Programming is an unnatural act.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Re: Tried a Nym, got this...

SubjectAuthor
* Tried a Nym, got this...Yamn Remailer
`* Re: Tried a Nym, got this...Yamn Remailer
 `* Re: Tried a Nym, got this...Yamn Remailer
  +* Re: Tried a Nym, got this...SEC3
  |+- Re: Tried a Nym, got this...Fritz Wuehler
  |`* Re: Tried a Nym, got this...Yamn Remailer
  | +- Re: Tried a Nym, got this...Nomen Nescio
  | `- Re: Tried a Nym, got this...Nomen Nescio
  `* Re: Tried a Nym, got this...Yamn Remailer
   `- Re: Tried a Nym, got this...Fritz Wuehler

1
Tried a Nym, got this...

<20230525.112117.3aecfe23@erienetworks.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14211&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14211

DKIM-Filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 sept-huit.erienetworks.net 767A3405FE
Subject: Tried a Nym, got this...
From: remai...@domain.invalid (Yamn Remailer)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 11:21:17 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Thu, 25 May 2023 15:21 UTC

In OmniMix...

Error creating nym configuration message for
'whatever@nymph.paranoici.org'

Asymmetric encryption - Exe call failed: ...
[GNUPG:] USERID_HINT NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN whatever
<whatever@nymph.paranoici.org>
[GNUPG:] NEED-PASSPHRASE NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
[GNUPG:] GOOD_PASSPHRASE
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED NNNNNNNNNN
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED depreciated-use-keyexpired-instead
gpg: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN: skipped: unusable public key
[GNUPG:] INV_RECP 0 NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
gpg: C:\Program files (x86)\OmniMix\gpg\tmp\txt_clr.953: sign+encrypt
failed: unusable public key
(The system cannot find the file specified.)

Re: Tried a Nym, got this...

<20230525.153624.69559061@erienetworks.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14212&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14212

DKIM-Filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 sept-huit.erienetworks.net 445F9405FE
Subject: Re: Tried a Nym, got this...
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 15:36:24 -0400
From: remai...@domain.invalid (Yamn Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Thu, 25 May 2023 19:36 UTC

Yamn Remailer <remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:

> In OmniMix...
>
> Error creating nym configuration message for
> 'whatever@nymph.paranoici.org'
>
> Asymmetric encryption - Exe call failed: ...
> [GNUPG:] USERID_HINT NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN whatever
> <whatever@nymph.paranoici.org>
> [GNUPG:] NEED-PASSPHRASE NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
> [GNUPG:] GOOD_PASSPHRASE
> [GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED NNNNNNNNNN
> [GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED depreciated-use-keyexpired-instead
> gpg: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN: skipped: unusable public key
> [GNUPG:] INV_RECP 0 NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
> gpg: C:\Program files (x86)\OmniMix\gpg\tmp\txt_clr.953: sign+encrypt
> failed: unusable public key
> (The system cannot find the file specified.)

An expired or missing public remailer key in one of your reply chains?
Are any of them in Nym Configurator > Nym Routing > Reply Chain (click <
and > to see all of them) marked with a red X? An expired Nym Server
key (as sign+encrypt should only happen towards the nymserver and Type-1
remailer keys and OM nym keys usually don't expire).

The expiration date is shown at the Key Properties tab after selecting
an item at the Keyring / Keys - Nym, Keys - Server or Keys - Remailer
list.

You may retry creating a config message (after clicking Modify use the
Config Msg button at the Nym Accounts tab) with an empty Reply Chain
section, then add your reply remailers one by one until the error
message appears.

Re: Tried a Nym, got this...

<20230527.160132.6e1667ae@mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14218&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14218

From: nore...@mixmin.net (Yamn Remailer)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 16:01:32 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Sat, 27 May 2023 15:01 UTC

On Thu 25 May 2023 10:36 pm, Yamn Remailer wrote:
> Yamn Remailer <remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In OmniMix...
>>
>> Error creating nym configuration message for
>> 'whatever@nymph.paranoici.org'
>>
>> Asymmetric encryption - Exe call failed: ...
>> [GNUPG:] USERID_HINT NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN whatever
>> <whatever@nymph.paranoici.org>
>> [GNUPG:] NEED-PASSPHRASE NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
>> [GNUPG:] GOOD_PASSPHRASE
>> [GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED NNNNNNNNNN
>> [GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED depreciated-use-keyexpired-instead
>> gpg: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN: skipped: unusable public key
>> [GNUPG:] INV_RECP 0 NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
>> gpg: C:\Program files (x86)\OmniMix\gpg\tmp\txt_clr.953: sign+encrypt
>> failed: unusable public key
>> (The system cannot find the file specified.)
>
> An expired or missing public remailer key in one of your reply chains?
> Are any of them in Nym Configurator > Nym Routing > Reply Chain (click <
> and > to see all of them) marked with a red X? An expired Nym Server
> key (as sign+encrypt should only happen towards the nymserver and Type-1
> remailer keys and OM nym keys usually don't expire).
>
> The expiration date is shown at the Key Properties tab after selecting
> an item at the Keyring / Keys - Nym, Keys - Server or Keys - Remailer
> list.
>
> You may retry creating a config message (after clicking Modify use the
> Config Msg button at the Nym Accounts tab) with an empty Reply Chain
> section, then add your reply remailers one by one until the error
> message appears.

No expired or missing keys and no red X.
Even with an empty chain, Config Msg button gives the same error as OP.

Re: Tried a Nym, got this...

<9%pcM.2213139$gGD7.774797@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14219&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14219

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 12:13:57 -0400
 by: SEC3 - Sat, 27 May 2023 16:13 UTC

On 5/27/23 11:01, Yamn Remailer wrote:
> On Thu 25 May 2023 10:36 pm, Yamn Remailer wrote:

>>> gpg: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN: skipped: unusable public key
>>> [GNUPG:] INV_RECP 0 NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
>>> gpg: C:\Program files (x86)\OmniMix\gpg\tmp\txt_clr.953: sign+encrypt
>>> failed: unusable public key

I don't have any OM-specific solution to offer you. But I can tell you
that I have encountered that GPG error before. I 've seen it when newer
GPG versions encounter older PGP2 style keys. Like the RSA key that
Senshi remailer uses. GPG 2.x.x simply rejects such keys, will not
import them into your keyring, and reports that they cannot be found.

What version of GnuPG are you using to generate your nym key?

--
SEC3

YAMN Help Tutorial - https://www.sec3.net/yamnhelp/

Re: Tried a Nym, got this...

<20230527.135728.29537ea8@erienetworks.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14220&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14220

DKIM-Filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 sept-huit.erienetworks.net D4DE040219
From: remai...@domain.invalid (Yamn Remailer)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 13:57:28 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Sat, 27 May 2023 17:57 UTC

Yamn Remailer <noreply@mixmin.net> wrote:

>On Thu 25 May 2023 10:36 pm, Yamn Remailer wrote:
>> Yamn Remailer <remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> In OmniMix...
>>>
>>> Error creating nym configuration message for
>>> 'whatever@nymph.paranoici.org'
>>>
>>> Asymmetric encryption - Exe call failed: ...
>>> [GNUPG:] USERID_HINT NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN whatever
>>> <whatever@nymph.paranoici.org>
>>> [GNUPG:] NEED-PASSPHRASE NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
>>> [GNUPG:] GOOD_PASSPHRASE
>>> [GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED NNNNNNNNNN
>>> [GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED depreciated-use-keyexpired-instead
>>> gpg: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN: skipped: unusable public key
>>> [GNUPG:] INV_RECP 0 NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
>>> gpg: C:\Program files (x86)\OmniMix\gpg\tmp\txt_clr.953: sign+encrypt
>>> failed: unusable public key
>>> (The system cannot find the file specified.)
>>
>> An expired or missing public remailer key in one of your reply chains?
>> Are any of them in Nym Configurator > Nym Routing > Reply Chain (click <
>> and > to see all of them) marked with a red X? An expired Nym Server
>> key (as sign+encrypt should only happen towards the nymserver and Type-1
>> remailer keys and OM nym keys usually don't expire).
>>
>> The expiration date is shown at the Key Properties tab after selecting
>> an item at the Keyring / Keys - Nym, Keys - Server or Keys - Remailer
>> list.
>>
>> You may retry creating a config message (after clicking Modify use the
>> Config Msg button at the Nym Accounts tab) with an empty Reply Chain
>> section, then add your reply remailers one by one until the error
>> message appears.
>>

>No expired or missing keys and no red X.
>Even with an empty chain, Config Msg button gives the same error as OP.

Are the NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN key IDs above all the same?
Does that ID belong to one of your nyms?
Was that key (re)imported, e.g. by an OM nym Export/Import cycle?
Did it ever work?
Do newly created nyms fail as well?
Is OM running in a Windows or Linux Wine environment?
Are you always running OM with the same OS user account?

Re: Tried a Nym, got this...

<20230528.002151.aaf867c8@remailer.frell.eu.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14221&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14221

From: fri...@spamexpire-202305.rodent.frell.theremailer.net (Fritz Wuehler)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 00:21:51 +0200
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Fritz Wuehler - Sat, 27 May 2023 22:21 UTC

In article <9%pcM.2213139$gGD7.774797@fx11.iad> SEC3 <admin@sec3.net>
wrote:

>I don't have any OM-specific solution to offer you. But I can tell you
>that I have encountered that GPG error before. I 've seen it when newer
>GPG versions encounter older PGP2 style keys. Like the RSA key that
>Senshi remailer uses. GPG 2.x.x simply rejects such keys, will not
>import them into your keyring, and reports that they cannot be found.
>
>What version of GnuPG are you using to generate your nym key?

According to Misc > Info > GnuPG Info OM 2.6.8 uses

| gpg (GnuPG - OmniMix Mod) 1.4.23
| Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
| This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
| There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
|
| Home: C:/Program Files/OmniMix/gpg
| Supported algorithms:
| Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
| Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
| CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
| Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

BTW, no problems here with loads of nyms.

Re: Tried a Nym, got this...

<20230528.022245.2bb695bd@erienetworks.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14222&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14222

DKIM-Filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 sept-huit.erienetworks.net 8644D4021A
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 02:22:45 -0400
From: remai...@domain.invalid (Yamn Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Sun, 28 May 2023 06:22 UTC

On Sat 27 May 2023 7:13 pm, SEC3 wrote:

> I don't have any OM-specific solution to offer you. But I can tell you
> that I have encountered that GPG error before. I 've seen it when newer
> GPG versions encounter older PGP2 style keys. Like the RSA key that
> Senshi remailer uses. GPG 2.x.x simply rejects such keys, will not
> import them into your keyring, and reports that they cannot be found.
>
> What version of GnuPG are you using to generate your nym key?

Using gpg4usb 0.3.3 (GPGME 1.1.5)

Re: Tried a Nym, got this...

<20230528.093814.6332d20d@remailer.frell.eu.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14223&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14223

From: fri...@spamexpire-202305.rodent.frell.theremailer.net (Fritz Wuehler)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 09:38:14 +0200
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Fritz Wuehler - Sun, 28 May 2023 07:38 UTC

On Sat 27 May 2023 8:57 pm, Yamn Remailer wrote:
> Yamn Remailer <noreply@mixmin.net> wrote:

>>> An expired or missing public remailer key in one of your reply chains?
>>> Are any of them in Nym Configurator > Nym Routing > Reply Chain (click <
>>> and > to see all of them) marked with a red X? An expired Nym Server
>>> key (as sign+encrypt should only happen towards the nymserver and Type-1
>>> remailer keys and OM nym keys usually don't expire).
>>>
>>> The expiration date is shown at the Key Properties tab after selecting
>>> an item at the Keyring / Keys - Nym, Keys - Server or Keys - Remailer
>>> list.
>>>
>>> You may retry creating a config message (after clicking Modify use the
>>> Config Msg button at the Nym Accounts tab) with an empty Reply Chain
>>> section, then add your reply remailers one by one until the error
>>> message appears.
>>>

>> No expired or missing keys and no red X.
>> Even with an empty chain, Config Msg button gives the same error as OP.
>
> Are the NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN key IDs above all the same?
> Does that ID belong to one of your nyms?
> Was that key (re)imported, e.g. by an OM nym Export/Import cycle?
> Did it ever work?
> Do newly created nyms fail as well?
> Is OM running in a Windows or Linux Wine environment?
> Are you always running OM with the same OS user account?

The first two entries (my nym) are the same:

[GNUPG:] USERID_HINT NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN whatever
<whatever@nymph.paranoici.org>
[GNUPG:] NEED-PASSPHRASE NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

and these two <send@nymph.paranoici.org> are the same:

gpg: 9EODA89E3C316DED: skipped: unusable public key
[GNUPG:] INV_RECP 0 9EODA89E3C316DED

I will try to create a new key & see what happens.

Re: Tried a Nym, got this...

<40ce875005363088f4aa6465d2ca68b8@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14224&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14224

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 10:09:30 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 28 May 2023 08:09 UTC

Yamn Remailer <remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat 27 May 2023 7:13 pm, SEC3 wrote:

>> I don't have any OM-specific solution to offer you. But I can tell you
>> that I have encountered that GPG error before. I 've seen it when newer
>> GPG versions encounter older PGP2 style keys. Like the RSA key that
>> Senshi remailer uses. GPG 2.x.x simply rejects such keys, will not
>> import them into your keyring, and reports that they cannot be found.
>>
>> What version of GnuPG are you using to generate your nym key?
>>

>Using gpg4usb 0.3.3 (GPGME 1.1.5)

Problem solved: Use what comes with OmniMix!

Re: Tried a Nym, got this...

<71c0a16abbf34a65126b79e023e7dafd@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14225&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14225

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 10:49:37 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 28 May 2023 08:49 UTC

In article <20230528.022245.2bb695bd@erienetworks.net> Yamn Remailer
<remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat 27 May 2023 7:13 pm, SEC3 wrote:

> > I don't have any OM-specific solution to offer you. But I can tell you
> > that I have encountered that GPG error before. I 've seen it when newer
> > GPG versions encounter older PGP2 style keys. Like the RSA key that
> > Senshi remailer uses. GPG 2.x.x simply rejects such keys, will not
> > import them into your keyring, and reports that they cannot be found.
> >
> > What version of GnuPG are you using to generate your nym key?
> >

> Using gpg4usb 0.3.3 (GPGME 1.1.5)

Why don't you simply click OM's "Create Key" button?
OM has a custom GnuPG 1.4.23 subsystem integrated.