computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32paltysork
+* Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32TimS
|+* Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32nospam
||`* Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32Alan B
|| +- Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32nospam
|| `- Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32Your Name
|`- Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32Your Name
`- Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32Wolffan

1
Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32

<39ba9298-0530-431e-9dba-6153ace2d861n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14503&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14503

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 04:19:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32
From: gedimina...@gmail.com (paltysork)
 by: paltysork - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 11:19 UTC

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 5:10:13 a.m. UTC+3, Davoud wrote:
> On at least one of my Macs the system is /apparently/ not equivalent to
> Windows in formatting a USB stick as FAT32.
>
> I have always had success formatting USB sticks as FAT32 from Mac OS.
> By "success" I mean that others and myself have been able read and
> write to the FAT32 sticks from a variety of Mac OS and Windows
> computers without apparent errors.
>
> I recently bought a car that allows uploading startup-screen photos to
> its 12.3-in. GPS/Audio/Etc. display. It requires that a FAT32 drive be
> inserted into either of two USB ports in the center console. The drive
> must contain a top-level folder named "Image" that contains jpg (or
> jpeg) images. I formatted a USB drive as FAT32 under El Capitan and
> followed all instructions to the letter. Upon inserting the stick in
> the USB port the car's electronics apparently recognized it, reporting
> (correctly) that no music files were on the drive. When I went to the
> "Upload Photos" menu the system reported that no photos could be found.
>
> After a couple of tries I booted my MBP in Win 7 Pro. I reformatted the
> drive and copied the "Images" directory from within Win 7. This time
> the car recognized the "Images" folder and quickly uploaded the images.
>
> That done, I rebooted El Capitan and repeated the process--formatting,
> etc.--and the car again could not read the drive. Curiously, the car
> manufacturer's instructional video shows a man copying files to the
> drive from a MacBook Pro (but says nothing about where the drive was
> formatted).
>
> Anyone know what gives here?
>
> TIA!
>
> --
> I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
> you will say in your entire life.
>
> usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
SHUT UP!!!!!

Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32

<jj2m8jFspsjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14504&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14504

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (TimS)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 11 Jul 2022 13:18:11 GMT
 by: TimS - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 13:18 UTC

On 11 Jul 2022 at 12:19:00 BST, paltysork <gediminasarba6@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 5:10:13 a.m. UTC+3, Davoud wrote:
>> On at least one of my Macs the system is /apparently/ not equivalent to
>> Windows in formatting a USB stick as FAT32.
>>
>> I have always had success formatting USB sticks as FAT32 from Mac OS.
>> By "success" I mean that others and myself have been able read and
>> write to the FAT32 sticks from a variety of Mac OS and Windows
>> computers without apparent errors.
>>
>> I recently bought a car that allows uploading startup-screen photos to
>> its 12.3-in. GPS/Audio/Etc. display. It requires that a FAT32 drive be
>> inserted into either of two USB ports in the center console. The drive
>> must contain a top-level folder named "Image" that contains jpg (or
>> jpeg) images. I formatted a USB drive as FAT32 under El Capitan and
>> followed all instructions to the letter. Upon inserting the stick in
>> the USB port the car's electronics apparently recognized it, reporting
>> (correctly) that no music files were on the drive. When I went to the
>> "Upload Photos" menu the system reported that no photos could be found.
>>
>> After a couple of tries I booted my MBP in Win 7 Pro. I reformatted the
>> drive and copied the "Images" directory from within Win 7. This time
>> the car recognized the "Images" folder and quickly uploaded the images.
>>
>> That done, I rebooted El Capitan and repeated the process--formatting,
>> etc.--and the car again could not read the drive. Curiously, the car
>> manufacturer's instructional video shows a man copying files to the
>> drive from a MacBook Pro (but says nothing about where the drive was
>> formatted).

You probably want to go into Terminal and delete any invisible files such as
..DS_Store from the drive after formatting it under macOS.

--
Tim

Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32

<110720221013311303%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14505&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14505

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 10:13:31 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 14:13 UTC

In article <jj2m8jFspsjU1@mid.individual.net>, TimS
<timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2022 at 12:19:00 BST, paltysork <gediminasarba6@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 5:10:13 a.m. UTC+3, Davoud wrote:
> >> On at least one of my Macs the system is /apparently/ not equivalent to
> >> Windows in formatting a USB stick as FAT32.

> You probably want to go into Terminal and delete any invisible files such as
> .DS_Store from the drive after formatting it under macOS.

the original post was *eight* years ago, and there's a very good chance
that it no longer matters.

Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32

<tahpek$1p2a9$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14506&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14506

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 19:16:52 +0100
 by: Alan B - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 18:16 UTC

On 11 Jul 2022, nospam wrote
(in article<110720221013311303%nospam@nospam.invalid>):

> In article<jj2m8jFspsjU1@mid.individual.net>, TimS
> <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:

> > You probably want to go into Terminal and delete any invisible files such as
> > .DS_Store from the drive after formatting it under macOS.
>
> the original post was *eight* years ago, and there's a very good chance
> that it no longer matters.

And a chance that the OP no longer monitors the group?

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32

<110720221458226784%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14507&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14507

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 14:58:22 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 18:58 UTC

In article <tahpek$1p2a9$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>,
Alan B <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> > > You probably want to go into Terminal and delete any invisible files such
> > > as
> > > .DS_Store from the drive after formatting it under macOS.
> >
> > the original post was *eight* years ago, and there's a very good chance
> > that it no longer matters.
>
> And a chance that the OP no longer monitors the group?

it's a very good chance. davoud hasn't posted in a while. it's possible
he still lurks, but i doubt it.

Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32

<tai8b8$rue$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14508&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14508

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 10:31:04 +1200
 by: Your Name - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 22:31 UTC

On 2022-07-11 13:18:11 +0000, TimS said:
> On 11 Jul 2022 at 12:19:00 BST, paltysork <gediminasarba6@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 5:10:13 a.m. UTC+3, Davoud wrote:
>>> On at least one of my Macs the system is /apparently/ not equivalent to
>>> Windows in formatting a USB stick as FAT32.
>>>
>>> I have always had success formatting USB sticks as FAT32 from Mac OS.
>>> By "success" I mean that others and myself have been able read and
>>> write to the FAT32 sticks from a variety of Mac OS and Windows
>>> computers without apparent errors.
>>>
>>> I recently bought a car that allows uploading startup-screen photos to
>>> its 12.3-in. GPS/Audio/Etc. display. It requires that a FAT32 drive be
>>> inserted into either of two USB ports in the center console. The drive
>>> must contain a top-level folder named "Image" that contains jpg (or
>>> jpeg) images. I formatted a USB drive as FAT32 under El Capitan and
>>> followed all instructions to the letter. Upon inserting the stick in
>>> the USB port the car's electronics apparently recognized it, reporting
>>> (correctly) that no music files were on the drive. When I went to the
>>> "Upload Photos" menu the system reported that no photos could be found.
>>>
>>> After a couple of tries I booted my MBP in Win 7 Pro. I reformatted the
>>> drive and copied the "Images" directory from within Win 7. This time
>>> the car recognized the "Images" folder and quickly uploaded the images.
>>>
>>> That done, I rebooted El Capitan and repeated the process--formatting,
>>> etc.--and the car again could not read the drive. Curiously, the car
>>> manufacturer's instructional video shows a man copying files to the
>>> drive from a MacBook Pro (but says nothing about where the drive was
>>> formatted).
>
> You probably want to go into Terminal and delete any invisible files such as
> .DS_Store from the drive after formatting it under macOS.

Yep, those invisible files can cause issues with some devices that
aren't expecting them. They can also confuse novice people (e.g. taking
a USB thumb drive into a high street print shop and they try to open
the invisible file instead of teh proper PDF file).

There are a few utility apps that will delete the invisible MacOS files
when ejecting the drive, without needing to use the Terminal. The two
best known ones are:

- "Blue Harvest"
<http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/>

- "CleanMyDrive"
<https://macpaw.com/cleanmydrive>

Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32

<tailo8$o5q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14509&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14509

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 14:19:52 +1200
 by: Your Name - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 02:19 UTC

On 2022-07-11 18:16:52 +0000, Alan B said:

> On 11 Jul 2022, nospam wrote
> (in article<110720221013311303%nospam@nospam.invalid>):
>
>> In article<jj2m8jFspsjU1@mid.individual.net>, TimS
>> <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:

>>> You probably want to go into Terminal and delete any invisible files such as
>>> .DS_Store from the drive after formatting it under macOS.
>>
>> the original post was *eight* years ago, and there's a very good chance
>> that it no longer matters.
>
> And a chance that the OP no longer monitors the group?

True, but someone else might find it when searcghing for the same problem.

Re: Formatting a USB Stick as FAT32

<0001HW.287DA49102DE46FD70000AF5F38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14510&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14510

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 08:46:09 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
 by: Wolffan - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 12:46 UTC

On 11 Jul 2022, paltysork wrote
(in article<39ba9298-0530-431e-9dba-6153ace2d861n@googlegroups.com>):

> On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 5:10:13 a.m. UTC+3, Davoud wrote:
> > On at least one of my Macs the system is /apparently/ not equivalent to
> > Windows in formatting a USB stick as FAT32.
> >
> > I have always had success formatting USB sticks as FAT32 from Mac OS.
> > By "success" I mean that others and myself have been able read and
> > write to the FAT32 sticks from a variety of Mac OS and Windows
> > computers without apparent errors.
> >
> > I recently bought a car that allows uploading startup-screen photos to
> > its 12.3-in. GPS/Audio/Etc. display. It requires that a FAT32 drive be
> > inserted into either of two USB ports in the center console. The drive
> > must contain a top-level folder named "Image" that contains jpg (or
> > jpeg) images. I formatted a USB drive as FAT32 under El Capitan and
> > followed all instructions to the letter. Upon inserting the stick in
> > the USB port the car's electronics apparently recognized it, reporting
> > (correctly) that no music files were on the drive. When I went to the
> > "Upload Photos" menu the system reported that no photos could be found.
> >
> > After a couple of tries I booted my MBP in Win 7 Pro. I reformatted the
> > drive and copied the "Images" directory from within Win 7. This time
> > the car recognized the "Images" folder and quickly uploaded the images.
> >
> > That done, I rebooted El Capitan and repeated the process--formatting,
> > etc.--and the car again could not read the drive. Curiously, the car
> > manufacturer's instructional video shows a man copying files to the
> > drive from a MacBook Pro (but says nothing about where the drive was
> > formatted).
> >
> > Anyone know what gives here?
> >
> > TIA!
> >
> > --
> > I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
> > you will say in your entire life.
> >
> > usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
> SHUT UP!!!!!

Oh, look. It’s a GoogleGroups user zombifing a necrothread from 2016. What
a surprise.