From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: iFixIt Apple iPhone repairability is worse than it ever was (4 out of 10) due to unnecessary locks to inhibit consumer repairability
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:18:55 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:18 UTC

This is the truth: Apple iPhone repairability is worse than ever!
�<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BuxNntf-KIG_DFYEvKvfPafBI09IM4rjOf2RsGbN9II/edit#gid=0>

Turns out Apple publicly lied about iPhone 15 repairability... (again!)...
Repairability of iPhone 15 Pro Max = 4 out of 10
Repairability of iPhone 15 Pro = 4 out of 10
Repairability of iPhone 15 Plus = 4 out of 10
Repairability of iPhone 15 = 4 out of 10

*iPhone 15 Teardown Reveals Software Lockdown*
�<https://www.ifixit.com/News/82867/iphone-15-teardown-reveals-software-lockdown>
"Repairable design undermined by parts-pairing DRM"

In apologizing for Apple, they almost literally say Apple is incompetent in
5G design when they say they feel bad for Apple's incompetent design teams.

"Apple's 5G modem team has been toiling in isolation for years without
any hardware to show for it. We're not sure who to feel for,
Tim Cook's wallet or the poor Apple lawyers who had to grovel
with Qualcomm a new contract. Amazingly, the hundreds of
engineers working on this project for first-Infineon,
then-Intel, and now-Apple have yet to ship a single 5G modem
to customers. That's got to be demoralizing."

Then they openly discuss Apple's strategy of never doing anything for the
benefit of the consumer until the law forces Apple to care about consumers.

USB-C.
"Notorious for charting their own course, convincing Apple to
change direction takes a monumental amount of pressure.
Our Right to Repair advocacy has already applied some
such pressure, and Apple's now selling service parts
and posting repair manuals. But even we couldn't convince
them to switch to a standard port-it took the European Parliament
to force that particular change."

"In addition to obvious compatibility advantages, the new USB-C port
can provide 4.5 watts of power to external devices. That's a massive
15x upgrade over previous Lightning phones, which can only output
0.3 watts."

Also in keeping with Apple's strategy of lessening the life of iPhones by
putting in the cheapest anemic batteries that they can get away with...

BATTERY.
The battery (serviceable only by a trained technician)
in the 15 Pro Max is 4422 mAh, an incremental 2.3% increase
over the 14 Pro Max's 4323 mAh pack. Similarly, the 15 Pro
has an identical 2.3% 3274 mAh (2.3% increase) over the
14 Pro's 3200 mAh."

"This isn't a good year for anemic battery capacity gains,
because the A17 Pro is power-thirsty. Early reports are that
the phone gets hot and stays hot, with a corresponding drop
in battery life."

But what about Apple's strategy of making repairs harder to do?
"Our trust was clearly misplaced"

REPAIRS.
"Unfortunately, swapping the front camera between two of our 15 Pro Max
units results in complete failure. The cameras simply do not work.

*Our trust was clearly misplaced*.

It's time for an urgent conversation about Apple's approach
to repairability.

Despite our enthusiasm for iPhone 14's easier-to-disassemble design,
we've been compelled to adjust our repairability score from a
promising 7 to a discouraging 4, highlighting Apple's ongoing
constriction of repair freedoms through its restrictive parts
pairing system.

To effectively repair these models, you have to procure parts
within Apple's sphere and validate the repairs. Without calibration,
the parts either don't work at all, or have compromised functionality
and incessant warnings.

Our tests swap parts between identical, brand new devices.
No aftermarket parts are involved. We've also discovered that the
rear lidar assembly, which will be critical for augmented reality
functionality and creating content for the Vision Pro, also
is completely locked to the iPhone 15 Pro Max."
--
My role on the Apple newsgroups is to supply the truth about Apple products
with well-respected links instead of the iKook's ignorant religious fervor.

Re: iFixIt Apple iPhone repairability is worse than it ever was (4 out of 10) due to unnecessary locks to inhibit consumer repairability

<uev8in$2kjun$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14694&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14694

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: iFixIt Apple iPhone repairability is worse than it ever was (4
out of 10) due to unnecessary locks to inhibit consumer repairability
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 11:40:23 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:40 UTC

On 2023-09-26 11:18, Wally J wrote:
> This is the truth: Apple iPhone repairability is worse than ever!
> эА <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BuxNntf-KIG_DFYEvKvfPafBI09IM4rjOf2RsGbN9II/edit#gid=0>
>
> Turns out Apple publicly lied about iPhone 15 repairability... (again!)...
> Repairability of iPhone 15 Pro Max = 4 out of 10
> Repairability of iPhone 15 Pro = 4 out of 10
> Repairability of iPhone 15 Plus = 4 out of 10
> Repairability of iPhone 15 = 4 out of 10
>
> *iPhone 15 Teardown Reveals Software Lockdown*
> эА <https://www.ifixit.com/News/82867/iphone-15-teardown-reveals-software-lockdown>
> "Repairable design undermined by parts-pairing DRM"

"Apple will also make the System Configuration process used for iPhone
repairs, such as displays, batteries, and cameras, even easier to use.
System Configuration is a postrepair software tool that ensures repairs
with genuine Apple parts — designed and tested to internationally
recognized standards — were completed correctly, and the parts are
working properly. The tool is available for free to all Self Service
Repair users and participating service providers in Apple repair programs.

Running System Configuration after a repair authenticates genuine Apple
parts, updates firmware, and calibrates parts to ensure maximum
performance and quality. Additionally, for repairs involving biometric
authentication, such as Touch ID or Face ID, System Configuration links
the biometric sensors to the Secure Enclave on the logic board to ensure
device security and customer privacy.

Self Service Repair users can now initiate System Configuration by
placing their devices into Diagnostics mode and following onscreen
prompts. Users no longer need to contact the Self Service Repair support
team to run the final step of a repair, but the team will still be
available to assist as needed."

So they claim that swapped parts didn't work...

....but don't mention if they actually performed a step to make them work.