On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog. -- Cartoon caption

computers / comp.os.vms / Compaq before the HP merger

SubjectAuthor
* Compaq before the HP mergerNeil Rieck
`* Re: Compaq before the HP mergerScott Dorsey
 `* Re: Compaq before the HP mergerNeil Rieck
  +- Re: Compaq before the HP mergerDave Lightman
  `- Re: Compaq before the HP mergerMichael S

1
Compaq before the HP merger

<4d8cfb0b-8354-443b-8714-3ffa9a9e0ae6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15017&group=comp.os.vms#15017

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 05:44:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Compaq before the HP merger
From: n.ri...@sympatico.ca (Neil Rieck)
 by: Neil Rieck - Sun, 23 May 2021 12:44 UTC

Love him or hate him, Elon Musk has change our world. Five years ago I read "Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future" (by Ashlee Vance) who covered Musk's beginnings from Zip2 (which was bought by Compaq before the merger with HP) then PayPal on to Tesla and SpaceX.

I had never heard the name "Zip2" before ( https://www.sitebuilderreport.com/origin-stories/elon-musk ) but wondered why Compaq acquired it for more than 300 million. It made Musk an instant 22-millionare (which he then parlayed into PayPal) but does anyone here now what became of ZIp2 inside Compaq?

Neil Rieck
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
http://neilrieck.net

Re: Compaq before the HP merger

<s8dkvh$ls9$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15019&group=comp.os.vms#15019

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Compaq before the HP merger
Date: 23 May 2021 13:22:57 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 23 May 2021 13:22 UTC

Neil Rieck <n.rieck@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>I had never heard the name "Zip2" before ( https://www.sitebuilderreport.co=
>m/origin-stories/elon-musk ) but wondered why Compaq acquired it for more t=
>han 300 million. It made Musk an instant 22-millionare (which he then parla=
>yed into PayPal) but does anyone here now what became of ZIp2 inside Compaq=
>?

ZIP2 provided an online city guide with a map that was linked to a database
of businesses. It was bought by Compaq in order to integrate it with their
Altavista web site. I assume that it went along with the rest of Altavista
to Yahoo which ruined everything they touched.
--scott

Re: Compaq before the HP merger

<46e098d6-7217-4fba-aabd-6675c9a29f3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15161&group=comp.os.vms#15161

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 10:22:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: n.ri...@sympatico.ca (Neil Rieck)
 by: Neil Rieck - Sat, 29 May 2021 17:22 UTC

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 9:23:00 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Neil Rieck <n.r...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >I had never heard the name "Zip2" before ( https://www.sitebuilderreport..co=
> >m/origin-stories/elon-musk ) but wondered why Compaq acquired it for more t=
> >han 300 million. It made Musk an instant 22-millionare (which he then parla=
> >yed into PayPal) but does anyone here now what became of ZIp2 inside Compaq=
> >?
>
> ZIP2 provided an online city guide with a map that was linked to a database
> of businesses. It was bought by Compaq in order to integrate it with their
> Altavista web site. I assume that it went along with the rest of Altavista
> to Yahoo which ruined everything they touched.
> --scott
>
> --

Back in the day I thought that AltaVista was one of the most useful tools ever. You are correct. If Yahoo had properly developed - then monetized - AltaVista there would have been no Google

food-for-thought: I use stuff every day that Google developed then gave away (AngularJS is one). I also use Python3 every day which Google developed from Python2 after hiring Guido van Rossum. We all use Google Maps and Google Street View. Google also provides the Android OS for any phone manufacturers part the the handset alliance. The world would be a different place without Google (so: "thank the deity for mistakes made by Compaq + Yahoo"?)

Neil Rieck
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
http://neilrieck.net/

Re: Compaq before the HP merger

<275691357@f143.n3.z21.fsxnet>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15164&group=comp.os.vms#15164

From: Dave.Lig...@f143.n3.z21.fsxnet (Dave Lightman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 19:49:57 +1200
 by: Dave Lightman - Sat, 29 May 2021 07:49 UTC

NR> food-for-thought: I use stuff every day that Google developed then gave
NR> away (AngularJS is one). I also use Python3 every day which Google
NR> developed from Python2 after hiring Guido van Rossum. We all use Google
NR> Maps and Google Street View. Google also
NR> provides the Android OS for any phone manufacturers part the the handset
NR> alliance. The world would be a different place without Google (so:

I understand your point... but... just saying... I go to _great_ lengths to
keep google out of my life entirely. Its very difficult, but worth the effort.

Re: Compaq before the HP merger

<717fce3b-4de9-45e9-994d-86f816c9c1a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15437&group=comp.os.vms#15437

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:42:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: already5...@yahoo.com (Michael S)
 by: Michael S - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 19:42 UTC

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 8:22:05 PM UTC+3, Neil Rieck wrote:
> On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 9:23:00 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > Neil Rieck <n.r...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > >I had never heard the name "Zip2" before ( https://www.sitebuilderreport.co=
> > >m/origin-stories/elon-musk ) but wondered why Compaq acquired it for more t=
> > >han 300 million. It made Musk an instant 22-millionare (which he then parla=
> > >yed into PayPal) but does anyone here now what became of ZIp2 inside Compaq=
> > >?
> >
> > ZIP2 provided an online city guide with a map that was linked to a database
> > of businesses. It was bought by Compaq in order to integrate it with their
> > Altavista web site. I assume that it went along with the rest of Altavista
> > to Yahoo which ruined everything they touched.
> > --scott
> >
> > --
> > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
> Back in the day I thought that AltaVista was one of the most useful tools ever. You are correct. If Yahoo had properly developed - then monetized - AltaVista there would have been no Google

Yahoo purchased [a dead corps of] AltaVista in 2003. By that time Google was already a juggernaut. When they went public next year their market cap was estimated as 23B USD.