My little brother got this fortune: nohup rm -fr /& So he did...

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" when on full speed and top is on...

SubjectAuthor
* Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" when onSkybuck Flying
`* Re: Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" whenPaul
 `* Re: Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" whenSkybuck Flying
  `- Re: Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" whenSkybuck Flying

1
Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" when on full speed and top is on...

<4a24af60-38b2-494a-bf91-5d1d8a56c57an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1546&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1546

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 14:07:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" when on
full speed and top is on...
From: skybuckf...@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 21:07 UTC

A strange thing I ran into:

When top rear ventilator is on "full speed" it starts to rattle, but only when the top of the case is on it, if left off it does not rattle.

I tried re-screwing the screw, losing and tightening.

Nothing seems to help... as soon as the top goes on it starts to rattle a little bit.

Slightly annoying, not a big deal, but definetly weird.

I can run back top rear ventilator at 80% power and then it stops rattling. Less idea during summer me thinks.

The top speed is about 1300 to 1400 RPM. Is this perhaps to high for a top rear ventilator ?!

I am baffled by this...

I also tried oiling the little pins that goes into the case that didn't help.

Soon I will publish some videos of me investigating this issue, kinda dangerous but colorfull, me hanging above colorfull ventilators spinning at top speed and me using a screw driver right above it ! ;) =D

But anyway, my question is:

Have any of you ever run into trouble like this ? A rattling ventilator ?!

Do you find a way to solve it ?!

Maybe the ventilator is just bad at that high top speed or maybe it's a strange thing of this case... hmmm...

I could try and swapping the ventilators, but I feel it's a bit late to start messing with adjustmenst at this point but maybe it can still be done without hurting damaging the rest of the hardware. For now I would like to hear your experiences with "rattling" issues.

For now the issue is probably not big enough to solve... maybe some dust in there over time will solve the rattling issue... maybe not.

Maybe 60% or 80% airflow will be enough to cool this system anyway...

Tomorrow I will try and get the big monitor placed... so I can install windows 11 in an enjoyable and interesting way.

I don't want to do it on the small monitor I have been using so far.

It's stinky as hell, just like my old dreampc2006 ? Maybe deteriorating recycled black plastic. Perhaps bacteria eating in to it. Perhaps something we don't know and is being kept secret ! My initial thought was maybe also some rotten/blown capacitators in monitor, my very first thought was maybe burning dust, but I don't think so.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Re: Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" when on full speed and top is on...

<uhc7hm$13cqg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1548&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1548

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" when
on full speed and top is on...
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 19:15:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 23:15 UTC

On 10/25/2023 5:07 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> A strange thing I ran into:
>
> When top rear ventilator is on "full speed" it starts to rattle, but only when the top of the case is on it, if left off it does not rattle.
>
> I tried re-screwing the screw, losing and tightening.
>
> Nothing seems to help... as soon as the top goes on it starts to rattle a little bit.
>
> Slightly annoying, not a big deal, but definetly weird.
>
> I can run back top rear ventilator at 80% power and then it stops rattling. Less idea during summer me thinks.
>
> The top speed is about 1300 to 1400 RPM. Is this perhaps to high for a top rear ventilator ?!
>
> I am baffled by this...
>
> I also tried oiling the little pins that goes into the case that didn't help.
>
> Soon I will publish some videos of me investigating this issue, kinda dangerous but colorfull, me hanging above colorfull ventilators spinning at top speed and me using a screw driver right above it ! ;) =D
>
> But anyway, my question is:
>
> Have any of you ever run into trouble like this ? A rattling ventilator ?!
>
> Do you find a way to solve it ?!
>
> Maybe the ventilator is just bad at that high top speed or maybe it's a strange thing of this case... hmmm...
>
> I could try and swapping the ventilators, but I feel it's a bit late to start messing with adjustmenst at this point but maybe it can still be done without hurting damaging the rest of the hardware. For now I would like to hear your experiences with "rattling" issues.
>
> For now the issue is probably not big enough to solve... maybe some dust in there over time will solve the rattling issue... maybe not.
>
> Maybe 60% or 80% airflow will be enough to cool this system anyway...
>
> Tomorrow I will try and get the big monitor placed... so I can install windows 11 in an enjoyable and interesting way.
>
> I don't want to do it on the small monitor I have been using so far.
>
> It's stinky as hell, just like my old dreampc2006 ? Maybe deteriorating recycled black plastic. Perhaps bacteria eating in to it. Perhaps something we don't know and is being kept secret ! My initial thought was maybe also some rotten/blown capacitators in monitor, my very first thought was maybe burning dust, but I don't think so.
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

Fans which have sleeve bearings, if the bearings are worn or
loose, they can rattle. Sleeve bearing fans are not really meant
for six-axis operation. Pointing a sleeve bearing fan upwards,
to blow air, that can only work if the fan has a coil spring to
help counter the effects of gravity.

Ball bearing fans work on all axis, but they're a bit more noisy
(3dB), and they will become more noisy as they age.

A fan with an FDB motor or with the term "SSO" in the spec, may
work better. But those could also be more expensive. "Nice fans"
tend to be low air output -- it's pretty hard to find an Ultra
with exotic bearings. An Ultra would usually be a ball bearing fan.

Fans come in four ranges: "Low", "Medium", "High", "Ultra"
and only the first two are useful. The ones on the end are
too noisy and generally need a voltage reducer to make
them tolerable. A Medium is around 35CFM. An Ultra is 110CFM.
A Medium might be used for a case cooler (fan on the back).

If the fan you already have, does not have a CFM (cubic feet per minute)
rating, you can use the current flow as an estimate.

0.15 amps 35CFM \___ very approximate numbers, from memory
1.0 amps 110CFM /

Paul

Re: Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" when on full speed and top is on...

<d0987eca-55b4-413f-8c6d-84e5fcab4926n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1551&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1551

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:10:34 -0700 (PDT)
on full speed and top is on...
From: skybuckf...@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:10 UTC

On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 1:15:06 AM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
> Ball bearing fans work on all axis, but they're a bit more noisy
> (3dB), and they will become more noisy as they age.
>
> A fan with an FDB motor or with the term "SSO" in the spec, may
> work better. But those could also be more expensive. "Nice fans"
> tend to be low air output -- it's pretty hard to find an Ultra
> with exotic bearings. An Ultra would usually be a ball bearing fan.
>
> Fans come in four ranges: "Low", "Medium", "High", "Ultra"
> and only the first two are useful. The ones on the end are
> too noisy and generally need a voltage reducer to make
> them tolerable. A Medium is around 35CFM. An Ultra is 110CFM.
> A Medium might be used for a case cooler (fan on the back).
>
> If the fan you already have, does not have a CFM (cubic feet per minute)
> rating, you can use the current flow as an estimate.
>
> 0.15 amps 35CFM \___ very approximate numbers, from memory

Me interesting theory/story.

I have never heard of "Rifle Bearing" which is the one that is in the top.... hmmm...

I didn't know bearings play a role in orientation... interesting...

Here are the specifications of the top fans I have:

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/sickleflow-140-argb/

Product Number MFX-B4DN-14NPA-R1
Fan Profiles Addressable RGB
Number of LEDs 6pcs
Fan Bearing Type Rifle Bearing
Fan Speed 650-1400 RPM ± 200 RPM
Fan Airflow 67 CFM ± 10%
Fan Air Pressure 2.2 mmH2O ± 10%
Fan Noise Level 10 - 27 dBA
Fan Dimensions (L x W x H) 140 x 140 x 25 mm / 5.5 x 5.5 x 1 inch
Fan MTTF 160,000 Hours
RGB Connector 3-Pin ARGB
RGB Rated Voltage 5 VDC
RGB Rated Current 0.21A
Fan Rated Voltage 12 VDC
Fan Rated Current 0.15A
Fan Safety Current 0.4A
Fan Power Consumption 1.8W
Fan Power Connector 4-Pin (PWM)
Fan Weight 195g / 0.43 lbs
Warranty 2 years
Cooler Type Case Fan
Series SickleFlow
Fan Size 140
Fan - LED Lighting ARGB

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Re: Prospect 700R + SickleFlow Ventilator Top Rear Fan "rattles" when on full speed and top is on...

<98f040d7-e8f0-4fbf-8f61-b29c7399482cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1552&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1552

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:12:06 -0700 (PDT)
on full speed and top is on...
From: skybuckf...@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:12 UTC

Hmm first google turns this up:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/what-is-rifle-bearing-fan.551930/

"
Rifle bearing fans are similar to sleeve bearing, but are quieter and have almost as much lifespan as ball bearings. The bearing has a spiral groove in it that pumps fluid from a reservoir. This allows them to be safely mounted horizontally (unlike sleeve bearings), since the fluid being pumped lubricates the top of the shaft. The pumping also ensures sufficient lubricant on the shaft, reducing noise, and increasing lifespan.
"

I guess I got lucky... with horizontal mounting... otherwise it might have been much worse ?! ;)

Bye for now,
Skybuck.