"Imitation is the sincerest form of television." -- The New Mighty Mouse

computers / news.admin.peering / Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

SubjectAuthor
* [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamIvo Gandolfo
+- Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamnews.usenet.ovh Admin
+* Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamNigel Reed
|+* Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamIvo Gandolfo
||+* Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamMarco Moock
|||+* Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamIvo Gandolfo
|||`* Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamAdam W.
||| `- Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamRink
||`- Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamNigel Reed
|+- Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamIvo Gandolfo
|`- Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamHoly Roman Transarchy
`* Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamllp
 `- Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.teamIvo Gandolfo

1
[LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<ucqnp2$ijdi$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=759&group=news.admin.peering#759

From: use...@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Subject: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 20:56:34 +0200
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:56 UTC

Hi Admin's,

today I have checked the configuration of my server, and discovered a
lot of my peer's are death/admin's not respond/project no longer support
usenet/etc.

I have lost a lot of peering, actually I have only 3 active peer.
We are looking for new peering to mantain a good upstream.

This is my data:
Accept from / Send to: paganini.bofh.team
NNTP Port: 119
NNTPS Port: 563
Hostname: paganini.bofh.team (Resolves to both IPv4 and IPv6)
IPv4 IP: 94.23.43.182
IPv6 Address: 2001:41d0:2:2cb6::1
Path Token: paganini.bofh.team!
Article: no bin, text only
Contact: Ivo Gandolfo - usenet {at} bofh dot team
Abuse: usenet {at} bofh dot team

Just write to my email with your data, thank's in advance for your
cooperation, and happy peering!

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo
Newsmaster

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<m122fi54ej7ro549ovju79bi5m6amtau2o@consensus-omnium>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=760&group=news.admin.peering#760

From: new...@usenet.ovh (news.usenet.ovh Admin)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Subject: Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 23:38:47 +0200
 by: news.usenet.ovh Admi - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 21:38 UTC

Ivo Gandolfo <usenet@bofh.team> composa la prose suivante:

>Just write to my email with your data, thank's in advance for your
>cooperation, and happy peering!

I send you a mail.

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<20230901124735.37838ba3@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=761&group=news.admin.peering#761

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:47:35 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 17:47 UTC

On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 20:56:34 +0200
Ivo Gandolfo <usenet@bofh.team> wrote:

> Hi Admin's,
>
> today I have checked the configuration of my server, and discovered a
> lot of my peer's are death/admin's not respond/project no longer
> support usenet/etc.
>
> I have lost a lot of peering, actually I have only 3 active peer.
> We are looking for new peering to mantain a good upstream.
>

> This is my data:
> Accept from / Send to: paganini.bofh.team
> NNTP Port: 119
> NNTPS Port: 563
> Hostname: paganini.bofh.team (Resolves to both IPv4 and IPv6)
> IPv4 IP: 94.23.43.182
> IPv6 Address: 2001:41d0:2:2cb6::1
> Path Token: paganini.bofh.team!
> Article: no bin, text only
> Contact: Ivo Gandolfo - usenet {at} bofh dot team
> Abuse: usenet {at} bofh dot team
>
> Just write to my email with your data, thank's in advance for your
> cooperation, and happy peering!
>

> Sincerely

Reference paganini.bofh.team - are there coming on-topic posts? in
news.admin.net-abuse.usenet

Maybe that is why people have dropped you.

I believe we are still peers and I see no reason to until a bunch of
news admins email me and persuade me, for the better of usenet, to drop
the feed.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<ucte19$14of$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=762&group=news.admin.peering#762

From: use...@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:28:40 +0200
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 19:28 UTC

On 01/09/2023 19:47, Nigel Reed wrote:
> Reference paganini.bofh.team - are there coming on-topic posts? in
> news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
>
> Maybe that is why people have dropped you.
>
> I believe we are still peers and I see no reason to until a bunch of
> news admins email me and persuade me, for the better of usenet, to drop
> the feed.

What you say is breaking my heart, for some reason's.
My dead peer's it's for a simple reason: the admin closed the server (8
case's). In little case don't respond (1 ISP and 1 private server). The
rest no longer support Usenet (14/15 ISP's and private server's, they
word's).
And when u asked for a feed I didn't back down and offered my help. And
for the same reason also on NANAU I replied to those who asked the
questions, and I keep track of what happens every day, I'm not one of
those administrators who set up the server, and then don't care about
anything and let it go on its own .
I tried every day to follow the progress of usenet, and if any abuse is
committed up to remedy. But obviously complaining about it in a usenet
group without sending an email to the administrator also seems useless
to me (I have always replied to the emails that arrive and ask for
clarifications or asking to remedy some problem).
I currently have several user's, and viewing _all_ the posts made is
something humanly not possible, and that's why I rely on filters and
bot's to help me with this, unfortunately this is not enough.
I hope people open the headers of the posts that come from my server,
look at the header where my email is indicated, and contact me
indicating that there is a problem, then of course it's up to me to fix it.

But to say that my server is pure shit, without obviously contacting me
is also malice.
Sorry for the outburst, but when it's needed it's needed.

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<uctflt$1235$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=763&group=news.admin.peering#763

From: use...@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:56:45 +0200
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 19:56 UTC

On 01/09/2023 20:30, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
> this planet :-) am I bothered about this/ NO; I'm just smiling about the
> hypocrisy of administrators of these news-servers. They allow nutters to
> post complete crap (e.g. alt.free.newsservers) but real problem solving
> emails on Windows newsgroups (10 and 11) are not allowed.
bofh@paganini:~$ telnet paganini.bofh.team 119
Trying ::1...
Connected to paganini.bofh.team.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 paganini.bofh.team InterNetNews server INN 2.6.4 ready (transit mode)
mode reader
200 paganini.bofh.team InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.6.4 ready (posting ok)
group alt.comp.os.windows-10
211 73658 14273 176625 alt.comp.os.windows-10
group alt.comp.os.windows-11
211 10562 1 10574 alt.comp.os.windows-11
quit
205 Bye!
Connection closed by foreign host.

We porting 70k+ messages on windows 10, and 10k+ on windows 11. I don't
know how much post have your provider. If you wish you're welcome on my
server. (And I agree for some shit passing on a.f.n., not at all, but
some...)

You're welcome...

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<uctgdh$8b8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=764&group=news.admin.peering#764

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 22:09:20 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 20:09 UTC

Am 01.09.2023 um 21:28:40 Uhr schrieb Ivo Gandolfo:

> But to say that my server is pure shit, without obviously contacting
> me is also malice.
> Sorry for the outburst, but when it's needed it's needed.

If that was my post, I would like to apologize, it wasn't my intention.
It was just a general question and in case of abuse I emailed you - you
also replied, which is great.
If I see any abuse, I will tell you.
One point would be to enable that the IP of the poster is being shown.
This would make it easier to block certain people, but will give
everyone this information.
It is up to you if you like to enable that.

I simply noticed that I never saw a regular "normal" post (on-topic, no
flame, no name forgery, no trollpost) from paganini.bofh.team, although
I only read a small amount of Usenet.

I sometimes create kill files when something annoys me and then I
remove entries after some time, especially if they cover a lot and maybe
also interesting posts.

I didn't do that for paganini, but I did that for Mixmin. Mixmin didn't
cared about abuse at all.

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<ucth8k$19rd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=765&group=news.admin.peering#765

From: imper...@butt.plug (Holy Roman Transarchy)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:28:58 -0500
 by: Holy Roman Transarch - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 20:28 UTC

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:47:35 -0500
Nigel Reed <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 20:56:34 +0200
> Ivo Gandolfo <usenet@bofh.team> wrote:
>
> > Hi Admin's,
> >
> > today I have checked the configuration of my server, and discovered
> > a lot of my peer's are death/admin's not respond/project no longer
> > support usenet/etc.
> >
> > I have lost a lot of peering, actually I have only 3 active peer.
> > We are looking for new peering to mantain a good upstream.
> >

> > This is my data:
> > Accept from / Send to: paganini.bofh.team
> > NNTP Port: 119
> > NNTPS Port: 563
> > Hostname: paganini.bofh.team (Resolves to both IPv4 and IPv6)
> > IPv4 IP: 94.23.43.182
> > IPv6 Address: 2001:41d0:2:2cb6::1
> > Path Token: paganini.bofh.team!
> > Article: no bin, text only
> > Contact: Ivo Gandolfo - usenet {at} bofh dot team
> > Abuse: usenet {at} bofh dot team
> >
> > Just write to my email with your data, thank's in advance for your
> > cooperation, and happy peering!
> >

> > Sincerely
> >

> Reference paganini.bofh.team - are there coming on-topic posts? in
> news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
>
> Maybe that is why people have dropped you.
>
> I believe we are still peers and I see no reason to until a bunch of
> news admins email me and persuade me, for the better of usenet, to
> drop the feed.

So has the Holy Roman Transarchy and Church of Wokeism moved its
censorship machine onto Usenet? Are they going to act out a kabuki
theatre show about gradually "cracking down" on trolls and "Nazis"?

The real motive is not "Nazis" but rather silencing dissent.

Stay strong Ivo. Don't knuckle under to the Transarchy. They want
power--any dishonest and posturing way they can get it. Deny them that.

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<ucukn5$7it1$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=766&group=news.admin.peering#766

From: use...@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 08:28:53 +0200
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 06:28 UTC

On 01/09/2023 22:09, Marco Moock wrote:
> If that was my post, I would like to apologize, it wasn't my intention.

Hi Marco! oh no, absolutely, it is your full right to ask those
questions and is my duty to answer you. My outburst was aimed at other
people.

> One point would be to enable that the IP of the poster is being shown.
> This would make it easier to block certain people, but will give
> everyone this information.

Short answer: At present no. For various reason. But you can use other
way to block them (for example the Path: header, or other X-header present).

Long answer: My politics have always been "almost" the same as the
philosophy that led Tim Skirvin to create free.*. You are free to do
what you want, as long as this right doesn't infringe on someone else's
right to do the same. I also always try to enforce common civic sense
and the rules of common coexistence.
I use for my server "postfilter", a software written in perl that does
several things. It was maintained by Aioe (Paolo Amoroso), but I have no
idea if he is the official creator. I think the credits belong to
someone else. I am expanding its functionality. Among these there is
also the fact of saving the logs and the crypt of some information
(which is still saved on my server unencrypted). I have already
collaborated with some police forces who have asked me for information
(which, however, did not go far as they are Tor exit-nodes). Also right
now I'm working on implementing a hidden service, so that Tor users can
post directly without going through exit nodes, and other changes and
improvements, stay tuned.

> I didn't do that for paganini, but I did that for Mixmin. Mixmin didn't
> cared about abuse at all.

Great ;) I hope it stays that way for the future.

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo

Why was free.* started? (was: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team)

<ucviho$esg2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=767&group=news.admin.peering#767

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Subject: Why was free.* started? (was: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team)
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 14:58:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 14:58 UTC

Ivo Gandolfo <usenet@bofh.team> wrote:

>. . .

>Long answer: My politics have always been "almost" the same as the
>philosophy that led Tim Skirvin to create free.*.

Uh, Skirv had engaged Hipcrime, who among other things, was complaining
that alt.* had restrictions, an absurd complaint.

News administrators were starting to deplay spam countermeasures...
against Hipcrime and later, the Hipclones. Skirv just said that News
administrators would be discouraged from using countermeasures against
articles in free.* as long as they weren't crossposted.

Skirv thought this was a brilliant idea that would somehow discourage
Hipcrime's continuing attacks upon Usenet.

Of course it couldn't have worked.

It wasn't a "philosophy" but an act of desperation. It failed to
achieve any stated goal of getting Hipclone to stop attacking Usenet.

>. . .

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<20230903164156.5daa5236@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=768&group=news.admin.peering#768

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 16:41:56 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 21:41 UTC

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:28:40 +0200
Ivo Gandolfo <usenet@bofh.team> wrote:

> On 01/09/2023 19:47, Nigel Reed wrote:
> > Reference paganini.bofh.team - are there coming on-topic posts? in
> > news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
> >
> > Maybe that is why people have dropped you.
> >
> > I believe we are still peers and I see no reason to until a bunch
> > of news admins email me and persuade me, for the better of usenet,
> > to drop the feed.
>
> What you say is breaking my heart, for some reason's.

Sorry you feel that way, but as I said, I have no intention of dropping
any of my peers unless I get a lot of complaints and so far, I've had 0
complains about any of my peers from anyone, so we're all good.

Of course, the post I refer to is just one person's opinion and not
necessarily that of all usenet admins and/or users and I should have
stated that. We're all good as far as I'm concerned and have no issue
peering with you.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<uljrmj$p5k$1$arnold@news.chmurka.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1247&group=news.admin.peering#1247

From: gof-cut-...@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 09:46:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:XeEBo1bXxLO52egP11MFedF9uEU= sha256:xZ1K7QhO0nW6c8XKDVHemTjSQ8yB/8Pbk+4rhkalF70=
sha1:MjA58QP6S5Tm5W3prrcGb9I1N3g= sha256:hT6KeyIYpbvvYy8yD0tNRDh5hSDRHquNjNT0P55sdHQ=
 by: Adam W. - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 09:46 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

> I simply noticed that I never saw a regular "normal" post (on-topic, no
> flame, no name forgery, no trollpost) from paganini.bofh.team, although
> I only read a small amount of Usenet.

I saw some normal (genuine) posts in pl.* groups from paganini. Some
Polish users (like 5 or so) use it.

Ivo, I sent you an email and set up peering on my side (news.chmurka.net).

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<umvf23$2bu2l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1418&group=news.admin.peering#1418

From: rink.hof...@planet.nl (Rink)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 23:41:06 +0100
 by: Rink - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 22:41 UTC

Op 16-12-2023 om 10:46 schreef Adam W.:
> Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
>
>> I simply noticed that I never saw a regular "normal" post (on-topic, no
>> flame, no name forgery, no trollpost) from paganini.bofh.team, although
>> I only read a small amount of Usenet.
>
> I saw some normal (genuine) posts in pl.* groups from paganini. Some
> Polish users (like 5 or so) use it.
>
> Ivo, I sent you an email and set up peering on my side (news.chmurka.net).

I post in Dutch language groups via paganini.bofh.team
So: those are normal posts

(I post in English language groups via eternal-september)

Rink

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<unb3pb$umpa$1@news.usenet.ovh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1431&group=news.admin.peering#1431

From: llp...@news.usenet.ovh (llp)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 09:42:18 +0100
 by: llp - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 08:42 UTC

Ivo Gandolfo wrote :
> Hi Admin's,
>
> today I have checked the configuration of my server, and discovered a lot of
> my peer's are death/admin's not respond/project no longer support usenet/etc.
>
> I have lost a lot of peering, actually I have only 3 active peer.
> We are looking for new peering to mantain a good upstream.

Too many third-party cancellations of legitimate items come from
your server.

Due to these abuse from your server and your willingness to continue
supporting them, our peering will be stopped today.

I'm sad about it.

Sincerely.

Re: [LFP] Looking For Peering paganini.bofh.team

<unbe9r$3q42k$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1432&group=news.admin.peering#1432

From: use...@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 12:41:47 +0100
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 11:41 UTC

On 06/01/2024 09:42, llp wrote:

> Due to these abuse from your server and your willingness to continue
> supporting them, our peering will be stopped today.

As you wish, peer removed.

> I'm sad about it.

I don't think so

Sincerely