"Only the hypocrite is really rotten to the core." -- Hannah Arendt.

computers / comp.os.vms / OS Ancestry

SubjectAuthor
* OS AncestryBill Gunshannon
+* Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
|`* Re: OS AncestryBill Gunshannon
| +* Re: OS AncestryDave Froble
| |+* Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
| ||+* Re: OS AncestryRich Alderson
| ||`* Re: OS Ancestryni...@desmith.net
| || `- Re: OS AncestryHenry Crun
| |+- Re: OS AncestryJeffrey H. Coffield
| |`* Re: OS AncestrJonathan
| | `- Re: OS AncestrDave Froble
| +* Re: OS AncestryBob Eager
| |`* Re: OS AncestryDavid Jones
| | `- Re: OS AncestryBob Eager
| `- Re: OS AncestrySimon Clubley
+- Re: OS AncestryChris Scheers
+- Re: OS Ancestry<kemain.nospam
`* Re: OS Ancestry<kemain.nospam
 `* Re: OS AncestrySimon Clubley
  +* Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
  |`* Re: OS AncestryChris Townley
  | +- Re: OS AncestryBill Gunshannon
  | `- Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
  `* Re: OS AncestryDave Froble
   +- Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
   +* A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestrySimon Clubley
   |+* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
   ||`* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestrySimon Clubley
   || +* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
   || |`* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestrySimon Clubley
   || | `* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
   || |  `* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestrySimon Clubley
   || |   `- Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
   || +* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestryBill Gunshannon
   || |+- Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
   || |`- Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestrySimon Clubley
   || `* misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS Ancestry]Rich Alderson
   ||  `* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS Ancestry]Simon Clubley
   ||   +- Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSBob Eager
   ||   `* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSJohn Wallace
   ||    +* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSBill Gunshannon
   ||    |`* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re:chris
   ||    | `* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSBill Gunshannon
   ||    |  `- Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSArne Vajhøj
   ||    `* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS Ancestry]Simon Clubley
   ||     `* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSDave Froble
   ||      +* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re:chris
   ||      |`- Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSArne Vajhøj
   ||      +* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSArne Vajhøj
   ||      |`- Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re:chris
   ||      `* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSBill Gunshannon
   ||       `* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSArne Vajhøj
   ||        +* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSBill Gunshannon
   ||        |`* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSArne Vajhøj
   ||        | +* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS Ancestry]Simon Clubley
   ||        | |`- Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSArne Vajhøj
   ||        | `- Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSBob Eager
   ||        `* Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS Ancestry]Dennis Boone
   ||         `- Re: misstatement of Unix origin [was Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OSArne Vajhøj
   |+* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestryJohn Dallman
   ||`* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestrySimon Clubley
   || `- Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestryArne Vajhøj
   |`* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestryStephen Hoffman
   | `* Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestrySimon Clubley
   |  `- Re: A portable VMS, was: Re: OS AncestryStephen Hoffman
   `- Re: OS AncestryBill Gunshannon

Pages:123
OS Ancestry

<ig4jtiFd5a2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14797&group=comp.os.vms#14797

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: OS Ancestry
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 08:21:06 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Thu, 13 May 2021 12:21 UTC

I have become very curious about the ancestry of VMS. (I am
going to look into some others, but for VMS I do have this
outlet for information!)

Both Primos and Unix came from people recently working on
Multics. Primos went in the same direction as Multics while
Unix appeared to go in a very different direction.

VMS is more similar to Primos than Unix. I have seen it said
that RSX-11 was the immediate parent of VMS. Was that true?
Given that, what is the ancestry going back even further?
Where did VMS actually get its start paradigm-wise?

Anybody here have any of this information?

bill

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7j7dv$1ff7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14798&group=comp.os.vms#14798

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: OS Ancestry
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 08:52:13 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Thu, 13 May 2021 12:52 UTC

On 5/13/2021 8:21 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> I have become very curious about the ancestry of VMS.  (I am
> going to look into some others, but for VMS I do have this
> outlet for information!)
>
> Both Primos and Unix came from people recently working on
> Multics.  Primos went in the same direction as Multics while
> Unix appeared to go in a very different direction.
>
> VMS is more similar to Primos than Unix.  I have seen it said
> that RSX-11 was the immediate parent of VMS.  Was that true?
> Given that, what is the ancestry going back even further?
> Where did VMS actually get its start paradigm-wise?
>
> Anybody here have any of this information?

The story in Wikipedia is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS

<quote>
In April 1975, Digital Equipment Corporation embarked on a hardware
project, code named Star, to design a 32-bit virtual address extension
to its PDP-11 computer line. A companion software project, code named
Starlet, was started in June 1975 to develop a totally new operating
system, based on RSX-11M, for the Star family of processors. These two
projects were tightly integrated from the beginning. Gordon Bell was the
VP lead on the VAX hardware and its architecture. Roger Gourd was the
project lead for the Starlet program, with software engineers Dave
Cutler (who would later lead development of Microsoft's Windows NT),
Dick Hustvedt, and Peter Lipman acting as the technical project leaders,
each having responsibility for a different area of the operating system.
The Star and Starlet projects culminated in the VAX-11/780 computer and
the VAX/VMS operating system. The Starlet name survived in VMS as a name
of several of the main system libraries, including STARLET.OLB and
STARLET.MLB.
</quote>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX-11

<quote>
RSX-11 is a discontinued family of multi-user real-time operating
systems for PDP-11 computers created by Digital Equipment Corporation.
In widespread use through the late 1970s and early 1980s, RSX-11 was
influential in the development of later operating systems such as VMS
and Windows NT.
RSX-11 began as a port to the PDP-11 architecture of the earlier RSX-15
operating system for the PDP-15 minicomputer, first released in 1971.
The main architect for RSX-15 (later renamed XVM/RSX) was Dennis “Dan”
Brevik.
The porting effort first produced small paper tape based real-time
executives (RSX-11A, RSX-11C) which later gained limited support for
disks (RSX-11B). RSX-11B then evolved into the fully fledged RSX-11D
disk-based operating system, which first appeared on the PDP-11/40 and
PDP-11/45 in early 1973. The project leader for RSX-11D up to version 4
was Henry Krejci. While RSX-11D was being completed, Digital set out to
adapt it for a small memory footprint giving birth to RSX-11M, first
released in 1973. From 1971 to 1976 the RSX-11M project was spearheaded
by noted operating system designer Dave Cutler, then at his first
project. Principles first tried in RSX-11M appear also in later designs
led by Cutler, DEC's VMS and Microsoft's Windows NT.
</quote>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-15#RSX-15

<quote>
RSX-15 was released by DEC in 1971. The main architect for RSX-15 (later
renamed XVM/RSX) was Dennis "Dan" Brevik.

Once XVM/RSX was released, DEC facilitated that "a PDP-15 can be
field-upgraded to XVM" but it required "the addition of the XM15 memory
processor."

The RSX-11 operating system began as a port of RSX-15 to the PDP-11,
although it later diverged significantly in terms of design and
functionality.
</quote>

All before my time.

But I do remember that VAX and VMS VAX had some PDP-11 and RSX-11
compatibility mode features.

Arne

Re: OS Ancestry

<ig4miqFdmg6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14799&group=comp.os.vms#14799

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:06:33 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Thu, 13 May 2021 13:06 UTC

On 5/13/21 8:52 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> [...]
> project. Principles first tried in RSX-11M appear also in later designs
> led by Cutler, DEC's VMS and Microsoft's Windows NT.
> </quote>
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-15#RSX-15
>
> <quote>
> RSX-15 was released by DEC in 1971. The main architect for RSX-15 (later
> renamed XVM/RSX) was Dennis "Dan" Brevik.
>
> Once XVM/RSX was released, DEC facilitated that "a PDP-15 can be
> field-upgraded to XVM" but it required "the addition of the XM15 memory
> processor."
>
> The RSX-11 operating system began as a port of RSX-15 to the PDP-11,
> although it later diverged significantly in terms of design and
> functionality.
> </quote>
>
> All before my time.
>
> But I do remember that VAX and VMS VAX had some PDP-11 and RSX-11

Thank you. That takes me back a little bit further. But I fear the
very origins, the driving model, may be long lost by this time. I
have a number of very early textbooks on Operating Systems and none
of them describe features common in VMS or RSX. It's really just
curiosity, but I wondered where some of the concepts originated.

bill

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7jcoi$l67$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14801&group=comp.os.vms#14801

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 10:25:26 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Thu, 13 May 2021 14:25 UTC

On 5/13/2021 9:06 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> [...]
>> field-upgraded to XVM" but it required "the addition of the XM15
>> memory processor."
>>
>> The RSX-11 operating system began as a port of RSX-15 to the PDP-11,
>> although it later diverged significantly in terms of design and
>> functionality.
>> </quote>
>>
>> All before my time.
>>
>> But I do remember that VAX and VMS VAX had some PDP-11 and RSX-11
>> compatibility mode features.
>>
>> Arne
>

> Thank you. That takes me back a little bit further. But I fear the
> very origins, the driving model, may be long lost by this time. I
> have a number of very early textbooks on Operating Systems and none
> of them describe features common in VMS or RSX. It's really just
> curiosity, but I wondered where some of the concepts originated.

Looking at it from a different perspective ....

Back in 1974 I was introduced to a PDP11/40 running RSTS V04b. At the
time, the only supported language was Basic+, an interpreter.

Where RSTS came from, I don't know, but what I was told was that David
Hart of Evens, Griffith, and Hart wrote the original Basic+. David is
no longer with us, but, perhaps John Santos might have some information
of the earlier days.

While DEC ended up with RSTS and Basic+, what it seemed like to me is
that the software people at DEC considered RSX as a proper OS and RSTS
"that other thing". Perhaps where their NIH started, or, perhaps they
already embraced that concept.

I wasn't a user of RSX at the time, so I really don't have any memories
of it on the PDP11.

Some time after 1974, don't know exactly when, DEC produced some type of
RSX subsystem for RSTS, which allowed MACRO-11, and other RSX languages
to run on RSTS. These included BP2 (Basic Plus 2) which was a compiled
version of Basic Plus.

When VAX and VMS came along, VMS inherited much from RSX, as that seemed
to be the preferred choice for the DEC software people. VAX and VMS was
aimed at the scientific market initially. Only when DEC wanted into the
business market did they start incorporating capabilities from RSTS,
since RSTS was heavily used in the business market.

So yeah, VMS was based initially on RSX, and later had RSTS capabilities
added. The result was something better than the sum of RSX and RSTS.

I never heard any stories of where RSTS came from ...

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7jen9$1eon$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14804&group=comp.os.vms#14804

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 10:56:39 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Thu, 13 May 2021 14:56 UTC

On 5/13/2021 10:25 AM, Dave Froble wrote:
> [...]
> of it on the PDP11.
>
> Some time after 1974, don't know exactly when, DEC produced some type of
> RSX subsystem for RSTS, which allowed MACRO-11, and other RSX languages
> to run on RSTS.  These included BP2 (Basic Plus 2) which was a compiled
> version of Basic Plus.
>
> When VAX and VMS came along, VMS inherited much from RSX, as that seemed
> to be the preferred choice for the DEC software people.  VAX and VMS was
> aimed at the scientific market initially.  Only when DEC wanted into the
> business market did they start incorporating capabilities from RSTS,
> since RSTS was heavily used in the business market.
>
> So yeah, VMS was based initially on RSX, and later had RSTS capabilities
> added.  The result was something better than the sum of RSX and RSTS.
>
> I never heard any stories of where RSTS came from ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSTS/E

<quote>
RSTS (/ˈrɪstɪs/) is a multi-user time-sharing operating system,
initially developed by Evans Griffiths & Hart of Boston, and acquired by
Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC, now part of Hewlett Packard) for the
PDP-11 series of 16-bit minicomputers. The first version of RSTS
(RSTS-11, Version 1) was implemented in 1970 by DEC software engineers
that developed the TSS-8 time-sharing operating system for the PDP-8.

1970s

The kernel of RSTS was programmed in the assembly language MACRO-11,
compiled and installed to a disk using the CILUS program, running on a
DOS-11 operating system. RSTS booted into an extended version of the
BASIC programming language which DEC called "BASIC-PLUS". All of the
system software CUSPS for the operating system, including the programs
for resource accounting, login, logout, and managing the system, were
written in BASIC-PLUS. From 1970 to 1973, RSTS ran in only 56K bytes of
magnetic core memory (64 kilobytes including the memory-mapped I/O
space). This would allow a system to have up to 16 terminals with a
maximum of 17 jobs. The maximum program size was 16K bytes. By the end
of 1973 DEC estimated there were 150 licensed systems running RSTS.

In 1973 memory management support was included in RSTS (now RSTS/E) for
the newer DEC PDP-11/40 and PDP-11/45 minicomputers (the PDP-11/20 was
only supported under RSTS-11). The introduction of memory management in
the newer PDP-11 computers not only meant these machines were able to
address four times the amount of memory (18-bit addressing, 256K bytes),
it also paved the way for the developers to separate user mode processes
from the core of the kernel.

In 1975 memory management support was again updated for the newer 22-bit
addressable PDP-11/70. RSTS systems could now be expanded to use as much
as two megabytes of memory running up to 63 jobs. The RTS and CCL
concepts were introduced although they had to be compiled in during
"SYSGEN". Multi-terminal service was introduced which would allow a
single job the ability to control multiple terminals (128 total).
Large-message send/receive and interprocess communication became very
sophisticated and efficient. By August there are 1,200 licensed systems.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: OS Ancestry

<ig50fjFbbbmU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14805&group=comp.os.vms#14805

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 13 May 2021 15:55:31 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 13 May 2021 15:55 UTC

On Thu, 13 May 2021 09:06:33 -0400, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> Thank you. That takes me back a little bit further. But I fear the
> very origins, the driving model, may be long lost by this time. I have
> a number of very early textbooks on Operating Systems and none of them
> describe features common in VMS or RSX.

Which features were you thinking of, as a matter of interest?

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7jjap$oom$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14807&group=comp.os.vms#14807

From: jeff...@digitalsynergyinc.com (Jeffrey H. Coffield)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:15:20 -0700
 by: Jeffrey H. Coffield - Thu, 13 May 2021 16:15 UTC

On 05/13/2021 07:25 AM, Dave Froble wrote:
> [...]
> of it on the PDP11.
>
> Some time after 1974, don't know exactly when, DEC produced some type of
> RSX subsystem for RSTS, which allowed MACRO-11, and other RSX languages
> to run on RSTS. These included BP2 (Basic Plus 2) which was a compiled
> version of Basic Plus.
>
> When VAX and VMS came along, VMS inherited much from RSX, as that seemed
> to be the preferred choice for the DEC software people. VAX and VMS was
> aimed at the scientific market initially. Only when DEC wanted into the
> business market did they start incorporating capabilities from RSTS,
> since RSTS was heavily used in the business market.
>
> So yeah, VMS was based initially on RSX, and later had RSTS capabilities
> added. The result was something better than the sum of RSX and RSTS.
>
> I never heard any stories of where RSTS came from ...

I believe RSX and RSTE were predated by RT-11 which heavily influenced
CP/M and later DOS. TSX-11 (which ran on RT-11) was considered a cheaper
version of RSTS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT-11

Jeff

Re: OS Ancestry

<679c64c2-e891-4eff-840e-58eba5c0c5a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14808&group=comp.os.vms#14808

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:25:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: osuvma...@gmail.com (David Jones)
 by: David Jones - Thu, 13 May 2021 16:25 UTC

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 11:55:34 AM UTC-4, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2021 09:06:33 -0400, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>
> > Thank you. That takes me back a little bit further. But I fear the
> > very origins, the driving model, may be long lost by this time. I have
> > a number of very early textbooks on Operating Systems and none of them
> > describe features common in VMS or RSX.
> Which features were you thinking of, as a matter of interest?

When I took a micro-architecture class in college (~1983), the concept of an
I/O interrupt completely baffled about half the students. The programming
assignments on PCs running CP/M, though I had been using RSX-11M on
an 11/44 for a couple years.

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7jqcv$hcg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14814&group=comp.os.vms#14814

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 18:15:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Thu, 13 May 2021 18:15 UTC

On 2021-05-13, Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you. That takes me back a little bit further. But I fear the
> very origins, the driving model, may be long lost by this time. I
> have a number of very early textbooks on Operating Systems and none
> of them describe features common in VMS or RSX. It's really just
> curiosity, but I wondered where some of the concepts originated.

At one point, there used to be a couple of timeline documents available
online, one about VMS and one about the history of DEC itself.

I wonder if they have been lost to time ?

I had a look for the one about the history of DEC, but couldn't find it.

I did find this however, which might be useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Digital_Equipment_Corporation

Simon.

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7ju4n$ehm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14820&group=comp.os.vms#14820

From: chr...@applied-synergy.com (Chris Scheers)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 14:19:45 -0500
 by: Chris Scheers - Thu, 13 May 2021 19:19 UTC

Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> I have become very curious about the ancestry of VMS. (I am
> going to look into some others, but for VMS I do have this
> outlet for information!)
>
> Both Primos and Unix came from people recently working on
> Multics. Primos went in the same direction as Multics while
> Unix appeared to go in a very different direction.
>
> VMS is more similar to Primos than Unix. I have seen it said
> that RSX-11 was the immediate parent of VMS. Was that true?
> Given that, what is the ancestry going back even further?
> Where did VMS actually get its start paradigm-wise?
>
> Anybody here have any of this information?

Early on, I noticed some similarities between VMS and Xerox CP-V.

At a conference 15 or 20 years ago, I ran into Andy Goldstein and asked
him about this.

He said that, yes, there were 1 or 2 members of the Xerox CP-V
development team on the VMS development team, but he didn't remember
what they were responsible for.

This is all anecdotal.

Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
Fax: 817-237-3074

Re: OS Ancestry

<ig5g1nFbbbmU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14822&group=comp.os.vms#14822

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 13 May 2021 20:21:11 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 13 May 2021 20:21 UTC

On Thu, 13 May 2021 09:25:17 -0700, David Jones wrote:

> On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 11:55:34 AM UTC-4, Bob Eager wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 May 2021 09:06:33 -0400, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>>
>> > Thank you. That takes me back a little bit further. But I fear the
>> > very origins, the driving model, may be long lost by this time. I
>> > have a number of very early textbooks on Operating Systems and none
>> > of them describe features common in VMS or RSX.
>> Which features were you thinking of, as a matter of interest?
>
> When I took a micro-architecture class in college (~1983), the concept
> of an I/O interrupt completely baffled about half the students. The
> programming assignments on PCs running CP/M, though I had been using
> RSX-11M on an 11/44 for a couple years.

I/O interrupts were ther back in the 1960s, and possibly earlier. I
started teaching OD theory and practice in 1978, and it was an absolute
given.

We had an interesting assignment which required students (using a 68000
board) to handle interrupts and time black-white transitions from a basic
bar code reader, then work out a threshold and decode the value.

Re: OS Ancestry

<mailman.4.1620944221.3831.info-vax_rbnsn.com@rbnsn.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14823&group=comp.os.vms#14823

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 19:16:18 -0300
To: "'comp.os.vms to email gateway'" <info-vax@rbnsn.com>
d=1e100.net; s=20161025;
h=x-gm-message-state:from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date
:message-id:mime-version:content-transfer-encoding:content-language
:thread-index;
bh=VB+5o+vXJk9ZlRPQTWAXpz2QVuhGo9F63MRjpnBIwVg=;
b=KtLawVFfOwzUTyPqljm/HzpOJ6FfOKNxcnykiS+zfTg5+aDmskQHLiyMKJ/tlUhMzq
PbV1BWFMyJVkN8G1VKHeqjUMcGllzYJfEvZfr2Mhy2vc/re3g5Ftl6VlhOlnVS9sl5EZ
qgm8nL8/qt042JlkMJPUMwwqQxCmLENKqAdbW9iu9tLxAvq/MqfQIl0iFEGipzQh7Ujl
+fYVdpRlJQ4EAsfS+I4YOT56GwQy57qh+a3tqPY3HePG4zj7sKApTJ9OP4143VaDrbSy
58oUJKFK4yDtPxm9qp6SfF6cQvhmO9IN0IGqxLoJl+v33/xeZM4IVC+lNNWFDAS8X3m4
9Y1A==
h=from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:message-id:mime-version
:content-transfer-encoding:content-language:thread-index;
bh=VB+5o+vXJk9ZlRPQTWAXpz2QVuhGo9F63MRjpnBIwVg=;
b=sNOKHeZtLjsGNQOigOO+1S8Ewtc0Mun3oFNkqeMlVIAlXFE/JjlooC6NHSRN9azprD
gVXpyuysMjzzcCqlh22wGV7edYoWSJFSty2nqKbKWPivOdV+GXUVzuEy+A6Hooz/wjwc
6Ci7fLHyvqcEkNhGnB74zNXgclBHgmPdk26qkhxMRaiVM12RLnYpNGJi/fg63cvNknZV
0CMJRf38NQt56wpL4dSxaDLfFotK3jlIEzIky/5y5p9rlUp67iQQb+GUuls1RMotUigN
QcG+MlxjIWeBlnD3twEze5/FMIrhONhh+eVIaQzlzsknarDyK1UXYjIqWbgA3DH7V++j
hxZQ==
running on the system "kishost2.serverpowered.net",
has NOT identified this incoming email as spam. The original
message has been attached to this so you can view it or label
similar future email. If you have any questions, see
root\@localhost for details. Content preview: >
Content analysis details: (2.8 points, 5.0 required)
pts rule name description
3.0 BAYES_50 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
[score: 0.5000]
0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail
provider [kemain.nospam[at]gmail.com]
-0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
-0.1 DKIM_VALID_AU Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from
author's domain
0.1 DKIM_SIGNED Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily
valid
-0.1 DKIM_VALID Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
-0.1 DKIM_VALID_EF Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from
envelope-from domain
 by: - Thu, 13 May 2021 22:16 UTC

A few history links of interest:

VAX / VMS Timeline: (click on year)
<http://gordonbell.azurewebsites.net/digital/timeline/tmlnhome.htm>
<http://gordonbell.azurewebsites.net/digital/timeline/32-bit.htm>

VMS Release History:
<http://www.polarhome.com/vms/vms_hist.html>

VMS Clusters:
<http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.74.727&rep=rep1&ty
pe=pdf>

VMS vs UNIX (Neil's site)
<http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/vms_vs_unix.html>
<
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/Windows-NT_is_VMS_re-implemented.html#
forward>

Dave Cutler storey from '98
<https://www.itprotoday.com/compute-engines/windows-nt-and-vms-rest-story>

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com

https://www.avg.com

Re: OS Ancestr

<80b4b6b3-7090-4137-81c1-5dbe8a741986n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14826&group=comp.os.vms#14826

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 16:42:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OS Ancestr
From: jtc...@gmail.com (Jonathan)
 by: Jonathan - Thu, 13 May 2021 23:42 UTC

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:23:17 AM UTC-4, Dave Froble wrote:

> Back in 1974 I was introduced to a PDP11/40 running RSTS V04b. At the
> time, the only supported language was Basic+, an interpreter.
>
> Where RSTS came from, I don't know, but what I was told was that David
> Hart of Evens, Griffith, and Hart wrote the original Basic+. David is
> no longer with us, but, perhaps John Santos might have some information
> of the earlier days.

Tim Hart, not David. Tim also wrote the first LISP compiler. He hired me out of college in 1978 and I’m still at EGH.
A great friend, mentor and boss.

> While DEC ended up with RSTS and Basic+, what it seemed like to me is
> that the software people at DEC considered RSX as a proper OS and RSTS
> "that other thing". Perhaps where their NIH started, or, perhaps they
> already embraced that concept.
>
> I wasn't a user of RSX at the time, so I really don't have any memories
> of it on the PDP11.
>
> Some time after 1974, don't know exactly when, DEC produced some type of
> RSX subsystem for RSTS, which allowed MACRO-11, and other RSX languages
> to run on RSTS. These included BP2 (Basic Plus 2) which was a compiled
> version of Basic Plus.

I think the first macro-11 ran under an RT-11-emulating RTS (Run Time System)

> When VAX and VMS came along, VMS inherited much from RSX, as that seemed
> to be the preferred choice for the DEC software people. VAX and VMS was
> aimed at the scientific market initially. Only when DEC wanted into the
> business market did they start incorporating capabilities from RSTS,
> since RSTS was heavily used in the business market.
>
> So yeah, VMS was based initially on RSX, and later had RSTS capabilities
> added. The result was something better than the sum of RSX and RSTS.
>
> I never heard any stories of where RSTS came from ...
>
> --
> David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
> Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: da...@tsoft-inc.com
> DFE Ultralights, Inc.
> 170 Grimplin Road
> Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Re: OS Ancestr

<s7kfe4$jlk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14827&group=comp.os.vms#14827

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 20:17:08 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Fri, 14 May 2021 00:17 UTC

On 5/13/2021 7:42 PM, Jonathan wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:23:17 AM UTC-4, Dave Froble wrote:
>>
>> Back in 1974 I was introduced to a PDP11/40 running RSTS V04b. At the
>> time, the only supported language was Basic+, an interpreter.
>>
>> Where RSTS came from, I don't know, but what I was told was that David
>> Hart of Evens, Griffith, and Hart wrote the original Basic+. David is
>> no longer with us, but, perhaps John Santos might have some information
>> of the earlier days.
>
> Tim Hart, not David. Tim also wrote the first LISP compiler. He hired me out of college in 1978 and I’m still at EGH.
> A great friend, mentor and boss.

Sorry about the name. It's been many years. I met Tim once when I was
at your offices, getting some lessons from John. Hope things are going
well for you guys.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Re: OS Ancestry

<mddtun6t8ts.fsf@panix5.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14831&group=comp.os.vms#14831

From: new...@alderson.users.panix.com (Rich Alderson)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 13 May 2021 21:14:55 -0400
Sender: alderson+news@panix5.panix.com
 by: Rich Alderson - Fri, 14 May 2021 01:14 UTC

=?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:

[ snip ]

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC-PLUS

> <quote>
> BASIC-PLUS is an extended dialect of the BASIC programming language that
> was developed by Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) for use on its
> RSTS/E time-sharing operating system for the PDP-11 series of 16-bit
> minicomputers in the early 1970s through the 1980s.
>
> BASIC-PLUS was based on BASIC-8 for the TSS/8, itself based very closely
> on the original Dartmouth BASIC. BASIC-PLUS added a number of new
> structures, as well as features from JOSS concerning conditional
> statements and formatting. In turn, BASIC-PLUS was the version on which
> the original Microsoft BASIC was patterned.

Wrong.

Microsoft BASIC (originally "Altair BASIC") was based on the BASIC for the
PDP-10 (later rechristened the "DECsystem-10" when a new processor, the KI-10,
was introducec). Bill Gates and Paul Allen learned BASIC first on a GE-635
running GECOS (on the GE Information Systems network), then expanded their use
on a PDP-10 in Seattle.

DISCLAIMER: I worked for Paul Allen for 15 years, building his computer museum,
and was a first reader for his autobiography, so I'm very well aware of where
he learned BASIC. In point of fact, neither of them ever programmed on a
PDP-11 (personal communication from PGA).

--
Rich Alderson news@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7mett$jtl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14840&group=comp.os.vms#14840

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 14:18:35 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Fri, 14 May 2021 18:18 UTC

On 5/13/2021 9:14 PM, Rich Alderson wrote:
> =?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:
>
> [ snip ]
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC-PLUS
>
>> <quote>
>> BASIC-PLUS is an extended dialect of the BASIC programming language that
>> was developed by Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) for use on its
>> RSTS/E time-sharing operating system for the PDP-11 series of 16-bit
>> minicomputers in the early 1970s through the 1980s.
>>
>> BASIC-PLUS was based on BASIC-8 for the TSS/8, itself based very closely
>> on the original Dartmouth BASIC. BASIC-PLUS added a number of new
>> structures, as well as features from JOSS concerning conditional
>> statements and formatting. In turn, BASIC-PLUS was the version on which
>> the original Microsoft BASIC was patterned.
>
> Wrong.
>
> Microsoft BASIC (originally "Altair BASIC") was based on the BASIC for the
> PDP-10 (later rechristened the "DECsystem-10" when a new processor, the KI-10,
> was introducec). Bill Gates and Paul Allen learned BASIC first on a GE-635
> running GECOS (on the GE Information Systems network), then expanded their use
> on a PDP-10 in Seattle.
>
> DISCLAIMER: I worked for Paul Allen for 15 years, building his computer museum,
> and was a first reader for his autobiography, so I'm very well aware of where
> he learned BASIC. In point of fact, neither of them ever programmed on a
> PDP-11 (personal communication from PGA).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_BASIC

explains where the story come from.

<quote>
The Altair BASIC interpreter was developed by Microsoft founders Paul
Allen and Bill Gates using a self-made Intel 8080 emulator running on a
PDP-10 minicomputer.[1] The MS dialect is patterned on Digital Equipment
Corporation's BASIC-PLUS on the PDP-11, which Gates had used in high
school.[2] The first versions supported integer math only, but Monte
Davidoff convinced them that floating-point arithmetic was possible, and
wrote a library which became the Microsoft Binary Format.
</quote>

2. Manes, Stephen (1993). Gates. Doubleday. p. 61. ISBN 9780385420754.

Arne

Re: OS Ancestry

<mddwns0rjv2.fsf@panix5.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14841&group=comp.os.vms#14841

From: new...@alderson.users.panix.com (Rich Alderson)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 14 May 2021 19:11:45 -0400
Sender: alderson+news@panix5.panix.com
 by: Rich Alderson - Fri, 14 May 2021 23:11 UTC

=?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:

> On 5/13/2021 9:14 PM, Rich Alderson wrote:

>> Microsoft BASIC (originally "Altair BASIC") was based on the BASIC for the
>> PDP-10 (later rechristened the "DECsystem-10" when a new processor, the KI-10,
>> was introducec). Bill Gates and Paul Allen learned BASIC first on a GE-635
>> running GECOS (on the GE Information Systems network), then expanded their use
>> on a PDP-10 in Seattle.

>> DISCLAIMER: I worked for Paul Allen for 15 years, building his computer museum,
>> and was a first reader for his autobiography, so I'm very well aware of where
>> he learned BASIC. In point of fact, neither of them ever programmed on a
>> PDP-11 (personal communication from PGA).

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_BASIC

> explains where the story come from.

> <quote>
> The Altair BASIC interpreter was developed by Microsoft founders Paul
> Allen and Bill Gates using a self-made Intel 8080 emulator running on a
> PDP-10 minicomputer.[1] The MS dialect is patterned on Digital Equipment
> Corporation's BASIC-PLUS on the PDP-11, which Gates had used in high
> school.[2] The first versions supported integer math only, but Monte
> Davidoff convinced them that floating-point arithmetic was possible, and
> wrote a library which became the Microsoft Binary Format.
> </quote>

> 2. Manes, Stephen (1993). Gates. Doubleday. p. 61. ISBN 9780385420754.

I stand by my access to the authors of MS BASIC rather than an third party who
does not understand that BASIC for the PDP-11

*DID NOT EXIST WHEN THEY WERE IN HIGH SCHOOL*.

Wikipedia is very often wrong.

--
Rich Alderson news@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,
omnino tamen proprius, quam nunc sumus, ad eam perveniemus.
--Galen

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7n0mt$nid$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14842&group=comp.os.vms#14842

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 19:23:44 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Fri, 14 May 2021 23:23 UTC

On 5/14/2021 2:18 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 5/13/2021 9:14 PM, Rich Alderson wrote:
>> =?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:
>>
>> [ snip ]
>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC-PLUS
>>
>>> <quote>
>>> BASIC-PLUS is an extended dialect of the BASIC programming language that
>>> was developed by Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) for use on its
>>> RSTS/E time-sharing operating system for the PDP-11 series of 16-bit
>>> minicomputers in the early 1970s through the 1980s.
>>>
>>> BASIC-PLUS was based on BASIC-8 for the TSS/8, itself based very closely
>>> on the original Dartmouth BASIC. BASIC-PLUS added a number of new
>>> structures, as well as features from JOSS concerning conditional
>>> statements and formatting. In turn, BASIC-PLUS was the version on which
>>> the original Microsoft BASIC was patterned.
>>
>> Wrong.
>>
>> Microsoft BASIC (originally "Altair BASIC") was based on the BASIC for
>> the
>> PDP-10 (later rechristened the "DECsystem-10" when a new processor,
>> the KI-10,
>> was introducec). Bill Gates and Paul Allen learned BASIC first on a
>> GE-635
>> running GECOS (on the GE Information Systems network), then expanded
>> their use
>> on a PDP-10 in Seattle.
>>
>> DISCLAIMER: I worked for Paul Allen for 15 years, building his
>> computer museum,
>> and was a first reader for his autobiography, so I'm very well aware
>> of where
>> he learned BASIC. In point of fact, neither of them ever programmed on a
>> PDP-11 (personal communication from PGA).
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_BASIC
>
> explains where the story come from.
>
> <quote>
> The Altair BASIC interpreter was developed by Microsoft founders Paul
> Allen and Bill Gates using a self-made Intel 8080 emulator running on a
> PDP-10 minicomputer.[1] The MS dialect is patterned on Digital Equipment
> Corporation's BASIC-PLUS on the PDP-11, which Gates had used in high
> school.[2] The first versions supported integer math only, but Monte
> Davidoff convinced them that floating-point arithmetic was possible, and
> wrote a library which became the Microsoft Binary Format.
> </quote>
>
> 2. Manes, Stephen (1993). Gates. Doubleday. p. 61. ISBN 9780385420754.
>
> Arne

Not everything on Wikipedia is correct. I've found things about me that
were incorrect.

As for Gates and Allen, I remember their work on that version of Basic.
The reason I remember it so well, is because they didn't use bytes for
some things, they used nibbles. Memory was rather valuable in those days.

I can also say that there is much difference between that Basic and
Basic Plus.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7n0tf$3ro$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14843&group=comp.os.vms#14843

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 19:25:32 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Fri, 14 May 2021 23:25 UTC

On 5/14/2021 7:11 PM, Rich Alderson wrote:
> =?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:
>> On 5/13/2021 9:14 PM, Rich Alderson wrote:
>>> Microsoft BASIC (originally "Altair BASIC") was based on the BASIC for the
>>> PDP-10 (later rechristened the "DECsystem-10" when a new processor, the KI-10,
>>> was introducec). Bill Gates and Paul Allen learned BASIC first on a GE-635
>>> running GECOS (on the GE Information Systems network), then expanded their use
>>> on a PDP-10 in Seattle.
>
>>> DISCLAIMER: I worked for Paul Allen for 15 years, building his computer museum,
>>> and was a first reader for his autobiography, so I'm very well aware of where
>>> he learned BASIC. In point of fact, neither of them ever programmed on a
>>> PDP-11 (personal communication from PGA).
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_BASIC
>
>> explains where the story come from.
>
>> <quote>
>> The Altair BASIC interpreter was developed by Microsoft founders Paul
>> Allen and Bill Gates using a self-made Intel 8080 emulator running on a
>> PDP-10 minicomputer.[1] The MS dialect is patterned on Digital Equipment
>> Corporation's BASIC-PLUS on the PDP-11, which Gates had used in high
>> school.[2] The first versions supported integer math only, but Monte
>> Davidoff convinced them that floating-point arithmetic was possible, and
>> wrote a library which became the Microsoft Binary Format.
>> </quote>
>
>> 2. Manes, Stephen (1993). Gates. Doubleday. p. 61. ISBN 9780385420754.
>
> I stand by my access to the authors of MS BASIC rather than an third party who
> does not understand that BASIC for the PDP-11
>
> *DID NOT EXIST WHEN THEY WERE IN HIGH SCHOOL*.
>
> Wikipedia is very often wrong.

And in this case it claims that Basic+ goes back to 1970
and Bill Gates graduated high school in 1973.

Arne

Re: OS Ancestry

<mailman.12.1621119189.3831.info-vax_rbnsn.com@rbnsn.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14851&group=comp.os.vms#14851

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 19:52:26 -0300
To: "'comp.os.vms to email gateway'" <info-vax@rbnsn.com>
[...]
:message-id:mime-version:content-transfer-encoding:thread-index
:content-language;
bh=j6Is1TKF3yx/YsVPhKH3R7H5zgSu1LqkUzCQaj/k3Us=;
b=r9b0otXFn2tiHECS3NGskVnyy0oP8LXDHOm5cZCR22LDA/KFnXRTraDdjs+Zy2cQI9
Uu1iEhtkUnfggpmhzNUF630fez1wXrlHZJK9PdkzT/lFOqCWcwtr7hxQ1XFwF6PytnHJ
/1HiPgdu1XFUh9NgVxYV9Dn/TQdnvDKKGOBJxguk39xBgSOkUyKZIhlR4Ds2fzujna8K
r+IxG58QkRkawHo5ClcQiTPzlY0sy6dhEXlg3uILkOstALwTUpkycMue8ugfco8Ywnxt
kB9sT4hqf8LbOMKDqVUeiqBsCJl0D8fRnEUWGa3F6A/r0UMEgqYZqRnQPwXjCxo5GZk6
dOkw==
h=from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:message-id:mime-version
:content-transfer-encoding:thread-index:content-language;
bh=j6Is1TKF3yx/YsVPhKH3R7H5zgSu1LqkUzCQaj/k3Us=;
b=T0rjjtjKUxwgsK1b5k5HeK74ZydDwMZdUcNyoMSaXQIqDP0WF3ufxRx5a+FYIoRKX4
kd1lctwujF/7XVtDwL11U7TcHWJII9opprnYHuTKuYhEmveqvlqtNs3ybze2N87gi3ZV
BqtgYdlkr7860TLFT3FRBxN5o1PfC+lx9jIzp8C4UvxpfPGyuuztSHGV5QxotCqazDBQ
SmircZtwFxY4DRE8p4fHh+3qIKDeWZOhI/GxgN/IuxyQFk43EilB1ymhVa4dqyY54HGe
2B+3krTzaZOljFKrNTGx5djdbnkzW1AoIyv2ZuZ9MMPGa4GdKHCqW/NoEpT3U+bGhEDf
+mqQ==
 by: - Sat, 15 May 2021 22:52 UTC

Another pretty good link for those looking for VMS history:

<http://gordonbell.azurewebsites.net/digital/Bell_Retrospective_PDP11_paper_
c1998.htm>

"A Retrospective on What We Have Learned From the PDP-11:
What Else Did We Need to Know That Could Have Been Useful in the Design of
the VAX-11 to Make Alpha Easier?

"VMS is the Architecture That Mattered. not PDP-11, VAX, or Alpha"

Gordon Bell
Senior Researcher, Microsoft Corp.
Bay Area Research Center, San Francisco, CA

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com

https://www.avg.com

Re: OS Ancestry

<mdd8s4fh908.fsf@panix5.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14853&group=comp.os.vms#14853

From: new...@alderson.users.panix.com (Rich Alderson)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 15 May 2021 19:28:39 -0400
Sender: alderson+news@panix5.panix.com
 by: Rich Alderson - Sat, 15 May 2021 23:28 UTC

=?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:

> And in this case it claims that Basic+ goes back to 1970
> and Bill Gates graduated high school in 1973.

I repeat: Neither Bill Gates nor Paul Allen programmed on a PDP-11, in high
school or after graduation.

--
Rich Alderson news@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,
omnino tamen proprius, quam nunc sumus, ad eam perveniemus.
--Galen

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7tmtp$oih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14861&group=comp.os.vms#14861

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 12:18:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 17 May 2021 12:18 UTC

On 2021-05-15, <kemain.nospam@gmail.com> <kemain.nospam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another pretty good link for those looking for VMS history:
>
><http://gordonbell.azurewebsites.net/digital/Bell_Retrospective_PDP11_paper_
> c1998.htm>
>
> "A Retrospective on What We Have Learned From the PDP-11:
> What Else Did We Need to Know That Could Have Been Useful in the Design of
> the VAX-11 to Make Alpha Easier?
>
> "VMS is the Architecture That Mattered. not PDP-11, VAX, or Alpha"

From that link:

| Thus, our real oversight was not understanding that VMS should have been
| built on the C machine for portability across any architecture.

This. 5 zillion times this. VMS could have become like Unix in dominance
if this had been the case.

Want to move VMS to a new architecture in this setup ? It would have been
a comparable effort to what is involved in porting Linux to yet another
architecture, instead of the current effort that is involved.

VMS was designed at too low of an abstraction level.

Also, while he mentions BLISS, he skips over all the Macro-32 usage
and, based on discussions here, all the internal calling conventions
within the VMS kernel that requires those registers.

Simon.

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7tn6f$2kg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14863&group=comp.os.vms#14863

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 08:22:39 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Mon, 17 May 2021 12:22 UTC

On 5/17/2021 8:18 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2021-05-15, <kemain.nospam@gmail.com> <kemain.nospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another pretty good link for those looking for VMS history:
>>
>> <http://gordonbell.azurewebsites.net/digital/Bell_Retrospective_PDP11_paper_
>> c1998.htm>
>>
>> "A Retrospective on What We Have Learned From the PDP-11:
>> What Else Did We Need to Know That Could Have Been Useful in the Design of
>> the VAX-11 to Make Alpha Easier?
>>
>> "VMS is the Architecture That Mattered. not PDP-11, VAX, or Alpha"
>
> From that link:
>
> | Thus, our real oversight was not understanding that VMS should have been
> | built on the C machine for portability across any architecture.
>
> This. 5 zillion times this. VMS could have become like Unix in dominance
> if this had been the case.
>
> Want to move VMS to a new architecture in this setup ? It would have been
> a comparable effort to what is involved in porting Linux to yet another
> architecture, instead of the current effort that is involved.
>
> VMS was designed at too low of an abstraction level.

But it is worth remembering that back then (second half 1970's) then
it was not common to write OS in C. Assembler and proprietary languages
was common. That changed in the next 10-15 years.

But that one would be better off if one was able to predict the
future 10 years out is rather obvious.

Arne

Re: OS Ancestry

<s7tpbq$dt8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14866&group=comp.os.vms#14866

From: new...@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 13:59:36 +0100
 by: Chris Townley - Mon, 17 May 2021 12:59 UTC

On 17/05/2021 13:22, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 5/17/2021 8:18 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2021-05-15, <kemain.nospam@gmail.com> <kemain.nospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Another pretty good link for those looking for VMS history:
>>>
>>> <http://gordonbell.azurewebsites.net/digital/Bell_Retrospective_PDP11_paper_
>>>
>>> c1998.htm>
>>>
>>> "A Retrospective on What We Have Learned From the PDP-11:
>>> What Else Did We Need to Know That Could Have Been Useful in the
>>> Design of
>>> the VAX-11 to Make Alpha Easier?
>>>
>>> "VMS is the Architecture That Mattered. not PDP-11, VAX, or Alpha"
>>
>>  From that link:
>>
>> | Thus, our real oversight was not understanding that VMS should have
>> been
>> | built on the C machine for portability across any architecture.
>>
>> This. 5 zillion times this. VMS could have become like Unix in dominance
>> if this had been the case.
>>
>> Want to move VMS to a new architecture in this setup ? It would have been
>> a comparable effort to what is involved in porting Linux to yet another
>> architecture, instead of the current effort that is involved.
>>
>> VMS was designed at too low of an abstraction level.
>
> But it is worth remembering that back then (second half 1970's) then
> it was not common to write OS in C. Assembler and proprietary languages
> was common. That changed in the next 10-15 years.
>
> But that one would be better off if one was able to predict the
> future 10 years out is rather obvious.
>
> Arne

Didn't Unix change that? Was it not built in C from day 1?

--
Chris Townley

Re: OS Ancestry

<igf8q8Ff726U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14867&group=comp.os.vms#14867

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 09:19:04 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Mon, 17 May 2021 13:19 UTC

On 5/17/21 8:59 AM, Chris Townley wrote:
> On 17/05/2021 13:22, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> On 5/17/2021 8:18 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:

>>>  From that link:

>>> been
>>>
>>> This. 5 zillion times this. VMS could have become like Unix in dominance
>>> if this had been the case.
>>>
>>> Want to move VMS to a new architecture in this setup ? It would have
>>> been
>>> a comparable effort to what is involved in porting Linux to yet another
>>> architecture, instead of the current effort that is involved.
>>>
>>> VMS was designed at too low of an abstraction level.
>>
>> But it is worth remembering that back then (second half 1970's) then
>> it was not common to write OS in C. Assembler and proprietary languages
>> was common. That changed in the next 10-15 years.
>>
>> But that one would be better off if one was able to predict the
>> future 10 years out is rather obvious.
>>
>> Arne
>>
> Didn't Unix change that? Was it not built in C from day 1?

No, it started as PDP-7 Assembler and was originally called Unics,
a pun on Multics.

bill