New crypt. See /usr/news/crypt.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...

SubjectAuthor
* Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...killa-de-bug
+- Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...killa-de-bug
+* Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...TheSidhe
|`- Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...RonB
`* Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...Granger Watkins
 +- Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...Edmund
 +* Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...killa-de-bug
 |`- Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...Mike Easter
 `- Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...RonB

1
Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...

<sa2onl$s1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1492&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1492

From: killd...@mouse-potato.com (killa-de-bug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 16:52:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: killa-de-bug - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 16:52 UTC

I've been looking for a long time for a native Linux USB disk creator
program that is good as or better than Rufus (which only runs under
Windows)....I've tried many of them including USB creator, Disk imager ,
Etcher (which was really good, but still not as good as Rufus).....So for
a long time I would boot up a vm of Win 10 just to run Rufus.....Until I
found a truly Rufus slaying Linux native USB creator program....That
program is called Flashit...it is by the same developer that makes
TimeShift for using and managing BTRFS snapshots....This program does
everything Rufus does and more....and it is a full blown Linux Native
app....

The program costs $9.00 which includes lifetime upgrades and a
transferable license.....

Sorry for the pontificating......I'm just finally so glad to find a USB
creator program for Linux...so I don't ever need to boot into Win 10 to
run Rufus ever again.....

--
Pull my Finger

Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...

<sa2vlj$5ut$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1494&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1494

From: killd...@mouse-potato.com (killa-de-bug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:50:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: killa-de-bug - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:50 UTC

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 16:52:05 +0000, killa-de-bug wrote:

> I've been looking for a long time for a native Linux USB disk creator
> program that is good as or better than Rufus (which only runs under
> Windows)....I've tried many of them including USB creator, Disk imager ,
> Etcher (which was really good, but still not as good as Rufus).....So
> for a long time I would boot up a vm of Win 10 just to run
> Rufus.....Until I found a truly Rufus slaying Linux native USB creator
> program....That program is called Flashit...it is by the same developer
> that makes TimeShift for using and managing BTRFS snapshots....This
> program does everything Rufus does and more....and it is a full blown
> Linux Native app....
>
> The program costs $9.00 which includes lifetime upgrades and a
> transferable license.....
>
> Sorry for the pontificating......I'm just finally so glad to find a USB
> creator program for Linux...so I don't ever need to boot into Win 10 to
> run Rufus ever again.....

I'm not going to name the developer but you can DudkDukGo or Startpage
the name Flashit and it should take you right to the developers site.

Just as an also update I use his program called Aptik, it will clone
everything of your exisiting installation (highly customizeable by the
way....you install a new version of your OS....I use LMDE4...then run
Aptik and your old install is transferred seamlessly to your new
install....I have done several tests securely erasing my
ssd...reinstalling a OS my of choice...then running Aptik to
restore....and it has worked every single time....

Again I'm not shamelssly plugging these programs...I'm just sharing this
info for people who love and use Linux and want to support Native Linux
apps that work wonderfully.

I guess I'm what you would call a lurker in these NG, I do not post to
much...but I read just about all the posts....and it just blows my friggin
mind how helpful, knowledgeable, considerate...etc....these people
are....so I just want to contribute back in the only way I know how....to
share programs that make my Linux life easier.....I'm a firm believer in
the KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid...of which I am the grateful
receiptiant

--
Pull my Finger

Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...

<Lt7xI.177417$qy1.131779@fx26.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1495&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1495

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: nic...@none.net (TheSidhe)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 14:58:51 -0400
 by: TheSidhe - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:58 UTC

On 6/12/21 12:52 PM, killa-de-bug wrote:
> I've been looking for a long time for a native Linux USB disk creator
> program that is good as or better than Rufus (which only runs under
> Windows)....I've tried many of them including USB creator, Disk imager ,
> Etcher (which was really good, but still not as good as Rufus).....So for
> a long time I would boot up a vm of Win 10 just to run Rufus.....Until I
> found a truly Rufus slaying Linux native USB creator program....That
> program is called Flashit...it is by the same developer that makes
> TimeShift for using and managing BTRFS snapshots....This program does
> everything Rufus does and more....and it is a full blown Linux Native
> app....
>
> The program costs $9.00 which includes lifetime upgrades and a
> transferable license.....
>
> Sorry for the pontificating......I'm just finally so glad to find a USB
> creator program for Linux...so I don't ever need to boot into Win 10 to
> run Rufus ever again.....

I use USB Image Writer which I think is called Mintstick in my software
manager, works well to write iso images to a thumb drive, and they boot
up nicely.

Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...

<sa3jt5$n2v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1498&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1498

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 00:35:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 00:35 UTC

On 2021-06-12, TheSidhe <nic@none.net> wrote:
> On 6/12/21 12:52 PM, killa-de-bug wrote:
>> I've been looking for a long time for a native Linux USB disk creator
>> program that is good as or better than Rufus (which only runs under
>> Windows)....I've tried many of them including USB creator, Disk imager ,
>> Etcher (which was really good, but still not as good as Rufus).....So for
>> a long time I would boot up a vm of Win 10 just to run Rufus.....Until I
>> found a truly Rufus slaying Linux native USB creator program....That
>> program is called Flashit...it is by the same developer that makes
>> TimeShift for using and managing BTRFS snapshots....This program does
>> everything Rufus does and more....and it is a full blown Linux Native
>> app....
>>
>> The program costs $9.00 which includes lifetime upgrades and a
>> transferable license.....
>>
>> Sorry for the pontificating......I'm just finally so glad to find a USB
>> creator program for Linux...so I don't ever need to boot into Win 10 to
>> run Rufus ever again.....
>>

> I use USB Image Writer which I think is called Mintstick in my software
> manager, works well to write iso images to a thumb drive, and they boot
> up nicely.

That's what I use as well. But it does look like Flashit does more (just not
stuff I need to do).

--
Using Linux (Crostini) in a Chromebook

Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...

<qegxI.54603$iY.3102@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1499&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1499

From: grwatk...@yahoo.com (Granger Watkins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 04:56:54 GMT
 by: Granger Watkins - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 04:56 UTC

I must have been doing it all wrong. From the Command line:

DD: Best ISO to USB copy: sudo dd if=Downloads/mynewestdistro.iso of=/dev/
sdx status=”progress”

For Ubuntu and children remove the "" around progress.

Oh, and its free

Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...

<sa4a45$15o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1500&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1500

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 08:55:01 +0200
 by: Edmund - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 06:55 UTC

On 6/13/21 6:56 AM, Granger Watkins wrote:
> I must have been doing it all wrong. From the Command line:
>
> DD: Best ISO to USB copy: sudo dd if=Downloads/mynewestdistro.iso of=/dev/
> sdx status=”progress”
>
> For Ubuntu and children remove the "" around progress.
>
> Oh, and its free

Don't be such a jerk, you know perfectly well that that silly old
fashioned command line grap doesn't belong in a modern OS for everyday use
or normal users.

Edmund

--
“The further a society drift from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...

<sa4t0a$mvg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1502&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1502

From: killd...@mouse-potato.com (killa-de-bug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:17:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: killa-de-bug - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:17 UTC

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 04:56:54 +0000, Granger Watkins wrote:

> I must have been doing it all wrong. From the Command line:
>
> DD: Best ISO to USB copy: sudo dd if=Downloads/mynewestdistro.iso
> of=/dev/
> sdx status=”progress”
>
> For Ubuntu and children remove the "" around progress.
>
> Oh, and its free

You my friend are absolutely correct...DD gets the job done and it is
free.....I've used DD over the years...never failed once.....However in
my advancing years I guess I've found it easier to use a "point and
click" type program....

--
Pull my Finger

Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...

<sa4t86$ijr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1503&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1503

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:21:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:21 UTC

On 2021-06-13, Granger Watkins <grwatkins@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I must have been doing it all wrong. From the Command line:
>
> DD: Best ISO to USB copy: sudo dd if=Downloads/mynewestdistro.iso of=/dev/
> sdx status=”progress”
>
> For Ubuntu and children remove the "" around progress.
>
> Oh, and its free

So is USB Image Writer. Just four clicks and you have your Live Linux thumb
drive. Nothing wrong with your way though. That's the cool thing about
Linux, lots of choices.

If I was going to use the command line on a regular basis for this, I would
probably write a shell script to do it (because I'm lazy).

As a matter of fact, I think I'll try writing that script. Thanks.

--
Using Linux (Crostini) in a Chromebook

Re: Linux Imaging program...Just sharing...

<iimuuaFcf4tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1504&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1504

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 10:52:09 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 17:52 UTC

killa-de-bug wrote:
> I guess I've found it easier to use a "point and
> click" type program....

I think more people /might/ use the command line if the instructional
pages which give examples of the commands such as this task would also
mention strategies to cut down on keystrokes and potential errors such
as tab completion and such as lsblk to show the usb situation.

There are some tasks which can be done quickly and comfortably in the
command line and some others which are more comfortable and convenient
by GUI.

Command line mavens do more in the command line because of the level of
their comfort and convenience with it. The commands and syntax are well
established in their heads as well as the 'tricks'/shortcuts to enable
convenience and having their hands leave the keyboard for the mouse is
somewhat uncomfortable and inconvenient for them; make that 'less
comfortable' & 'less convenient'.

GUI folks don't have the same mental lock on the commands and syntax and
their daily existence is spent using the mouse, so there is 'no problem'
for them ergonomically 'jumping around' from kb to mouse.

Linux has great depth these days in both its command and gui elements.

--
Mike Easter