Almost nothing in Perl serves a single purpose. -- Larry Wall in <199712040054.QAA13811@wall.org>

computers / alt.free.newsservers / Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?

SubjectAuthor
* Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?John Robertson
+* Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?Grant Taylor
|`* Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?Paul
| `- Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?Madhu
`* Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?David E. Ross
 `- Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?Ken Hart

1
Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?

<sivgmj$vdc$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1424&group=alt.free.newsservers#1424

From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Subject: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 18:43:08 +0200
 by: John Robertson - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:43 UTC

I can't get anything through nntp.aioe.org:119.

How about you?

Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?

<siviiu$moo$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1425&group=alt.free.newsservers#1425

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Subject: Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:10:56 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 17:10 UTC

On 9/28/21 10:43 AM, John Robertson wrote:
> I can't get anything through nntp.aioe.org:119.
>
> How about you?

My news reader gave me an error message about a timeout while trying to
connect.

Try again in 4-48 hours.

I'm still getting my money's worth out of the free service.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?

<sj00md$4be$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1426&group=alt.free.newsservers#1426

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 17:15:56 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 21:15 UTC

Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 9/28/21 10:43 AM, John Robertson wrote:
>> I can't get anything through nntp.aioe.org:119.
>>
>> How about you?
>
> My news reader gave me an error message about a timeout while trying to
> connect.
>
> Try again in 4-48 hours.
>
> I'm still getting my money's worth out of the free service.

The server used, is in a COLO, which means it has
reasonably reliable power and network access.

This is not a setup cobbled in a basement somewhere.

But in a COLO, just about anything can happen with
regard to humans pulling out the wrong cable when
working on something.

Perhaps a backhoe, cut through two fiber optic cables
coming into the building, and "removed" their
networking.

I even saw a picture a few months ago, of a facility
like that which was on fire, and the fire spread
from floor to floor. You would not think there would
be sufficient fuel load for a fire in places like that.

Paul

Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?

<m3v92kywv8.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1427&group=alt.free.newsservers#1427

From: enom...@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 07:19:15 +0530
 by: Madhu - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 01:49 UTC

* Paul <sj00md$4be$1@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Tue, 28 Sep 2021 17:15:56 -0400:
> The server used, is in a COLO, which means it has
> reasonably reliable power and network access.
>
> This is not a setup cobbled in a basement somewhere.
>
> But in a COLO, just about anything can happen with
> regard to humans pulling out the wrong cable when
> working on something.
>
> Perhaps a backhoe, cut through two fiber optic cables
> coming into the building, and "removed" their
> networking.

(by way of xkcd-recent)

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 23:10:46 -0500 (CDT)
From: Emad
To: SlashNET Opers
Subject: [opers] Area51 and off/on

There seems to be a lot of confusion over area51's recent
netsplits and downtimes. I hope to clear this all up below:

[Scene 1]
Setting: 1961, Baltimore Maryland
Two men appear to be making an exchange of sorts,
both are dressed formally in business attire.

Man1: I'm sure you'll enjoy our products. This is how you know
you're in the big time. We allow you access to select
products. As you become more involved we shall
introduce you to an expanded catalog of our goods.
Man2: (russian accent) you're prices are exhorbitant but your
reputation and quality speak for themeselves. It is
an honor to do business with you, comrade.
Man1: (disgusted) We are no one's comrades.
Man2: forgive me.
Man1: I shall say good day to you.

[Scene 2]
Setting: Present Day, Somewhere in North Texas
A lone worker toils in a rather dark mine shaft
He is muttering to himself.
Worker: grr, I've gotta come here on a Sunday! I better get my
12 grains of salt and head back.
(worker takes grains of salt, and places them in a bejeweled case)

[Scene 3]
Setting: Exact Same time as previous scene, Omaha NE
College Dorm room. The door is open and you see the hallway.
You hear scraping. The camera pans out to someone who appears to
be sharpening a knife.
Student: Damn napster! Damn napster! I am so freaking lagged!
(You hear/feel a sudden boom of bass)
Student: Oh man they'll pay! They'll ALL pay!

[Scene 4]
Setting: Sometime later, Richardson, TX
Worker from scene 2 arrives at a building carrying his case.
A number of satellites cover the area around the building.
The building is shaped flat and square, almost cracker-like.
He is greated by a bespeckled man in black
Man: Do you have the all important chloride?
Worker: Yes. You're work is done. Begone with you!
Man: Yes, sir.
(Worker enters the building and locks the door behind him)

[Scene 5]
Setting: 4 days later, Baltimore, Maryland
The scene is very familiar to the first one. In fact it is in the
exact same location as scene 1. The worker is this time dressed
in business attire and is met by another character. He looks like
he is of relation to the russian guy in 1961. Possibly his son
Man: Thank you for meeting with me.
Worker: We have decided to give you a 1 year reprieve.
Doing business with us is a priviledge. Don't ruin it like
you did 29 years ago or you will wait another 30 years to hear
from us.
Man: We will take care not to make that mistake again.
(Worker and man exchange packages)

[Scene 6]
Setting: Minutes later, The offices of min.net, Server room.
You catch the glistening of a knife as the door opens
Man: mmm, Crackers!
Student: (jumps out of shadows) Give me them!
(A struggle ensues, the knife slashes wildly cutting cabling and
damaging equipment)
Man: You are not worthy!
(Area51's cable gets cut)
Man: These are more important than area51!
Student: We'll see about that!
(student begins to kick area51)
(man walks out of the room, savoring each cracker bite)
Man: ha ha, I finally see the crackers!

-=[ T H E E N D ]=-

Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?

<sj0se5$o41$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1428&group=alt.free.newsservers#1428

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 22:09:24 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 05:09 UTC

It appears that the Web site at <https://news.aioe.org/> is also down.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Re: Is Paolo having problems with aioe today?

<sj15h3$1ivf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1429&group=alt.free.newsservers#1429

From: kwha...@frontier.com (Ken Hart)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 03:44:44 -0400
 by: Ken Hart - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 07:44 UTC

On 9/29/2021 7:9 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> It appears that the Web site at <https://news.aioe.org/> is also down.

https://news.aioe.org/ is up at the moment.
If you get this, then the nntp server is also up.
If you don't get this, then the nntp server is still down.

--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com