From: carlos.n...@2:341/234.1.remove-sdd-this (Carlos Navarro)
Subject: CRLF
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 14:01:07 +0100
 by: Carlos Navarro - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 13:01 UTC

To: digital man
Hi Rob,

I've noticed that SBBSecho generates packed messages with CRLF at the end of every line in the body text (excluding kludges, fortunately), though most FTN software only puts a CR.

It's not really an issue, as FTS-1 says that CR marks the end of paragraphs but LF should be ignored. However, is there a reason for having that extra LF in packed messages?

Carlos

--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20180707
* Origin: Costa Blanca, Spain (2:341/234.1)
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

CRLF

<622E536E.46345.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15637&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15637

From: digital....@vert.synchro.net.remove-f57-this (Digital Man)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 13:26:22 -0700
 by: Digital Man - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 20:26 UTC

To: Carlos Navarro
Re: CRLF
By: Carlos Navarro to digital man on Sun Mar 13 2022 02:01 pm

> Hi Rob,
>
> I've noticed that SBBSecho generates packed messages with CRLF at the end of
> every line in the body text (excluding kludges, fortunately), though most
> FTN software only puts a CR.
>
> It's not really an issue, as FTS-1 says that CR marks the end of paragraphs
> but LF should be ignored. However, is there a reason for having that extra
> LF in packed messages?

It's not SBBSecho that's putting the LF in there, it's the message editor being used or SBBS. SBBSecho has the option to strip line-feeds from outgoing messages, but by default that option is false/off:
https://wiki.synchro.net/config:sbbsecho.ini#root_section

CR/LF is the MS-DOS standard for text file line termination and Synchronet originated as an DOS progarm, so I suppose that would be the reason why their are linefeeds in Synchronet message body text.

Per FTS-1, "All linefeeds, 0AH, [in packed messages] should be ignored.", so they should have no adverse impact to any FTN software.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #27:
DTE = Data Terminal Equipment
Norco, CA WX: 67.8°F, 38.0% humidity, 8 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

CRLF

<6239FDF5.46521.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15781&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15781

From: carlos.n...@2:341/234.remove-125c-this (Carlos Navarro)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 17:11:40 +0100
 by: Carlos Navarro - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 16:11 UTC

To: Digital Man
13 Mar 2022 13:26, you wrote to me:

>> I've noticed that SBBSecho generates packed messages with CRLF at
>> the end of every line in the body text (excluding kludges,
>> fortunately), though most FTN software only puts a CR.
>>
>> It's not really an issue, as FTS-1 says that CR marks the end of
>> paragraphs but LF should be ignored. However, is there a reason for
>> having that extra LF in packed messages?

DM> It's not SBBSecho that's putting the LF in there, it's the message
DM> editor being used or SBBS.

Ok, I don't know Synchronet well. So SBBSecho generates packets with CRLF because it doesn't remove LFs (by default, as you you tell me below).

DM> SBBSecho has the option to strip line-feeds
DM> from outgoing messages, but by default that option is false/off:
DM> https://wiki.synchro.net/config:sbbsecho.ini#root_section

Ok. My tosser also doesn't strip LFs by default. One of my (up)links doesn't strip them either (other one does). That's why I could detect this.

DM> CR/LF is the MS-DOS standard for text file line termination and
DM> Synchronet originated as an DOS progarm, so I suppose that would be
DM> the reason why their are linefeeds in Synchronet message body text.

I understand.

DM> Per FTS-1, "All linefeeds, 0AH, [in packed messages] should be
DM> ignored.", so they should have no adverse impact to any FTN software.

AFAIK only the Aftershock app has issues with LFs, if they are present in the kludges. SBBS does not put LFs there, so problem.

Carlos

--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20180707
* Origin: Costa Blanca, Spain (2:341/234)
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

computers / alt.bbs.synchronet / CRLF