From: chrisp...@me.com (Chris Schram)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:45:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chris Schram - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:45 UTC

Las night while I was rotting my mind browsing YouTube, I stumbled upon
a tutorial for installing OpenCore Legacy Patcher, a collection of
utilities to facilitate installation of macOS Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma
on Intel Macs too old or otherwise ineligible, as determined by Apple. I
had never heard of this hack before, and I'm wondering if anyone in this
group has had experience with it. Or is it too good to be true?

I have am early 2025 MacBook Air that is not supposed to go beyond
Monterey, so it's entering its final year of macOS updates. It's not
that the newer macOS versions have major features that would compel an
unauthorized upgrade. At this point I'm just asking out of curiosity.

HISTORY: One-upon-a-time I had a G4 iMac that wasn't supposed to go
beyond Tiger, and using a hack managed to get it up and running in
Leopard. It ran flawlessly, with no known incompatibilities, but was
noticeably slower, which took some getting used to.

MORE HISTORY: I still have an old plastic MacBook that I keep around for
a few legacy apps. It topped out at El Capitan, which made it unusably
slow. I put an SSD in it for a time, which got the speed back, but I
eventually sprung for a newer Mac, and reverted the old MacBook back to
spinning rust. At a later time I downgraded from El Capitan back to
Yosemite, and performance improved.

--
ATTN Google Groups users: I filter out your posts and will not see them.
chrispam1@me.com is an infrequently monitored address. Email may get lost.

Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

<1qlbl3a.9032lk1nlwcn4N%henry999@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=147&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#147

From: henry...@eircom.net (Henry)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Re: OpenCore Legacy Patcher?
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:58:13 +0200
 by: Henry - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 11:58 UTC

Chris Schram <chrispam1@me.com> wrote:

> ... OpenCore Legacy Patcher, a collection of
> utilities to facilitate installation of macOS Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma
> on Intel Macs too old or otherwise ineligible, as determined by Apple. I
> had never heard of this hack before, and I'm wondering if anyone in this
> group has had experience with it. Or is it too good to be true?

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that was retired a couple of years ago. I
heard about OCLP and thought 'why not?' I installed the hack -- pretty
straight-forward -- and ran Big Sur for some time. Then I upgraded to
Monterey. Works like a charm. Yes, it is slow. But this old boy now sits
in a corner of my LAN running 24/7 as a file server and all is well.