From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: German Court Orders Encrypted Email Service Tutanota To Backdoor One
Account
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 20:46:50 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 18:46 UTC

<https://www.techdirt.com/2020/12/09/german-court-orders-encrypted-email-service-tutanota-to-backdoor-one-account/>

This scenario would never happen with a Nymserver.

Re: German Court Orders Encrypted Email Service Tutanota To Backdoor One Account

<c403e336865326cf01a730aa6c049420@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14686&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#14686

From: J...@M (D)
Subject: Re: German Court Orders Encrypted Email Service Tutanota To Backdoor
One Account
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 21:42:01 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 19:42 UTC

On Sat, 15 Jul 2023 20:46:50 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
><https://www.techdirt.com/2020/12/09/german-court-orders-encrypted-email-service-tutanota-to-backdoor-one-account/>
>This scenario would never happen with a Nymserver.

this link opens normally using Tor Browser 12.5.1 (2023-7-4):
> [...]
>still just a proposal, albeit a dangerous one, since it comes from
>the EU Council of Ministers, one of the region's more powerful bodies.
>However, a court in Germany has decided it doesn't need to wait for
>EU legislation, and has ordered the encrypted Web-email company
>Tutanota to insert a backdoor into its service (original in German).
>https://www.heise.de/news/Gericht-zwingt-Mailprovider-Tutanota-zu-Ueberwachungsfunktion-4972460.html
>The order, from a court in Cologne, is surprising, because it
>contradicts an earlier decision by the court in Hanover, capital of
> the German state of Lower Saxony, and Tutanota's home town. The
>Hanover court based its ruling on a judgment by the Court of Justice
>of the European Union (CJEU), the EU's highest court. In 2019, the
>CJEU said that:
> a web-based email service which does not itself provide internet
>access, such as the Gmail service provided by Google, does not consist
>wholly or mainly in the conveyance of signals on electronic
>communications networks and therefore does not constitute an
>'electronic communications service'
>Despite this, in the Tutanota case the Cologne court applied a German
>law for telecoms. Tutanota's co-founder Matthias Pfau explained to
>TechCrunch:
> The argumentation is as follows: Although we are no longer a provider
>of telecommunications services, we would be involved in providing
>telecommunications services and must therefore still enable
>telecommunications and traffic data collection," he told TechCrunch.
> "From our point of view - and law German law experts agree with us -
>this is absurd. Neither does the court state what telecommunications
>service we are involved in nor do they name the actual provider of
>the telecommunications service."
>Given that ridiculous logic, it's no surprise that Tutanota will be
>appealing to Germany's Federal Court of Justice. But in the meantime
>the company must comply with the court order by developing a special
>surveillance capability. Importantly, it only concerns one account -
>allegedly involved in an extortion attempt - that seems to be no
>longer in use. Moreover, as the TechCrunch article explains, the
>monitoring function will apply to future emails that the account
>receives. And even then, it will only deliver any unencrypted emails
>that are present, because Tutanota is not able to decrypt users'
>emails that apply end-to-end encryption, which is entirely under the
>user's control, not Tutanota's.
>That means the practical effect of this court order is extremely
>limited: to future unencrypted emails of just one quiescent account.
>But independently of its real-life usefulness, this order sets a
>terrible precedent of a court ordering an Internet company to insert
>what amounts to a backdoor in an account. That's why it is vital that
>Tutanota's appeal prevails - for both the company, and for the EU
[end quote]

they have been continually spamming a.p.a-s, and that is enough to
conclude they are a storefront determined to entrap unwary lurkers.