6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Random dark mode in Safari

SubjectAuthor
* Random dark mode in SafariJulien ÉLIE
+* Re: Random dark mode in SafariJolly Roger
|`* Re: Random dark mode in SafariJulien ÉLIE
| `* Re: Random dark mode in SafariJolly Roger
|  `- Re: Random dark mode in SafariJulien ÉLIE
+* Re: Random dark mode in SafariDavid Ritz
|+* Re: Random dark mode in SafariJulien ÉLIE
||`* Re: Random dark mode in SafariJulien ÉLIE
|| `* Re: Random dark mode in SafariJoerg Lorenz
||  `* Re: Random dark mode in SafariJolly Roger
||   `- Re: Random dark mode in SafariJoerg Lorenz
|`- Re: Random dark mode in SafariJolly Roger
`- Re: Random dark mode in SafariJulien ÉLIE

1
Random dark mode in Safari

<jqb9baF920pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14988&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14988

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Random dark mode in Safari
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 20:26:49 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 18:26 UTC

Hi,

I installed a few weeks ago last 12.6 version of macOS Monterey, which
notably ships Safari 16. Since then, web sites are randomly displayed
in dark mode. I do not understand why, neither what triggers their
suddenly opening in dark mode.

For instance, I'm navigating in a web site fine in clear mode, and click
on a link of the same web site domain to open it in a new tab.
Sometimes it opens in clear mode, and sometimes in dark mode. If I
copy/paste the URL of the tab which opened in dark mode into a new fresh
tab, it always displays in clear mode in that new tab.
Very very weird.

Yet, I made sure that in my System Preferences > General, the default
appearance is "Clear mode".
I've never used dark mode on my computer. And since the last update, it
is suddenly randomly happening with Safari (never with other apps).

Do you have any clue about what could be happening? And what should I
check to fix that?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Subi dura a rudibus. »

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<jqc59bFdbbgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14989&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14989

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Random dark mode in Safari
Date: 8 Oct 2022 02:23:39 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 02:23 UTC

On 2022-10-07, Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed a few weeks ago last 12.6 version of macOS Monterey, which
> notably ships Safari 16. Since then, web sites are randomly displayed
> in dark mode. I do not understand why, neither what triggers their
> suddenly opening in dark mode.
>
> For instance, I'm navigating in a web site fine in clear mode, and click
> on a link of the same web site domain to open it in a new tab.
> Sometimes it opens in clear mode, and sometimes in dark mode. If I
> copy/paste the URL of the tab which opened in dark mode into a new fresh
> tab, it always displays in clear mode in that new tab.
> Very very weird.
>
> Yet, I made sure that in my System Preferences > General, the default
> appearance is "Clear mode".

Do you mean "Light Mode"? There is no "Clear Mode".

> I've never used dark mode on my computer. And since the last update, it
> is suddenly randomly happening with Safari (never with other apps).
>
> Do you have any clue about what could be happening? And what should I
> check to fix that?

It's possible the particular website(s) in question have their own dark
mode settings. You didn't mention the specific website though, so we're
left guessing.

JR

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<55qs4553-o5sr-173p-n645-rq18q52935s4@zvaqfcevat.pbz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14990&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14990

From: dri...@mindspring.com (David Ritz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 21:45:18 -0500
 by: David Ritz - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 02:45 UTC

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<jqco77FfvkbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14991&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14991

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 09:46:46 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 07:46 UTC

Hi Jolly Roger,

>> Yet, I made sure that in my System Preferences > General, the default
>> appearance is "Clear mode".
>
> Do you mean "Light Mode"? There is no "Clear Mode".

Yes, I mean "Light Mode", sorry for the wrong term in English.
I'm using a French localized version in which it is "Mode d'apparence :
Clair".

>> Do you have any clue about what could be happening? And what should I
>> check to fix that?
>
> It's possible the particular website(s) in question have their own dark
> mode settings. You didn't mention the specific website though, so we're
> left guessing.

In fact, it happens on every web site, randomly. Sometimes Amazon is in
light mode, sometimes in dark mode; same thing for web sites like
Vinted, Google search engine, GitHub, etc. They almost always are in
light mode but sometimes they open in dark mode; I close the tab in
Safari and open another one in which it becomes in light mode.

Very strange, and I do not find any bug report about that (seems like it
is not a general bug).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Une fois que l'on a dépassé les bornes, il n'y a plus de limites. »
(Alphonse Allais)

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<jqcoh5FfvkbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14992&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14992

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 09:52:05 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 07:52 UTC

Hi David,

> Have you checked your System Preferences -> Displays -> Night Shift?
> Turning Night Shift schedule to off may provide you some relief.

I've just checked: Night Shift is always active (I set it from 03:00 to
02:59) so that I have a continuous blue-light protection.
It has been set like this since several years, without any issue of Dark
Mode, appearing only in Safari by the way (I have tried Firefox in
parallel, which did not show pages in Dark Mode, at least during my tests).

I disable it for today, just to be sure.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get. » (Larry
Wall)

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<jqcromFfvkbU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14993&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14993

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 10:47:18 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 08:47 UTC

Hi David,

>> Have you checked your System Preferences -> Displays -> Night Shift?
>> Turning Night Shift schedule to off may provide you some relief.
>
> I've just checked: Night Shift is always active (I set it from 03:00 to
> 02:59) so that I have a continuous blue-light protection.
> It has been set like this since several years, without any issue of Dark
> Mode, appearing only in Safari by the way (I have tried Firefox in
> parallel, which did not show pages in Dark Mode, at least during my tests).
>
> I disable it for today, just to be sure.

Unfortunately, the issue with Dark Mode in Safari is still here, even
with Night Shift disabled :-(

--
Julien ÉLIE

« PowerPoint allows speakers to pretend that they are giving a real
talk, and audiences to pretend that they are listening. » (Edward R.
Tufte, _The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint_)

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<ths7cj$1r9l$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14994&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14994

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 18:09:55 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 16:09 UTC

Am 08.10.22 um 10:47 schrieb Julien ÉLIE:
> Hi David,
>
>>> Have you checked your System Preferences -> Displays -> Night Shift?
>>> Turning Night Shift schedule to off may provide you some relief.
>>
>> I've just checked: Night Shift is always active (I set it from 03:00 to
>> 02:59) so that I have a continuous blue-light protection.
>> It has been set like this since several years, without any issue of Dark
>> Mode, appearing only in Safari by the way (I have tried Firefox in
>> parallel, which did not show pages in Dark Mode, at least during my tests).
>>
>> I disable it for today, just to be sure.
>
> Unfortunately, the issue with Dark Mode in Safari is still here, even
> with Night Shift disabled :-(

Turn on Dark Mode
Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click General, then select one
of the Appearance options at the top of the window:
Light: Use the light appearance.
Dark: Use the dark appearance.
Auto: Automatically use the light appearance during the day, and the
dark appearance at night.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208976

Turn off automatic and use light to avoid switching.

HTH, Joerg

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<jqds9aFlfhsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14995&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14995

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 8 Oct 2022 18:02:18 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 18:02 UTC

On 2022-10-08, David Ritz <dritz@mindspring.com> wrote:
> This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text,

You should fix your broken news client. MIME is not appropriate here.

> Julien,
>
> Have you checked your System Preferences -> Displays -> Night Shift?

Night Shift has nothing to do with this.

JR

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<jqdsjhFlfhsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14996&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14996

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 8 Oct 2022 18:07:46 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 18:07 UTC

On 2022-10-08, Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:
> Hi Jolly Roger,
>
>>> Yet, I made sure that in my System Preferences > General, the
>>> default appearance is "Clear mode".
>>
>> Do you mean "Light Mode"? There is no "Clear Mode".
>
> Yes, I mean "Light Mode", sorry for the wrong term in English. I'm
> using a French localized version in which it is "Mode d'apparence :
> Clair".
>
>>> Do you have any clue about what could be happening? And what should
>>> I check to fix that?
>>
>> It's possible the particular website(s) in question have their own
>> dark mode settings. You didn't mention the specific website though,
>> so we're left guessing.
>
> In fact, it happens on every web site, randomly. Sometimes Amazon is
> in light mode, sometimes in dark mode; same thing for web sites like
> Vinted, Google search engine, GitHub, etc. They almost always are in
> light mode but sometimes they open in dark mode; I close the tab in
> Safari and open another one in which it becomes in light mode.
>
> Very strange, and I do not find any bug report about that (seems like
> it is not a general bug).

Hmm... Does Safari have built-in Dark mode support? I've used the Dark
mode Safari extension for years and wasn't aware Safari had that
functionality built in:

<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dark-mode-for-safari/id1397180934?mt=12>

JR

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<jqdsm3FlfhsU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14997&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14997

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 8 Oct 2022 18:09:08 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 18:09 UTC

On 2022-10-08, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 08.10.22 um 10:47 schrieb Julien ÉLIE:
>> Hi David,

>>> I've just checked: Night Shift is always active (I set it from 03:00
>>> to 02:59) so that I have a continuous blue-light protection. It has
>>> been set like this since several years, without any issue of Dark
>>> Mode, appearing only in Safari by the way (I have tried Firefox in
>>> parallel, which did not show pages in Dark Mode, at least during my
>>> tests).
>>>
>>> I disable it for today, just to be sure.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the issue with Dark Mode in Safari is still here, even
>> with Night Shift disabled :-(
>
> Turn on Dark Mode Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click
> General, then select one of the Appearance options at the top of the
> window: Light: Use the light appearance. Dark: Use the dark
> appearance. Auto: Automatically use the light appearance during the
> day, and the dark appearance at night.
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208976
>
> Turn off automatic and use light to avoid switching.

I don't think that controls website content though - at least I've never
seen it change how websites render on any of my Macs.

JR

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<jqe6tpFmvfoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14998&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14998

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 23:03:53 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 21:03 UTC

Hi Jolly Roger,

> Hmm... Does Safari have built-in Dark mode support? I've used the Dark
> mode Safari extension for years and wasn't aware Safari had that
> functionality built in:
>
> <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dark-mode-for-safari/id1397180934?mt=12>

This extension does more than the built-in Dark mode support according
to its description (5 different themes, easy toggling...) so it is still
worthwhile having.
In my case, I'm not using any extension, and I am facing issues with
latest Safari 16 only (maybe the next version will fix something, I hope
so).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« A program should always respond to the user in the way that astonishes
him least. » (Plauger's Law of Least Astonishment)

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<thu0b6$2l14$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14999&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14999

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 10:21:58 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 08:21 UTC

Am 08.10.22 um 20:09 schrieb Jolly Roger:
> On 2022-10-08, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Turn on Dark Mode Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click
>> General, then select one of the Appearance options at the top of the
>> window: Light: Use the light appearance. Dark: Use the dark
>> appearance. Auto: Automatically use the light appearance during the
>> day, and the dark appearance at night.
>>
>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208976
>>
>> Turn off automatic and use light to avoid switching.
>
> I don't think that controls website content though - at least I've never
> seen it change how websites render on any of my Macs.

I do not have experience with the dark mode. To be honest I hate the
dark mode everywhere and at anytime. I never had this issue neither with
Safari nor with the Mac OS itself.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Random dark mode in Safari

<jrtietF3lfgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15016&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15016

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 22:09:01 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 20:09 UTC

Hi all,

> I installed a few weeks ago last 12.6 version of macOS Monterey, which
> notably ships Safari 16.  Since then, web sites are randomly displayed
> in dark mode.  I do not understand why, neither what triggers their
> suddenly opening in dark mode.

Just to tell you that I'm happy to see that Safari 16.1 fixed that very
annoying bug.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« 21.1.1 How to convert mSQL tools for MySQL?
1. Run the shell script msql2mysql on the source. This requires the
replace program, which is distributed with MySQL.
2. Compile.
3. Fix all compiler errors. » (MySQL online manual)