From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: FREE GAME: Saints Row (2023)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 11:15:27 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:15 UTC

Has it been 24 hours since the last announcement? It must be, because
here's another post entitled "FREE GAMES:". And what does Epic put out
for us today?

* Saints Row (2023)
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/saints-row
No, not the classic Saints Row; this is the remake
that came out earlier this year. You know, the one
that was generally said to be 'not that good' because
it lacked the character and fun of the earlier games
(mechanically, it was fine, if lacking in originality).
I don't know if it's impressive that Epic is giving
away a game so new, or if its a comment on how poorly
that game was received. Either way, at least it's
not another Indie title.

There's a bunch of free cosmetic packs you can snag
too, if you're into that sort of thing.

24 hours until the next one...

Re: FREE GAME: Saints Row (2023)

<umpgjg$1b4m4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15281&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15281

From: justis...@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: FREE GAME: Saints Row (2023)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:30:38 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:30 UTC

On 12/30/2023 8:15 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Has it been 24 hours since the last announcement? It must be, because
> here's another post entitled "FREE GAMES:". And what does Epic put out
> for us today?
>

> * Saints Row (2023)
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/saints-row
> No, not the classic Saints Row; this is the remake
> that came out earlier this year. You know, the one
> that was generally said to be 'not that good' because
> it lacked the character and fun of the earlier games
> (mechanically, it was fine, if lacking in originality).
> I don't know if it's impressive that Epic is giving
> away a game so new, or if its a comment on how poorly
> that game was received. Either way, at least it's
> not another Indie title.
>
> There's a bunch of free cosmetic packs you can snag
> too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Woo! One I really wanted (but not as much as other games I've got an
haven't gotten around to, or intend to go back to.) Now I don't have to
pay for it!

Thanks for the reminder Spalls, I'm sure I would've missed it otherwise.

I feel a small modicum of gratitude toward Epic for this and the Outer
Worlds with the DLCs. I'm not anywhere near using their horrible client
for buying anything preferentially though.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: FREE GAME: Saints Row (2023)

<umpil7$1bcto$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15282&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15282

From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:05:47 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 17:05 UTC

On 12/30/2023 5:15 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Has it been 24 hours since the last announcement? It must be, because
> here's another post entitled "FREE GAMES:". And what does Epic put out
> for us today?
>

> * Saints Row (2023)
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/saints-row
> No, not the classic Saints Row; this is the remake
> that came out earlier this year. You know, the one
> that was generally said to be 'not that good' because
> it lacked the character and fun of the earlier games
> (mechanically, it was fine, if lacking in originality).
> I don't know if it's impressive that Epic is giving
> away a game so new, or if its a comment on how poorly
> that game was received. Either way, at least it's
> not another Indie title.
>
> There's a bunch of free cosmetic packs you can snag
> too, if you're into that sort of thing.
>

> 24 hours until the next one...

Hmmm... I think I got some Saint's Row game on Steam from somewhere, but
this is one of those series that has completely passed me by somehow.
I guess it's about gangs and stuff?

Re: FREE GAME: Saints Row (2023)

<umpk4v$1bkk6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15283&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15283

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 17:31:11 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
 by: Ross Ridge - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 17:31 UTC

kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hmmm... I think I got some Saint's Row game on Steam from somewhere, but
>this is one of those series that has completely passed me by somehow.
>I guess it's about gangs and stuff?

It's Grand Theft Auto clone, but one that got more and more over the top
crazy as the series progressed. By Saints Row 4 the game is basically
a superhero simulator, and so the latest game, Saints Rows (2022) and
the one Epic is giving away today is a necessary reboot of the series.
The original Saints Row (2006) game was only available on the Xbox 360,
but Saints Row 2, 3, and 4 have been given away free on Steam, GOG.com
and the Epic Game Store at various times.

Saints Row 3 is the most popular of the 5 games in the series and
probably the easiest to get into if you're looking to play one of their
old over-the-top zany games. Saints Row 2 has problems running on modern
PCs and 4 is just too much for its own good.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca