From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Robocop v. Predator
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 11:02:26 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:02 UTC

Free game? Sure.

Good game? Probably not.

Hilarious? Completely

https://oscarcelestini.itch.io/robocop-vs-predator

....and it's action so it's on topic.

You don't have to thank me.

--
Zag

West of House
There is a small mailbox here.

>read leaflet
"WELCOME TO USENET!

USENET is a game of adventure, danger,
and low cunning. In it you will
explore some of the most amazing
territory ever seen by mortals. No
computer should be without it!"

Re: Robocop v. Predator

<unsbeo$3js0q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15497&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15497

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Robocop v. Predator
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:37:27 -0700
 by: rms - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:37 UTC

>https://oscarcelestini.itch.io/robocop-vs-predator

haha! very good

rms

Re: Robocop v. Predator

<unt1gu$3q5hj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15499&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15499

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:54:06 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 03:54 UTC

On 1/12/24 11:02, Zaghadka wrote:
> Free game? Sure.
>
> Good game? Probably not.
>
> Hilarious? Completely
>
> https://oscarcelestini.itch.io/robocop-vs-predator
>
> ...and it's action so it's on topic.
>
> You don't have to thank me.

Thanks. Itch.io has some really really good games (sandtrix comes to mind).

Of course, it also has my "games", so :)

Re: Robocop v. Predator

<uv65qidq2naohgkj2cq9831m072utmrqpc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15500&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15500

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:29:21 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 14:29 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 11:02:26 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Free game? Sure.
>
>Good game? Probably not.
>
>Hilarious? Completely
>
>https://oscarcelestini.itch.io/robocop-vs-predator

They're obviously emulating the 8-bit handheld (Gameboy) genre, a type
of game for which I have absolutely /no/ nostalgia. Being limited by
console hardware - in that era, that mostly meant incredibly tight
memory space - was bad enough even before you further restricted
yourself just to make the game mobile. I've always enjoyed the bigger
and more expansive games so the entire mobile genre has always been
somewhat anethema to me.

That said, for what it is the game actually looks fairly good. I am
actually somewhat surprised there never was an official Robocop vs
Predator game, given the proliferation of related media and similar
games during that era. So the game apes the era as well as the
technology quite well.

Is it a good game? I can't judge. Even at their best, the
shooter/platformer genre was never top-tier for me. It certainly
wouldn't be the sort of game I would have fun with. But it's made with
a definite love of that style of game, so I'm willing to give it the
benefit of the doubt.

Not that I will be adding it to my library. Even my love of The Number
can only take me so far...

Re: Robocop v. Predator

<unuaip$3vqp1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15501&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#15501

From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:34:49 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:34 UTC

On 1/13/2024 3:29 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 11:02:26 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Free game? Sure.
>>
>> Good game? Probably not.
>>
>> Hilarious? Completely
>>
>> https://oscarcelestini.itch.io/robocop-vs-predator
>>

> They're obviously emulating the 8-bit handheld (Gameboy) genre, a type
> of game for which I have absolutely /no/ nostalgia. Being limited by
> console hardware - in that era, that mostly meant incredibly tight
> memory space - was bad enough even before you further restricted
> yourself just to make the game mobile. I've always enjoyed the bigger
> and more expansive games so the entire mobile genre has always been
> somewhat anethema to me.

I have nostalgia for Tetris and Super Mario Land, and that was when I
stopped borrowing my neighbour's Gameboy. I never had one of them
myself, and I find myself somewhat mystified what made those games
actually enjoyable nowadays. But I guess other people think the same
about my fondness for the Sega Master System.

> That said, for what it is the game actually looks fairly good. I am
> actually somewhat surprised there never was an official Robocop vs
> Predator game, given the proliferation of related media and similar
> games during that era. So the game apes the era as well as the
> technology quite well.

There were multiple Aliens vs. Predators games, I guess mostly because
the aliens showed up as trophies in Predator 2. That most likely gave
that whole idea wings, while other crossovers were limited to comics.
Dark Horse Comics had a whole series of ever more complicated
crossovers, it might even be that this combination was part of it.
Couldn't swear on it though, and the writing never was that great.