From: nospam.M...@p5.f1321.n712.z3.fidonet.org (Mike Dippel)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Mystic on Linux
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 01:00:58 +1200
 by: Mike Dippel - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 13:00 UTC

My first question is: Can I use the same setup instructions Avon provided for
the Raspberry
Pi to set up Mystic on Linux? Not sure what O/S the Pi runs on.

Second question: If I use a VPS hosting package with root access, will this
work? I was
looking at: https://895-inet.com/linux-vps-web-hosting/ to see what is
available. Does
this package look like it would work?

Thanks,
Mike Dippel

Re: Mystic on Linux

<439202981@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1455&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1455

From: nospam.P...@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org (Paul Hayton)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: Mystic on Linux
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 17:24:54 +1200
 by: Paul Hayton - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 05:24 UTC

On 04 Sep 2022 at 01:00a, Mike Dippel pondered and said...
MD> My first question is: Can I use the same setup instructions Avon
MD> provided for the Raspberry
MD> Pi to set up Mystic on Linux? Not sure what O/S the Pi runs on.

I caveat this advice with the fact that I am not a Linux expert but yeah the
Raspberry Pi runs an OS now called Raspberry Pi OS which is based (I believe)
off Debian Linux. So the info I had put up was all couched for an OS that
shared Linux conventions e.g. /path/to/file instead of c:\path\to\file etc.

Best, Paul

avon@bbs.nz / bbs.nz / fsxnet.nz

Re: Mystic on Linux

<2141097501@p1.f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1456&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1456

From: nospam.J...@p1.f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 07:03:20 +1200
 by: Jay Harris - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 19:03 UTC

*** Quoting Mike Dippel from a message to ALL ***

MD> My first question is: Can I use the same setup instructions Avon
MD> provided for the Raspberry Pi to set up Mystic on Linux? Not sure
MD> what O/S the Pi runs on.

I used Avon's videos to set Mystic up on a Pi and then use that same
knowledge to set it up on Ubuntu. Raspbian (now Raspberry Pi OS) is based on
Debian the same as Ubuntu is.

MD> Second question: If I use a VPS hosting package with root access,
MD> will this work?

Yes, that should work as well. I've had Mystic running in a VPS at Lunanode
with no issues. Running it at a VPS (at the time) also allowed me to setup
IPv6 access as my ISP didn't offer IPv6 back then.

The only weird thing to snag me up on the VPS was getting cryptlib to work, I
had to go back to an older version of cryptlib, though that may have just
been me fat fingering something. Follow these instructions and you should be
good:

http://wiki.mysticbbs.com/doku.php?id=cryptlib

Jay

.... Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your taglines!