Beam me up, Scotty! It ate my phaser!

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

SubjectAuthor
* Trouble with Finder under VenturaJ Burns
+* Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturagtr
|+- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJoerg Lorenz
|+- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
|`* Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturajohnson
| `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJoerg Lorenz
|  `* Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturanospam
|   `- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJoerg Lorenz
`* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
 `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJoerg Lorenz
  `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
   `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJ Burns
    `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
     `* Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturanospam
      `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
       +* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan
       |`* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
       | `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan
       |  +- Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturanospam
       |  `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
       |   +- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan
       |   `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJolly Roger
       |    `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
       |     `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJolly Roger
       |      `- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
       `* Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturanospam
        +- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
        `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJoerg Lorenz
         `- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne

Pages:12
Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tuodtf$22a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15489&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15489

From: bur...@nospam.com (J Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Trouble with Finder under Ventura
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 20:08:13 -0400
 by: J Burns - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 00:08 UTC

After I upgraded to Ventura, I began having Finder problems. Favorites
would disappear from Finder sidebars. (That has happened before Ventura,
but the following are new to me.)

I'm likely to keep several Finder windows open, and sometimes one or
more will jump to the highest level, labeled "Burns mini."

On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable to find anything in
Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder window for documents
wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting restored operation.

Disk First Aid says everything's fine. Cycling through Safe Start didn't
prevent recurrence.

Any advice?

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tuuaq8$19rt1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15563&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15563

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 05:52:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 05:52 UTC

On Mar 13, 2023 at 5:08:13 PM PDT, "J Burns" <burns@nospam.com> wrote:

> After I upgraded to Ventura, I began having Finder problems. Favorites
> would disappear from Finder sidebars. (That has happened before Ventura,
> but the following are new to me.)
>
> I'm likely to keep several Finder windows open, and sometimes one or
> more will jump to the highest level, labeled "Burns mini."
>
> On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable to find anything in
> Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder window for documents
> wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting restored operation.
>
> Disk First Aid says everything's fine. Cycling through Safe Start didn't
> prevent recurrence.
>
> Any advice?

Generic: Reinstall the OS.

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tuue3g$22qda$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15564&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15564

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 07:48:16 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 06:48 UTC

Am 16.03.23 um 06:52 schrieb gtr:
> On Mar 13, 2023 at 5:08:13 PM PDT, "J Burns" <burns@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> After I upgraded to Ventura, I began having Finder problems. Favorites
>> would disappear from Finder sidebars. (That has happened before Ventura,
>> but the following are new to me.)
>>
>> I'm likely to keep several Finder windows open, and sometimes one or
>> more will jump to the highest level, labeled "Burns mini."
>>
>> On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable to find anything in
>> Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder window for documents
>> wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting restored operation.
>>
>> Disk First Aid says everything's fine. Cycling through Safe Start didn't
>> prevent recurrence.
>>
>> Any advice?
>
> Generic: Reinstall the OS.

+1
Radical but will most probably solve the issue if the hardware is still
ok. What could be tested beforehand: A new user-account on the current
system.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<YZFQL.1914730$GNG9.616919@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15566&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15566

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 10:47:20 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 14:47 UTC

On 2023-03-13 20:08, J Burns wrote:
> After I upgraded to Ventura, I began having Finder problems. Favorites
> would disappear from Finder sidebars. (That has happened before Ventura,
> but the following are new to me.)
>
> I'm likely to keep several Finder windows open, and sometimes one or
> more will jump to the highest level, labeled "Burns mini."
>
> On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable to find anything in
> Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder window for documents
> wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting restored operation.
>
> Disk First Aid says everything's fine. Cycling through Safe Start didn't
> prevent recurrence.
>
> Any advice?

First off,
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchlp2962/mac

and then possibly:

Re-build the spotlight index might help:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201716

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<q_FQL.1914731$GNG9.1599264@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15567&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15567

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 10:47:50 -0400

On 2023-03-16 01:52, gtr wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2023 at 5:08:13 PM PDT, "J Burns" <burns@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> After I upgraded to Ventura, I began having Finder problems. Favorites
>> would disappear from Finder sidebars. (That has happened before Ventura,
>> but the following are new to me.)
>>
>> I'm likely to keep several Finder windows open, and sometimes one or
>> more will jump to the highest level, labeled "Burns mini."
>>
>> On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable to find anything in
>> Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder window for documents
>> wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting restored operation.
>>
>> Disk First Aid says everything's fine. Cycling through Safe Start didn't
>> prevent recurrence.
>>
>> Any advice?
>
> Generic: Reinstall the OS.

Last resort. There are other steps to take. See my other post.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<JrHQL.3031034$nwq3.2565891@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15568&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15568

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: roo...@example.net (johnson)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 16:27:21 GMT
 by: johnson - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 16:27 UTC

On 2023-03-16, gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2023 at 5:08:13 PM PDT, "J Burns" <burns@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> After I upgraded to Ventura, I began having Finder problems. Favorites
>> would disappear from Finder sidebars. (That has happened before Ventura,
>> but the following are new to me.)
>>
>> I'm likely to keep several Finder windows open, and sometimes one or
>> more will jump to the highest level, labeled "Burns mini."
>>
>> On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable to find anything in
>> Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder window for documents
>> wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting restored operation.
>>
>> Disk First Aid says everything's fine. Cycling through Safe Start didn't
>> prevent recurrence.
>>
>> Any advice?
>
> Generic: Reinstall the OS.

This is only applicable to Intel Macs without T2

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tuvhna$23cn1$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15569&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15569

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:56:10 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 16:56 UTC

Am 16.03.23 um 17:27 schrieb johnson:
> On 2023-03-16, gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:
>> On Mar 13, 2023 at 5:08:13 PM PDT, "J Burns" <burns@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> After I upgraded to Ventura, I began having Finder problems. Favorites
>>> would disappear from Finder sidebars. (That has happened before Ventura,
>>> but the following are new to me.)
>>>
>>> I'm likely to keep several Finder windows open, and sometimes one or
>>> more will jump to the highest level, labeled "Burns mini."
>>>
>>> On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable to find anything in
>>> Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder window for documents
>>> wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting restored operation.
>>>
>>> Disk First Aid says everything's fine. Cycling through Safe Start didn't
>>> prevent recurrence.
>>>
>>> Any advice?
>>
>> Generic: Reinstall the OS.
>
> This is only applicable to Intel Macs without T2

WTF is T2?
The OS is always reinstallable.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tuvhqp$23cn1$2@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15570&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15570

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:58:01 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 16:58 UTC

Am 16.03.23 um 15:47 schrieb Alan Browne:
> On 2023-03-13 20:08, J Burns wrote:
>> After I upgraded to Ventura, I began having Finder problems. Favorites
>> would disappear from Finder sidebars. (That has happened before Ventura,
>> but the following are new to me.)
>>
>> I'm likely to keep several Finder windows open, and sometimes one or
>> more will jump to the highest level, labeled "Burns mini."
>>
>> On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable to find anything in
>> Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder window for documents
>> wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting restored operation.
>>
>> Disk First Aid says everything's fine. Cycling through Safe Start didn't
>> prevent recurrence.
>>
>> Any advice?
>
> First off,
> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchlp2962/mac

Hä?

> and then possibly:
>
> Re-build the spotlight index might help:
> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201716

Sorry?

Are you sure you understand the OPs problem?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<160320231306218987%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15571&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15571

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 13:06:21 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:06 UTC

In article <tuvhna$23cn1$1@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> >> Generic: Reinstall the OS.
> >
> > This is only applicable to Intel Macs without T2
>
> WTF is T2?

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208862>
The Apple T2 Security Chip is Apple's second-generation, custom
silicon for Mac. The T2 chip delivers capabilities to your Mac, such
as encrypted storage and secure boot capabilities, enhanced image
signal processing, and security for Touch ID data. Learn more about
hardware security in Apple devices.

> The OS is always reinstallable.

true, but it doesn't always fix problems.

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<N8IQL.1057158$gGD7.311956@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15572&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15572

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 13:15:25 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:15 UTC

On 2023-03-16 12:58, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 16.03.23 um 15:47 schrieb Alan Browne:
>> On 2023-03-13 20:08, J Burns wrote:
>>> After I upgraded to Ventura, I began having Finder problems. Favorites
>>> would disappear from Finder sidebars. (That has happened before Ventura,
>>> but the following are new to me.)
>>>
>>> I'm likely to keep several Finder windows open, and sometimes one or
>>> more will jump to the highest level, labeled "Burns mini."
>>>
>>> On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable to find anything in
>>> Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder window for documents
>>> wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting restored operation.
>>>
>>> Disk First Aid says everything's fine. Cycling through Safe Start didn't
>>> prevent recurrence.
>>>
>>> Any advice?
>>
>> First off,
>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchlp2962/mac
>
> Hä?
>
>> and then possibly:
>>
>> Re-build the spotlight index might help:
>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201716
>
> Sorry?
>
> Are you sure you understand the OPs problem?

I keyed on what he wrote: "On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable
to find anything in Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder
window for documents wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting
restored operation."

So before doing anything as drastic as an OS re-install, I'd go to
simpler steps as above (and possibly others).

Mac OS is a massive, complex beast. And often things you don't expect
to be related are related in some non-obvious or obscure way deep under
the hood. Spotlight and Finder are related functions once you go deep
enough.

Another thing he could try is to Re-Launch Finder.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tuvjgd$23cn0$2@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15573&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15573

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 18:26:37 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:26 UTC

Am 16.03.23 um 18:06 schrieb nospam:

>>> This is only applicable to Intel Macs without T2
>>
>> WTF is T2?
>
> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208862>
> The Apple T2 Security Chip is Apple's second-generation, custom
> silicon for Mac. The T2 chip delivers capabilities to your Mac, such
> as encrypted storage and secure boot capabilities, enhanced image
> signal processing, and security for Touch ID data. Learn more about
> hardware security in Apple devices.
>
>> The OS is always reinstallable.
>
> true, but it doesn't always fix problems.

That's true too. In most of these cases it is a hardware issue.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tv29fh$22mag$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15576&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15576

From: bur...@nospam.com (J Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 13:53:50 -0400
 by: J Burns - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:53 UTC

On 3/16/23 1:15 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-03-16 12:58, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>> Sorry?
>>
>> Are you sure you understand the OPs problem?
>
> I keyed on what he wrote: "On three occasions, Spotlight has been unable
> to find anything in Documents. On one of those occasions, the Finder
> window for documents wouldn't open. On those occasions, restarting
> restored operation."
>
> So before doing anything as drastic as an OS re-install, I'd go to
> simpler steps as above (and possibly others).
>
> Mac OS is a massive, complex beast.  And often things you don't expect
> to be related are related in some non-obvious or obscure way deep under
> the hood.  Spotlight and Finder are related functions once you go deep
> enough.
>
> Another thing he could try is to Re-Launch Finder.

I wanted to relaunch Finder but didn't see how to do it in Ventura.

The last time I had trouble, I could still find a document by opening
the Finder window, but Spotlight was blind to Documents. When I
restarted, Spotlight said it was indexing. It finished so fast that I
think maybe it needed to index only Documents.

Maybe I found the problem. A neighbor asked me to set up my Mac to text
with his iPhone. December 15, I installed Texty from the App Store. I
told him if he would scan the identifier (NFT?) on my screen, we'd be
all set. He said that would be too much trouble.

December 15 was about the time I started having trouble. I don't know
how Texty could mess up Finder, but I got rid of it.

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<_U2RL.1057236$gGD7.824172@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15577&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15577

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 15:08:42 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:08 UTC

On 2023-03-17 13:53, J Burns wrote:
> On 3/16/23 1:15 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2023-03-16 12:58, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>
>>> Sorry?
>>>
>>> Are you sure you understand the OPs problem?
>>
>> I keyed on what he wrote: "On three occasions, Spotlight has been
>> unable to find anything in Documents. On one of those occasions, the
>> Finder window for documents wouldn't open. On those occasions,
>> restarting restored operation."
>>
>> So before doing anything as drastic as an OS re-install, I'd go to
>> simpler steps as above (and possibly others).
>>
>> Mac OS is a massive, complex beast.  And often things you don't expect
>> to be related are related in some non-obvious or obscure way deep
>> under the hood.  Spotlight and Finder are related functions once you
>> go deep enough.
>>
>> Another thing he could try is to Re-Launch Finder.
>>

> I wanted to relaunch Finder but didn't see how to do it in Ventura.

Three ways:

1)
- hold down the option key
- right click (two finger touch on trackpads) on Finder in the dock
Relaunch will be the bottom of the popup list

2)
CMD-option-ESC
Select finder
Hit Relaunch

3)
in terminal

killall Finder

(Uppercase F).

> The last time I had trouble, I could still find a document by opening
> the Finder window, but Spotlight was blind to Documents. When I
> restarted, Spotlight said it was indexing. It finished so fast that I
> think maybe it needed to index only Documents.
>
> Maybe I found the problem. A neighbor asked me to set up my Mac to text
> with his iPhone. December 15, I installed Texty from the App Store. I
> told him if he would scan the identifier (NFT?) on my screen, we'd be
> all set. He said that would be too much trouble.
>
> December 15 was about the time I started having trouble. I don't know
> how Texty could mess up Finder, but I got rid of it.

Report back when you know please. Thx.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<170320231535108671%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15578&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15578

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 15:35:10 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:35 UTC

In article <_U2RL.1057236$gGD7.824172@fx11.iad>, Alan Browne
<bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> 1)
> - hold down the option key
> - right click (two finger touch on trackpads) on Finder in the dock
> Relaunch will be the bottom of the popup list

control-option-click on finder dock icon is easier.

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<W85RL.1105110$Tcw8.505340@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15579&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15579

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:42:14 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 21:42 UTC

On 2023-03-17 15:35, nospam wrote:
> In article <_U2RL.1057236$gGD7.824172@fx11.iad>, Alan Browne
> <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>> 1)
>> - hold down the option key
>> - right click (two finger touch on trackpads) on Finder in the dock
>> Relaunch will be the bottom of the popup list
>
> control-option-click on finder dock icon is easier.

Didn't know that one. IAC the occasions that I have to relaunch finder
seem rarer and rarer as the OS marches on. Really only do that to clear
the Trash "something in there" icon when it is in fact empty.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tv2npt$24lim$6@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15580&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15580

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 14:58:21 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 21:58 UTC

On 2023-03-17 14:42, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-03-17 15:35, nospam wrote:
>> In article <_U2RL.1057236$gGD7.824172@fx11.iad>, Alan Browne
>> <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 1)
>>> - hold down the option key
>>> - right click (two finger touch on trackpads) on Finder in the dock
>>> Relaunch will be the bottom of the popup list
>>
>> control-option-click on finder dock icon is easier.
>
> Didn't know that one.  IAC the occasions that I have to relaunch finder
> seem rarer and rarer as the OS marches on.  Really only do that to clear
> the Trash "something in there" icon when it is in fact empty.

It's the same thing.

The "context" click with a Mac can be achieved with:

Right-click on a two(or more)-button mouse.

Two-finger click on a trackpad (if it's been turned on)

Control-click with a one-button mouse or with one finger on a trackpad.

The Dock specifically also responds to click-and-hold.

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<170320231801194813%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15581&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15581

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 18:01:19 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:01 UTC

In article <W85RL.1105110$Tcw8.505340@fx10.iad>, Alan Browne
<bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> >> - hold down the option key
> >> - right click (two finger touch on trackpads) on Finder in the dock
> >> Relaunch will be the bottom of the popup list
> >
> > control-option-click on finder dock icon is easier.
>
> Didn't know that one. IAC the occasions that I have to relaunch finder
> seem rarer and rarer as the OS marches on. Really only do that to clear
> the Trash "something in there" icon when it is in fact empty.

it's not unique to finder relaunching.

control-click, two-finger press and secondary-button click (aka
right-click), are different ways to get a contextual menu, which in
this case, adds the relaunch option.

note that the primary and secondary buttons can be reversed for
left-handed users, in which case it would be a left-click for a
contextual menu, and the trackpad also has options, such as tapping in
the corner.

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tu5RL.349276$5CY7.146127@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15582&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15582

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 18:05:13 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:05 UTC

On 2023-03-17 17:58, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-03-17 14:42, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2023-03-17 15:35, nospam wrote:

>>> control-option-click on finder dock icon is easier.
>>
>> Didn't know that one.  IAC the occasions that I have to relaunch
>> finder seem rarer and rarer as the OS marches on.  Really only do that
>> to clear the Trash "something in there" icon when it is in fact empty.
>>

> It's the same thing.
>
> The "context" click with a Mac can be achieved with:
>
> Right-click on a two(or more)-button mouse.
>
> Two-finger click on a trackpad (if it's been turned on)
>
> Control-click with a one-button mouse or with one finger on a trackpad.
>
> The Dock specifically also responds to click-and-hold.

In short, where for most apps where such accesses the sometimes useful
"Force Quit" in Finder it's "Relaunch".

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<%u5RL.349277$5CY7.161377@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15583&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15583

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 18:05:47 -0400

On 2023-03-17 18:01, nospam wrote:

>>> control-option-click on finder dock icon is easier.
>>
>> Didn't know that one. IAC the occasions that I have to relaunch finder
>> seem rarer and rarer as the OS marches on. Really only do that to clear
>> the Trash "something in there" icon when it is in fact empty.
>
> it's not unique to finder relaunching.
>
> control-click, two-finger press and secondary-button click (aka
> right-click), are different ways to get a contextual menu, which in
> this case, adds the relaunch option.

I do use it with other apps - usually to access: Force Quit.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tv2oo7$24lim$9@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15584&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15584

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 15:14:31 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:14 UTC

On 2023-03-17 15:05, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-03-17 17:58, Alan wrote:

>>> Didn't know that one.  IAC the occasions that I have to relaunch
>>> finder seem rarer and rarer as the OS marches on.  Really only do
>>> that to clear the Trash "something in there" icon when it is in fact
>>> empty.
>>>

>> It's the same thing.
>>
>> The "context" click with a Mac can be achieved with:
>>
>> Right-click on a two(or more)-button mouse.
>>
>> Two-finger click on a trackpad (if it's been turned on)
>>
>> Control-click with a one-button mouse or with one finger on a trackpad.
>>
>> The Dock specifically also responds to click-and-hold.
>
> In short, where for most apps where such accesses the sometimes useful
> "Force Quit" in Finder it's "Relaunch".

Correct, because macOS is (accurately) letting you know that it won't
allow you to leave the Finder not running

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<170320231821116353%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15585&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15585

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 18:21:11 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:21 UTC

In article <tv2oo7$24lim$9@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> > In short, where for most apps where such accesses the sometimes useful
> > "Force Quit" in Finder it's "Relaunch".
> >

> Correct, because macOS is (accurately) letting you know that it won't
> allow you to leave the Finder not running

unless manually overridden by adding a quit menu item and later using
that menu item to quit it. however, that's a really bad idea.

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<sL5RL.349772$5CY7.234297@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15586&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15586

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 18:23:19 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:23 UTC

On 2023-03-17 18:14, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-03-17 15:05, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> It's the same thing.
>>>
>>> The "context" click with a Mac can be achieved with:
>>>
>>> Right-click on a two(or more)-button mouse.
>>>
>>> Two-finger click on a trackpad (if it's been turned on)
>>>
>>> Control-click with a one-button mouse or with one finger on a trackpad.
>>>
>>> The Dock specifically also responds to click-and-hold.
>>
>> In short, where for most apps where such accesses the sometimes useful
>> "Force Quit" in Finder it's "Relaunch".
>>

> Correct, because macOS is (accurately) letting you know that it won't
> allow you to leave the Finder not running

You can run Mac OS with Finder stopped. There's no great reason to do
so. But you can. (At least you could back when I did it - Leopard?).
They "relaunch" it so that people won't have to then figure out how to
get it going again ...

IIRC the one who pointed this out was Jolly Roger.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tv2piv$24lim$12@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15587&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15587

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 15:28:47 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:28 UTC

On 2023-03-17 15:23, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-03-17 18:14, Alan wrote:

>>> In short, where for most apps where such accesses the sometimes
>>> useful "Force Quit" in Finder it's "Relaunch".
>>>

>> Correct, because macOS is (accurately) letting you know that it won't
>> allow you to leave the Finder not running
>
> You can run Mac OS with Finder stopped.

I'm not disagreeing with that.

> There's no great reason to do
> so.  But you can.  (At least you could back when I did it - Leopard?).
> They "relaunch" it so that people won't have to then figure out how to
> get it going again ...
>
> IIRC the one who pointed this out was Jolly Roger.

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<k7k9sbFtftrU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15588&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15588

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 17 Mar 2023 23:02:35 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 23:02 UTC

On 2023-03-17, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-17 18:14, Alan wrote:
>> On 2023-03-17 15:05, Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>> Correct, because macOS is (accurately) letting you know that it won't
>> allow you to leave the Finder not running
>
> You can run Mac OS with Finder stopped. There's no great reason to do
> so. But you can. (At least you could back when I did it - Leopard?).
> They "relaunch" it so that people won't have to then figure out how to
> get it going again ...
>
> IIRC the one who pointed this out was Jolly Roger.

Last I checked, the most common reason for running without Finder was
while using an alternative file browser such as Path Finder:

<https://www.cocoatech.io>

JR

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<Go6RL.172525$OD18.73317@fx08.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15589&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15589

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:07:18 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 23:07 UTC

On 2023-03-17 19:02, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-03-17, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-03-17 18:14, Alan wrote:
>>> On 2023-03-17 15:05, Alan Browne wrote:
>>>
>>> Correct, because macOS is (accurately) letting you know that it won't
>>> allow you to leave the Finder not running
>>
>> You can run Mac OS with Finder stopped. There's no great reason to do
>> so. But you can. (At least you could back when I did it - Leopard?).
>> They "relaunch" it so that people won't have to then figure out how to
>> get it going again ...
>>
>> IIRC the one who pointed this out was Jolly Roger.
>
> Last I checked, the most common reason for running without Finder was
> while using an alternative file browser such as Path Finder:
>
> <https://www.cocoatech.io>

Looks pretty powerful. I'm not a fan of rental ware, but when I get my
new iMac I might try this.