Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Subject: This old Mac: PRAM reset redux
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 19:57:29 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 00:57 UTC

Lately my iMac's (late 2012 i7 quad-core HT) fan would fire off under
moderate load. Seemed to me to be over the top.

I planned to take it apart and clean out dust which I believed might be
the culprit. Taking apart the iMac is not a light effort: probably 1
hour+ in and out to do it well.

So I decided to do an SMC reset / PRAM reset instead before embarking on
that task.

I began with the PRAM reset.

That seems to have resolved the issue - so didn't bother with the SMC
offset.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: This old Mac: PRAM reset redux

<k726i9F52mgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15467&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15467

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: This old Mac: PRAM reset redux
Date: 11 Mar 2023 02:15:38 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 02:15 UTC

On 2023-03-11, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> Lately my iMac's (late 2012 i7 quad-core HT) fan would fire off under
> moderate load. Seemed to me to be over the top.
>
> I planned to take it apart and clean out dust which I believed might be
> the culprit. Taking apart the iMac is not a light effort: probably 1
> hour+ in and out to do it well.
>
> So I decided to do an SMC reset / PRAM reset instead before embarking on
> that task.
>
> I began with the PRAM reset.
>
> That seems to have resolved the issue - so didn't bother with the SMC
> offset.

Interesting.

JR