From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Humble Choice - November 2023
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 14:10:09 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:10 UTC

Another month begins, and you know what that means: new games
available on HumbleChoice. Nothing beats free games, but HumbleChoice
- with is inexpensive selection (8 games for $12USD) is nearly as
good. Well, assuming any of the games on tap are to your taste.

So let's see what we get this month.

* Hardspace: Shipbreaker
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1161580/Hardspace_Shipbreaker/
Sort of a survival/work-sim... except IN SPAAAAACE!
Rip apart derelict - and surprisingly well detailed! -
spaceships to sell the parts that let you buy tool
upgrades that let you more efficiently rip up more
spaceships. Oh, and also oxygen, if you're the sort who
needs that sort of thing. I'm not sure this game has
the longevity to keep me entertained for very long, but
it's fun in short bursts.

* WWE 2K23
https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1942660/
Meh. American professional wrestling; it's never
been my thing. But if you like that sort of game,
this one is good enough, even if it doesn't really
add much to the formula and seems to suffer from a
few serious bugs.

* Unpacking
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135690/Unpacking/
A puzzle game where you need to unpack a house
worth of cardboard boxes and place everything
in their appropriate place. Honestly, I'm not
sure where the challenge of the game actually
lies, but it has a certain understated charm
that makes it seem like a very relaxing game
to play.

* Friends vs Friends
https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1785150/
An online shooter. Apparently has some sort of
deck-building mechanic too. It has a very
cartoony aesthetic. Really not my thing.

* The Legend of Tianding
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1406850/The_Legend_of_Tianding/
A side-scrolling action game, apparently
based on a Tawainese folk-hero. I suppose it's
a good enough game, but the movement seems very
(purposefully) choppy and the manga-like close-ups
interrupting the gameplay annoyed me even when
just watching the trailer. It definitely looks
like an acquired taste; enjoyable if you put the
effort into liking it, but not something for casual
fans of the genre.

* SCP: Secret Files
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1718130/SCP_Secret_Files/
An adventure game detailing a series of short
paranormal cases set in the SCP universe. Each chapter
is its own unique game - with its own visual style
and gameplay - so there's some good variety. But
there's also a distinct lack of polish (and more
than a few bugs). I've always enjoyed the SCP mythos
so I'm willing to overlook those problems, but the
lack of consistency and quality may annoy some.

* Souldiers
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1419160/Souldiers/
A retro-graphic'd (I think we're supposed to
call it pixel graphics now?) action-sidescroller.
Run'n'jump, and whack anything that stands in your
way with your tiny sword (or arrow, or spell; there
are multiple character classes). Then run back to
the way you came after you find the tool to unlock
that door you passed the first time through. Fun,
if somewhat lacking in final polish.

* Prodeus
https://store.steampowered.com/app/964800/Prodeus/
An old-school boomer-shooter, albeit without
the usual retro-graphics. Run around maze-like
levels carrying an arsenal of vaguely futuristic
weapons and shoot the usual assortment of demonic
alien-zombie-thingees to a rockin' hard-metal
soundtrack. Not very original, but well made.

Personally, I think this is a fairly good month for HumbleChoice
(YMMV). "Prodeus" and "Hardspace" are alone worth the price of entry;
"SCP" and "Unpacking" look interesting too. The others are less
appealing (well, other than "WWE" and "Friends v Friends", neither of
which are my bag). But overall a good haul.

Do you agree? Are you tempted by this month's offerings? Or do none of
these games appeal to you (or you just generally aren't interested in
HumbleChoice)? Well, you have a month to decide.