From: use...@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Subject: Re: Why is paganini.bofh.team so extremely unreliable?
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 16:54:20 +0100
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:54 UTC

On 09/02/2022 06:07, Bugsy wrote:
> Why is paganini.bofh.team so extremely unreliable?

Hi Bugsy,

I'm really sorry about your bad experience, but thanks to your feedback
I was able to trace the problem by looking at log and msg-id.

Inexplicably every morning from 4 UTC to 6 UTC the innfeed program
(which takes care of sending all the messages received to my peers)
"dies" due to the daily rotation of the logs.

2022-02-09 05:42:50 innfeed: freopen (/var/log/news/innfeed.log, "a",
stdout): Permission denied
2022-02-09 05:42:51 innfeed: freopen (/var/log/news/innfeed.log, "a",
stdout): Permission denied
2022-02-09 05:42:51 innfeed: freopen (/var/log/news/innfeed.log, "a",
stdout): Permission denied
Etc etc etc...

At this time of writing I have patched the system so that if the program
dies, it will restart, and I will be notified so that more info should
happen.

*WARNING @ all* Please report to me "all" the problems you encounter
via email, this makes it much easier for me. I don't always read NGs,
and I may notice problems too late, such as the SPAM avalanche which has
hit days ago my server. Actualy I have stopped them, but any action
still be proactive, but not definitive. Thank's.

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo

Re: Why is paganini.bofh.team so extremely unreliable?

<su14g0$4hr6$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1548&group=alt.free.newsservers#1548

From: bug...@zimage.comBUGSY (Bugsy)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 13:25:40 -0600
 by: Bugsy - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 19:25 UTC

Ivo Gandolfo <usenet@bofh.team> wrote:

> I'm really sorry about your bad experience, but thanks to your feedback
> I was able to trace the problem by looking at log and msg-id.

Hi there our Nicolo Paganini server admin, :->

As just a mere Luser posting my gripes, I hadn't expected a personal
response from you, but I appreciate that you provided that clarification.

To be clear, I can type a post one day, and it will get through, but I can
change nothing else, and another day another similar post won't go through.

On my side the newsreader client says it was sent successfully with no
errors but the post just never shows up in the final peered nntp feed.

> Inexplicably every morning from 4 UTC to 6 UTC the innfeed program
> (which takes care of sending all the messages received to my peers)
> "dies" due to the daily rotation of the logs.

Ah. That may explain why even if I change header stuff, it still fails
after an initial failure if I still use your bofh nntp server.

Thanks for explaining that it was a timing thing, and not a header thing.

> At this time of writing I have patched the system so that if the program
> dies, it will restart, and I will be notified so that more info should
> happen.

Thank you very much as I repeat I had not expected such a kind and
informative response from the bastard operator from hell (so to speak).

> *WARNING @ all* Please report to me "all" the problems you encounter
> via email, this makes it much easier for me. I don't always read NGs,
> and I may notice problems too late, such as the SPAM avalanche which has
> hit days ago my server. Actualy I have stopped them, but any action
> still be proactive, but not definitive. Thank's.

Thanks for that suggestion to use email instead of the a.f.n newsgroup,
which, I'm shocked that this thread isn't already ruined by the trolls.
--
Please wear your mask!
Bugs are everywhere. :)