Weekends were made for programming. -- Karl Lehenbauer

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

SubjectAuthor
* Trouble with Finder under VenturaJ Burns
+* Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturagtr
|+- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJoerg Lorenz
|+- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
|`* Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturajohnson
| `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJoerg Lorenz
|  `* Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturanospam
|   `- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJoerg Lorenz
`* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
 `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJoerg Lorenz
  `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
   `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJ Burns
    `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
     `* Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturanospam
      `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
       +* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan
       |`* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
       | `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan
       |  +- Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturanospam
       |  `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
       |   +- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan
       |   `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJolly Roger
       |    `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
       |     `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJolly Roger
       |      `- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
       `* Re: Trouble with Finder under Venturanospam
        +- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne
        `* Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaJoerg Lorenz
         `- Re: Trouble with Finder under VenturaAlan Browne

Pages:12
Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<k7l3dgF2lcfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15590&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15590

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura
Date: 18 Mar 2023 06:18:24 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 06:18 UTC

On 2023-03-17, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-17 19:02, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> You can run Mac OS with Finder stopped. There's no great reason to
>>> do so. But you can. (At least you could back when I did it -
>>> Leopard?). They "relaunch" it so that people won't have to then
>>> figure out how to get it going again ...
>>>
>>> IIRC the one who pointed this out was Jolly Roger.
>>
>> Last I checked, the most common reason for running without Finder was
>> while using an alternative file browser such as Path Finder:
>>
>> <https://www.cocoatech.io>
>
> Looks pretty powerful. I'm not a fan of rental ware, but when I get
> my new iMac I might try this.

They do have a special 1-year license, and even with a subscription the
latest version of the subscription continues to run even if you cancel
the subscription.

JR

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<tv3ugh$25gvs$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15591&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15591

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 09:58:57 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 08:58 UTC

Am 17.03.23 um 23:01 schrieb nospam:

>>> control-option-click on finder dock icon is easier.
>>
>> Didn't know that one. IAC the occasions that I have to relaunch finder
>> seem rarer and rarer as the OS marches on. Really only do that to clear
>> the Trash "something in there" icon when it is in fact empty.
>
> it's not unique to finder relaunching.
>
> control-click, two-finger press and secondary-button click (aka
> right-click), are different ways to get a contextual menu, which in
> this case, adds the relaunch option.
>
> note that the primary and secondary buttons can be reversed for
> left-handed users, in which case it would be a left-click for a
> contextual menu, and the trackpad also has options, such as tapping in
> the corner.

If it is necessary I use Force Quit because the Finder restarts
immediately.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<VAjRL.1074527$gGD7.733516@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15592&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15592

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 10:07:49 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 14:07 UTC

On 2023-03-18 02:18, Jolly Roger wrote:
> They do have a special 1-year license, and even with a subscription the
> latest version of the subscription continues to run even if you cancel
> the subscription.

I'll definitely look into it. Indeed - pre-transfer of all my data to
the new iMac (or Mac Mini or Studio ...), I'll probably spend a lot of
time cleaning up my files.
This could be a great tool to use for that exercise.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: Trouble with Finder under Ventura

<GBjRL.1074528$gGD7.456238@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15593&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15593

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 10:08:38 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 14:08 UTC

On 2023-03-18 04:58, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 17.03.23 um 23:01 schrieb nospam:

>>> Didn't know that one. IAC the occasions that I have to relaunch finder
>>> seem rarer and rarer as the OS marches on. Really only do that to clear
>>> the Trash "something in there" icon when it is in fact empty.
>>
>> it's not unique to finder relaunching.
>>
>> control-click, two-finger press and secondary-button click (aka
>> right-click), are different ways to get a contextual menu, which in
>> this case, adds the relaunch option.
>>
>> note that the primary and secondary buttons can be reversed for
>> left-handed users, in which case it would be a left-click for a
>> contextual menu, and the trackpad also has options, such as tapping in
>> the corner.
>
> If it is necessary I use Force Quit because the Finder restarts
> immediately.

It takes a "special" effort to get Finder to not restart immediately ...