From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: 2 iPhone's iOS v16.1.1 ?s with its SOS status icon & Photos' albums.
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 01:12:49 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 01:12 UTC

Ant wrote:

>>> Also, is there a way to password protect specific albums (not the
>>> default hidden album)?
>
>> only with a third party app.
>
> Thank you for the quick answers.

Hi Ant,

This free FOSS third-party app creates an encrypted container which you can
then put any files or directories into (the type of file doesn't matter).
Veracrypt <https://veracrypt.eu/en/Downloads.html>
Windows, macOS, Linux, FreeBSD & RasberryPi

Most people I know who use it generally maintain a few encrypted containers
on each platform, where they store personal information such as tax records
or medical records or, depending on your level of security, photos & docs.

On Windows, for example, the encrypted container becomes a simple disk
drive, which you can have automatically "eject" after x minutes of non use.

The advantage of container encryption is there is never a need for storing
your data onto the Internet, and no need for a phone pin or password or to
store face data or any other data on a phone just to be able to use it.
*Which slum do you live in where you feel you NEED a Face-ID gimmick?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/LfcV3fpA45Q/m/eFfN02qkAgAJ>

Here is VeraCrypt page for equivalent container software on mobile devices.
<https://veracrypt.eu/en/Android%20%26%20iOS%20Support.html>

*Android*
EDS <http://sovworks.com/eds/>

*iOS*
Disk Decipher: <http://disk-decipher.hekkihek.nl/>
Crypto Disks: <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crypto-disks-store-private/id889549308>

As you're well aware, I check all links before I post them, where
I'm not sure why the Disk Decipher link above comes up blank for me.

A search on the Apple iOS App Store shows apps of the same name apparently.
<https://apps.apple.com/az/app/disk-decipher/id516538625>
But I don't know if they're the same app recommended by Veracrypt.
<https://disk-decipher.app/>
The Android app is free while the iOS apps are not free.
This is unfortunate as you then need to protect your privacy when you
purchase the iOS apps (which isn't needed on any other platform).

Worse, as you're likely aware, Apple has been sued for tracking an immense
amount of your usage data because you are forced to use their mothership
account to obtain apps (which no other mobile platform requires but Apple).
*apple sued for deceitful privacy settings* by badgolferman
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/-hMMpRS2saA>

Nonetheless, the use model people I know who never put their personal data
on the Internet is to store sensitive data in an encrypted file container.

That sensitive data is then available to you on your mobile device without
the onus of the FaceID gimmicks and other onerous whole-phone protection
schemes (which, I would agree you need if you do indeed live in the slums).
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to provide Ant encrypted file container software.

Re: 2 iPhone's iOS v16.1.1 ?s with its SOS status icon & Photos' albums.

<SHudnQ4Ug4Kp2u3-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15096&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15096

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 01:24:04 +0000
 by: Ant - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 01:24 UTC

In misc.phone.mobile.iphone Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> >> only with a third party app.
> >
> > Thank you for the quick answers.

> Hi Ant,

> This free FOSS third-party app creates an encrypted container which you can
> then put any files or directories into (the type of file doesn't matter).
> Veracrypt <https://veracrypt.eu/en/Downloads.html>
> Windows, macOS, Linux, FreeBSD & RasberryPi

Thanks. I already use those in my computers.

> Here is VeraCrypt page for equivalent container software on mobile devices.
> <https://veracrypt.eu/en/Android%20%26%20iOS%20Support.html>

> *Android*
> EDS <http://sovworks.com/eds/>

> *iOS*
> Disk Decipher: <http://disk-decipher.hekkihek.nl/>

It doesn't connect from 2 different ISPs.

> Crypto Disks: <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crypto-disks-store-private/id889549308>

Not free and not high ratings.

> As you're well aware, I check all links before I post them, where
> I'm not sure why the Disk Decipher link above comes up blank for me.

I think that server is gone or something. hekkihek.nl doesn't even connect.
"Since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding." --Colossians 1:9. Yesterday's mawny outing was crazy this mawny. Another reason to avoid the crowds. Finally updated to iOS v16(.1.1), but passed out during it after 10 PM. :(
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: 2 iPhone's iOS v16.1.1 ?s with its SOS status icon & Photos' albums.

<tkpkvb$a1p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15097&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15097

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 02:32:23 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 02:32 UTC

Ant wrote:

>> This free FOSS third-party app creates an encrypted container which you can
>> then put any files or directories into (the type of file doesn't matter).
>> Veracrypt <https://veracrypt.eu/en/Downloads.html>
>> Windows, macOS, Linux, FreeBSD & RasberryPi
>
> Thanks. I already use those in my computers.

Hi Ant,
Great. It's nice when people can help each other and communicate here.

A thoughtfully heart-felt mutually beneficial conversation is possible
when people discuss the merits of their options when sharing files among
whatever common consumer computing platforms they use at home.

Personally, I find encrypted containers highly efficient because I don't
use passwords or other whole-device encryption on any of my computers.

It's great that you're well aware of the feature on the desktop OS's.

> It doesn't connect from 2 different ISPs.

Thanks for checking that, as I use full-time VPN and web proxies, so I
wasn't sure why I couldn't get to the iOS version recommended by EDS.

>> Crypto Disks: <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crypto-disks-store-private/id889549308>
>
> Not free and not high ratings.

The ratings are a bummer, but I would caution you anyway by saying I don't
think the free version of EDS is all that great either. I don't know if the
payware version is any better though - so it may just be the app itself.

That's too bad though if encrypted container apps are lousy on the mobile
devices because, by way of stark contrast, they work wonderfully on
desktops (as you seem to be well aware) whether macOS, Linux or Win10.

On Windows, for example, I tap a shortcut and enter the password, and
voila, disk drive X: and Y: and Z: suddenly open up before my eyes.

I slide stuff into them as needed (medical, financial, personal), and I
slide stuff out of them as needed, and they eject themselves automatically
after a set time of inactivity (or I can manually eject them at will).

I even have a killswitch of sorts, that ejects them en masse, which is part
of a larger killswitch that kills all running software and networks, in
case of a virus or ransomware warning (which hasn't needed to be run, yet).
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware/c/5yMnlyud-Fo/m/FIvbqfL9AQAJ>
This shortcut will mount more than one and open them up for convenience:
TARGET = %comspec% /c VeraCrypt.exe /volume file1.ext /letter M /auto /quit /explore & VeraCrypt.exe /volume file2.ext /letter N /auto /quit /explore
And this shortcut will dismount all mounted encrypted containers:
TARGET = VeraCrypt.exe /dismount /force

You need to use a Windows trick to pin such shortcuts to the taskbar.
<https://i.postimg.cc/g2yNftw0/scrcpy15.jpg> Trick to pin batch shortcut

>> As you're well aware, I check all links before I post them, where
>> I'm not sure why the Disk Decipher link above comes up blank for me.
>
> I think that server is gone or something. hekkihek.nl doesn't even connect.

Thanks for checking out that hekkihek.nl link, where I just dived a bit
deeper and found that even the Android app link has some issues just now.

These work for me when I turn off VPN and proxy services:
<https://veracrypt.eu/en/Android%20%26%20iOS%20Support.html>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/crypto-disks-store-private/id889549308>
<https://disk-decipher.app/>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/disk-decipher/id516538625>
<https://sovworks.com/eds/>

These do not work for me under those same circumstances:
<https://disk-decipher.hekkihek.nl/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sovworks.eds.android>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sovworks.edslite>

While you're on iOS, I'm on both Android and iOS and I just recently added
EDS Lite to my replacement T-Mobile Galaxy A32-5G, but I used my Windows
archives to do that so I didn't even need to look on the net for the app.
<https://i.postimg.cc/bN875p8b/apk01.jpg> 1600 APKs extracted onto Windows

It turns out that I didn't check the links deeply enough for you, although
I do realize you're not on Android, but I try to be balanced in both OSs.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=eds+lite&c=apps>

I can't find EDS Lite or EDS payware anymore on the Google Play Store
repository, which means the Veracrypt page may be woefully out of date.

Luckily one huge difference I hope Steve has added to his document on the
huge differences between mobile operating systems is that the FOSS Google
Play Store clients automatically save the zip installer upon installation.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Z5kdD2rg/aurora04.jpg> Autosave upon installation

Such that you can almost always use an older free apps on _any_ Android
device of the same or similar version of operating system. Unfortunately,
this isn't possible for iOS, presumably because Apple inserts a tracker
into each and every download from the iOS App Store (much to my chagrin).

In summary, especially since you're well aware of encrypted file containers
(which work on all platforms), one option to store files safely on your
mobile device without needing to put personal files on the Internet, is to
make use of portable encrypted file containers, which do work on all
platforms - but - which are "harder" to find for both mobile platforms.

I apologize for the old links at the Veracrypt web site, as I haven't
needed to download anything off the app store in many years since my
archives already have 1,600 apps that I use on every new phone setup.

Normally, my phone is mirrored onto my Windows desktop and the entire phone
is mounted automatically over Wi-Fi as a drive letter such that I have
plenty of ways to just doubleclick on any zip installer to install.
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows

So I was unaware that EDS & EDS Lite appear to be defunct on Google Play
Store repository (for reasons currently unknown to me at this time).

Thanks for your civil discussion, where I am mixing desktop and mobile
platforms in this conversation, and where I admire that you are aware
of portable encrypted containers, as I find them rather useful myself.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to civilly discuss portable encrypted containers.