From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Now "Prince of Persia" is back too...
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 23:15:59 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 04:15 UTC

First "Tribes", now "Prince of Persia".

It releases in the middle of next month. Here's the announcement
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWPV4i_Ow84

Unlike the previous games' third-person, over-the-shoulder viewpoints,
this new game - "Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown" is returning to the
original's side-scrolling roots. I'm not sure what to think of that. I
admired the original games by Mechner more than I actually enjoyed
them; they were technically and artistically brilliant, but I didn't
have fun playing them. It was the Ubisoft games - "The Sands of Time"
trilogy - that made me fall in love with the franchise.

(The 2008 reboot was surprisingly fun too, even if its hand-holding
was a divisive mechanic for some. The less said about 1999's "Prince
of Persia 3D" the better, though).

I can't say the try-hard so-cool "I'm a living war machine"
protagonist is winning any points with me either. It'll probably be a
huge hit with the thirteen-year old boys, though. Still, the gameplay
looks smooth and seems to utilize some of the time-manipulation
mechanics from its predecessors. It's colorful graphics are an eyeful
too. Its over-saturated, almost neon visuals might actually be a bit
excessive; it doesn't seem the sort of game I could endure playing for
overly long periods of time.

Still, like "Tribes", it's one of those franchises that tickle my
nostalgia, and it's nice to see Ubisoft moving away from its normal,
formulaic open-world games. Will I rush out to buy this one? Hell no.
But I'll be eagerly waiting for it to come to HumbleChoice or Amazon
Prime. ;-P

Re: Now "Prince of Persia" is back too...

<ul411f$2kmf8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14810&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14810

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Now "Prince of Persia" is back too...
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:39:59 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 09:39 UTC

Am 10.12.23 um 05:15 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:

> First "Tribes", now "Prince of Persia".
>
> It releases in the middle of next month. Here's the announcement
> video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWPV4i_Ow84
>
> Unlike the previous games' third-person, over-the-shoulder viewpoints,
> this new game - "Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown" is returning to the
> original's side-scrolling roots. I'm not sure what to think of that. I
> admired the original games by Mechner more than I actually enjoyed
> them; they were technically and artistically brilliant, but I didn't
> have fun playing them. It was the Ubisoft games - "The Sands of Time"
> trilogy - that made me fall in love with the franchise.

They were great in their time, but from a modern PV they are awful, half
a second input lag to the the animation goingg. You get used to it.
The game was great in its time, but did not age well, because of the
technical limitations!
But hey, any POP game is welcome, given that POP basically was the
father of assassins creed (the first pop originally was named POP
assassin, but then renamed to get rid of the prince aspect which was too
limiting)
Since then there was no new game, I loved the 3d pops although the
artstyle often was somewhat...