From: alan.da...@riscos.org (Alan P Dawes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: pptx files on RISCOS
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 10:29:15 +0100
 by: Alan P Dawes - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 09:29 UTC

Is there a way of reading pptx files on RiscOS?

Thanks
Alan

--
alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk
alan.dawes@riscos.org

Re: pptx files on RISCOS

<fd2fe6045a.john@john.johnandtina.force9.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1482&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1482

From: joh...@johnandtina.force9.co.uk (John Crane)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: pptx files on RISCOS
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 19:08:30 +0100
 by: John Crane - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:08 UTC

In message <5a03aefa12alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>
Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@riscos.org> wrote:

> Is there a way of reading pptx files on RiscOS?

> Thanks
> Alan
I would think probably not.

pptx files are powerpoint presntation files which come with more recent
versions of MS Office.

Not much in the way of Presentation apps for RISC OS these days.

I think OHP could read older ppt files, but I don't think it's been
updated for quite some years.

Re: pptx files on RISCOS

<7f0fcb85-5aa0-4906-a9cc-25dd7bff7ca0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1483&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1483

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 12:40:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: sal...@elesar.co.uk (Elesar Sales)
 by: Elesar Sales - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 19:40 UTC

On Friday, 8 July 2022 at 19:09:50 UTC+1, John Crane wrote:
> In message <5a03aefa12...@argonet.co.uk>
> Alan P Dawes <alan....@riscos.org> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way of reading pptx files on RiscOS?
>
> I would think probably not.

The 'x' suffixed Office file formats are merely XML wrapped in a ZIP file, so you can drop the file onto SparkFS which reveals a directory structure that you can "read" by rummaging round in the raw contents, but that's not quite the same as viewing them like PowerPoint would do.

> Not much in the way of Presentation apps for RISC OS these days.
>
> I think OHP could read older ppt files, but I don't think it's been
> updated for quite some years.

TextEase includes a very capable presentation app ("TeShow" or Presenter) with a story board view, ability to add page transitions, annotate during a presentation, and similar features. Each slide is really just a TextEase page so can mix and match text with any other media TextEase can import like animations and photos.

TextEase 5.99 was updated in the last 12 months
http://shop.elesar.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=87

alas also doesn't natively read PowerPoint, but may be of interest?
Elesar Sales.

Re: pptx files on RISCOS

<5a05797a7bcvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1484&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1484

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 21:57:19 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 20:57 UTC

In article <5a03aefa12alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>,
Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@riscos.org> wrote:
> Is there a way of reading pptx files on RiscOS?

Apparently you can use Google docs' conversion tool to change them to ODP
format and view them in Libre Office on the PC. Then perhaps you could
extract the slides and rebuild something on RiscOS.

Back in about 2007, I wrote an article for Archive mag about doing
presentations on RiscOS using !Thump.

TextEase from Elesar has a presentation app if you want to fork out some
spondulics.

--
Chris Newman

Re: pptx files on RISCOS

<ccda04085a.boase@bernard>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1485&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1485

From: b.bo...@bcs.org
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 20:32:05 +0100
 by: b.bo...@bcs.org - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 19:32 UTC

On 8 Jul 2022, john@johnandtina.force9.co.uk wrote:

> In message <5a03aefa12alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>
> Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@riscos.org> wrote:

>> Is there a way of reading pptx files on RiscOS?

> I would think probably not.

> pptx files are powerpoint presntation files which come with more recent
> versions of MS Office. Not much in the way of Presentation apps for RISC
> OS these days. I think OHP could read older ppt files, but I don't think
> it's been updated for quite some years.

OHP, Fade and TextEase all work well to run a presentation. None of them
can (or could) import PowerPoint files. I use OHP on a Pi Zero at RISC OS
Shows for a rolling display.

OHP 2.60 (18-Oct-2004) from CJE £40
Fade 0.94 (30-May-2016) from The Really Small Software Company Free
TextEase -- refer to Sprow's advice and the Elesar site for cost

Bernard