The sum of the Universe is zero.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 mod!

SubjectAuthor
* Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 mod!rms
+* Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games withJustisaur
|+* Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games withRoss Ridge
||`* Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games withWerner P.
|| `- Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games withJustisaur
|`- Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games withWerner P.
`- Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 moSpalls Hurgenson

1
Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 mod!

<ulsm3u$56hd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15023&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15023

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 mod!
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:06:53 -0700
 by: rms - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 18:06 UTC

New AMD FSR3 mod looks to make demanding games very playable even on lower
end cards!

https://videocardz.com/newz/mods-can-now-replace-dlss-frame-generation-with-fsr3-for-nvidia-rtx-20-30-gpus-in-multiple-games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibGw5PuG4Xc
https://github.com/Nukem9/dlssg-to-fsr3/releases

rms

Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 mod!

<ulsmp1$54ec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15024&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15024

From: justis...@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with
simple FSR3 mod!
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 10:18:09 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 18:18 UTC

On 12/19/2023 10:06 AM, rms wrote:
> New AMD FSR3 mod looks to make demanding games very playable even on
> lower end cards!
>
> https://videocardz.com/newz/mods-can-now-replace-dlss-frame-generation-with-fsr3-for-nvidia-rtx-20-30-gpus-in-multiple-games
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibGw5PuG4Xc
> https://github.com/Nukem9/dlssg-to-fsr3/releases
>
> rms

I read the first link and it seems very confusing, as it seems to say
it's only for AMD cards, but then the first example says you have to
have an Nvidia card.

As I'm interested in playing CyberPunk'77 again and it seems to work to
about double frame rates, I'll look into it if I remember when I return
to it. I haven't noticed any real issues with frame-rates except when
driving fast in the city.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 mod!

<ult1vq$74bh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15030&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15030

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
simple FSR3 mod!
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 21:29:30 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
 by: Ross Ridge - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 21:29 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I read the first link and it seems very confusing, as it seems to say
>it's only for AMD cards, but then the first example says you have to
>have an Nvidia card.

Nvidia's DLSS technologies require an Nvidia card, and a recent one
at that. AMD FSR technologies work on AMD, Nvidia and Intel cards.

From what I've heard though frame generation seems to be a bit gimicky.
It adds lag so it's not ideal in twitchy action games, but those are the
games that most need high frame rates, in order to reduce input lag.
For an RPG that you're getting 30 FPS without frame generation things
will look smoother, but won't necessarily feel smoother because the game
world is still really updating at 30 FPS.

Note that only DLSS 3.0 and FSR 3.0 support frame generation. Earlier
versions only support frame upscaling.

>As I'm interested in playing CyberPunk'77 again and it seems to work to
>about double frame rates, I'll look into it if I remember when I return
>to it. I haven't noticed any real issues with frame-rates except when
>driving fast in the city.

DLSS 3.5 adds raytracing enhancements which are pretty much required
to play Cyberpunk 2077 with raytracing enabled to get acceptable frame
rates and quality.
--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 mod!

<uluar6$gb3f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15033&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15033

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
simple FSR3 mod!
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 10:06:46 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:06 UTC

Am 19.12.23 um 19:18 schrieb Justisaur:
> I read the first link and it seems very confusing, as it seems to say
> it's only for AMD cards, but then the first example says you have to
> have an Nvidia card.
FSR3 works on all cards, it does not use AI (for now) they still can get
around the issue with pure mathematics.
The downside is, NVidia always is slightly ahead with their stuff, but
hey it works on cards which NVidia does not support with their stuff
anymore or at all!

Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 mod!

<uluauo$gb3f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15034&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15034

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
simple FSR3 mod!
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 10:08:40 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:08 UTC

Am 19.12.23 um 22:29 schrieb Ross Ridge:
> For an RPG that you're getting 30 FPS without frame generation things
> will look smoother, but won't necessarily feel smoother because the game
> world is still really updating at 30 FPS.
Yes absolutely perfect for games where you can live with a slightly
higher input lag, it really depends on the frames inserter how much you
lose.
Perfect candidate for this tech for instance is baldurs gate 3!

Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 mod!

<ulv0sd$joe3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15039&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15039

From: justis...@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
simple FSR3 mod!
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 07:22:53 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:22 UTC

On 12/20/2023 1:08 AM, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 19.12.23 um 22:29 schrieb Ross Ridge:
>> For an RPG that you're getting 30 FPS without frame generation things
>> will look smoother, but won't necessarily feel smoother because the game
>> world is still really updating at 30 FPS.
> Yes absolutely perfect for games where you can live with a slightly
> higher input lag, it really depends on the frames inserter how much you
> lose.
> Perfect candidate for this tech for instance is baldurs gate 3!

BG3... yeah, that game is extremely hard on my system and starts slowing
down in some of the bigger fights. They did release a patch not too
long ago that supposedly about doubles it's performance. I'm still
waiting for the patching to slow down and see if they fix or at least
improve the issues I was having, or Mods appear that do it.

I was tempted to try my hand at modding for the game, but there isn't a
point yet as each patch seems to break the ones similar to what I was
looking for. Also the same for Cyberpunk '77. Funny that both games
have greatly improved frame rates with this tech.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Double framerates in Cyberpunk and other demanding games with simple FSR3 mod!

<4126oi5rnpjn6205ktgcj0dhpe7vo81056@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15040&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15040

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 10:32:05 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:32 UTC

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:06:53 -0700, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>New AMD FSR3 mod looks to make demanding games very playable even on lower
>end cards!
>
>https://videocardz.com/newz/mods-can-now-replace-dlss-frame-generation-with-fsr3-for-nvidia-rtx-20-30-gpus-in-multiple-games
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibGw5PuG4Xc
>https://github.com/Nukem9/dlssg-to-fsr3/releases

But if I use software to improve my framerate, what excuse will I have
to buy the next generation of GPU?

I need my new hardware!!!!!! ;-)

More seriously, this is neat tech but not one I'd rely on except in
extreme cases. Between compatibility issues, the almost certain
additional lag created by having to generate these extra frames, and
potential visual glitches caused by software interpretations, I'd much
rather just buy a better GPU.

YMMV.