win-nt from the people who invented edlin. -- MaDsen Wikholm, mwikholm@at8.abo.fi

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

SubjectAuthor
* Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permissionNewsKrawler
`* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJoerg Lorenz
 `* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permissiongtr
  `* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJoerg Lorenz
   +* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permissionnospam
   |`* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJoerg Lorenz
   | +* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourAlan
   | |`* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permissionYour Name
   | | `- Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJoerg Lorenz
   | `* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permissionnospam
   |  `* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJoerg Lorenz
   |   +- Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourAlan
   |   `- Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJolly Roger
   +- Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourAlan
   +* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJolly Roger
   |`* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJoerg Lorenz
   | +- Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permissionnospam
   | +- Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourRocketSurgeon
   | +- Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJolly Roger
   | `* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJoerg Lorenz
   |  +- Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourJolly Roger
   |  `- Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without yourAlan
   `* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permissiongtr
    `* Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permissionYour Name
     `- Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permissiongtr

1
Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tjlabk$1fh9u$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15044&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15044

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 07:50:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 07:50 UTC

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/developer-finds-apple-bluetooth-security-flaw-worth-7000/
Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

Apple has patched a security flaw that left macOS and iOS devices
vulnerable to having interactions with Siri spied upon and recorded when
using accessories such as AirPods or Beats headsets via Bluetooth.

The flaw, which is now referred to as vulnerability CVE-2022-32946, was
discovered by app developer Guilherme Rambo, according to Apple Insider.

The flaw was associated with Mac and iPhone or iPad products and had the
opportunity for users to have their audio accessories hacked when using
apps associated with audio due to the "app needing microphone access or
showing that it was using the microphone," Apple Insider said.

According to Rambo, he realized something was off when he experienced dips
in audio quality while using Siri with AirPods on but not when using the
microphone in this macOS device. However, the change in audio quality
returned when he was in a video conference.

This isn't Apple's first run with Bluetooth issues on its devices.

In March, the brand released an update for its macOS Monterey 12.3.1 to
address Bluetooth and display issues that have been plaguing Mac owners for
several weeks. In particular, the update was sent to fix a power management
flaw with Bluetooth headphones.

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tjlgcv$79h9$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15045&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15045

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your
permission
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 10:33:19 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 09:33 UTC

Am 30.10.22 um 08:50 schrieb NewsKrawler:
> https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/developer-finds-apple-bluetooth-security-flaw-worth-7000/
> Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

Isn't SIRI a bitch anyway?
I do not feel sorry for those using such crap anyway. Not only SIRI.
Google, Alexas and the like anyway.

Privacy and security is down the drain in all cases and under all
circumstances.

*SCNR*

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tjskkd$vsh5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15047&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15047

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 02:28:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 02:28 UTC

On Oct 30, 2022 at 2:33:19 AM PDT, "Joerg Lorenz" <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Am 30.10.22 um 08:50 schrieb NewsKrawler:
>> https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/developer-finds-apple-bluetooth-security-flaw-worth-7000/
>> Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission
>
> Isn't SIRI a bitch anyway?
> I do not feel sorry for those using such crap anyway. Not only SIRI.
> Google, Alexas and the like anyway.
>
> Privacy and security is down the drain in all cases and under all
> circumstances.
>
> *SCNR*

SIRI is as much a bitch as your cell phone, ipad, thermometer or remote
control. It's just a device.

I find myself using it on and off all day: Turning lights off and on, playing
music playlists for my favorite CD's, asking quick questions regarding a
writer's dates of birth and death, getting the weather report and all other
manner of information--without going to my computer and tap-tap-taping.

I feel sorry for all the people that use devices for the utility they were
invented and saving time in the process. Oh the horror!

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tjt109$acuk$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15048&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15048

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 06:59:36 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 05:59 UTC

Am 02.11.22 um 03:28 schrieb gtr:
> On Oct 30, 2022 at 2:33:19 AM PDT, "Joerg Lorenz" <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>> Am 30.10.22 um 08:50 schrieb NewsKrawler:
>>> https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/developer-finds-apple-bluetooth-security-flaw-worth-7000/
>>> Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission
>>
>> Isn't SIRI a bitch anyway?
>> I do not feel sorry for those using such crap anyway. Not only SIRI.
>> Google, Alexas and the like anyway.
>>
>> Privacy and security is down the drain in all cases and under all
>> circumstances.
>>
>> *SCNR*
>
> SIRI is as much a bitch as your cell phone, ipad, thermometer or remote
> control. It's just a device.
>
> I find myself using it on and off all day: Turning lights off and on, playing
> music playlists for my favorite CD's, asking quick questions regarding a
> writer's dates of birth and death, getting the weather report and all other
> manner of information--without going to my computer and tap-tap-taping.
>
> I feel sorry for all the people that use devices for the utility they were
> invented and saving time in the process. Oh the horror!

*Your* choice in case your feel comfortable to be 100% *transparent* to
your providers.

Are you aware that everything you are communicating to SIRI is
transmitted to Apple, is stored on servers and can traced back to you
for infinity? Including the unique finger print of your voice?

You are giving away all your most private data without getting anything
meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face recognition.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<021120220706000570%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15049&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15049

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 07:06:00 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 11:06 UTC

In article <tjt109$acuk$1@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> Are you aware that everything you are communicating to SIRI is
> transmitted to Apple, is stored on servers and can traced back to you
> for infinity? Including the unique finger print of your voice?

that is very much false.

> You are giving away all your most private data without getting anything
> meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face recognition.

face recognition is done on the device and in some cases, siri is also
done on the device.

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tju514$170c3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15050&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15050

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 09:14:28 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 16:14 UTC

On 2022-11-01 22:59, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 02.11.22 um 03:28 schrieb gtr:

>>> Isn't SIRI a bitch anyway?
>>> I do not feel sorry for those using such crap anyway. Not only SIRI.
>>> Google, Alexas and the like anyway.
>>>
>>> Privacy and security is down the drain in all cases and under all
>>> circumstances.
>>>
>>> *SCNR*
>>
>> SIRI is as much a bitch as your cell phone, ipad, thermometer or remote
>> control. It's just a device.
>>
>> I find myself using it on and off all day: Turning lights off and on, playing
>> music playlists for my favorite CD's, asking quick questions regarding a
>> writer's dates of birth and death, getting the weather report and all other
>> manner of information--without going to my computer and tap-tap-taping.
>>
>> I feel sorry for all the people that use devices for the utility they were
>> invented and saving time in the process. Oh the horror!
>
> *Your* choice in case your feel comfortable to be 100% *transparent* to
> your providers.
>
> Are you aware that everything you are communicating to SIRI is
> transmitted to Apple, is stored on servers and can traced back to you
> for infinity? Including the unique finger print of your voice?

Are you aware that you have to provide some support for those claims?

> You are giving away all your most private data without getting anything
> meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face recognition.

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<jsfl1vFsr2eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15051&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15051

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: 2 Nov 2022 16:43:44 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 16:43 UTC

On 2022-11-02, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 02.11.22 um 03:28 schrieb gtr:
>>>
>>> Isn't SIRI a bitch anyway?
>>> I do not feel sorry for those using such crap anyway. Not only SIRI.
>>> Google, Alexas and the like anyway.
>>>
>>> Privacy and security is down the drain in all cases and under all
>>> circumstances.
>>>
>>> *SCNR*
>>
>> SIRI is as much a bitch as your cell phone, ipad, thermometer or remote
>> control. It's just a device.
>>
>> I find myself using it on and off all day: Turning lights off and on, playing
>> music playlists for my favorite CD's, asking quick questions regarding a
>> writer's dates of birth and death, getting the weather report and all other
>> manner of information--without going to my computer and tap-tap-taping.
>>
>> I feel sorry for all the people that use devices for the utility they were
>> invented and saving time in the process. Oh the horror!
>
> *Your* choice in case your feel comfortable to be 100% *transparent* to
> your providers.
>
> Are you aware that everything you are communicating to SIRI is
> transmitted to Apple, is stored on servers and can traced back to you
> for infinity? Including the unique finger print of your voice?

Joerg Lorenz is lying of course™. Here's the truth:

Hey Siri is an optional feature that is enabled by an opt-in step in
Apple device setup. You can choose never to enable it. If you do enable
it, nothing is ever recorded in any way before the feature is triggered.

In no case is the device recording what the user says or sending that
information to Apple before the feature is triggered. Instead, audio
from the microphone is continuously compared against the model, or
pattern, of your personal way of saying ‘Hey Siri’ that you recorded
during setup of the feature. Hey Siri requires a match to both the
‘general’ Hey Siri model (how your iPhone thinks the words sound) and
the ‘personalized’ model of how you say it. This is to prevent other
people’s voices from triggering your phone’s Hey Siri feature by
accident. Until that match happens, no audio is ever sent off of your
iPhone. All of that listening and processing happens locally.

The "listening" audio, which will be continuously overwritten, will be
used to improve Siri’s response time in instances where the user
activates Siri. Until you activate it, the patterns are matched locally,
and the buffer of sound being monitored (from what I understand, just a
few seconds) is being erased, unsent and unused — and unable to be
retrieved at any point in the future.

Once a match is made and a Siri command is sent off to Apple, it’s
associated with your device using a *random identifier*, not your Apple
ID or another personalized piece of info. If you have Settings > Privacy
& Security > Analytics & Improvements > Improve Siri & Dictation
enabled, that information is then approved for use in improving the
service. If a user chooses to turn off Siri, Apple deletes all of the
data associated with the user’s Siri identifier, and the learning
process will start all over again the next time the user enabled Siri.

> You are giving away all your most private data without getting
> anything meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face
> recognition.

Another lie. Both are highly secure and very private on Apple devices.

JR

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tjuu90$baft$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15052&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15052

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 00:25:20 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 23:25 UTC

Am 02.11.22 um 12:06 schrieb nospam:
> In article <tjt109$acuk$1@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
> wrote:
>
>> Are you aware that everything you are communicating to SIRI is
>> transmitted to Apple, is stored on servers and can traced back to you
>> for infinity? Including the unique finger print of your voice?
>
> that is very much false.

That is 100% correct. Otherwise these dangerous Services could not learn
and "improve".

>> You are giving away all your most private data without getting anything
>> meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face recognition.
>
> face recognition is done on the device and in some cases, siri is also
> done on the device.

I'm talking about very different things.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tjuuh5$191cb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15053&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15053

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 16:29:41 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 23:29 UTC

On 2022-11-02 16:25, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 02.11.22 um 12:06 schrieb nospam:
>> In article <tjt109$acuk$1@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you aware that everything you are communicating to SIRI is
>>> transmitted to Apple, is stored on servers and can traced back to you
>>> for infinity? Including the unique finger print of your voice?
>>
>> that is very much false.
>
> That is 100% correct. Otherwise these dangerous Services could not learn
> and "improve".

Really?

So the "for infinity" part is "100% correct"?

You're sure about that?

You can't learn from a recording...

....and then just delete it when you're done learning from it?

>>> You are giving away all your most private data without getting anything
>>> meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face recognition.
>>
>> face recognition is done on the device and in some cases, siri is also
>> done on the device.
>
> I'm talking about very different things.

Voice recognition is done on the device.

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<021120222023351163%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15054&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15054

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 20:23:35 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 00:23 UTC

In article <tjuu90$baft$1@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> >> Are you aware that everything you are communicating to SIRI is
> >> transmitted to Apple, is stored on servers and can traced back to you
> >> for infinity? Including the unique finger print of your voice?
> >
> > that is very much false.
>
> That is 100% correct. Otherwise these dangerous Services could not learn
> and "improve".

siri's learning is done on device and anonymously on apple's servers.

> >> You are giving away all your most private data without getting anything
> >> meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face recognition.
> >
> > face recognition is done on the device and in some cases, siri is also
> > done on the device.
>
> I'm talking about very different things.

yep, you're talking shit and the rest of us are not.

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tjvjir$1gki$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15055&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15055

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 18:28:59 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 05:28 UTC

On 2022-11-02 23:29:41 +0000, Alan said:
> On 2022-11-02 16:25, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 02.11.22 um 12:06 schrieb nospam:

>>> that is very much false.
>>
>> That is 100% correct. Otherwise these dangerous Services could not learn
>> and "improve".
>
> Really?
>
> So the "for infinity" part is "100% correct"?
>
> You're sure about that?
>
> You can't learn from a recording...
>
> ...and then just delete it when you're done learning from it?

Google's assistant would be the one to worry about keeping everything
forever, and then spamming you with adverts for something your asked
about 20 years ago!

Mind you, it could be even worse ... nutter Elon Musk could buy Google! :-(

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tk00kb$bpvn$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15056&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15056

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 10:11:39 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 09:11 UTC

Am 03.11.22 um 01:23 schrieb nospam:

>>> that is very much false.
>>
>> That is 100% correct. Otherwise these dangerous Services could not learn
>> and "improve".
>
> siri's learning is done on device and anonymously on apple's servers.

You are a naive fanboy and really amusing everybody in this thread.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tk07r9$btfh$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15057&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15057

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 12:14:48 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 11:14 UTC

Am 03.11.22 um 06:28 schrieb Your Name:
> Google's assistant would be the one to worry about keeping everything
> forever, and then spamming you with adverts for something your asked
> about 20 years ago!
>
> Mind you, it could be even worse ... nutter Elon Musk could buy Google! :-(

I hope he will and destroys it as quickly as he does his own $ 44 bln at
Twitter. I'm following this descent online. It is breathtaking.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tk07uu$btfh$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15058&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15058

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 12:16:46 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 11:16 UTC

Am 02.11.22 um 17:43 schrieb Jolly Roger:
> On 2022-11-02, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> You are giving away all your most private data without getting
>> anything meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face
>> recognition.
>
> Another lie. Both are highly secure and very private on Apple devices.

*ROTFLSTC*

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<031120220753508922%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15059&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15059

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 07:53:50 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 11:53 UTC

In article <tk07uu$btfh$2@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> >> You are giving away all your most private data without getting
> >> anything meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face
> >> recognition.
> >
> > Another lie. Both are highly secure and very private on Apple devices.
>
> *ROTFLSTC*

go read apple's security white paper and learn something for a change.

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tk0i8d$1flvm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15060&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15060

From: 48forw...@gmail.com (RocketSurgeon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 07:12:29 -0700
 by: RocketSurgeon - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 14:12 UTC

On 11/3/22 4:16 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 02.11.22 um 17:43 schrieb Jolly Roger:
>> On 2022-11-02, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>>> You are giving away all your most private data without getting
>>> anything meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face
>>> recognition.
>>
>> Another lie. Both are highly secure and very private on Apple devices.
>
> *ROTFLSTC*

What an intelligent and comprehensive reply!

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tk0n5c$1g43v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15061&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15061

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 08:36:12 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 15:36 UTC

On 2022-11-03 02:11, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 03.11.22 um 01:23 schrieb nospam:

>>> That is 100% correct. Otherwise these dangerous Services could not learn
>>> and "improve".
>>
>> siri's learning is done on device and anonymously on apple's servers.
>
> You are a naive fanboy and really amusing everybody in this thread.

And how is it that he's right and you're wrong then?

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<jsi5q2Fa9akU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15062&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15062

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: 3 Nov 2022 15:41:54 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 15:41 UTC

On 2022-11-03, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 03.11.22 um 01:23 schrieb nospam:

>>> That is 100% correct. Otherwise these dangerous Services could not
>>> learn and "improve".
>>
>> siri's learning is done on device and anonymously on apple's servers.
>
> You are a naive fanboy and really amusing everybody in this thread.

You are a troll resorting to ad hominem because you can't back up your
false assertions.

JR

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<jsi5rhFa9akU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15063&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15063

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: 3 Nov 2022 15:42:41 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 15:42 UTC

On 2022-11-03, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 02.11.22 um 17:43 schrieb Jolly Roger:
>> On 2022-11-02, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>>> You are giving away all your most private data without getting
>>> anything meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as
>>> face recognition.
>>
>> Another lie. Both are highly secure and very private on Apple
>> devices.
>
> *ROTFLSTC*

The fact that this is your response says way more about you than anyone
else in this discussion.

JR

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tk31q1$d87c$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15064&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15064

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 13:50:09 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 12:50 UTC

Am 03.11.22 um 12:16 schrieb Joerg Lorenz:
> Am 02.11.22 um 17:43 schrieb Jolly Roger:
>> On 2022-11-02, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>>> You are giving away all your most private data without getting
>>> anything meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face
>>> recognition.
>>
>> Another lie. Both are highly secure and very private on Apple devices.
>
> *ROTFLSTC*

SIRI like all other voice recognition systems is not secure.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2019/07/28/apple-siri-eavesdropping-puts-millions-of-users-at-risk/

Uncle Xi and Papa Joe are really happy. *SCNR*

I will never trust security or privacy promises from American, British
or Chinese companies. Only naive kids do.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<jsknt1Fm4a0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15065&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15065

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: 4 Nov 2022 15:02:57 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:02 UTC

On 2022-11-04, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 03.11.22 um 12:16 schrieb Joerg Lorenz:
>>>
>>> Another lie. Both are highly secure and very private on Apple devices.
>>
>> *ROTFLSTC*
>
> SIRI like all other voice recognition systems is not secure.
>
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2019/07/28/apple-siri-eavesdropping-puts-millions-of-users-at-risk/

The fact that you had to scurry all the way back to 2019 for this one
isn't lost on anyone here. Not only is it old news, but it's also a
matter of record that Apple reacted by immediately *pausing* the speech
recognition review program and updating devices to *ask* users whether
they want Apple to use Siri command audio clips to improve the service
during setup which made it an *opt-in* setting - and this was all back
in 2019. Apple also announced in 2021 at WWDC that new versions of
Apple's operating systems would process speech recognition on-device
enabling many requests to be processed without an internet connection,
such as launching apps, setting timers and alarms, changing settings, or
controlling music. But you being you, you *definitely* don't want to
bother saying any of this in your weak little jab, because: troll. ; )

> Uncle Xi and Papa Joe are really happy. *SCNR*

It's no surprise politics drive your every move. *SCNR*

JR

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tk3clu$1sc08$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15066&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15066

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
permission
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:55:42 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:55 UTC

On 2022-11-04 05:50, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 03.11.22 um 12:16 schrieb Joerg Lorenz:
>>>
>>> Another lie. Both are highly secure and very private on Apple devices.
>>
>> *ROTFLSTC*
>
> SIRI like all other voice recognition systems is not secure.
>
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2019/07/28/apple-siri-eavesdropping-puts-millions-of-users-at-risk/

"This article is more than 3 years old"

> Uncle Xi and Papa Joe are really happy. *SCNR*

"Apple said it does not store the data with Apple ID numbers or names
which could identify the person. The firm told The Guardian: “A small
portion of Siri requests are analyzed to improve Siri and dictation.
User requests are not associated with the user’s Apple ID. "

> I will never trust security or privacy promises from American, British
> or Chinese companies. Only naive kids do.

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tk4emu$24huu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15072&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15072

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 01:36:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 01:36 UTC

On Nov 1, 2022 at 10:59:36 PM PDT, "Joerg Lorenz" <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Am 02.11.22 um 03:28 schrieb gtr:

>>> Isn't SIRI a bitch anyway?
>>> I do not feel sorry for those using such crap anyway. Not only SIRI.
>>> Google, Alexas and the like anyway.
>>>
>>> Privacy and security is down the drain in all cases and under all
>>> circumstances.
>>>
>>> *SCNR*
>>
>> SIRI is as much a bitch as your cell phone, ipad, thermometer or remote
>> control. It's just a device.
>>
>> I find myself using it on and off all day: Turning lights off and on, playing
>> music playlists for my favorite CD's, asking quick questions regarding a
>> writer's dates of birth and death, getting the weather report and all other
>> manner of information--without going to my computer and tap-tap-taping.
>>
>> I feel sorry for all the people that use devices for the utility they were
>> invented and saving time in the process. Oh the horror!
>
> *Your* choice in case your feel comfortable to be 100% *transparent* to
> your providers.
>
> Are you aware that everything you are communicating to SIRI is
> transmitted to Apple, is stored on servers and can traced back to you
> for infinity? Including the unique finger print of your voice?
>
> You are giving away all your most private data without getting anything
> meaningful in return. And voice recognition is as bad as face recognition.

Yes and could not care less. Everything I communicate to SIRI is wholly
irrelevant to me and is not my "most private data". I don't believe that Apple
is or will be directly using it for any malevolent activity. If some how James
Bond villains hack their way into Apple's SIRI database of me turning on or
off my lights or music, I won't give a shit.

But, while we're on tangentially on the topic, if Apple doesn't not keep that
data safe, with at least as much integrity as my social security information
or banking information, I will pissed.

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tk4v6m$1bag$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15073&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15073

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 19:17:58 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 06:17 UTC

On 2022-11-05 01:36:31 +0000, gtr said:
<snip>
> If some how James Bond villains hack their way into Apple's SIRI
> database of me turning on or off my lights or music, I won't give a
> shit.

You would care if they hack their way into the voice assistants'
database of you to grab voice prints, etc. which they can then use to
create a computer generated voice to break into anything that uses
youre voice (for example, some banks use it for their phone banking
security systems).

BUT the reality is that Apple doesn't even get sent nor store anything
that is personally recognisable or usable as "you" ... not for Siri,
not for Face ID, not for Voice recognistion, not for fingerprint
recognition, etc.

Re: Your Siri conversations may have been recorded without your permission

<tk7hof$2va4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15074&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15074

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 05:46:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 05:46 UTC

On Nov 4, 2022 at 11:17:58 PM PDT, "Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> On 2022-11-05 01:36:31 +0000, gtr said:
> <snip>
>> If some how James Bond villains hack their way into Apple's SIRI
>> database of me turning on or off my lights or music, I won't give a
>> shit.
>
> You would care if they hack their way into the voice assistants'
> database of you to grab voice prints, etc. which they can then use to
> create a computer generated voice to break into anything that uses
> youre voice (for example, some banks use it for their phone banking
> security systems).

I have no systems that are voice activated/accessed, so I still don't care
about sci-fi boogymen from the future coming to steal my lunch money.

> BUT the reality is that Apple doesn't even get sent nor store anything
> that is personally recognisable or usable as "you" ... not for Siri,
> not for Face ID, not for Voice recognistion, not for fingerprint
> recognition, etc.

When this becomes a potential for crime against me personally I'll know about
it from breathless and uninformed news reports, and lazily go about changing
habits, as before.