From: noo...@nowhere.net (James H. Markowitz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Is Chromium 107 bypassing DNS settings?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:48:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James H. Markowitz - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:48 UTC

I run my own DNS caching server, with a series of rules that
return the 127.0.0.1 IPv4 address (and ::1 IPv6) for a number of hosts
that I don't care about. Thus, when I try to connect to any facebook.com
site I just get redirected to 127.0.0.1 - where there is nothing running.

This worked as expected until recent versions of Chromium, where
it does not any more - such certainly is the case in the latest 107
version, but it may have been present already in 106. The thing is, it
seems to happen under Chromium and other browsers derived from the same
code alone - I tried under Opera and Firefox (where I made sure that DoH
is not enabled) and I get the behavior that I want: facebook.com is not
reachable. However, under Vivaldi and Chromium it is.

Is Chromium pulling a fast one on me? Anybody know how one can
make sure that Chromium is using my system-wide default DNS server,
rather than one of its choice under the wraps?

Re: Is Chromium 107 bypassing DNS settings?

<tjorcr$stl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1475&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1475

From: noo...@nowhere.net (James H. Markowitz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Is Chromium 107 bypassing DNS settings?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:59:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James H. Markowitz - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:59 UTC

Actually, a few minutes after I posted this question I noticed
the following setting in my Chromium:

In Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Security, in the Advanced
section there is an option labeled Use secure DNS. This option was
enabled and set to With your current service provider. After disabling
Use secure DNS things go back to normal.

The thing is, I do not remember having enabled this on Chromium
nor on Vivaldi - which makes me a bit nervous.

Re: Is Chromium 107 bypassing DNS settings?

<tjp2ak$heu2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1476&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1476

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 18:57:39 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 17:57 UTC

Am 31.10.2022 um 15:59:23 Uhr schrieb James H. Markowitz:

> In Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Security, in the
> Advanced section there is an option labeled Use secure DNS. This
> option was enabled and set to With your current service provider.
> After disabling Use secure DNS things go back to normal.

That uses DNS over HTTPS with Google DNS and bypasses you system's DNS.

> The thing is, I do not remember having enabled this on
> Chromium nor on Vivaldi - which makes me a bit nervous.

Normal behavior, it is enabled by default.

Re: Is Chromium 107 bypassing DNS settings?

<tjpavi$pfj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1477&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1477

From: noo...@nowhere.net (James H. Markowitz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 20:25:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James H. Markowitz - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 20:25 UTC

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 18:57:39 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 31.10.2022 um 15:59:23 Uhr schrieb James H. Markowitz:
>
>> In Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Security, in the
>> Advanced section there is an option labeled Use secure DNS. This option
>> was enabled and set to With your current service provider.
>> After disabling Use secure DNS things go back to normal.
>
> That uses DNS over HTTPS with Google DNS and bypasses you system's DNS.
>
>> The thing is, I do not remember having enabled this on
>> Chromium nor on Vivaldi - which makes me a bit nervous.
>
> Normal behavior, it is enabled by default.

I see - Chromium is now telling me what is good for me, and I am
going to like it, right?

Re: Is Chromium 107 bypassing DNS settings?

<E_mcnSe2VLuSG_3-nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1478&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1478

From: pos...@invalid.org (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 02:35:59 +0000
 by: bad sector - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 02:35 UTC

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 20:25:23 -0000 (UTC), James H. Markowitz wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 18:57:39 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:
>
>> Am 31.10.2022 um 15:59:23 Uhr schrieb James H. Markowitz:
>>
>>> In Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Security, in the
>>> Advanced section there is an option labeled Use secure DNS. This
>>> option was enabled and set to With your current service provider.
>>> After disabling Use secure DNS things go back to normal.
>>
>> That uses DNS over HTTPS with Google DNS and bypasses you system's DNS.
>>
>>> The thing is, I do not remember having enabled this on
>>> Chromium nor on Vivaldi - which makes me a bit nervous.
>>
>> Normal behavior, it is enabled by default.
>
> I see - Chromium is now telling me what is good for me, and I am
> going to like it, right?

bullseye

BTW in any issues involving security the very first
suspect must be the security provider :-)
Or as we say around here, 'when did you get off the boat'?

We're headed into a new world odor in which like it or
not we all stream continuous live colonoscopies up to
'the cloud'.

--
Oh Lord of the Keyrings on high, have I got bad news for you: the word
trust is nowhere to be found in my security dictionary.

Re: Is Chromium 107 bypassing DNS settings?

<tjqd79$npta$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1479&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1479

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 07:09:45 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 06:09 UTC

Am 31.10.2022 um 20:25:23 Uhr schrieb James H. Markowitz:

> I see - Chromium is now telling me what is good for me, and I
> am going to like it, right?

That is why I use Pale Moon instead of Chrome/Firefox.

Re: Is Chromium 107 bypassing DNS settings?

<tjr2t3$1hvq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1480&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1480

From: me...@privacy.net
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 13:19:36 +0100
 by: me...@privacy.net - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 12:19 UTC

James H. Markowitz wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 18:57:39 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:
>
>> Am 31.10.2022 um 15:59:23 Uhr schrieb James H. Markowitz:
>>
>>> In Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Security, in the
>>> Advanced section there is an option labeled Use secure DNS. This option
>>> was enabled and set to With your current service provider.
>>> After disabling Use secure DNS things go back to normal.
>>
>> That uses DNS over HTTPS with Google DNS and bypasses you system's DNS.
>>
>>> The thing is, I do not remember having enabled this on
>>> Chromium nor on Vivaldi - which makes me a bit nervous.
>>
>> Normal behavior, it is enabled by default.
>
> I see - Chromium is now telling me what is good for me, and I am
> going to like it, right?

I do like it. Why? You can circumvent censorship. I set "DNS over
HTTPS" in Firefox myself, because that way I can access webpages
banned by the EU.

Re: Is Chromium 107 bypassing DNS settings?

<tjrda2$oesc$7@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1481&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1481

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 16:17:22 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 15:17 UTC

Am 01.11.2022 um 13:19:36 Uhr schrieb me@privacy.net:

> James H. Markowitz wrote:

> >> That uses DNS over HTTPS with Google DNS and bypasses you system's
> >> DNS.
> >>
> >> Normal behavior, it is enabled by default.
> >
> > I see - Chromium is now telling me what is good for me, and
> > I am going to like it, right?
> >

> I do like it. Why? You can circumvent censorship. I set "DNS over
> HTTPS" in Firefox myself, because that way I can access webpages
> banned by the EU.

You can also do that by setting another DNS resolver in your system.
You can change your DHCOv4/DHCPv6/Router to tell every device to use
that specific DNS.

Re: Is Chromium 107 bypassing DNS settings?

<tjriv1$7hq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1482&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1482

From: noo...@nowhere.net (James H. Markowitz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 16:53:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James H. Markowitz - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 16:53 UTC

On Tue, 1 Nov 2022 16:17:22 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 01.11.2022 um 13:19:36 Uhr schrieb me@privacy.net:
>
>> James H. Markowitz wrote:

>> > I see - Chromium is now telling me what is good for me, and
>> > I am going to like it, right?
>> >

>> I do like it. Why? You can circumvent censorship. I set "DNS over
>> HTTPS" in Firefox myself, because that way I can access webpages banned
>> by the EU.
>
> You can also do that by setting another DNS resolver in your system.
> You can change your DHCOv4/DHCPv6/Router to tell every device to use
> that specific DNS.

Which is exactly what I do and also why this change in the
default behavior in Chromium is so irritating.