From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Comparison of technical questions on the child-like Apple operating system newsgroups
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 03:09:13 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 03:09 UTC

Compare any technical question on the child-like Apple OS newsgroups
to any technical question in any of the adult operating system newsgroups.
<http://groups.google.com/g/{comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone}
<http://groups.google.com/g/{alt.os.linux,comp.mobile.android,windows,etc}

By way of example, this thread posted on the _adult_ operating system
newsgroups was fruitful in developing a general solution for storing your
private data in platform portable encrypted file containers, at no cost.
*Cross platform compatibility of portable encrypted file containers*
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.os.linux/c/j8qxaT8g-1A>

Here are some of the screenshots which resulted from that informative
thread, where you'll note the huge difference in attitude between any
technical thread on the adult OS newsgroups versus an Apple OS newsgroup.
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.os.linux>

FAT formatted encrypted container file between desktop & mobile over Wi-Fi.
<https://i.postimg.cc/26c2nPhj/eds06.jpg> Opening encrypted container file
<https://i.postimg.cc/Ghsqsg2r/eds07.jpg> Editing container contents
<https://i.postimg.cc/N0yMgXDN/eds08.jpg> Copying back to the desktop

exFAT formatted encrypted container file between desktop & mobile.
<https://i.postimg.cc/xjgzJCh0/eds01.jpg> EDS Lite exFAT module installed
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZqkBtyBL/eds02.jpg> EDS opens Veracrypt container
<https://i.postimg.cc/vBhcVqPP/eds03.jpg> Desktop & mobile portability
<https://i.postimg.cc/QthFVGq9/eds04.jpg> It's a general purpose solution
<https://i.postimg.cc/bwSDBRJJ/eds05.jpg> Closing the container on Android

Linux natively treats the entire iOS device as a read _and_ write filesys!
<https://i.postimg.cc/NFkXsJ0X/files01.jpg> iOS/Win DCIM is 1-way only
<https://i.postimg.cc/L8b18Zmx/files02.jpg> iOS "Files" does nothing
<https://i.postimg.cc/d3SGkdgr/files03.jpg> Android is two way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/QMk7tvZW/files04.jpg> Ubuntu is two way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/qqg61Rh8/files05.jpg> Ubuntu, movies _to_ iOS on USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/Jhmy9KH7/files06.jpg> Ubuntu uses iFuse for magic
<https://i.postimg.cc/KjK4nHwf/files07.jpg> Ubuntu is two-way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xcCBngd/files08.jpg> iOS is just a dumb brick
<https://i.postimg.cc/mDx3xkp4/files09.jpg> iOS only DCIM & only 1-way
<https://i.postimg.cc/9MGdc2s7/files10.jpg> Android is 2-way fast over USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/cChf8mx1/files11.jpg> iOS requires hacks
<https://i.postimg.cc/pVJf72fN/files12.jpg> iOS hacks very often will fail
<https://i.postimg.cc/g269S8rT/files13.jpg> How does macOS work with iOS?
<https://i.postimg.cc/s2x0f9Js/files14.jpg> linux, win10 & iOS at last!
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to point out the child-like Apple newsgroups can't

Re: Comparison of technical questions on the child-like Apple operating system newsgroups

<tl8qob$snn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15100&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15100

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 20:43:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 20:43 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> Hi Michael Logies,
>>
>> This is VERY important because one in ten million people, if that, know
>> what I'm about to tell you below about read _and_ write to iOS.
>>
>> When I dual boot a Windows desktop to Ubuntu, I have complete
>> simultaneous full read and write (both ways!) permission to all three
>> operating systems:
>> 1. Windows (even though it's not even running)
>> 2. Ubuntu (which is what I'm booted to)
>> 3. IOS (even the root partition, including all app storage space!)
>
> I can, out of the box, doing nothing special. Not to IOS, I don't have
> any apple hardware.

Hi Carlos,
Yes. Agreed. You are correct. Android works differently than does iOS.
I didn't mention Android because Android isn't a walled garden.

The simplest way to put it is the last thing Apple wants is
interoperability between anything that isn't made & sold by Apple.

Apple "doesn't support" Linux.
But that turns out to be a good thing.

Because Apple's idea of "support" means to lock it up so only Apple software will work.
Like they do when they "support" Windows (with the iTunes abomination).

With Android, you don't need anything to turn the _entire_ phone into a
read-only file system (including the root partitions) and most of the rest
of the phone into both a read and write filesystem (just like a USB drive).

But iOS is different.
Anything from Apple sucks in terms of interoperability.
At least on the Apple-supported platform of Windows, iOS is different.

On Windows, if you plug in an iOS device over USB, it's just read access.
And only read access to the one minor DCIM directory. Nothing else.

In fact, if you install the iTunes bloatware, you _lose_ functionality.
It's unheard of but you have less functionality with iTunes than without!

But with a dual boot of Windows/Linux (booting to Linux), iOS works great!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_dualboot87.jpg> Dualboot desktop
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_serial01.jpg> root dmesg on iOS :)
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_trust01.jpg> Trust this computer?
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_trust02.jpg> Allow this device?

It takes intelligence and knowledge to perceive the beauty of what I just
said, which is why I'm happy to disseminate this information to others here.

The great news is that with a dual boot to Linux on a Windows machine,
if you set up the Windows machine right (which only one in a thousand know how),
then you have _simultaneous_ read _and_ write access to all _four_ file systems!
1. Ubuntu (if you boot to Ubuntu)
2. Windows (if you know how to set it up to not fastboot or hibernate)
3. iOS (if you know what I have recently told Michael Logies how to do)
4. Android (this is a given)

But, if you know what you're doing, which only one in ten million (or so)
people do, then when you plug iOS into Ubuntu, you can read & write it all!

Here are examples of full read _and_ write between iOS & Linux & Windows:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps01.jpg> Documents on iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps02.jpg> App storage on iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps03.jpg> Internal app space
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps04.jpg> iOS write access!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps05.jpg> Win10 & Linux & iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps06.jpg> Win10 access too!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps07.jpg> Copy to all 3 OS's
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps08.jpg> Win10 System files
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps09.jpg> Read and write!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps10.jpg> Access to all iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps11.jpg> All iOS app storage!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps12.jpg> Windows to Linux/iOS!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_apps13.jpg> It all just works!
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to let people know what one in a million don't know,

Re: Comparison of technical questions on the child-like Apple operating system newsgroups

<tl8qq5$tmr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15101&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15101

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 20:44:01 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 20:44 UTC

Michael Logies wrote:

>>If anyone can get Chrome OS to do something like that, it would be great!
>
> I just connected my older iPhone SE (2nd generation, I believe) into
> my Chrome OS Flex. I can read the DCIM-directory, but not write.

Hi Michael Logies,

This is VERY important because one in ten million people, if that,
know what I'm about to tell you below about read _and_ write to iOS.

When I dual boot a Windows desktop to Ubuntu, I have complete simultaneous
full read and write (both ways!) permission to all three operating systems:
1. Windows (even though it's not even running)
2. Ubuntu (which is what I'm booted to)
3. IOS (even the root partition, including all app storage space!)

Read _and_ write.
But you need to know the single simple (trivial in fact) trick.

Which one in ten million people happen to know.
Even though I've posted this trick many times to Usenet tutorials.

This is important because it shows how people on Usenet, when working
together, can solve problems that no MARKETING org wants us to solve.

To copy files both ways (read _and_ write):
1. Apple MARKETING wants you to use the iTunes abomination on Windows
2. Apple MARKETING doesn't want you to connect to Linux in any manner

Luckily, native Ubuntu iFuse works _perfectly_ between Linux & iOS.
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, iFuse does not exist for Windows.
<https://superuser.com/questions/179436/is-it-possible-to-use-fuse-with-windows>

Back to your read _and_ write tests of "Chrome OS Flex", it may matter if
iFuse is native (or ported) to that operating system. I don't know.
<https://libimobiledevice.org/#downloads>

I don't know anything about "Chrome OS Flex" but I know Ubuntu when it
comes to plugging an iPhone/iPad over USB into it for read _and_ write.
*How to read/write access iOS file systems on Ubuntu/Windows over USB cable*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/IFC52JXBQ1c>

The best marketing organization on the planet doesn't want you to know that
Linux iFuse (I only tested Ubuntu though) automatically turns the entire
iOS device (much more than just DCIM) into a read _and_ write USB stick.

However, what I keep forgetting to mention is there is a secret trick, (I
tested on Ubuntu) for obtaining that _write_ permission from Linux to iOS.

<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios000.jpg> Ubuntu before iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios010.jpg> Trust This Computer?
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios020.jpg> Allow device access?
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios030.jpg> iOS mounts on Ubuntu
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios040.jpg> View iOS filesystem
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios050.jpg> Including DCIM folder
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios060.jpg> For both read & write
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios070.jpg> If you know a trick
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios080.jpg> This is the trick!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios090.jpg> Which nobody knows!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios100.jpg> iFuse is Ubuntu native
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios110.jpg> iFuse mounts Windows
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios120.jpg> iFuse mounts iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios130.jpg> iFuse mounts all!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios140.jpg> read and write iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios150.jpg> Copy Win10 to iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios160.jpg> Any file you want
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios170.jpg> Anywhere you want
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios180.jpg> Read & write all!

Notice something very interesting, which is everyone claims to know how
to do this, but if you don't know the secret trick (see above), you can't.

But once you know the secret trick, then it's perfect!
*Windows & Linux & iOS all simultaneous file systems*

Notice that's with _two_ (not three!) operating systems booted?
(Where Windows & Linux are a dual boot setup.)

This is not with a VM.
It's too perfect.

Simultaneous access to the full Windows, Linux & iOS file systems.
Read _and_ write.

Note: One in a million (maybe one in ten million) people know how to do this.
But I haven't tested it on Chrome OS (just Ubuntu & Windows 10 & iOS).
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to show a read/write trick for iOS that probably