Parts that positively cannot be assembled in improper order will be.

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC Case

SubjectAuthor
* 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC CaseSkybuck Flying
`* Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC CasePaul
 `* Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC CaseSkybuck Flying
  +- Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC CaseSkybuck Flying
  +* Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC CasePaul
  |`- Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC CaseSkybuck Flying
  `- Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC CasePaul

1
8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC Case

<fa9a4810-b091-4922-bbfe-accd4eef53can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1524&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1524

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 15:17:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC Case
From: skybuckf...@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 22:17 UTC

I am about to ask these questions on the MSI Forum but in case I get no replies for whatever reason, I post it here too, maybe somebody here knows the answers =D

Q1: What are these (two) screws for ? (The manual says HDD, but I don't see a way to attach these to the harddisk bays ?)

https://youtu.be/BE6JA-g1RqE?si=DOc9HM9WhtrLbwbX

Q2: What is this screw for ? and

Q3: What is this fan cable extension thing ?

https://youtu.be/l__XbxwYCQY?si=SGTVyVcC0I_cRdJf

Q4: Why are there three holes in the shroud for the vertical graphics mounting kit ? (can the kit be moved ?)

https://youtu.be/Xsn-zXqvQP0?si=PyE3fk53XrtDtrI9

Q5: Why make shroud so difficult to remove ? (Must first remove two other parts ?!?) and

Q6: Why no holes in back side of the case to vent the backplate area/back of motherboard ?

https://youtu.be/UHaM5l6mOlY?si=59TOUiP3WuZIeBpj

Q7: Why not make it such that the top dust filter can be pulled out (easily) ?

https://youtu.be/O969qlIE7yQ?si=j2zHNOVuBaVit9rg

Q8: Question 8 for MSI, Why is removal of top dust filter inconsistent with the other dust filters ? (screws/pickup vs no screws/slide) (plus feedback)

https://youtu.be/ZfP9JW6kw2M

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC Case

<ug00n8$3l9pr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1526&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1526

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 00:48:39 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 04:48 UTC

On 10/8/2023 6:17 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> I am about to ask these questions on the MSI Forum but in case I get no replies for whatever reason, I post it here too, maybe somebody here knows the answers =D
>
> Q1: What are these (two) screws for ? (The manual says HDD, but I don't see a way to attach these to the harddisk bays ?)
>
> https://youtu.be/BE6JA-g1RqE?si=DOc9HM9WhtrLbwbX

With the PDF manual open to page 3, wipe over the area next to the HDD screw.

Screw #6-32 6mm [Four Chinese characters == "Hand rotation screw"]
x2
HDD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case_screws

Example

A regular computer case may require/include[5]

- 7 thumb screw 6-32 × 6 mm for 2.5" drive tray, expansion slots
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The SSD drive tray on your computer case, has a hinge-like feature on
the bottom, and one 6mm thumbscrew holds the tray to the case when installing it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-meg-prospect-700r/images/instssd3.jpg

> Q2: What is this screw for ? and
>
> Q3: What is this fan cable extension thing ?
>
> https://youtu.be/l__XbxwYCQY?si=SGTVyVcC0I_cRdJf

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-meg-prospect-700r/2.html

"... and a PWM splitter cable"

"a three-fan splitter cable"

It could be this, but, I don't know what the "blob" is for in the cable.
You will have to take the twist tie off it, and stretch out the
wiring, if you expect me to guess at this stuff :-)

+12V ---
PWM ------------+------+------+ How you would drive three fans,
TACHO ---------+ | | | from one fan header, subject to
GND -------- | | | | current flow limits on the header
| | X | X | for +12V
FAN1 FAN2 FAN3

> Q4: Why are there three holes in the shroud for the vertical graphics mounting kit ? (can the kit be moved ?)
>
> https://youtu.be/Xsn-zXqvQP0?si=PyE3fk53XrtDtrI9

Maybe start with the MSI "How to mount 4090" to see how the vertical mounter works.
You won't have the cable assembly, so the odds of you using this are "slim to none".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yWNEW5luWM

When the gentleman fastens the 4090 to the adapter, and places the adapter
in the case, there is no chance to be fitting any screws to the tail end
of the adapter. There might be alignment pins on the vertical mounting plates,
on the bottom of it, but I am unable to find any pictures of the adapter,
except for the top side of it (that video).

> Q5: Why make shroud so difficult to remove ? (Must first remove two other parts ?!?) and
>
> Q6: Why no holes in back side of the case to vent the backplate area/back of motherboard ?
>
> https://youtu.be/UHaM5l6mOlY?si=59TOUiP3WuZIeBpj

When the back fans are pulling air out of the computer case, would the "gap"
at the front of the case, bring in some cool air ? Where does that air flow ?

> Q7: Why not make it such that the top dust filter can be pulled out (easily) ?
>
> https://youtu.be/O969qlIE7yQ?si=j2zHNOVuBaVit9rg
>

> Q8: Question 8 for MSI, Why is removal of top dust filter inconsistent with the other dust filters ? (screws/pickup vs no screws/slide) (plus feedback)
>
> https://youtu.be/ZfP9JW6kw2M

The Noctua, you might have to remove the center fan, to
work the screws. I have a cooler for my system, they put
an "aperture" to fit the usual L-shaped screwdriver, and
that was a bitch to fit. I had to get my hands behind the
heatsink and feel for stuff, to finally get the screw
to advance. The Noctua should be easier to install.

Take a picture of how the fan clips fit, so you will
know later, how to fit it.

With the Noctua, you cannot afford to have too much stuff
mounted next to the CPU area, to work on it. You need
room to work. any other vertical structures near it,
can get in your way.

I have only one fan (center one) in the Noctua D15 on
my 4930K, because it is (measured) 156W max. Which is 144W
for VCore roughly, and the rest is VCore transistor waste heat.

Paul

Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC Case

<5d66705a-0e05-4c84-908b-7d00bee0ff03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1532&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1532

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: skybuckf...@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:43 UTC

On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 6:48:46 AM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
> On 10/8/2023 6:17 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> > I am about to ask these questions on the MSI Forum but in case I get no replies for whatever reason, I post it here too, maybe somebody here knows the answers =D
> >
> > Q1: What are these (two) screws for ? (The manual says HDD, but I don't see a way to attach these to the harddisk bays ?)
> >
> > https://youtu.be/BE6JA-g1RqE?si=DOc9HM9WhtrLbwbX
> With the PDF manual open to page 3, wipe over the area next to the HDD screw.
>
> Screw #6-32 6mm [Four Chinese characters == "Hand rotation screw"]
> x2
> HDD
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case_screws
>
> Example
>
> A regular computer case may require/include[5]
>
> - 7 thumb screw 6-32 × 6 mm for 2.5" drive tray, expansion slots
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The SSD drive tray on your computer case, has a hinge-like feature on
> the bottom, and one 6mm thumbscrew holds the tray to the case when installing it.
>
> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-meg-prospect-700r/images/instssd3.jpg

But it already has one screw in it, plus it looks smaller.

These two screws are the biggest I have ever seen for a PC.

I have no idea what they are for... backup screws perhaps ?

By the way how is the SSD held up/attached ?

> > Q2: What is this screw for ? and
> >
> > Q3: What is this fan cable extension thing ?
> >
> > https://youtu.be/l__XbxwYCQY?si=SGTVyVcC0I_cRdJf
> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-meg-prospect-700r/2.html
>
> "... and a PWM splitter cable"
>
> "a three-fan splitter cable"
>
> It could be this, but, I don't know what the "blob" is for in the cable.
> You will have to take the twist tie off it, and stretch out the
> wiring, if you expect me to guess at this stuff :-)
>
> +12V ---
> PWM ------------+------+------+ How you would drive three fans,
> TACHO ---------+ | | | from one fan header, subject to
> GND -------- | | | | current flow limits on the header
> | | X | X | for +12V
> FAN1 FAN2 FAN3

Fair enough, I will film a closer look.

> > Q4: Why are there three holes in the shroud for the vertical graphics mounting kit ? (can the kit be moved ?)
> >
> > https://youtu.be/Xsn-zXqvQP0?si=PyE3fk53XrtDtrI9
> Maybe start with the MSI "How to mount 4090" to see how the vertical mounter works.
> You won't have the cable assembly, so the odds of you using this are "slim to none".
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yWNEW5luWM
>
> When the gentleman fastens the 4090 to the adapter, and places the adapter
> in the case, there is no chance to be fitting any screws to the tail end
> of the adapter. There might be alignment pins on the vertical mounting plates,
> on the bottom of it, but I am unable to find any pictures of the adapter,
> except for the top side of it (that video).

WOW ! Great find ! So it IS possible to adjust it !

This proves once and for all the PC Case manual is lacking !

I saw a youtuber yesterday and he did not know how to do it, neither would I have known, this is too much of a hidden feature, but potentially a cool one !

Maybe I try it out in the future.

The rizer cable does add some latency.

Perhaps vertical mounting gpu has cooling benefits.

Plus it will be easier on the motherboard (less weight pulling on it, but for now I plan to use the graphics card holder that came with the motherboard.

I kinda don't like the look of vertical graphics card, it obstructs the view, but I do see another benefit; easier to see if graphics card ventilators are spinning, but looking at the spinning constantly might drive me nuts I fear. Plus vertical dust in it ?

However default graphics card position has ventilators on bottom, I fear that might be much worse.

> > Q5: Why make shroud so difficult to remove ? (Must first remove two other parts ?!?) and
> >
> > Q6: Why no holes in back side of the case to vent the backplate area/back of motherboard ?
> >
> > https://youtu.be/UHaM5l6mOlY?si=59TOUiP3WuZIeBpj
> When the back fans are pulling air out of the computer case, would the "gap"
> at the front of the case, bring in some cool air ? Where does that air flow ?

....?

> > Q7: Why not make it such that the top dust filter can be pulled out (easily) ?
> >
> > https://youtu.be/O969qlIE7yQ?si=j2zHNOVuBaVit9rg
> >

> > Q8: Question 8 for MSI, Why is removal of top dust filter inconsistent with the other dust filters ? (screws/pickup vs no screws/slide) (plus feedback)
> >
> > https://youtu.be/ZfP9JW6kw2M

> The Noctua, you might have to remove the center fan, to
> work the screws.

YES !

> I have a cooler for my system, they put
> an "aperture" to fit the usual L-shaped screwdriver,

Funny and sadly enough only the long side of L-screwdriver is usuable.

The short side is stump, unlike one of your pictures.

The short side could have been used to work the ssd heatsink screws underneath the cooler.

I guess somebody at the factory was lazy ;) Quality control issue.

A solution to access the SSD in the future is to remove center fan of cpu cooler, to get long range access to this SSD heatsink screw which is underneath it.

> and
> that was a bitch to fit. I had to get my hands behind the
> heatsink and feel for stuff, to finally get the screw
> to advance. The Noctua should be easier to install.

My version came with different bars than in manual : nm-b4 or something

No hole adjustment, less room for errors.
> Take a picture of how the fan clips fit, so you will
> know later, how to fit it.

Got it on video... pictures would have been nice too, but takes even more time (and piss pain standing up/sitting down)

> With the Noctua, you cannot afford to have too much stuff
> mounted next to the CPU area, to work on it. You need
> room to work. any other vertical structures near it,
> can get in your way.

Yup, maybe RAM modules too versus extra fan, though fan position can be adjusted , even with this wide case not sure if extra fan would fit above RAM modules and not hit case door.

> I have only one fan (center one) in the Noctua D15 on
> my 4930K, because it is (measured) 156W max. Which is 144W
> for VCore roughly, and the rest is VCore transistor waste heat.

If case has good airflow center fan might not even be necessary ...

It's position is smart though, it probably helps blowing out dust between heat fins, though not entirely sure, might also have an opposite effect.

One thing is sure though, it obstructs the view of the beautiful motherboard, that kinda hit me today, but I went for safety and not water/fluid leaks ! ;)

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC Case

<e6fc0011-d6c0-4e33-b475-9d8ebe0ac604n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1533&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1533

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:54:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: skybuckf...@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:54 UTC

This guy didn't know about the adjustable GPU mount:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brE4FugTu5k

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC Case

<ug4eu5$2adnr$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1534&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1534

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:15:48 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 21:15 UTC

On 10/10/2023 4:43 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 6:48:46 AM UTC+2, Paul wrote:

>> The SSD drive tray on your computer case, has a hinge-like feature on
>> the bottom, and one 6mm thumbscrew holds the tray to the case when installing it.
>>
>> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-meg-prospect-700r/images/instssd3.jpg
>
> But it already has one screw in it, plus it looks smaller.
>
> These two screws are the biggest I have ever seen for a PC.
>
> I have no idea what they are for... backup screws perhaps ?
>
> By the way how is the SSD held up/attached ?

The SSD has four screws that hold it to the plate.

You fit the plate to the case, two tabs fit into the case
at the bottom, one screw holds the plate at the top.

*******

If you still cannot figure out what the thumbscrew pair is for,
in the old days, some computer case covers were fastened to the
case with two of those thumbscrews.

Paul

Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC Case

<ug4eq8$1c3oc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1535&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1535

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:13:43 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 21:13 UTC

On 10/10/2023 4:43 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 6:48:46 AM UTC+2, Paul wrote:

>> The SSD drive tray on your computer case, has a hinge-like feature on
>> the bottom, and one 6mm thumbscrew holds the tray to the case when installing it.
>>
>> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-meg-prospect-700r/images/instssd3.jpg
>
> But it already has one screw in it, plus it looks smaller.
>
> These two screws are the biggest I have ever seen for a PC.
>
> I have no idea what they are for... backup screws perhaps ?
>
> By the way how is the SSD held up/attached ?

The SSD has four screws that hold it to the plate.

You fit the plate to the case, two tabs fit into the case
at the bottom, one screw holds the plate at the top.

*******

If you still cannot figure out what the thumbscrew pair is for,
in the old days, some computer case covers were fastened to the
case with two of those thumbscrews.

Paul

Re: 8 Questions for MSI about MEG Prospect 700R PC Case

<80ceaee7-662b-4abe-8c04-c70b54784692n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1536&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1536

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: skybuckf...@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 22:26 UTC

On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 11:15:56 PM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
> On 10/10/2023 4:43 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> > On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 6:48:46 AM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
>
> >> The SSD drive tray on your computer case, has a hinge-like feature on
> >> the bottom, and one 6mm thumbscrew holds the tray to the case when installing it.
> >>
> >> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-meg-prospect-700r/images/instssd3.jpg
> >
> > But it already has one screw in it, plus it looks smaller.
> >
> > These two screws are the biggest I have ever seen for a PC.
> >
> > I have no idea what they are for... backup screws perhaps ?
> >
> > By the way how is the SSD held up/attached ?
> The SSD has four screws that hold it to the plate.

OK, So I'm guessing those 4 screws are on the non-visible/back part of that detacheable plate...

> You fit the plate to the case, two tabs fit into the case
> at the bottom, one screw holds the plate at the top.
>
> *******
>
> If you still cannot figure out what the thumbscrew pair is for,
> in the old days, some computer case covers were fastened to the
> case with two of those thumbscrews.

These seem bigger than thumb screws, would be ugly.

Me still clueless about these 2 super big screws ;)

New videos of my today's progress are uploading, will be published in about 13 hours from now. Today was another nice warm sunny day: 10-10-2023.

I could not have wished for a better date ! ;) Double 10 for success !:

Highlights of today:

1. Motherboard BIOS flashback update to version 1.28 seems a success !
It was very cool with just main internal power cable and no cpu, etc.
The mobo leds came on like a pinball machine, during the update the flashback button itself start blinking green, indicating the bios CREATIVE.ROM file was uploading. I also put a longname textfile on the FAT32, 16 kilobyte quick formatted usbstick, to note the mobo model it was ment for, original bios filename and it's version. Hopefully this extra file doesn't cause any problems and hopefully the mobo and bios works. I won't know for sure until a more complete build. After the blinking stops it is done. Manual mentioned a continues green light would indicate failure/wrong usb port used, kinda odd to use green for that, but maybe it's a one color LED, a multi color led would be a future improvement except for colorblind. I did not notice any debug LEDS come on on mobo, they are very tiny and maybe only lit up if flashing from bios directly after boot+cpu+ram+monitor+menu method.

2. A BIG FAT SCREW DROP SCARE, I thought dropped mobo screw got stuck under mobo heatsink !

3. Dry-running/testing CPU cooler mounting process and CPU ventilater cable position/length/orientation.

4. Beautiful first sight of mobo in PC case, fits well.

5. Color-shifting Mobo leds like a pinball machine.

I think I will use Noctua's paste...

Bye for now,
Skybuck.