6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / SDR app for Mac OS

SubjectAuthor
* SDR app for Mac OSAlan Browne
`* Re: SDR app for Mac OSSn!pe
 `* Re: SDR app for Mac OSAlan Browne
  `- Re: SDR app for Mac OSSn!pe

1
SDR app for Mac OS

<VGyxL.84711$SdR7.66887@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15236&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15236

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Subject: SDR app for Mac OS
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 09:56:52 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 14:56 UTC

Will likely buy a Software Defined Radio (SDR) on USB for a variety of
projects.

Any Mac OS s/w to recommend?

Features I'd like to have:

- demodulation of AM, SSB, FM - everything in the 1.8 to 1300 MHz range.

- ADS-B decode (978 and 1090 MHz)

- Decode data output to pipe file for input to my own program or API (C).

Nice to have: GPS correlation and decode.

Not adverse to s/w running under Linux on Rasp Pi 4B either, but that's
another issue.

A quick find:
https://learn.adafruit.com/getting-started-with-rtl-sdr-and-sdr-sharp/cubicsdr-fm-radio

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: SDR app for Mac OS

<1q4rqdi.1y9em611n366zxN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15264&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15264

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: SDR app for Mac OS
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 19:43:16 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 19:43 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> Will likely buy a Software Defined Radio (SDR) on USB for a variety of
> projects.
>
> Any Mac OS s/w to recommend?

I'm sorry not to have any recommendations to offer but
I'm interested in this too. I last looked for MacOS SDR s/w
~5 years ago and found none. I ended up running a 'Doze
VM just for the radio s/w.

If you do happen to find some Mac s/w I'd be very interested
to hear about it.

> Features I'd like to have:
>
> - demodulation of AM, SSB, FM - everything in the 1.8 to 1300 MHz range.
>
> - ADS-B decode (978 and 1090 MHz)
>
> - Decode data output to pipe file for input to my own program or API (C).
>
> Nice to have: GPS correlation and decode.
>
> Not adverse to s/w running under Linux on Rasp Pi 4B either, but that's
> another issue.
>
> A quick find:
> <https://learn.adafruit.com/getting-started-with-rtl-sdr-and-sdr-sharp/cubicsdr-fm-radio>

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe My pet rock Gordon just is.

~ Slava Ukraini ~

Re: SDR app for Mac OS

<3cYxL.22005$eRZ7.18484@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15266&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15266

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 14:58:54 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 19:58 UTC

On 2023-01-18 14:43, Sn!pe wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>> Will likely buy a Software Defined Radio (SDR) on USB for a variety of
>> projects.
>>
>> Any Mac OS s/w to recommend?
>>

> I'm sorry not to have any recommendations to offer but
> I'm interested in this too. I last looked for MacOS SDR s/w
> ~5 years ago and found none. I ended up running a 'Doze
> VM just for the radio s/w.
>
> If you do happen to find some Mac s/w I'd be very interested
> to hear about it.

Well, the one I linked below and a recent reply from Amazon Answers:

<<"SDR++, GQRX, CubicSDR, SDRAngel are all good apps for MacOS. SDRAngel
can do ADS-B, but there are other more lightweight ADS-B decoders
available too.">>

>> Features I'd like to have:
>>
>> - demodulation of AM, SSB, FM - everything in the 1.8 to 1300 MHz range.
>>
>> - ADS-B decode (978 and 1090 MHz)
>>
>> - Decode data output to pipe file for input to my own program or API (C).
>>
>> Nice to have: GPS correlation and decode.
>>
>> Not adverse to s/w running under Linux on Rasp Pi 4B either, but that's
>> another issue.
>>
>> A quick find:
>> <https://learn.adafruit.com/getting-started-with-rtl-sdr-and-sdr-sharp/cubicsdr-fm-radio>

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: SDR app for Mac OS

<1q4rsy2.juq12x8ix0f5N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15267&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15267

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:45:14 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:45 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> On 2023-01-18 14:43, Sn!pe wrote:
> > Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Will likely buy a Software Defined Radio (SDR) on USB for a variety of
> >> projects.
> >>
> >> Any Mac OS s/w to recommend?
> >>

> > I'm sorry not to have any recommendations to offer but
> > I'm interested in this too. I last looked for MacOS SDR s/w
> > ~5 years ago and found none. I ended up running a 'Doze
> > VM just for the radio s/w.
> >
> > If you do happen to find some Mac s/w I'd be very interested
> > to hear about it.
>
> Well, the one I linked below

Oops! I missed that.

>and a recent reply from Amazon Answers:
>
> <<"SDR++, GQRX, CubicSDR, SDRAngel are all good apps for MacOS. SDRAngel
> can do ADS-B, but there are other more lightweight ADS-B decoders
> available too.">>

Thanks for that, Alan, I'll take a look. I'd be interested
to hear what you finally decide to use.

> >> Features I'd like to have:
> >>
> >> - demodulation of AM, SSB, FM - everything in the 1.8 to 1300 MHz range.
> >>
> >> - ADS-B decode (978 and 1090 MHz)
> >>
> >> - Decode data output to pipe file for input to my own program or API (C).
> >>
> >> Nice to have: GPS correlation and decode.
> >>
> >> Not adverse to s/w running under Linux on Rasp Pi 4B either, but that's
> >> another issue.
> >>
> >> A quick find:
> >> <https://learn.adafruit.com/getting-started-with-rtl-sdr-and-sdr-sharp/cubicsdr-fm-radio>

Interesting.