Physician: One upon whom we set our hopes when ill and our dogs when well. -- Ambrose Bierce

computers / alt.bbs.synchronet / First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS

SubjectAuthor
* First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSThe Millionaire
+- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSCrushed
+- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSechicken
+* First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSNightfox
|`* Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSpoindexter FORTRAN
| `* Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSNightfox
|  +- Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSXerxes
|  +- Re: First Computer That RMoondog
|  `* Re: First Computer That RDumas Walker
|   `* Re: First Computer That RNightfox
|    +* Re: First Computer That RXerxes
|    |+- Re: First Computer That RAndre
|    |+- Re: First Computer That RMRO
|    |`- Re: First Computer That RDumas Walker
|    `* Re: First Computer That RDumas Walker
|     `- Re: First Computer That RNightfox
+- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSCompctech
+* First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSDaiTengu
|`- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSAndre
+- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSMewcenary
`* First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSDesotoFireflite
 `* First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSCrushed
  +- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSDesotoFireflite
  `* First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSNightfox
   +* First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSDigital Man
   |+- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSMRO
   |`* First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSDaiTengu
   | +- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSThe Millionaire
   | +- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSDesotoFireflite
   | `- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSMRO
   `- First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBSDesotoFireflite

Pages:12
First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS

<6204C814.5957.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15147&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15147

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-10gf-this (MRO)
Subject: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 02:08:52 -0600
 by: MRO - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 08:08 UTC

To: Digital Man
Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Feb 09 2022 07:45 pm

> Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
> By: Nightfox to Crushed on Wed Feb 09 2022 06:12 pm
>
> > Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
> > By: Crushed to DesotoFireflite on Wed Feb 09 2022 04:58 pm
>
> > Cr> hahahahah, Telix Host! I forgot all about that "bbs" Telix included
> > Cr> with their terminal app, written in "SALT" (Script Application
> > Cr> Language for Telix).
>
> > I tried using that briefly and let someone call my PC in the early 90s.
> > I remember it looked interesting, but it didn't seem full-featured enough
> > to run a full BBS with it.
>
> It wasn't, but that didn't stop me from trying. :-)
>
> It was called (very originally) "The Pirate's Cove". After I quickly
> replaced it with WWIV (and named the BBS "Vertrauen"), I recall one user
> asking me: hey when are you going to put back The Pirate's Cove, I really
> liked that! <blink> --
> digital man (rob)

i think those host scripts were a good way to get our feet wet and want something more. i started out with a simple file server script.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS

<62051A8F.34399.dove-syncdisc@valhalla.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15149&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15149

From: desotofi...@VALHALLA.remove-fbb-this (DesotoFireflite)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:00:47 -0500
 by: DesotoFireflite - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 14:00 UTC

To: Nightfox
Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
By: Nightfox to Crushed on Wed Feb 09 2022 06:12 pm

Ni> Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
Ni> By: Crushed to DesotoFireflite on Wed Feb 09 2022 04:58 pm

Cr>> hahahahah, Telix Host! I forgot all about that "bbs" Telix included
Cr>> with their terminal app, written in "SALT" (Script Application
Cr>> Language for Telix).

Ni> I tried using that briefly and let someone call my PC in the early 90s. I
Ni> remember it looked interesting, but it didn't seem full-featured enough to
Ni> run a full BBS with it.

That's why I switched to GAP back then NF, A friend was running GAP, and I was very impressed.

SysOp: C.G. Learn, AKA: DesotoFireflite
Valhalla Home Services! - (Synchronet) - bbs.valhallabbs.com
Valhalla II! - (GAP) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:24
Valhalla III! - (RemoteAccess) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:5023
Valhalla IIII! - (Dungeons & Dragons BBS) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:26
Valhalla Home Services Web! - http://bbs.valhallabbs.com
A Gamers Paradise - Over 150 Registered Online Game Doors!
Home Of Odin's Maze Game Server!

--- Don't eat the yellow snow!
■ Synchronet ■ Valhalla Home Services ■ USA ■ http://valhalla.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS

<62053B3F.52808.dove-syncdisc@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15153&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15153

From: daite...@ENSEMBLE.remove-6y8-this (DaiTengu)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:20:15 -0600
 by: DaiTengu - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 16:20 UTC

To: Digital Man
Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Feb 09 2022 07:45 pm

> Cr>> hahahahah, Telix Host! I forgot all about that "bbs" Telix included
> Cr>> with their terminal app, written in "SALT" (Script Application Language
> Cr>> for Telix).

>> I tried using that briefly and let someone call my PC in the early 90s. I
>> remember it looked interesting, but it didn't seem full-featured enough to
>> run a full BBS with it.

DM> It wasn't, but that didn't stop me from trying. :-)

DM> It was called (very originally) "The Pirate's Cove". After I quickly replaced it with WWIV (and named the BBS "Vertrauen"), I
DM> recall one user asking me: hey when are you going to put back The Pirate's Cove, I really liked that! <blink> --

Terminate had a mini bbs-like system people could dial into. Once I discovered Terminate, I never used another terminal system until I moved to Linux.

I know there's a copy of it (It's like 2-3 floppy disks) laying around on BBSes, I almost want to fire it up and tinker with it again. I can't for the life of me remember why I loved it so much.

DaiTengu

.... I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS

<62055E01.45778.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15154&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15154

From: the.mill...@vert.synchro.net.remove-wet-this (The Millionaire)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:48:33 -0800
 by: The Millionaire - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 18:48 UTC

To: DaiTengu

> Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
> By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Feb 09 2022 07:45 pm

> Terminate had a mini bbs-like system people could dial into. Once I
> discovered Terminate, I never used another terminal system until I moved to
> Linux.

> I know there's a copy of it (It's like 2-3 floppy disks) laying around on
> BBSes, I almost want to fire it up and tinker with it again. I can't for the
> life of me remember why I loved it so much.

> DaiTengu

> ... I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

> ---
> ■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war -
> warensemble.com

I loved the file manager in it. Very handy. "The Final Datacoms Terminal".

$ The Millionaire $
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS

<6205602E.34404.dove-syncdisc@valhalla.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15155&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15155

From: desotofi...@VALHALLA.remove-8k5-this (DesotoFireflite)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:57:50 -0500
 by: DesotoFireflite - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 18:57 UTC

To: DaiTengu
Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
By: DaiTengu to Digital Man on Thu Feb 10 2022 10:20 am

Da> Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
Da> By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Feb 09 2022 07:45 pm

>>> I tried using that briefly and let someone call my PC in the
>>> early 90s. I remember it looked interesting, but it didn't seem
>>> full-featured enough to run a full BBS with it.

DM>> It wasn't, but that didn't stop me from trying. :-)

DM>> It was called (very originally) "The Pirate's Cove". After I quickly
DM>> replaced it with WWIV (and named the BBS "Vertrauen"), I
DM>> recall one user asking me: hey when are you going to put back The
DM>> Pirate's Cove, I really liked that! <blink> --

Da> Terminate had a mini bbs-like system people could dial into. Once I
Da> discovered Terminate, I never used another terminal system until I moved
Da> to Linux.

Da> I know there's a copy of it (It's like 2-3 floppy disks) laying around on
Da> BBSes, I almost want to fire it up and tinker with it again. I can't for
Da> the life of me remember why I loved it so much.

I still have a copy of it I think, on an origianl Telex Disk... LOL

SysOp: C.G. Learn, AKA: DesotoFireflite
Valhalla Home Services! - (Synchronet) - bbs.valhallabbs.com
Valhalla II! - (GAP) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:24
Valhalla III! - (RemoteAccess) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:5023
Valhalla IIII! - (Dungeons & Dragons BBS) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:26
Valhalla Home Services Web! - http://bbs.valhallabbs.com
A Gamers Paradise - Over 150 Registered Online Game Doors!
Home Of Odin's Maze Game Server!

--- CAT (n.), Furry keyboard cover.
■ Synchronet ■ Valhalla Home Services ■ USA ■ http://valhalla.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS

<62056AED.5979.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15157&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15157

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-w1k-this (MRO)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:43:41 -0600
 by: MRO - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 19:43 UTC

To: DaiTengu
Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
By: DaiTengu to Digital Man on Thu Feb 10 2022 10:20 am

> Re: First Computer That Ran Synchronet BBS
> By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Feb 09 2022 07:45 pm

> > Language Cr>> for Telix).
>
> >> I tried using that briefly and let someone call my PC in the early 90s.
> >> remember it looked interesting, but it didn't seem full-featured enough
> >> run a full BBS with it.
>
> DM> It wasn't, but that didn't stop me from trying. :-)
>
> DM> It was called (very originally) "The Pirate's Cove". After I quickly
> DM> replaced it with WWIV (and named the BBS "Vertrauen"), I
> DM> recall one user asking me: hey when are you going to put back The
> DM> Pirate's Cove, I really liked that! <blink> --
>

> Terminate had a mini bbs-like system people could dial into. Once I
> discovered Terminate, I never used another terminal system until I moved to
> Linux.
>

> I know there's a copy of it (It's like 2-3 floppy disks) laying around on
> BBSes, I almost want to fire it up and tinker with it again. I can't for
> the life of me remember why I loved it so much.

that termbox windows installer has terminate and other softwares configured to run on dosbox

https://i.imgur.com/TG8ahV9.png
---