Pournelle must die!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

SubjectAuthor
* Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'The Real Bev
+- Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'Carlos E.R.
`* Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'Ken Blake
 +* Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'The Real Bev
 |+* Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'Carlos E.R.
 ||+- Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'The Real Bev
 ||`* Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'micky
 || +- Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'micky
 || `- Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'Carlos E.R.
 |`* Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'Ken Blake
 | +- Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'Frank Slootweg
 | `- Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'The Real Bev
 `* Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'Andy Burns
  `* Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'Ken Blake
   `- Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'Java Jive

1
Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<s7pc9u$39c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15613&group=comp.mobile.android#15613

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 13:52:12 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 15 May 2021 20:52 UTC

NEW cars can do it via bluetooth, which would be absolutely lovely.

I can send my phonecall-stuff via bluetooth to my 2013 Corolla
"entertainment system", but I tried several apps to send android apps to
it -- all failures. It may not be possible to do this with my car, and
I have an email in to the local service people, but has anyone ever
found something that might work?

It was SO nice in the rental car. Who knew?

--
Cheers, Bev
The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<vls5nh-sg9.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15614&group=comp.mobile.android#15614

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 23:56:38 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 15 May 2021 21:56 UTC

On 15/05/2021 22.52, The Real Bev wrote:
> NEW cars can do it via bluetooth, which would be absolutely lovely.

Not exactly. The connection is initiated with Bluetooth, but it then
switches to WiFi for the larger bandwidth required. The BT is used to
transmit ad hoc credentials. I understand both radios are handled in the
same chip.

> I can send my phonecall-stuff via bluetooth to my 2013 Corolla
> "entertainment system", but I tried several apps to send android apps to
> it -- all failures.  It may not be possible to do this with my car, and
> I have an email in to the local service people, but has anyone ever
> found something that might work?
>
> It was SO nice in the rental car.  Who knew?

The car needs to run "android car". Not the app, but special firmware.
And the system connects to the phone via USB (or BT if both the car and
the phone supports the needed protocol). Then the phone runs "android car".

Some phone apps are compatible and appear in the car display, and others
are not. For instance, VLC is, for audio at least. OSMand is not.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<igb180FkouiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15616&group=comp.mobile.android#15616

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 15:45:19 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 15 May 2021 22:45 UTC

On 5/15/2021 1:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> NEW cars can do it via bluetooth, which would be absolutely lovely.
>
> I can send my phonecall-stuff via bluetooth to my 2013 Corolla
> "entertainment system", but I tried several apps to send android apps to
> it -- all failures. It may not be possible to do this with my car, and
> I have an email in to the local service people, but has anyone ever
> found something that might work?
>
> It was SO nice in the rental car. Who knew?

I have a 2020 Camry. Using bluetooth, I can make and receive phone calls
on the car's screen, but I also can not get Google maps to it. As far
as I know, it's not possible (although it might be possible in the 2021s).

If you find a way to do, post it here. I'd like to do that too.

--
Ken

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<s7q20g$ids$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15618&group=comp.mobile.android#15618

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 20:02:38 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 16 May 2021 03:02 UTC

On 05/15/2021 03:45 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 5/15/2021 1:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> NEW cars can do it via bluetooth, which would be absolutely lovely.
>>
>> I can send my phonecall-stuff via bluetooth to my 2013 Corolla
>> "entertainment system", but I tried several apps to send android apps to
>> it -- all failures. It may not be possible to do this with my car, and
>> I have an email in to the local service people, but has anyone ever
>> found something that might work?
>>
>> It was SO nice in the rental car. Who knew?

Daughter mentioned Airplay. She has an iPhone.

> I have a 2020 Camry. Using bluetooth, I can make and receive phone calls
> on the car's screen, but I also can not get Google maps to it. As far
> as I know, it's not possible (although it might be possible in the 2021s).

An appropriate google app offered a car compatibility check. No Corolla
older than 2020 was compatible. I tried a few others with no success.
I suspect that my 'entertainment system' is text-only -- just like
monitors used to be!

> If you find a way to do, post it here. I'd like to do that too.

I suppose I could find or devise some sort of mount for an Android
tablet, but that seems less desirable.

--
Cheers, Bev
"We thought about one of those discount store caskets, but,

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<6m87nh-619.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15626&group=comp.mobile.android#15626

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 12:27:50 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 16 May 2021 10:27 UTC

On 16/05/2021 05.02, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 05/15/2021 03:45 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On 5/15/2021 1:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> NEW cars can do it via bluetooth, which would be absolutely lovely.
>>>
>>> I can send my phonecall-stuff via bluetooth to my 2013 Corolla
>>> "entertainment system", but I tried several apps to send android apps to
>>> it -- all failures.  It may not be possible to do this with my car, and
>>> I have an email in to the local service people, but has anyone ever
>>> found something that might work?
>>>
>>> It was SO nice in the rental car.  Who knew?
>
> Daughter mentioned Airplay.  She has an iPhone.
>
>> I have a 2020 Camry. Using bluetooth, I can make and receive phone calls
>> on the car's screen, but I also can not get Google maps to it.  As far
>> as I know, it's not possible (although it might be possible in the
>> 2021s).
>
> An appropriate google app offered a car compatibility check.  No Corolla
> older than 2020 was compatible.  I tried a few others with no success. I
> suspect that my 'entertainment system' is text-only -- just like
> monitors used to be!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Auto

And the equivalent for iphones. My car has both, and is a modest Opel Corsa.

You can buy infotainment systems for older cars. You just need to buy
one that supports the correct protocol.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<igcf87Ft3blU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15628&group=comp.mobile.android#15628

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 12:50:31 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 16 May 2021 11:50 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

> I have a 2020 Camry. Using bluetooth, I can make and receive phone calls
> on the car's screen, but I also can not get Google maps to it.  As far
> as I know, it's not possible (although it might be possible in the 2021s).

sounds like it should be, is there an upgrade or retrofit for your car's
EnTune software/firmware?

<https://www.sftoyota.com/blog/does-the-2020-toyota-camry-come-with-android-auto/>

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<s7r9k7$3lc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15630&group=comp.mobile.android#15630

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 07:18:45 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 16 May 2021 14:18 UTC

On 05/16/2021 03:27 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 16/05/2021 05.02, The Real Bev wrote:

>> Daughter mentioned Airplay. She has an iPhone.
>>
>>> I have a 2020 Camry. Using bluetooth, I can make and receive phone calls
>>> on the car's screen, but I also can not get Google maps to it. As far
>>> as I know, it's not possible (although it might be possible in the
>>> 2021s).
>>
>> An appropriate google app offered a car compatibility check. No Corolla
>> older than 2020 was compatible. I tried a few others with no success. I
>> suspect that my 'entertainment system' is text-only -- just like
>> monitors used to be!
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Auto
>
> And the equivalent for iphones. My car has both, and is a modest Opel Corsa.

Entune excluded my car. The others burped at the point where the car
was supposed to get involved.

> You can buy infotainment systems for older cars. You just need to buy
> one that supports the correct protocol.

This one has a red light when it's off. I don't think it's good to
teach us to ignore red lights :-( Perhaps the Toyota guy will try to
sell me one.

--
Cheers, Bev
I'd rather not have neighbors. If I can see them, they're too close.

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<8tf2agducimq893kerpdi0h28nt9vrtfkt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15634&group=comp.mobile.android#15634

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 12:10:48 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 16 May 2021 16:10 UTC

Now I'm confused. When Carlos said this:

>>##The car needs to run "android car". Not the app, but special firmware.
>>##And the system connects to the phone via USB (or BT if both the car and
>>##the phone supports the needed protocol). Then the phone runs "android car".
>>##
>>##Some phone apps are compatible and appear in the car display, and others
>>##are not. For instance, VLC is, for audio at least. OSMand is not.

I thought he meant something other than the Android app "Android Auto".
But...

>> Daughter mentioned Airplay.  She has an iPhone.
>>
>>> I have a 2020 Camry. Using bluetooth, I can make and receive phone calls
>>> on the car's screen, but I also can not get Google maps to it.  As far
>>> as I know, it's not possible (although it might be possible in the
>>> 2021s).
>>
>> An appropriate google app offered a car compatibility check.  No Corolla
>> older than 2020 was compatible.  I tried a few others with no success. I
>> suspect that my 'entertainment system' is text-only -- just like
>> monitors used to be!
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Auto

Down here you seem to suggest Android Auto.
It also says "to mirror features of an Android device" but aiui nothing
will do what Ken and I want, display the Google maps screen as it is on
the phone on the car radio screen. Is that right. You mention VLC,
but you're taking about the audio, not video, right? (at any rate, i
don't want to watch videos. I just want the map!)

>And the equivalent for iphones. My car has both, and is a modest Opel Corsa.
>

>You can buy infotainment systems for older cars. You just need to buy
>one that supports the correct protocol.

Andy posts
https://www.sftoyota.com/blog/does-the-2020-toyota-camry-come-with-android-auto/
and that says that the 2020 Camry has Android Auto. Just a curiosity:
Does that mean the 2019 did not? Hard to believe.

I looked at a Buick Cascada from 2017 that did have Android Auto and it
had its own map, but if I want traffic or the latest store locations or
hours, or to go to a restaurant menu, I need to cast my phone to the car
(or go back to using the phone), and I have the impression that's still
not possible with any car or after-market car radio.

BTW, I have a 2005 Toyota Solara and I just put in a GTACarkit so I can
connect the phone's sound to the radio via bluetooth (and probably AUX
but havent tested that yet) and make handsfree phone calls. Comes with
a microphone that works well so far, even though it's way up at the top
of the A pillar. I think it was $100 or 120 (but my memory for numbers
is bad.) I would have rather saved the 100 and applied it to a new car,
until I found out that afaict I couldn't cast google maps to the car
radio anyhow, even with Android Auto. ????

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<t0h2ag17iv2bhf7rdeind3dtd3ahtttblb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15636&group=comp.mobile.android#15636

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 12:26:25 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 16 May 2021 16:26 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 16 May 2021 12:10:48 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>I looked at a Buick Cascada from 2017 that did have Android Auto and it
>had its own map, but if I want traffic or the latest store locations or
>hours, or to go to a restaurant menu, I need to cast my phone to the car
>(or go back** to using the phone), and I have the impression that's still
>not possible with any car or after-market car radio.

**I'll admit, that I lived comfortably my whole life before a few years
ago with no map other than paper, no menus, no hours, no phone calls.
But I want moooorre.

>BTW, I have a 2005 Toyota Solara and I just put in a GTACarkit*** so I can

Not every car radio accepts a kit like this.

>connect the phone's sound to the radio via bluetooth (and probably AUX
>but havent tested that yet) and make handsfree phone calls. Comes with
>a microphone that works well so far, even though it's way up at the top
>of the A pillar. I think it was $100 or 120 (but my memory for numbers
>is bad.) I would have rather saved the 100 and applied it to a new car,
>until I found out that afaict I couldn't cast google maps to the car
>radio anyhow, even with Android Auto. ????

***Crutchfield and other places sell a different brand. The ones from
Crutchfield had model numbers ending in TOY for Toyota, and I bought one
within 3 months of buying my car 3.5 years ago, but it didnt' work.
Crutchfield paid the return postage and refunded the money promptly.
Last week going through my email from then for some other reason, I saw
that it was an Crutchfield employee who recommended that model -- I
don't know why I needed her help -- and it was in fact the wrong model.
2 or 3 people on ToyotaNation.com had bought the right model and two
complained that it was good for music but phone calls were v. poor. so
in a way I lucked out. So far, GTACarkit workks fine for both.

(It plugs into the back of the radio where a CD changer would go. If
you already have a CD changer, there is a Y-connector. The radio is
clever enough that the radio that it displays CD and CD-1 depending on
which you're listening go. Ironically, my CD player, which worked a
month ago broke the same week I installed this. Unrelated except by
destiny. But this car would only hold one CD at a time and I didn't use
it much.)

I bought a device the size of a cigarette lighter socket that goes into
the same size hole, give or take a tenth of an inch, and is a dash- or
dashbox-mounted extension for the AUX and USB jacks in the Carkit. It
looks real nice.

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<igd124F1sr4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15640&group=comp.mobile.android#15640

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 09:54:28 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 16 May 2021 16:54 UTC

On 5/15/2021 8:02 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 05/15/2021 03:45 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On 5/15/2021 1:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> NEW cars can do it via bluetooth, which would be absolutely lovely.
>>>
>>> I can send my phonecall-stuff via bluetooth to my 2013 Corolla
>>> "entertainment system", but I tried several apps to send android apps to
>>> it -- all failures. It may not be possible to do this with my car, and
>>> I have an email in to the local service people, but has anyone ever
>>> found something that might work?
>>>
>>> It was SO nice in the rental car. Who knew?
>
> Daughter mentioned Airplay. She has an iPhone.
>
>> I have a 2020 Camry. Using bluetooth, I can make and receive phone calls
>> on the car's screen, but I also can not get Google maps to it. As far
>> as I know, it's not possible (although it might be possible in the 2021s).
>
> An appropriate google app offered a car compatibility check. No Corolla
> older than 2020 was compatible. I tried a few others with no success.
> I suspect that my 'entertainment system' is text-only -- just like
> monitors used to be!
>
>> If you find a way to do, post it here. I'd like to do that too.
>
> I suppose I could find or devise some sort of mount for an Android
> tablet, but that seems less desirable.

No, I'm not interested in a mount for an Android tablet. I already have
one--my wife.

--
Ken

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<igd1fkF20raU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15642&group=comp.mobile.android#15642

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 10:01:40 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 16 May 2021 17:01 UTC

On 5/16/2021 4:50 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> I have a 2020 Camry. Using bluetooth, I can make and receive phone calls
>> on the car's screen, but I also can not get Google maps to it.  As far
>> as I know, it's not possible (although it might be possible in the 2021s).
>
> sounds like it should be, is there an upgrade or retrofit for your car's
> EnTune software/firmware?
>
> <https://www.sftoyota.com/blog/does-the-2020-toyota-camry-come-with-android-auto/>

I think there's a monthly charge for using it. I don't need it that
badly that I'm willing to pay for it.

--
Ken

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<s7rjq3$euh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15643&group=comp.mobile.android#15643

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 18:12:36 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sun, 16 May 2021 17:12 UTC

On 16/05/2021 18:01, Ken Blake wrote:

> I think there's a monthly charge for using it. I don't need it that
> badly that I'm willing to pay for it.

I'm sorry, I'm getting confused in this thread. I've just read your
other reply, are you still referring to your wife here?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<s7s0as.8fg.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15647&group=comp.mobile.android#15647

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 16 May 2021 18:48:07 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 16 May 2021 18:48 UTC

Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:
> On 5/15/2021 8:02 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> > On 05/15/2021 03:45 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
[...]

> >> I have a 2020 Camry. Using bluetooth, I can make and receive phone calls
> >> on the car's screen, but I also can not get Google maps to it. As far
> >> as I know, it's not possible (although it might be possible in the 2021s).
> >
> > An appropriate google app offered a car compatibility check. No Corolla
> > older than 2020 was compatible. I tried a few others with no success.
> > I suspect that my 'entertainment system' is text-only -- just like
> > monitors used to be!
> >
> >> If you find a way to do, post it here. I'd like to do that too.
> >
> > I suppose I could find or devise some sort of mount for an Android
> > tablet, but that seems less desirable.
>

> No, I'm not interested in a mount for an Android tablet. I already have
> one--my wife.

Different strokes for different folks. In our 4WD camper (in Australia
:-() we *do* have a - crappy - mount for an Android tablet and my wife
uses that for the - long(er) - range navigation, while I (try to) pay
attention to the 'road'.

And no, it doesn't shout dozens of SSIDs into the ether! Oops, sorry,
wrong thread!

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<s7ruvu$i0o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15653&group=comp.mobile.android#15653

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 13:23:25 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 16 May 2021 20:23 UTC

On 05/16/2021 09:54 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 5/15/2021 8:02 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 05/15/2021 03:45 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> An appropriate google app offered a car compatibility check. No Corolla
>> older than 2020 was compatible. I tried a few others with no success.
>> I suspect that my 'entertainment system' is text-only -- just like
>> monitors used to be!
>>
>>> If you find a way to do, post it here. I'd like to do that too.
>>
>> I suppose I could find or devise some sort of mount for an Android
>> tablet, but that seems less desirable.
>
> No, I'm not interested in a mount for an Android tablet. I already have
> one--my wife.

Hubby, in my case. The Garmin is bigger than the phone, but there's no
place to put it so I don't have to look NOT toward the road. New
Corollas have a horizontal dashboard, but not the 2013. Moreover, it
has a texture so you can't use a suction cup. The window is too far
away and blocks my view of the road.

Whoever designed the #11 Corolla interiors was NOT a serious driver.

--
Cheers, Bev
"John Wayne toilet paper -- It's rough, it's tough,

Re: Send google-map directions to car 'entertainment system'

<bqh8nh-9tf.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15668&group=comp.mobile.android#15668

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 00:09:44 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 16 May 2021 22:09 UTC

On 16/05/2021 18.10, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 16 May 2021 12:27:50 +0200, "Carlos
> E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> Now I'm confused. When Carlos said this:
>
>>> ##The car needs to run "android car". Not the app, but special firmware.
>>> ##And the system connects to the phone via USB (or BT if both the car and
>>> ##the phone supports the needed protocol). Then the phone runs "android car".
>>> ##
>>> ##Some phone apps are compatible and appear in the car display, and others
>>> ##are not. For instance, VLC is, for audio at least. OSMand is not.
>
> I thought he meant something other than the Android app "Android Auto".
> But...

I may confuse the name when writing from memory :-)

My Android phone has an app named "Android auto", and the vehicle system
says "connect to Android Auto" or to the iphone system, which I just
forgot the name again.

>>> Daughter mentioned Airplay.  She has an iPhone.

>>> An appropriate google app offered a car compatibility check.  No Corolla
>>> older than 2020 was compatible.  I tried a few others with no success. I
>>> suspect that my 'entertainment system' is text-only -- just like
>>> monitors used to be!
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Auto
>
> Down here you seem to suggest Android Auto.

Yes, sure. My fault, sorry.

> It also says "to mirror features of an Android device" but aiui nothing
> will do what Ken and I want, display the Google maps screen as it is on
> the phone on the car radio screen. Is that right. You mention VLC,
> but you're taking about the audio, not video, right? (at any rate, i
> don't want to watch videos. I just want the map!)

No, this system doesn't display the phone on the vehicle infotainment
system. It displays a different version of google maps with less
controls and bigger, less features, actually different features and
behaviour, because you are driving the car and should not be distracted
with the phone.

And the app "google maps" in the phone disables itself meanwhile. The
phone screen can be still be used somewhat (but not for google maps).

>> And the equivalent for iphones. My car has both, and is a modest Opel Corsa.
>>

>> You can buy infotainment systems for older cars. You just need to buy
>> one that supports the correct protocol.
>
> Andy posts
> https://www.sftoyota.com/blog/does-the-2020-toyota-camry-come-with-android-auto/
> and that says that the 2020 Camry has Android Auto. Just a curiosity:
> Does that mean the 2019 did not? Hard to believe.

I have no idea.

I bought this car mid-2019, and it was the "previous" version of the car
(I got it cheaper), and it had this system. Via USB only.

> I looked at a Buick Cascada from 2017 that did have Android Auto and it
> had its own map, but if I want traffic or the latest store locations or
> hours, or to go to a restaurant menu, I need to cast my phone to the car
> (or go back to using the phone), and I have the impression that's still
> not possible with any car or after-market car radio.

I can search sites on "google maps" in the car system just fine, it is
the same current information as in the phone. It actually runs in the
phone CPU, RAM, and all, except that it displays in the car.

What you describe seems to be that the car has its own full blown
android box independent from the phone.

> BTW, I have a 2005 Toyota Solara and I just put in a GTACarkit so I can
> connect the phone's sound to the radio via bluetooth (and probably AUX
> but havent tested that yet) and make handsfree phone calls. Comes with
> a microphone that works well so far, even though it's way up at the top
> of the A pillar. I think it was $100 or 120 (but my memory for numbers
> is bad.) I would have rather saved the 100 and applied it to a new car,
> until I found out that afaict I couldn't cast google maps to the car
> radio anyhow, even with Android Auto. ????

Sure, that's a different system. The car can have both, mine does. When
I hop into the car, the phone connects to the system (made by LG) via
Bluetooth, and I can make/receive calls using the car sound system (with
its own microphone somewhere in the roof). I also get the contact list
on the car.

If I connect the USB cable, then the "Android Auto" system kicks in and
I also get Google maps. I use Google Podcasts, for instance. Or give
voice commands.

On more modern cars, the USB cable is not needed, but of course it will
use more battery on the phone. Remember, the code runs in the phone and
displays on the car. The car system is almost dumb.

--
Cheers, Carlos.