The herd instinct among economists makes sheep look like independent thinkers.

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

SubjectAuthor
* Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?nw
+- Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?David Robley
`* Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?greymaus
 `* Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?Rich
  `* Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?Henrik Carlqvist
   `* Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?greymaus
    +* Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?Henrik Carlqvist
    |`* Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?greymaus
    | `- Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?Henrik Carlqvist
    `- Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?Alexander Grotewohl

1
Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

<tqfetu$17ju$3@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1529&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1529

From: nw...@nw.nw (nw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 02:25:18 +0100
 by: nw - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 01:25 UTC

Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

Thanks.

Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

<tqflav$2e1b6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1530&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1530

From: dav...@me.invalid (David Robley)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 13:44:52 +1030
 by: David Robley - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 03:14 UTC

On 21/01/2023 11:55, nw wrote:
> Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?
>
> Thanks.
Is the Webmin documentation http://doxfer.webmin.com/Webmin/SSH_Server
of any assistance?

Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

<slrntsn9qh.2e6.greymaus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1531&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1531

From: greym...@dmaus.org (greymaus)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 21 Jan 2023 08:50:25 GMT
 by: greymaus - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 08:50 UTC

On 2023-01-21, nw <nw@nw.nw> wrote:
> Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?
>
> Thanks.

what is Winmin? Use the terminal, it is a sturdier system, and easier to
manage.
--
greymausg@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

<tqh0ug$2labt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1532&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1532

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 15:38:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 15:38 UTC

greymaus <greymaus@dmaus.org> wrote:
> On 2023-01-21, nw <nw@nw.nw> wrote:
>> Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> what is Winmin?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webmin

"Webmin is a powerful and flexible web-based server management
control panel for Unix-like systems. Webmin allows the user to
configure operating system internals, such as users, disk quotas,
services or configuration files, as well as modify and control
open-source apps, such as BIND, Apache HTTP Server, PHP or MySQL."

I.e., a crutch for those who don't know what they are doing.

> Use the terminal, it is a sturdier system, and easier to manage.

Indeed, yes. And given that they posted in a Slackware group, this is
what they *should* be doing anyway.

Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

<tqj2ns$32j2f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1533&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1533

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 10:21:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 10:21 UTC

On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 15:38:56 +0000, Rich wrote:
> "Webmin is a powerful and flexible web-based server management
> control panel for Unix-like systems. Webmin allows the user to
> configure operating system internals, such as users, disk quotas,
> services or configuration files, as well as modify and control
> open-source apps, such as BIND, Apache HTTP Server, PHP or MySQL."
>
> I.e., a crutch for those who don't know what they are doing.
>
> greymaus <greymaus@dmaus.org> wrote:
>> Use the terminal, it is a sturdier system, and easier to manage.
>
> Indeed, yes. And given that they posted in a Slackware group, this is
> what they *should* be doing anyway.

It depends...

Yes, if you are a Slackware user, using your computer as a personal
computer as you want to learn Unix, you should learn how to manage your
computer from the terminal.

Yes, if you are a system administrator, providing Slackware on servers
and workstations used by multiple users, you should know how to manage
all those machines from the command line. This includes stuff like
building and deploying custom packages with software and settings and
connecting those machines in a network with common view of users and some
disks.

But no, if you are using Slackware as a base to build a more or less
embedded product serving some kind of specific purpose like a LAMP-server
or DNS-server for users and administrators in a network not willing or
capable of learning Unix, webmin might be a good choice to manage that
product.

regards Henrik

Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

<slrntsq4kl.6be.greymaus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1534&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1534

From: greym...@dmaus.org (greymaus)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 22 Jan 2023 10:40:21 GMT
 by: greymaus - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 10:40 UTC

On 2023-01-22, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 15:38:56 +0000, Rich wrote:
>> "Webmin is a powerful and flexible web-based server management
>> control panel for Unix-like systems. Webmin allows the user to
>> configure operating system internals, such as users, disk quotas,
>> services or configuration files, as well as modify and control
>> open-source apps, such as BIND, Apache HTTP Server, PHP or MySQL."
>>
>> I.e., a crutch for those who don't know what they are doing.
>>
>> greymaus <greymaus@dmaus.org> wrote:
>>> Use the terminal, it is a sturdier system, and easier to manage.
>>
>> Indeed, yes. And given that they posted in a Slackware group, this is
>> what they *should* be doing anyway.
>
> It depends...
>
> Yes, if you are a Slackware user, using your computer as a personal
> computer as you want to learn Unix, you should learn how to manage your
> computer from the terminal.
>
> Yes, if you are a system administrator, providing Slackware on servers
> and workstations used by multiple users, you should know how to manage
> all those machines from the command line. This includes stuff like
> building and deploying custom packages with software and settings and
> connecting those machines in a network with common view of users and some
> disks.
>
> But no, if you are using Slackware as a base to build a more or less
> embedded product serving some kind of specific purpose like a LAMP-server
> or DNS-server for users and administrators in a network not willing or
> capable of learning Unix, webmin might be a good choice to manage that
> product.
>
> regards Henrik

It seems to me that you would be happier with Windows

--
greymausg@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

<tqjnn7$35st2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1535&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1535

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 16:19:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 16:19 UTC

On Sun, 22 Jan 2023 10:40:21 +0000, greymaus wrote:

> On 2023-01-22, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
>> But no, if you are using Slackware as a base to build a more or less
>> embedded product serving some kind of specific purpose like a
>> LAMP-server or DNS-server for users and administrators in a network not
>> willing or capable of learning Unix, webmin might be a good choice to
>> manage that product.
>>
>> regards Henrik
>
> It seems to me that you would be happier with Windows

No, I would say that Linux is a better choice for embedded systems, for
example a raspberry pi running without any monitor or keyboard connected
and only network interfaces left to manage the device.

Consider such a thing as a smart network switch or a router. On such a
device you will be able to configure things like IP address, time
servers, DNS servers and possibly also local user accounts or connection
to network catalog service like ldap or radius. These things do not have
any ports to connect monitor or keyboard, but mostly they are possible to
configure using a web interface. Sometimes they are possible to configure
using a command line interface very different from a typical linux bash
environment, that command line interface is then usually accessed using a
serial port or possibly ssh.

Do you know of any such a device (network switch or router) that is
powered by Windows? I can point you to a number of such products running
Linux out of the box and third party Linux distributions intended to
replace the firmware of such products.

regards Henrik

Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

<slrntsqtsv.kfr.greymaus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1536&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1536

From: greym...@dmaus.org (greymaus)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 22 Jan 2023 17:51:27 GMT
 by: greymaus - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 17:51 UTC

On 2023-01-22, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2023 10:40:21 +0000, greymaus wrote:
>
>> On 2023-01-22, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
>>> But no, if you are using Slackware as a base to build a more or less
>>> embedded product serving some kind of specific purpose like a
>>> LAMP-server or DNS-server for users and administrators in a network not
>>> willing or capable of learning Unix, webmin might be a good choice to
>>> manage that product.
>>>
>>> regards Henrik
>>
>> It seems to me that you would be happier with Windows
>
> No, I would say that Linux is a better choice for embedded systems, for
> example a raspberry pi running without any monitor or keyboard connected
> and only network interfaces left to manage the device.
>
> Consider such a thing as a smart network switch or a router. On such a
> device you will be able to configure things like IP address, time
> servers, DNS servers and possibly also local user accounts or connection
> to network catalog service like ldap or radius. These things do not have
> any ports to connect monitor or keyboard, but mostly they are possible to
> configure using a web interface. Sometimes they are possible to configure
> using a command line interface very different from a typical linux bash
> environment, that command line interface is then usually accessed using a
> serial port or possibly ssh.
>
> Do you know of any such a device (network switch or router) that is
> powered by Windows? I can point you to a number of such products running
> Linux out of the box and third party Linux distributions intended to
> replace the firmware of such products.
>
> regards Henrik

I know all that, but I think that most newbies, used to Windows, need to
do a lot of reading before using Linux, it is like driving a Ferrari
after driving a Nissan Micro.

--
greymausg@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

<tqjtse$1a7r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1537&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1537

From: alex...@gmail.com (Alexander Grotewohl)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 18:05:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alexander Grotewohl - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 18:05 UTC

On 22 Jan 2023 10:40:21 GMT, greymaus wrote:

> On 2023-01-22, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 15:38:56 +0000, Rich wrote:
>>> "Webmin is a powerful and flexible web-based server management
>>> control panel for Unix-like systems. Webmin allows the user to
>>> configure operating system internals, such as users, disk quotas,
>>> services or configuration files, as well as modify and control
>>> open-source apps, such as BIND, Apache HTTP Server, PHP or MySQL."
>>>
>>> I.e., a crutch for those who don't know what they are doing.

>>> Indeed, yes. And given that they posted in a Slackware group, this is
>>> what they *should* be doing anyway.
>>
>> It depends...
>>
>> Yes, if you are a Slackware user, using your computer as a personal
>> computer as you want to learn Unix, you should learn how to manage your
>> computer from the terminal.
>>
>> Yes, if you are a system administrator, providing Slackware on servers
>> and workstations used by multiple users, you should know how to manage
>> all those machines from the command line. This includes stuff like
>> building and deploying custom packages with software and settings and
>> connecting those machines in a network with common view of users and
>> some disks.
>>
>> But no, if you are using Slackware as a base to build a more or less
>> embedded product serving some kind of specific purpose like a
>> LAMP-server or DNS-server for users and administrators in a network not
>> willing or capable of learning Unix, webmin might be a good choice to
>> manage that product.
>>
>> regards Henrik
>
> It seems to me that you would be happier with Windows

Why are you virtue signaling? Perhaps you would be happier on Reddit

Re: Can Webmin create public/private keys or I need use terminal?

<tqla7p$3gun6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1538&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1538

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 06:42:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 06:42 UTC

On Sun, 22 Jan 2023 17:51:27 +0000, greymaus wrote:
> I know all that, but I think that most newbies, used to Windows, need to
> do a lot of reading before using Linux, it is like driving a Ferrari
> after driving a Nissan Micro.

Yes, that is true. That is exactly why many Linux devices like Android
phones or network equipment come with easy to use interfaces. Most
Android users never care to install any terminal program giving them
access to a bash prompt.

regards Henrik