From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: What is the SIZE difference between iOS & Android updates?
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 01:29:08 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 01:29 UTC

nospam wrote:

> your original claim was that ios updates
> were always the full 2+ gb, which is wildly incorrect.

It's clear neither Steve nor Carlos, nor nospam, understand how iOS
updates. *Even as it's one of the greatest flaws in iOS*.

Even nospam doesn't understand you measure iOS updates at the factory.
Where the primitive iOS monolith is built & tested before shipping.

At the factory, Apple has to spend _time_ to build the primitive monolith
Even if only a single line of code has to be changed.
The entire monolith needs to be run through the QA suite of tests.

Every single time even a single line of code is changed in the monolith.
No other common consumer operating system but iOS is built that way.

Only iOS.
This is key.

And yet, Steve, Carlos, and certainly nospam don't understand that fact.

As a result of Apple's primitive monolithic release mechanism, the iPhone
not only has the most zero-day holes of any smartphone - but due to the
monolith delay - half are exploited before Apple even finds out about them.

Worse... due to the primitive monolith, Apple can only manage to adequately
patch *one release and one release only* (currently iOS 16).

No other release. Just one.
Due to the primitive monolith.

Re: What is the SIZE difference between iOS & Android updates?

<trs9pu$39pi5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15354&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15354

From: occassio...@nospam.co.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 01:34:05 +0000
 by: Peter - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 01:34 UTC

> nospam wrote:
>
>> your original claim was that ios updates
>> were always the full 2+ gb, which is wildly incorrect.
>
> It's clear neither Steve nor Carlos, nor nospam, understand how iOS
> updates. *Even as it's one of the greatest flaws in iOS*.
>
> Even nospam doesn't understand you measure iOS updates at the factory.
> Where the primitive iOS monolith is built & tested before shipping.
>
> At the factory, Apple has to spend _time_ to build the primitive monolith
> Even if only a single line of code has to be changed.
> The entire monolith needs to be run through the QA suite of tests.
>
> Every single time even a single line of code is changed in the monolith.
> No other common consumer operating system but iOS is built that way.
>
> Only iOS.
> This is key.
>
> And yet, Steve, Carlos, and certainly nospam don't understand that fact.
>
> As a result of Apple's primitive monolithic release mechanism, the iPhone
> not only has the most zero-day holes of any smartphone - but due to the
> monolith delay - half are exploited before Apple even finds out about them.
>
> Worse... due to the primitive monolith, Apple can only manage to adequately
> patch *one release and one release only* (currently iOS 16).
>
> No other release. Just one.
> Due to the primitive monolith.

If only iOS is updated the way you explained and if Android is updated like
a normal operating system, then that's a big difference because it slows
Apple down and prevents Apple from supporting more than one release at a
time.

But if that's so, why doesn't that google Android/iOS comparison document
from sms cover that difference in how the operating systems are built then?

Re: What is the SIZE difference between iOS & Android updates?

<EHvEL.55314$wfQc.22451@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15355&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15355

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 12:16:20 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 17:16 UTC

On 2023-02-06 20:34, Peter wrote:

> If only iOS is updated the way you explained and if Android is updated like
> a normal operating system, then that's a big difference because it slows
> Apple down and prevents Apple from supporting more than one release at a
> time.

Eh?

> But if that's so, why doesn't that google Android/iOS comparison document
> from sms cover that difference in how the operating systems are built then?

Irrelevant compounding irrelevant doesn't get anyone very far.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: What is the SIZE difference between iOS & Android updates?

<tsb77j$1r146$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15381&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15381

From: occassio...@nospam.co.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:22:09 +0000
 by: Peter - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:22 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> But if that's so, why doesn't that google Android/iOS comparison document
>> from sms cover that difference in how the operating systems are built then?
>
> Irrelevant compounding irrelevant doesn't get anyone very far.

Why do you think time wasted sitting on bugfixes is irrelevant?
Sitting on fixed bugs without releases gives exploits more time.

Time is not irrelevant.
The time wasted sitting on fixed bugs is what's meaningful.

It didn't used to be that way in that both Android and iOS had to build a
new release every time that they needed to fix something so they let it go.

They waited.

They fixed a big. But waited for more.
Every operating system did this in the beginning before they knew better.

It's why fixes to Microsoft browsers take as long as they do to get out.
Because Microsoft waits until they have enough fixed to ship a release.

Instead, browsers came out that didn't need to be fixed only at release.
And they were fixed.

When a bug was found in the Microsoft browser, Microsoft waited.
When a bug was found in the Netscape browser, it was shipped right away.

The difference is time.

To be clear, Apple iOS and Android were the same way in the beginning.
Both wasted time waiting for enough bugs to be fixed to warrant a release.

That all changed for Android starting on October 31, 2013 but culminating
on September 3, 2019 when Android started fixing bugs outside the release.

To save time.

How can it not be relevant to give the exploiters less time to exploit?