computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Help! Capital letter missing

SubjectAuthor
* Help! Capital letter missingConnor Shannon
+- Re: Help! Capital letter missingDavid Brooks
+- Re: Help! Capital letter missingnospam
+- Re: Help! Capital letter missingSiri Cruise
`* Re: Help! Capital letter missingYour Name
 `* Re: Help! Capital letter missingConnor Shannon
  +* Re: Help! Capital letter missingnospam
  |+* Re: Help! Capital letter missingAndré G. Isaak
  ||+* Re: Help! Capital letter missingnospam
  |||`* Re: Help! Capital letter missingAlan
  ||| `* Re: Help! Capital letter missingnospam
  |||  `* Re: Help! Capital letter missingAlan
  |||   +* Re: Help! Capital letter missingYour Name
  |||   |`* Re: Help! Capital letter missingAlan
  |||   | `- Re: Help! Capital letter missingYour Name
  |||   `- Re: Help! Capital letter missingnospam
  ||`- Re: Help! Capital letter missingDavid Brooks
  |+* Re: Help! Capital letter missingConnor Shannon
  ||`- Re: Help! Capital letter missingnospam
  |`* Re: Help! Capital letter missingDavid Brooks
  | +* Re: Help! Capital letter missingnospam
  | |`- Safe Boot Mode - (was - Help! Capital letter missing)David Brooks
  | `* Re: Help! Capital letter missingsuper70s
  |  `* Re: Help! Capital letter missingDavid Brooks
  |   +* Re: Help! Capital letter missingYour Name
  |   |+- Re: Help! Capital letter missingDavid Brooks
  |   |`- Re: Help! Capital letter missingDavid Brooks
  |   `* Re: Help! Capital letter missingYK
  |    +* Re: Help! Capital letter missingsuper70s
  |    |`- Re: Help! Capital letter missingDavid Brooks
  |    `- Re: Help! Capital letter missingDavid Brooks
  `* Re: Help! Capital letter missingYour Name
   `- Re: Help! Capital letter missingnospam

Pages:12
Re: Help! Capital letter missing

<yH7BK.321039$SIa.315064@fx01.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14542&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14542

Subject: Re: Help! Capital letter missing
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: nom...@afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:10:22 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 07:10 UTC

On 18/07/2022 06:03, super70s wrote:
> In article <SlxxK.264003$SIa.202313@fx01.ams1>,
> David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> On 06/07/2022 19:02, nospam *LIED*!
>>> the person who suggested that has
>>> no idea what safe mode is even for.
>>
>> Safe mode can help you determine whether an issue is being caused by
>> software that loads when your Mac starts up.
>>
>> Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts
>> up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and
>> fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup
>> disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some
>> system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which will be
>> created again automatically as needed.
>>
>> Safe mode is particularly useful when you're trying to resolve an issue
>> that doesn't seem to be associated with using a particular app. As
>> always, keeping your software up to date is the first step for resolving
>> any software issues.
>>
>> Full details here:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262
>
> It seems about once every six months my 2009 A1125 will boot up very
> very slowly, the progress bar finally stalls and it restarts and goes
> into Recovery Disk mode. I just run First Aid on everything, and it goes
> back to normal. Any ideas why this happens?
>
> FWIW I have Snow Leopard installed on the iMac's HD, and I normally run
> El Capitan on an external SDD (actually I have two of them connected).

Why are you using such out-of-date hardware and software?

Seems odd.

Re: Help! Capital letter missing

<tb31tj$10rb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14543&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14543

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 19:25:39 +1200
 by: Your Name - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 07:25 UTC

On 2022-07-18 07:10:22 +0000, David Brooks said:

> On 18/07/2022 06:03, super70s wrote:
>> In article <SlxxK.264003$SIa.202313@fx01.ams1>,
>> David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 06/07/2022 19:02, nospam *LIED*!
>>>
>>> Safe mode can help you determine whether an issue is being caused by
>>> software that loads when your Mac starts up.
>>>
>>> Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts
>>> up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and
>>> fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup
>>> disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some
>>> system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which will be
>>> created again automatically as needed.
>>>
>>> Safe mode is particularly useful when you're trying to resolve an issue
>>> that doesn't seem to be associated with using a particular app. As
>>> always, keeping your software up to date is the first step for resolving
>>> any software issues.
>>>
>>> Full details here:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262
>>
>> It seems about once every six months my 2009 A1125 will boot up very
>> very slowly, the progress bar finally stalls and it restarts and goes
>> into Recovery Disk mode. I just run First Aid on everything, and it goes
>> back to normal. Any ideas why this happens?
>>
>> FWIW I have Snow Leopard installed on the iMac's HD, and I normally run
>> El Capitan on an external SDD (actually I have two of them connected).
>
> Why are you using such out-of-date hardware and software?
>
> Seems odd.

Not everyone can afford nor wants to keep buying the new toys simply
for the sake of it, especially if their current devices do everything
they need.

Re: Help! Capital letter missing

<3v9BK.373378$B0_9.6775@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14544&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14544

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: nom...@afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:13:35 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:13 UTC

On 18/07/2022 08:25, Your Name wrote:
> On 2022-07-18 07:10:22 +0000, David Brooks said:
>
>> On 18/07/2022 06:03, super70s wrote:

>>> It seems about once every six months my 2009 A1125 will boot up very
>>> very slowly, the progress bar finally stalls and it restarts and goes
>>> into Recovery Disk mode. I just run First Aid on everything, and it goes
>>> back to normal. Any ideas why this happens?
>>>
>>> FWIW I have Snow Leopard installed on the iMac's HD, and I normally run
>>> El Capitan on an external SDD (actually I have two of them connected).
>>
>> Why are you using such out-of-date hardware and software?
>>
>> Seems odd.
>
> Not everyone can afford nor wants to keep buying the new toys simply for
> the sake of it, especially if their current devices do everything they
> need.

I well understand what you say. I still have Windows XP running on my
old Dell Dimension 2400. I wouldn't dream of using it for Internet
Banking though! ;-)

Re: Help! Capital letter missing

<dI9BK.5110$H329.2856@fx03.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14545&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14545

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: nom...@afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:27:37 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:27 UTC

On 18/07/2022 08:25, Your Name wrote:

> Not everyone can afford nor wants to keep buying the new toys simply for
> the sake of it, especially if their current devices do everything they
> need.

My first Apple computer was the 24 inch model
https://support.apple.com/kb/sp507?locale=en_GB
I purchased it on 4 March 2009

I recall being frustrated when the 27 inch iMac was launched shortly
afterwards!

I was further frustrated when, having waited for months to upgrade to
the next macOS version (might have been High Sierra) I discovered that
my hardware was too old!!!

It was THAT which decided me to buy a 27 inch iMac - that was about 4.5
years ago now.

//What Is The Difference Between Vintage And Obsolete?
Vintage products are those that have not been sold for more than 5 and
less than 7 years ago. Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV vintage
products continue to receive hardware service from Apple service
providers, including Apple Retail Stores, subject to availability of
inventory, or as required by law.

Obsolete products are those whose sales were discontinued more than 7
years ago. Monster-branded Beats products are considered obsolete
regardless of when they were purchased. Apple has discontinued all
hardware service for obsolete products, with no exceptions. Service
providers cannot order parts for obsolete products.//

Extract from:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2020/5/14/apple-labels-another-block-of-mac-computers-as-vintage-we-explain-why-it-matters

Re: Help! Capital letter missing

<tb45sj$fl9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14552&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14552

From: yourkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:39:31 -0400
 by: YK - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:39 UTC

On 7/18/22 3:10 AM, David Brooks wrote:
> On 18/07/2022 06:03, super70s wrote:
>> In article <SlxxK.264003$SIa.202313@fx01.ams1>,
>>   David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 06/07/2022 19:02, nospam *LIED*!
>>>
>>> Safe mode can help you determine whether an issue is being caused by
>>> software that loads when your Mac starts up.
>>>
>>> Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts
>>> up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and
>>> fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup
>>> disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some
>>> system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which will be
>>> created again automatically as needed.
>>>
>>> Safe mode is particularly useful when you're trying to resolve an issue
>>> that doesn't seem to be associated with using a particular app. As
>>> always, keeping your software up to date is the first step for resolving
>>> any software issues.
>>>
>>> Full details here:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262
>>
>> It seems about once every six months my 2009 A1125 will boot up very
>> very slowly, the progress bar finally stalls and it restarts and goes
>> into Recovery Disk mode. I just run First Aid on everything, and it goes
>> back to normal. Any ideas why this happens?
>>
>> FWIW I have Snow Leopard installed on the iMac's HD, and I normally run
>> El Capitan on an external SDD (actually I have two of them connected).
>
> Why are you using such out-of-date hardware and software?
>
> Seems odd.

What's "odd"?

Why do you care? We all have our reasons for using what we use.

Re: Help! Capital letter missing

<super70s-0CA781.15304718072022@reader01.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14555&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14555

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:30:47 -0500
 by: super70s - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 20:30 UTC

In article <tb45sj$fl9$1@gioia.aioe.org>, YK <yourkidding@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On 7/18/22 3:10 AM, David Brooks wrote:
> > On 18/07/2022 06:03, super70s wrote:

> >> It seems about once every six months my 2009 A1125 will boot up very
> >> very slowly, the progress bar finally stalls and it restarts and goes
> >> into Recovery Disk mode. I just run First Aid on everything, and it goes
> >> back to normal. Any ideas why this happens?
> >>
> >> FWIW I have Snow Leopard installed on the iMac's HD, and I normally run
> >> El Capitan on an external SDD (actually I have two of them connected).
> >
> > Why are you using such out-of-date hardware and software?
> >
> > Seems odd.
>
> What's "odd"?
>
> Why do you care? We all have our reasons for using what we use.

Guess I should have known better to bring up older equipment in here in
the first place.

He'd really freak if he found out I'm posting this on a Power Mac G4
running Tiger, lol.

Re: Help! Capital letter missing

<RNjBK.618230$83a5.359821@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14556&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14556

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: nom...@afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 21:56:17 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 20:56 UTC

On 18/07/2022 21:30, super70s wrote:
> In article <tb45sj$fl9$1@gioia.aioe.org>, YK <yourkidding@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

>>> Why are you using such out-of-date hardware and software?
>>>
>>> Seems odd.
>>
>> What's "odd"?
>>
>> Why do you care? We all have our reasons for using what we use.
>
> Guess I should have known better to bring up older equipment in here in
> the first place.
>
> He'd really freak if he found out I'm posting this on a Power Mac G4
> running Tiger, lol.

I really don't mind WHAT you do, ol' chum, but I firmly recommend that
you don't use such equipment to undertake Internet banking. It's a
dangerous place out there!

Re: Help! Capital letter missing

<m_vBK.419904$70_9.291274@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14557&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14557

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: nom...@afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 11:48:49 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 10:48 UTC

On 18/07/2022 18:39, YK wrote:
> On 7/18/22 3:10 AM, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 18/07/2022 06:03, super70s wrote:

>>> It seems about once every six months my 2009 A1125 will boot up very
>>> very slowly, the progress bar finally stalls and it restarts and goes
>>> into Recovery Disk mode. I just run First Aid on everything, and it goes
>>> back to normal. Any ideas why this happens?
>>>
>>> FWIW I have Snow Leopard installed on the iMac's HD, and I normally run
>>> El Capitan on an external SDD (actually I have two of them connected).
>>
>> Why are you using such out-of-date hardware and software?
>>
>> Seems odd.
>
> What's "odd"?
>
> Why do you care? We all have our reasons for using what we use.

Perhaps THIS will help you to understand:-

Copy/paste

macOS local security is shifting more and more to the iOS model, where
every application is codesigned, sandboxed and needs to ask for
permission to access sensitive data. New security layers have been added
to make it harder for malware that has gained a foothold to compromise
the user's most sensitive data. Changing the security model of something
as large and established as macOS is a long process, as it requires many
existing parts of the system to be re-examined. For example, creating a
security boundary between applications running as the same user is a
large change from the previous security model.

CVE-2021-30873 is a process injection vulnerability we reported to Apple
that affected all macOS applications. This was addressed in the macOS
Monterey update, but completely fixing this vulnerability requires
changes to all third-party applications as well. Apple has even changed
the template for new applications in Xcode to assist developers with this.

In this talk, we'll explain what a process injection vulnerability is
and why it can have critical impact on macOS. Then, we'll explain the
details of this vulnerability, including how to exploit insecure
deserialization in macOS. Finally, we will explain how we exploited it
to escape the macOS sandbox, elevate our privileges to root and bypass SIP.

https://objectivebythesea.org/v5/talks.html