Yes I have a Machintosh, please don't scream at me. -- Larry Blumette on linux-kernel

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: search for groups in pan

SubjectAuthor
* search for groups in panJoseph Rosevear
+* Re: search for groups in panJoseph Rosevear
|`* Re: search for groups in panJoseph Rosevear
| `- Re: search for groups in panHenrik Carlqvist
`* Re: search for groups in panLew Pitcher
 +- Re: search for groups in panJoseph Rosevear
 `* Re: search for groups in panbad sector
  `- Re: search for groups in panAugust Werner

1
search for groups in pan

<th7fdt$1kd$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1429&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1429

From: Mai...@JoesLife.org (Joseph Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: search for groups in pan
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:18:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joseph Rosevear - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:18 UTC

Hello all,

I'm sorry to post this twice--but I don't know where the first try went.

Does anyone know how to search for groups using the pan news reader?

-Joe

Re: search for groups in pan

<th7g5f$ol0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1430&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1430

From: Mai...@JoesLife.org (Joseph Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: search for groups in pan
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:30:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joseph Rosevear - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:30 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:18:21 -0000 (UTC), Joseph Rosevear wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm sorry to post this twice--but I don't know where the first try went.
>
> Does anyone know how to search for groups using the pan news reader?
>
> -Joe

Sorry, again. I'm *really* new to pan. I found where the first try
went. It was in the list, but the list was not sorted by date. Ha.

And I found how to search the groups. You simply type what you wish to
search for in the "groups" search tool. That's easy.

But, oddly, if I search for slackware I can't find this group. Hmmm.
What's that about?

-Joe

Re: search for groups in pan

<th7g7p$10orc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1431&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1431

From: lew.pitc...@digitalfreehold.ca (Lew Pitcher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:32:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lew Pitcher - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:32 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:18:21 +0000, Joseph Rosevear wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm sorry to post this twice--but I don't know where the first try went.
>
> Does anyone know how to search for groups using the pan news reader?
>
> -Joe

Hi, Joe

I use pan 0.139 (self-compiled, Slackware 14.2), so perhaps I can help.

First off, make sure that you have the "toolbar" enabled
_V_iew -> Show Toolbar
In this toolbar, you will find the group search textbox

As for a list of groups, make sure that you have the "Group Pane" enabled:
_V_iew -> _L_ayout -> Show Group Pane (Cntl + 1)
This will put a "Group" windowpane to one side of the pan window. In it
you should find two lists: "Subscribed Groups" and "Other Groups".
The "Subscribed Groups" list will (if you undo the sidearrow twisty into
a downarrow) show all the groups you have subscribed to, while the "Other
Groups" list will (again, after undoing the sidearrow twisty) show you all
the groups that you have not subscribed to.

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Re: search for groups in pan

<th7gba$ol0$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1432&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1432

From: Mai...@JoesLife.org (Joseph Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:34:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joseph Rosevear - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:34 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:30:55 -0000 (UTC), Joseph Rosevear wrote:

[snip]
> Sorry, again. I'm *really* new to pan. I found where the first try
> went. It was in the list, but the list was not sorted by date. Ha.
>
> And I found how to search the groups. You simply type what you wish to
> search for in the "groups" search tool. That's easy.
>
> But, oddly, if I search for slackware I can't find this group. Hmmm.
> What's that about?
>
> -Joe

Ah.

Maybe this group doesn't show, because--being that I have already
subscribed to it, it isn't in the list.

-Joe

Re: search for groups in pan

<th7grd$ol0$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1433&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1433

From: Mai...@JoesLife.org (Joseph Rosevear)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:42:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joseph Rosevear - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:42 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:32:09 -0000 (UTC), Lew Pitcher wrote:

> I use pan 0.139 (self-compiled, Slackware 14.2), so perhaps I can help.
>
> First off, make sure that you have the "toolbar" enabled
> _V_iew -> Show Toolbar
> In this toolbar, you will find the group search textbox
>
> As for a list of groups, make sure that you have the "Group Pane"
> enabled:
> _V_iew -> _L_ayout -> Show Group Pane (Cntl + 1)
> This will put a "Group" windowpane to one side of the pan window. In it
> you should find two lists: "Subscribed Groups" and "Other Groups".
> The "Subscribed Groups" list will (if you undo the sidearrow twisty into
> a downarrow) show all the groups you have subscribed to, while the
> "Other Groups" list will (again, after undoing the sidearrow twisty)
> show you all the groups that you have not subscribed to.
>
> HTH

See my other post--I think I figured it out. And I already had the tool
bar enabled also group, header and body panes enabled. But thank you for
your tips--I needed some review.

And you confirmed my suspicion--a group is either subscribed or not, so a
group will appear in one list or the other, but not both.

-Joe

Re: search for groups in pan

<lbidnQv8MIKlG6r-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1435&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1435

From: forget...@postit.INVALID.gov (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 00:13:44 +0000
 by: bad sector - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 00:13 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:32:09 -0000 (UTC), Lew Pitcher wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:18:21 +0000, Joseph Rosevear wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm sorry to post this twice--but I don't know where the first try went.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to search for groups using the pan news reader?
>>
>> -Joe
>
> Hi, Joe
>
> I use pan 0.139 (self-compiled, Slackware 14.2), so perhaps I can help.
>
> First off, make sure that you have the "toolbar" enabled
> _V_iew -> Show Toolbar
> In this toolbar, you will find the group search textbox
>
> As for a list of groups, make sure that you have the "Group Pane" enabled:
> _V_iew -> _L_ayout -> Show Group Pane (Cntl + 1)
> This will put a "Group" windowpane to one side of the pan window. In it
> you should find two lists: "Subscribed Groups" and "Other Groups".
> The "Subscribed Groups" list will (if you undo the sidearrow twisty into
> a downarrow) show all the groups you have subscribed to, while the "Other
> Groups" list will (again, after undoing the sidearrow twisty) show you all
> the groups that you have not subscribed to.

Nice show, thank you, I'm also very new to Pan and
find it quite a paradigm shift. I'm a little surprised
that there aren't more pro utube tutorials about using it.

> HTH

Re: search for groups in pan

<jpq9n3FipevU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1436&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1436

From: august-w...@invalid.invalid (August Werner)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 1 Oct 2022 07:48:51 GMT
 by: August Werner - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 07:48 UTC

ad sector schrieb:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:32:09 -0000 (UTC), Lew Pitcher wrote:
>

> Nice show, thank you, I'm also very new to Pan and find it quite a
> paradigm shift.

I, for example, am not new to Pan. I have been using Pan for years.
Previously I had used Gravity on Win-98-something. It was quite a change
to switch from old Win to Linux and from Gravity to Pan2 (More: First
from OE to Pegasus Mail then finally to Claws Mail and Pan). That was
many years ago now. You just have to be willing to take note of the
different functionality, be willing to explore and learn the programs.

As eMail client I use "Claws Mail" today; has a news-reader-built-in.
You can also try it out.

>[...]I'm a little surprised that there aren't more pro utube tutorials
about using it.
Linuxers are independently able to learn how programs work.

Re: search for groups in pan

<thbp16$1m17v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1438&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1438

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 10:26:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 10:26 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:34:02 +0000, Joseph Rosevear wrote:
> Maybe this group doesn't show, because--being that I have already
> subscribed to it, it isn't in the list.

It doesn't show when it is already your selected group. However, if you
select another group in your list of subscribed groups and search for
something like "slackware" your favorite group alt.os.linux.slackware
will show up.

regards Henrik