Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 10:33:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: MSI MEG Prospect 700R idea for Top Fan, let it be controlled by CPU ! ;)
From: skybuckf...@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 17:33 UTC

Now that my build is under way and nearing completion, still have to do 24 cable routing or so... I see that connecting the front top fan power cable is a bit of a problem.

The only solution I see without extra components is to connect it to the CPU FAN2 header, which is kinda a cool idea if it works.

It might allow the CPU to pull more air up away from the GPU, but if the GPU needs it more than the CPU then it might be a bad idea.

I am also wondering if inverting/flipping the front ventilator might allow it to blow air downwards so that cool air is not immediately sucked out.

According to some youtube video this would actually cool down the CPU be 2 degrees celcius, so there is something to be said for it.

The only way to be sure is to test it out, but to test it out I would need a way to "control" the CPU_FAN2 header/setting which is probably possible via the BIOS or some utility.

Interesting times ahead.

Theoretically it goes a little bit against the wisdome that heat goes up, and blowing air from top to bottom is kinda not such a good idea, but there is also something to be said for not sucking in cool air from the front too earlier through the top.

For now I leave all three top fans as is, in the future I might experiment with flipping the top front fan, shouldn't be too difficult to do, not sure how the RGB will look like, maybe the same maybe not.

Another interesting idea is to connect the top front fan ARGB to the motherboard, for special motherboard control.

Maybe it's possible to give the top front fan a different color to indicate what the CPU wants:

Green color = I am ok I don't need more cool air.
Yellow color = I need some more.
Red color = I really need a lot more =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.