"The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fight

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fightWally J
`* Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fightAlan
 +* Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fightnospam
 |`- Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fightWally J
 `* Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fightcandycanearter07
  +- Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fightAlan
  `- Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fightWally J

1
Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fight

<ued3ju$rulc$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14553&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14553

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fight
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 00:25:18 +0300
 by: Wally J - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 21:25 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote

> The differences between these two phones are simultaneously very muted
> and yet cavernously loud.

You have to be an adult when you read that sentence in that iOS is like a
Barbie-and-Ken toy plastic corvette in terms of what it just cannot do.

The point is that you can't just ignore that the iPhone can't do thousands
(upon thousands!) of very useful things any Android phone can easily do.

> In a few specific specs the iPhone 15 edges
> out its competitor, yet the Samsung Galaxy S23 remains a better device
> when you evaluate the whole picture.

Please realize it's like comparing a Chevy with leather seats to a Ferrari
when they're "claiming" to compare 'specific specs' between the two phones.
<https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=12548&idPhone2=12024>

You have to completely ignore that the iPhone can't do thousands (upon
thousands!) of very useful things that any Android phone easily does.

Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fight

<ued7bt$2ibqn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14554&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14554

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:29:17 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 22:29 UTC

On 2023-09-19 14:25, Wally J wrote:
> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> The differences between these two phones are simultaneously very muted
>> and yet cavernously loud.
>
> You have to be an adult when you read that sentence in that iOS is like a
> Barbie-and-Ken toy plastic corvette in terms of what it just cannot do.
>
> The point is that you can't just ignore that the iPhone can't do thousands
> (upon thousands!) of very useful things any Android phone can easily do.
>
>> In a few specific specs the iPhone 15 edges
>> out its competitor, yet the Samsung Galaxy S23 remains a better device
>> when you evaluate the whole picture.
>
> Please realize it's like comparing a Chevy with leather seats to a Ferrari
> when they're "claiming" to compare 'specific specs' between the two phones.
> <https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=12548&idPhone2=12024>
>
> You have to completely ignore that the iPhone can't do thousands (upon
> thousands!) of very useful things that any Android phone easily does.

99.999% of which no ordinary consumers care about...

Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fight

<190920231909369945%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14555&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14555

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 19:09:36 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 23:09 UTC

In article <ued7bt$2ibqn$1@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> > You have to completely ignore that the iPhone can't do thousands (upon
> > thousands!) of very useful things that any Android phone easily does.
>
> 99.999% of which no ordinary consumers care about...

his claim of 'thousands upon thousands' is not true.

there's a small number of things that android can do that ios cannot do
and many things that ios can do that android cannot (or nowhere near as
easily). many have been previously listed, which he dutifully ignores.

Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fight

<uedmti$2i74m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14557&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14557

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 21:54:42 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 02:54 UTC

On 9/19/23 17:29, Alan wrote:
> 99.999% of which no ordinary consumers care about...

Just because customers don't care about something doesn't mean it's not
nice to have the option.

Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fight

<uedmum$11fqq$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14558&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14558

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 22:55:19 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 02:55 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

> there's a small number of things that android can do that ios cannot do
> and many things that ios can do that android cannot (or nowhere near as
> easily). many have been previously listed, which he dutifully ignores.

You've never been able to list a single useful functionality on iOS that
isn't (usually long ago) already on Android, nospam.

*All you iKooks do is incessantly lie about imaginary iOS functionality*
Why?

Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fight

<uee7a8$2r266$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14562&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14562

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 00:34:32 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 07:34 UTC

On 2023-09-19 19:54, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 9/19/23 17:29, Alan wrote:
>> 99.999% of which no ordinary consumers care about...
>
> Just because customers don't care about something doesn't mean it's not
> nice to have the option.

Personally? Sure.

As a business model? No way.

Apple sells iPhones in their billions BECAUSE they have a carefully
tended garden.

That that might mean that some functionalities aren't feasible is
irrelevant.

PEOPLE like that iPhones just WORK.

Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fight

<ueeavl$12i2a$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14563&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14563

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 04:37:09 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 08:37 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote

> Just because customers don't care about something doesn't mean it's not
> nice to have the option.

The classic excuse for iKooks is nobody wants functionality on iOS.
And... "Nobody needs functionality on iOS*

If people "didn't care" about these things, all of which are impossible on
iOS, why is it every other operating system _except iOS_ can do them?

The iPhone can't set even the simplest of defaults for example it can't set
the default messenger or the default launcher or the default dialer.
It can't do automatic call recording for another glaring example.
The launcher for iOS is permanently locked and is as primitive as it gets.
The iOS spoofing of GPS is comically ridiculously crazy in that you have to
put a complete computer in your back pocket just to get iOS spoofing.
Likewise you need an entire computer just to easily back up your apps,
and worse, the iOS app backup is braindead compared to how APKs work.
There isn't any possibility of graphical ad free YouTube downloading.
Neither is there any possibility of privacy without an Apple login.
There's no chance of using an on device system wide ad blocker.
And there's no possibility of a decently functional on device firewall.
You can't even graph Wi-Fi signal strength for debuggings, and, for that
matter, you can't graph cellular signal strength either on the iPhone.
You can't even install the only safe TOR browser out there on iOS.
On iOS you can't save every IPA fully and completely each time you install
it (merely by the act of installation), nor can you install it on another
iPhone if you haven't already backed it up (whereas on Android you can).
Speaking of backup, on iOS you can't extract all the IPAs (even for system
apps) like you can on Android, so that a version you like will be saved.
On iOS there's no chance of downloading apps without having an Apple
account, whereas on Android you don't need a Google account for anything.
Plus Apple inserts a unique tracker into every single IPA you install.
etc.

All this... the iKooks claim "nobody wants it" & "nobody needs it".

What it means is the iPhone just does NOT work.
Meanwhile, for Android, all that just works.

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: Apple iPhone 15 vs. Samsung Galaxy S23: Flagship fight