From: NP2...@somewhere.invalid (NP2)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: AppImage Hell
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:09:51 +0200
 by: NP2 - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 19:09 UTC

I have a program (.deb) that still runs fine on Mint 18, but not on
later versions because of dependency hell. No way to get it to run in
Mint 19 or 20, so I decided to make an AppImage of it in Mint 18 and
then use that in Mint 20. No more dependency hell...

I didn't know anything about AppImages yet, so I followed a YT video and
as a first excercise I tried to create a very simple AppImage for
gnome-calculator. Created it succesfully with appimagetool in Mint 18,
but of course the resulting AppImage won't run at all in Mint 20 (yes, I
gave it permission to be executable). I looked up the dependencies for
gnome-calculator online, but these go on and on and on... dependency A
has a required dependency B which has another required dependency C
etc... etc...

How on earth do I add all these dependencies? Do I painstakingly add
them one by one until they are all there, or is there an easier way?

Back to Youtube I guess... but meanwhile any tips are welcome.

Re: AppImage Hell

<sa6naq$1a7i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1507&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1507

From: no-em...@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: AppImage Hell
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 07:52:42 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 04:52 UTC

NP2 wrote:
> I have a program (.deb) that still runs fine on Mint 18, but not on
> later versions because of dependency hell. No way to get it to run in
> Mint 19 or 20, so I decided to make an AppImage of it in Mint 18 and
> then use that in Mint 20. No more dependency hell...
>
> I didn't know anything about AppImages yet, so I followed a YT video and
> as a first excercise I tried to create a very simple AppImage for
> gnome-calculator. Created it succesfully with appimagetool in Mint 18,
> but of course the resulting AppImage won't run at all in Mint 20 (yes, I
> gave it permission to be executable). I looked up the dependencies for
> gnome-calculator online, but these go on and on and on... dependency A
> has a required dependency B which has another required dependency C
> etc... etc...
>
> How on earth do I add all these dependencies? Do I painstakingly add
> them one by one until they are all there, or is there an easier way?
>
> Back to Youtube I guess... but meanwhile any tips are welcome.

How do I recursively list dependencies of a package that need to be
installed? - Ask Ubuntu

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1286433/how-do-i-recursively-list-dependencies-of-a-package-that-need-to-be-installed

and "Linked" articles.