If you love someone, set them free. If they don't come back, then call them up when you're drunk.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Re: Invalid Sim Card

SubjectAuthor
* Invalid Sim CardAdrian
+* Re: Invalid Sim CardAndy Burns
|`- Re: Invalid Sim CardAdrian
+* Re: Invalid Sim CardWoody
|+* Re: Invalid Sim CardAdrian
||`- Re: Invalid Sim CardAdrian
|`* Re: Invalid Sim CardRichmond
| `* Re: Invalid Sim CardOttavio Caruso
|  `* Re: Invalid Sim CardRichmond
|   `- Re: Invalid Sim CardPamela
`* Re: Invalid Sim CardOttavio Caruso
 `* Re: Invalid Sim CardTheo
  `- Re: Invalid Sim CardJava Jive

1
Invalid Sim Card

<$3cak4CFHADmFweg@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15282&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15282

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Invalid Sim Card
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:01:57 +0100
 by: Adrian - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 13:01 UTC

I recently asked here about how easy it was to transfer from one phone
to another, and thanks again for the advice.

This morning I bought another (second hand) phone, which was sold as
unlocked. On putting in my SIM card, I get the message :

Invalid SIM Card
Network Locked SIM card inserted

Is this a problem with the phone, or with my SIM card, and if the latter
can it be easily resolved ?

Thanks

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<l72i2pFnlatU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15283&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15283

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Invalid Sim Card
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 15:12:40 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:12 UTC

Adrian wrote:

> Network Locked SIM card inserted

Have you got the PUK for the SIM?

might have been included in the packaging, or on the larger SIM
"carrier" or might have to ask network for it.

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<KVA3sLM3eBDmFwqe@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15284&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15284

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 15:35:35 +0100
 by: Adrian - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:35 UTC

In message <l72i2pFnlatU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>Adrian wrote:
>
>> Network Locked SIM card inserted
>
>Have you got the PUK for the SIM?

Not that I've been able to find. The current SIM came with the phone
that I'm replacing, and that was 6.5 years ago.

>might have been included in the packaging, or on the larger SIM
>"carrier" or might have to ask network for it.

I suspect that will have to be the answer. A trip into town tomorrow to
the O2 shop.

Thanks

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<uuh88j$39dba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15285&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15285

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:29:22 +0100
 by: Woody - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 15:29 UTC

On Tue 02/04/2024 14:01, Adrian wrote:
> I recently asked here about how easy it was to transfer from one phone
> to another, and thanks again for the advice.
>
> This morning I bought another (second hand) phone, which was sold as
> unlocked.  On putting in my SIM card, I get the message :
>
> Invalid SIM Card
> Network Locked SIM card inserted
>
> Is this a problem with the phone, or with my SIM card, and if the latter
> can it be easily resolved ?
>
> Thanks

Surely the answer is in the wording? "Network Locked SIM card inserted."
This means that the SIM is locked to a specific network so it would
suggest you phone is locked to a different network?

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<2HFY4mRi5EDmFwcn@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15286&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15286

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:28:50 +0100
 by: Adrian - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 18:28 UTC

In message <uuh88j$39dba$1@dont-email.me>, Woody
<harrogate3@ntlworld.com> writes
>On Tue 02/04/2024 14:01, Adrian wrote:
>> I recently asked here about how easy it was to transfer from one
>>phone to another, and thanks again for the advice.
>> This morning I bought another (second hand) phone, which was sold as
>>unlocked.  On putting in my SIM card, I get the message :
>> Invalid SIM Card
>> Network Locked SIM card inserted
>> Is this a problem with the phone, or with my SIM card, and if the
>>latter can it be easily resolved ?
>> Thanks
>>

>Surely the answer is in the wording? "Network Locked SIM card
>inserted." This means that the SIM is locked to a specific network so
>it would suggest you phone is locked to a different network?

That may well be the case, but the phone was sold (and marked with a
sticker) saying unlocked. That said, I was a bit surprised when it
insisted that it needed a couple of EE apps installing, even though I'm
not using EE. Perhaps I ought to revisit the phone supplier to get them
to confirm that it is unlocked.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<86plv7a81m.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15287&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15287

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 20:17:25 +0100
 by: Richmond - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:17 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> writes:

> On Tue 02/04/2024 14:01, Adrian wrote:
>> I recently asked here about how easy it was to transfer from one
>> phone to another, and thanks again for the advice.
>> This morning I bought another (second hand) phone, which was sold as
>> unlocked.  On putting in my SIM card, I get the message :
>> Invalid SIM Card
>> Network Locked SIM card inserted
>> Is this a problem with the phone, or with my SIM card, and if the
>> latter can it be easily resolved ?
>> Thanks
>>

> Surely the answer is in the wording? "Network Locked SIM card
> inserted." This means that the SIM is locked to a specific network so
> it would suggest you phone is locked to a different network?

Surely most SIM cards are locked to a network?

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<uuj38h$3q6ra$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15288&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15288

From: ottavio2...@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:16:17 +0100
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:16 UTC

Am 02/04/2024 um 14:01 schrieb Adrian:
> I recently asked here about how easy it was to transfer from one phone
> to another, and thanks again for the advice.
>
> This morning I bought another (second hand) phone, which was sold as
> unlocked.  On putting in my SIM card, I get the message :
>
> Invalid SIM Card
> Network Locked SIM card inserted
>
> Is this a problem with the phone, or with my SIM card, and if the latter
> can it be easily resolved ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Adrian

It means the phone is sim-locked. Yes, it can be solved, there is 3rd
party software that can unlock the phone, probably not legal. Or you can
pay a release fee from the original provided. Some do that for free (O2
can do that, I think).

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<uuj3a9$3q6ra$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15289&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15289

From: ottavio2...@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:17:13 +0100
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:17 UTC

Am 02/04/2024 um 20:17 schrieb Richmond:
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue 02/04/2024 14:01, Adrian wrote:
>>> I recently asked here about how easy it was to transfer from one
>>> phone to another, and thanks again for the advice.
>>> This morning I bought another (second hand) phone, which was sold as
>>> unlocked.  On putting in my SIM card, I get the message :
>>> Invalid SIM Card
>>> Network Locked SIM card inserted
>>> Is this a problem with the phone, or with my SIM card, and if the
>>> latter can it be easily resolved ?
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Surely the answer is in the wording? "Network Locked SIM card
>> inserted." This means that the SIM is locked to a specific network so
>> it would suggest you phone is locked to a different network?
>
> Surely most SIM cards are locked to a network?

I am pretty sure the message comes from the phone.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<Fpy9sVDWFSDmFw5w@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15290&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15290

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 10:28:54 +0100
 by: Adrian - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:28 UTC

In message <2HFY4mRi5EDmFwcn@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
<bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>In message <uuh88j$39dba$1@dont-email.me>, Woody
><harrogate3@ntlworld.com> writes
>>On Tue 02/04/2024 14:01, Adrian wrote:
>>> I recently asked here about how easy it was to transfer from one
>>>phone to another, and thanks again for the advice.
>>> This morning I bought another (second hand) phone, which was sold
>>>as unlocked.  On putting in my SIM card, I get the message :
>>> Invalid SIM Card
>>> Network Locked SIM card inserted
>>> Is this a problem with the phone, or with my SIM card, and if the
>>>latter can it be easily resolved ?
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>Surely the answer is in the wording? "Network Locked SIM card
>>inserted." This means that the SIM is locked to a specific network so
>>would suggest you phone is locked to a different network?
>>

>That may well be the case, but the phone was sold (and marked with a
>sticker) saying unlocked. That said, I was a bit surprised when it
>insisted that it needed a couple of EE apps installing, even though I'm
>not using EE. Perhaps I ought to revisit the phone supplier to get
>them to confirm that it is unlocked.

Back to the supplier this morning. It appears that the phone was locked
to EE. No problem, they've got another one of the same model. That was
tested in the shop, and it was also locked to a network. Third time
lucky, same model, but unlocked. I phoned home from the shop, and it
connected. Shop was at a loss as to how two phones had been tested and
marked as unlocked, but would investigate.

Thanks for the assistance.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<86y19u3g6b.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15291&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15291

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 11:15:56 +0100
 by: Richmond - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 10:15 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> writes:

> Am 02/04/2024 um 20:17 schrieb Richmond: > Woody
><harrogate3@ntlworld.com> writes:

>>> Surely the answer is in the wording? "Network Locked SIM card
>>> inserted." This means that the SIM is locked to a specific network
>>> so it would suggest you phone is locked to a different network? >>
>>> Surely most SIM cards are locked to a network?
>
> I am pretty sure the message comes from the phone.

As a result of this thread I came across this:

https://anywheresim.com/

A SIM card which can use any network!

Calls 10p, texts 5p

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<Vxv*c20Gz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15292&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15292

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 03 Apr 2024 11:57:15 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 10:57 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It means the phone is sim-locked. Yes, it can be solved, there is 3rd
> party software that can unlock the phone, probably not legal. Or you can
> pay a release fee from the original provided. Some do that for free (O2
> can do that, I think).

It's free from EE, you just fill in a form:

https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/manage-use/unlock-device/unlock-an-ee-device-to-use-with-another-network

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<uujgoi$3tima$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15293&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15293

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 13:06:39 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 12:06 UTC

On 03/04/2024 11:57, Theo wrote:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> It means the phone is sim-locked. Yes, it can be solved, there is 3rd
>> party software that can unlock the phone, probably not legal. Or you can
>> pay a release fee from the original provided. Some do that for free (O2
>> can do that, I think).
>
> It's free from EE, you just fill in a form:
>
> https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/manage-use/unlock-device/unlock-an-ee-device-to-use-with-another-network

I investigated this for my BT 4G Assure dongle plugged in to my router
which gives me the broadband connection over Three that I'm using to
write this:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2021/mobile-companies-now-banned-from-selling-locked-handsets

As a result, when I rang BT, they gave me an unlock code for free.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Invalid Sim Card

<XnsB149ED3E8E5061F3QA2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15294&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15294

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 23:19:19 +0100
 by: Pamela - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 22:19 UTC

On 11:15 3 Apr 2024, Richmond said:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> writes:

>> I am pretty sure the message comes from the phone.
>
> As a result of this thread I came across this:
>
> https://anywheresim.com/
>
> A SIM card which can use any network!
>
> Calls 10p, texts 5p

Google says Pangea also offers "unsteered" SIMs (a.k.a. "UK roaming"),
although I don't know the company and I'm not sure they sell to end
users.

https://pangea-group.net/multi-network-sims/