"To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." -- Woody Allen

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

SubjectAuthor
* Steam Deck Oled mini reviewWerner P.
+* Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewPW
|`* Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewWerner P.
| +* Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewPW
| |`* Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewWerner P.
| | `- Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewPW
| +- Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewPW
| `- Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewPW
+- Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewJAB
+- Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewPW
`* Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewrms
 `- Re: Steam Deck Oled mini reviewWerner P.

1
Steam Deck Oled mini review

<uk5hqe$dnij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14567&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14567

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Steam Deck Oled mini review
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:16:13 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:16 UTC

Well, I got my Steamn Deck oled yesterday, so far I am very pleased with
the device. It is a mid gen upgrade to the original deck with an Oled
display, so no surprises. However there are smaller adjustments
the haptics of the trackpads are slightly better with you can feel them
more while moving your thumbs.

Battery life a lot better. I have been playing Oblivion for two hours,
given it is not the most demanding game, and only got the battery down
20% on the old deck it would probably have been 40% in the same time.
Sticks, slightly better grip (again same effect as with the trackpads.
Fans, way less noise, i did not mind the noise of the old fans, but it
has become way better now.

Display absolutely lovely, hdr1000 on OLED really nice!
The rest is more or less the same, same haptics, slightly lighter (but I
do not notice it really), the steam and power menu buttons are slightly
easier to find (stick out a little bit more so it is easier to find them
without looking)

Triggers feel slightly different, however not sure whether they feel
better, guess thats a matter of what you are used to anyway not a huge
difference.

Analog sticks, feel the same, again high quality potentionmeter sticks,
the stick top has better grip as I said, the deadzone, I got it down to
almost the same values as with my hall based ones in the my original
deck. This time I wont bother replacing them with hall based ones, makes
no difference.

So far a really nice upgrade.
Also this time Valve did not have any problems with the initial pack of
devices nubmers wise, literally everyone who ordered the first two hours
is getting his now. Took me roughly 10 days from ordering to have it in
my hands. Nice job!

Call me happy... and this money wont go into the next gpu update which I
will postpone for another bunch of years.

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<fifdmilvcm7lda66m50ii3rrr5n5e20g6s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14571&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14571

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:31:23 -0700
 by: PW - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 04:31 UTC

On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:16:13 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Well, I got my Steamn Deck oled yesterday, so far I am very pleased with
>the device. It is a mid gen upgrade to the original deck with an Oled
>display, so no surprises. However there are smaller adjustments
>the haptics of the trackpads are slightly better with you can feel them
>more while moving your thumbs.
>
>Battery life a lot better. I have been playing Oblivion for two hours,
>given it is not the most demanding game, and only got the battery down
>20% on the old deck it would probably have been 40% in the same time.
>Sticks, slightly better grip (again same effect as with the trackpads.
>Fans, way less noise, i did not mind the noise of the old fans, but it
>has become way better now.
>
>Display absolutely lovely, hdr1000 on OLED really nice!
>The rest is more or less the same, same haptics, slightly lighter (but I
>do not notice it really), the steam and power menu buttons are slightly
>easier to find (stick out a little bit more so it is easier to find them
>without looking)
>
>Triggers feel slightly different, however not sure whether they feel
>better, guess thats a matter of what you are used to anyway not a huge
>difference.
>
>Analog sticks, feel the same, again high quality potentionmeter sticks,
>the stick top has better grip as I said, the deadzone, I got it down to
>almost the same values as with my hall based ones in the my original
>deck. This time I wont bother replacing them with hall based ones, makes
>no difference.
>
>So far a really nice upgrade.
>Also this time Valve did not have any problems with the initial pack of
>devices nubmers wise, literally everyone who ordered the first two hours
>is getting his now. Took me roughly 10 days from ordering to have it in
>my hands. Nice job!
>
>Call me happy... and this money wont go into the next gpu update which I
>will postpone for another bunch of years.

*--

Which one did you get Werner? I do not want the bottom one and I
think that is still the only one available.

I have an OLED monitor (AW3423DWF) and it is wonderful so I would like
to see one of these in person :-)

-pw

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<uk7ql9$tqc7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14581&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14581

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:59:21 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:59 UTC

Am 29.11.23 um 05:31 schrieb PW:
> Which one did you get Werner? I do not want the bottom one and I
> think that is still the only one available.
>
> I have an OLED monitor (AW3423DWF) and it is wonderful so I would like
> to see one of these in person 🙂
Got the one with the edged glass i figured it is more annoying to have
reflections than a slightly almost not noticable diffusion. The edging
was not an issue in the first revision either!

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<j2dfmidvnuhds68ck35nmh8tra8i3qrb75@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14587&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14587

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:02:40 -0700
 by: PW - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:02 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:59:21 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Am 29.11.23 um 05:31 schrieb PW:
>> Which one did you get Werner? I do not want the bottom one and I
>> think that is still the only one available.
>>
>> I have an OLED monitor (AW3423DWF) and it is wonderful so I would like
>> to see one of these in person ?
>Got the one with the edged glass i figured it is more annoying to have
>reflections than a slightly almost not noticable diffusion. The edging
>was not an issue in the first revision either!

*---

??

Steam Deck? I am not buying another $1K +/- monitor anytime soon. My
current Alienware suits me just fine! :-)

The 512GB and 1TBGB ones links now work at steamdeck page.

$100 more for twice the storage for the high-end one. hmmmm... like
someone already said here, will probably end up in a drawer some day
(soon)!

-pw

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<mkffmi1vcmp3isv4qjcsm50f9sb0ks9qdg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14589&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14589

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:46:51 -0700
 by: PW - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:46 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:59:21 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Am 29.11.23 um 05:31 schrieb PW:
>> Which one did you get Werner? I do not want the bottom one and I
>> think that is still the only one available.
>>
>> I have an OLED monitor (AW3423DWF) and it is wonderful so I would like
>> to see one of these in person ?
>Got the one with the edged glass i figured it is more annoying to have
>reflections than a slightly almost not noticable diffusion. The edging
>was not an issue in the first revision either!

*--

Oh - see - the premium one!! $649

Maybe I will!

tomshardware had a link to a discounted fancy new xbox on cybermonday
but I alreay have an xbox s (?) and didn't know if I should get an
xbox or playstation. I decided that my PC plays everything I want and
wasn't sure if either one had any great games not out for the PC, and
if they could hook up to my monitor as the TV in my man cave is way
old.

Same for the one in the living room but I have no one to play games
with. Never did. So I think I just talked myself into a Steam Deck
:-)

-pw

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<uk9og5$1aqpi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14592&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14592

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:34:45 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:34 UTC

On 28/11/2023 20:16, Werner P. wrote:
> Well, I got my Steamn Deck oled yesterday, so far I am very pleased with
> the device. It is a mid gen upgrade to the original deck with an Oled
> display, so no surprises. However there are smaller adjustments
> the haptics of the trackpads are slightly better with you can feel them
> more while moving your thumbs.
>
> Battery life a lot better. I have been playing Oblivion for two hours,
> given it is not the most demanding game, and only got the battery down
> 20% on the old deck it would probably have been 40% in the same time.
> Sticks, slightly better grip (again same effect as with the trackpads.
> Fans, way less noise, i did not mind the noise of the old fans, but it
> has become way better now.
>
> Display absolutely lovely, hdr1000 on OLED really nice!
> The rest is more or less the same, same haptics, slightly lighter (but I
> do not notice it really), the steam and power menu buttons are slightly
> easier to find (stick out a little bit more so it is easier to find them
> without looking)
>
> Triggers feel slightly different, however not sure whether they feel
> better, guess thats a matter of what you are used to anyway not a huge
> difference.
>
> Analog sticks, feel the same, again high quality potentionmeter sticks,
> the stick top has better grip as I said, the deadzone, I got it down to
> almost the same values as with my hall based ones in the my original
> deck. This time I wont bother replacing them with hall based ones, makes
> no difference.
>
> So far a really nice upgrade.
> Also this time Valve did not have any problems with the initial pack of
> devices nubmers wise, literally everyone who ordered the first two hours
> is getting his now. Took me roughly 10 days from ordering to have it in
> my hands.  Nice job!
>
> Call me happy... and this money wont go into the next gpu update which I
> will postpone for another bunch of years.

Glad you like it!

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<uk9vu6$1c0hj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14594&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14594

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:41:42 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:41 UTC

Am 29.11.23 um 23:02 schrieb PW:
> $100 more for twice the storage for the high-end one. hmmmm... like
> someone already said here, will probably end up in a drawer some day
> (soon)!
actually not for me, the Steam Deck has become my main gaming device!

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<uhehmilmucb141iqkm6ci7utett22fjka6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14604&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14604

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:37:37 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:37 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:41:42 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Am 29.11.23 um 23:02 schrieb PW:
>> $100 more for twice the storage for the high-end one. hmmmm... like
>> someone already said here, will probably end up in a drawer some day
>> (soon)!
>actually not for me, the Steam Deck has become my main gaming device!

*--

Then I am glad I ordered one yesterday :-)

-pw

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<eakmmi580bbpgpvj220rm9cuvr08h48vhs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14648&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14648

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 08:47:44 -0700
 by: PW - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:47 UTC

On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:16:13 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Well, I got my Steamn Deck oled yesterday, so far I am very pleased with
>the device. It is a mid gen upgrade to the original deck with an Oled
>display, so no surprises. However there are smaller adjustments
>the haptics of the trackpads are slightly better with you can feel them
>more while moving your thumbs.
>
>Battery life a lot better. I have been playing Oblivion for two hours,
>given it is not the most demanding game, and only got the battery down
>20% on the old deck it would probably have been 40% in the same time.
>Sticks, slightly better grip (again same effect as with the trackpads.
>Fans, way less noise, i did not mind the noise of the old fans, but it
>has become way better now.
>
>Display absolutely lovely, hdr1000 on OLED really nice!
>The rest is more or less the same, same haptics, slightly lighter (but I
>do not notice it really), the steam and power menu buttons are slightly
>easier to find (stick out a little bit more so it is easier to find them
>without looking)
>
>Triggers feel slightly different, however not sure whether they feel
>better, guess thats a matter of what you are used to anyway not a huge
>difference.
>
>Analog sticks, feel the same, again high quality potentionmeter sticks,
>the stick top has better grip as I said, the deadzone, I got it down to
>almost the same values as with my hall based ones in the my original
>deck. This time I wont bother replacing them with hall based ones, makes
>no difference.
>
>So far a really nice upgrade.
>Also this time Valve did not have any problems with the initial pack of
>devices nubmers wise, literally everyone who ordered the first two hours
>is getting his now. Took me roughly 10 days from ordering to have it in
>my hands. Nice job!
>
>Call me happy... and this money wont go into the next gpu update which I
>will postpone for another bunch of years.

*--

I wonder how it will do with spazy quick moving games like Grim Dawn,
not that I play games like that very often. I guess there is a Steam
list of "approved" or tested games that will run on the Deck.

-pw

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<0ksvmi5b8n25tdima6vnh18h1gs15njt79@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14719&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14719

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 21:04:57 -0700
 by: PW - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 04:04 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:59:21 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Am 29.11.23 um 05:31 schrieb PW:
>> Which one did you get Werner? I do not want the bottom one and I
>> think that is still the only one available.
>>
>> I have an OLED monitor (AW3423DWF) and it is wonderful so I would like
>> to see one of these in person ?
>Got the one with the edged glass i figured it is more annoying to have
>reflections than a slightly almost not noticable diffusion. The edging
>was not an issue in the first revision either!

*--

I got mine today Werner. Took less than a week, counting non-business
days!

It is slick! And no where near as heavy as I thought. Fouind some
web pages with recommended games for the Deck.

Doubt I will stop playing games on my PC but maybe less on my iPad now
:-)

_pw

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<ul86ms$3bt8d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14831&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14831

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:41:15 -0700
 by: rms - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 23:41 UTC

Useful utility for streaming PS5 games to steamdeck!
https://steamdeckhq.com/news/chiaki4deck-1-5-0-adds-hdr-support-for-ps5/

rms

Re: Steam Deck Oled mini review

<ul91bs$3itb9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14832&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#14832

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 08:16:12 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 07:16 UTC

Am 12.12.23 um 00:41 schrieb rms:
> Useful utility for streaming PS5 games to steamdeck!
> https://steamdeckhq.com/news/chiaki4deck-1-5-0-adds-hdr-support-for-ps5/
>
> rms
Yes have been using it, for a while, works really well!