"Plan to throw one away. You will anyway." -- Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: Extending battery life

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Extending battery lifeWally J
`* Re: Extending battery lifeAlan
 `* Re: Extending battery lifeThomas E.
  `* Re: Extending battery lifeAlan
   `* Re: Extending battery lifeThomas E.
    `* Re: Extending battery lifeAlan Baker
     +- Re: Extending battery lifeThomas E.
     `- Re: Extending battery lifeRabidPedagog

1
Re: Extending battery life

<ukipb8$m7he$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15702&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#15702

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Extending battery life
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:44:24 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 20:44 UTC

Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote

> What would do it better? Draining it till practical, or keep it almost
> fully charged by having it on charger when not in use?

Luckily for you, folks already told you the basics about charging settings
(keep it roughly in the midrange of its capacity as much as you can).

Unfortunately for you, original battery capacity is the real killer here.
Apple puts cheap crummy batteries in iPhones - that's just a known fact.

Just compare the battery capacity of any iPhone to the average Android.
The Apple battery will almost always be vastly substandard in this, the
absolutely most critical specification for overall battery longevity.

*Battery Capacity*

However, at this point, you already bought the damn thing, so you're stuck
with that cheap battery; so all you can do moving forward is described in
this article since everyone with an iPhone endures that crappy capacity.

*18 Tips to Make Your iPhone 15's Battery Last Longer*
<https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-15-battery-tips/>

1. Turn Off Live Activities
2. Delete Lock Screen and Home Screen Widgets
Turn Off Live Voicemail
4. Turn Off Proximity AirDrop Sharing
5. Take Advantage of Offline Maps
6. Disable Haptic Keyboard Feedback
7. Turn Off Always-On Display (iPhone 15 Pro)
8. Choose Non-Animated Wallpapers
9. Use Focus Modes
10. Use Scheduled Summary
11. Limit When and How Often Apps Can Access Location
12. Limit Apps Using Bluetooth
13. Use Low Power Mode
14. Use Wi-Fi and Airplane Mode
15. Manage Apps Draining Battery
16. Limit Background Activity
17. Turn Down Screen Brightness
18. Change Your Mail Settings

Hope this helps, as you're going to need all the help you can get,
mostly because Apple doomed your battery capacity from the start.
--
The iKooks hate me because I write facts about Apple they can't refute.
So be it.

Re: Extending battery life

<ukippc$314b8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15703&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#15703

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 12:51:56 -0800
 by: Alan - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 20:51 UTC

On 2023-12-03 12:44, Wally J wrote:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote
>
>> What would do it better? Draining it till practical, or keep it almost
>> fully charged by having it on charger when not in use?
>
> Luckily for you, folks already told you the basics about charging settings
> (keep it roughly in the midrange of its capacity as much as you can).
>
> Unfortunately for you, original battery capacity is the real killer here.
> Apple puts cheap crummy batteries in iPhones - that's just a known fact.

No. This is a falsehood.

> Just compare the battery capacity of any iPhone to the average Android.
> The Apple battery will almost always be vastly substandard in this, the
> absolutely most critical specification for overall battery longevity.

Capacity is only relevant when compared to energy usage.

Re: Extending battery life

<96c11481-e8de-48a1-9035-6a40c131a354n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15704&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#15704

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 13:41:07 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:41 UTC

On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 3:51:59 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-12-03 12:44, Wally J wrote:
> > Cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote
> >
> >> What would do it better? Draining it till practical, or keep it almost
> >> fully charged by having it on charger when not in use?
> >
> > Luckily for you, folks already told you the basics about charging settings
> > (keep it roughly in the midrange of its capacity as much as you can).
> >
> > Unfortunately for you, original battery capacity is the real killer here.
> > Apple puts cheap crummy batteries in iPhones - that's just a known fact..
> No. This is a falsehood.
> >
> > Just compare the battery capacity of any iPhone to the average Android.
> > The Apple battery will almost always be vastly substandard in this, the
> > absolutely most critical specification for overall battery longevity.
> Capacity is only relevant when compared to energy usage.

Let's look at some recent data.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphones-best-battery-life,review-2857.html

iPhone 15 models ranked 4th, 5th and 6th behind 3 Android phones. Other Android phones fell short of the iPhone. My 14 Pro and the wife's 14 go 2 days between charges with none of the settings changes suggested above.

The iPhone 14 Plus suffers from it's larger screen.

The Moto g 5g Stylus reportedly has a 5000 mah battery. The iPhone 15 Pro has a 3200 mah and a longer battery life in test cited above.

About the worst you can say about iPhone 15 battery life is it's better than Android's average even if some Android phones may have larger battery capacity.

It would interesting to have data on battery replacements.

Battery quality relative to the phone's drain rate is also important in the longer term. Remember the iPhone 6 battery fiasco?

Re: Extending battery life

<ukj8jj$33hm8$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15705&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#15705

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 17:04:50 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 01:04 UTC

On 2023-12-03 13:41, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 3:51:59 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
>> On 2023-12-03 12:44, Wally J wrote:
>>> Cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote

>>> Luckily for you, folks already told you the basics about charging settings
>>> (keep it roughly in the midrange of its capacity as much as you can).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately for you, original battery capacity is the real killer here.
>>> Apple puts cheap crummy batteries in iPhones - that's just a known fact.
>> No. This is a falsehood.
>>>
>>> Just compare the battery capacity of any iPhone to the average Android.
>>> The Apple battery will almost always be vastly substandard in this, the
>>> absolutely most critical specification for overall battery longevity.
>> Capacity is only relevant when compared to energy usage.
>
> Let's look at some recent data.
>
> https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphones-best-battery-life,review-2857.html
>
> iPhone 15 models ranked 4th, 5th and 6th behind 3 Android phones. Other Android phones fell short of the iPhone. My 14 Pro and the wife's 14 go 2 days between charges with none of the settings changes suggested above.
>
> The iPhone 14 Plus suffers from it's larger screen.
>
> The Moto g 5g Stylus reportedly has a 5000 mah battery. The iPhone 15 Pro has a 3200 mah and a longer battery life in test cited above.
>
> About the worst you can say about iPhone 15 battery life is it's better than Android's average even if some Android phones may have larger battery capacity.
>
> It would interesting to have data on battery replacements.
>
> Battery quality relative to the phone's drain rate is also important in the longer term. Remember the iPhone 6 battery fiasco?

There was no "fiasco".

Batteries age and gradually lose capacity. That's just a fact.

Apple chose to roll out a software update to attempt to minimize the
impact of that fact on their customers.

Re: Extending battery life

<ae8ebbda-ccf6-46be-8f41-6ab376916857n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15706&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#15706

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 19:49:25 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 03:49 UTC

On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 8:04:54 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-12-03 13:41, Thomas E. wrote:

> >> No. This is a falsehood.

> >> Capacity is only relevant when compared to energy usage.
> >
> > Let's look at some recent data.
> >
> > https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphones-best-battery-life,review-2857.html
> >
> > iPhone 15 models ranked 4th, 5th and 6th behind 3 Android phones. Other Android phones fell short of the iPhone. My 14 Pro and the wife's 14 go 2 days between charges with none of the settings changes suggested above.
> >
> > The iPhone 14 Plus suffers from it's larger screen.
> >
> > The Moto g 5g Stylus reportedly has a 5000 mah battery. The iPhone 15 Pro has a 3200 mah and a longer battery life in test cited above.
> >
> > About the worst you can say about iPhone 15 battery life is it's better than Android's average even if some Android phones may have larger battery capacity.
> >
> > It would interesting to have data on battery replacements.
> >
> > Battery quality relative to the phone's drain rate is also important in the longer term. Remember the iPhone 6 battery fiasco?
> There was no "fiasco".
>
> Batteries age and gradually lose capacity. That's just a fact.
>
> Apple chose to roll out a software update to attempt to minimize the
> impact of that fact on their customers.

Which explains why Apple agreed to pay out $500,000,000 in claims rather than go to trial. I had an iPhone 6. The problem was real. Mine was about a year old when it overheated and battery capacity dropped.

I know, you are going to claim Apple settled to avoid litigation expense and as a goodwill gesture.

Re: Extending battery life

<7f25b461-d139-44a5-bde8-95dedd8790b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15719&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#15719

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 14:47:53 -0800 (PST)
From: alangbak...@gmail.com (Alan Baker)
 by: Alan Baker - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 22:47 UTC

On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 7:49:27 PM UTC-8, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 8:04:54 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:

> > > Let's look at some recent data.
> > >
> > > https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphones-best-battery-life,review-2857.html
> > >
> > > iPhone 15 models ranked 4th, 5th and 6th behind 3 Android phones. Other Android phones fell short of the iPhone. My 14 Pro and the wife's 14 go 2 days between charges with none of the settings changes suggested above.
> > >
> > > The iPhone 14 Plus suffers from it's larger screen.
> > >
> > > The Moto g 5g Stylus reportedly has a 5000 mah battery. The iPhone 15 Pro has a 3200 mah and a longer battery life in test cited above.
> > >
> > > About the worst you can say about iPhone 15 battery life is it's better than Android's average even if some Android phones may have larger battery capacity.
> > >
> > > It would interesting to have data on battery replacements.
> > >
> > > Battery quality relative to the phone's drain rate is also important in the longer term. Remember the iPhone 6 battery fiasco?
> > There was no "fiasco".
> >
> > Batteries age and gradually lose capacity. That's just a fact.
> >
> > Apple chose to roll out a software update to attempt to minimize the
> > impact of that fact on their customers.
> Which explains why Apple agreed to pay out $500,000,000 in claims rather than go to trial. I had an iPhone 6. The problem was real. Mine was about a year old when it overheated and battery capacity dropped.
>
> I know, you are going to claim Apple settled to avoid litigation expense and as a goodwill gesture.

I don't need to say it, do I?

The fact is that batteries age and all Apple did that was "wrong" was take automatic steps to ensure that phones would continue to operate with aged batteries.

Re: Extending battery life

<a344da36-6f12-417f-9474-7afb7182ea7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15722&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#15722

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 16:54:17 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 00:54 UTC

On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 5:47:55 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
> On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 7:49:27 PM UTC-8, Thomas E. wrote:

> > > There was no "fiasco".
> > >
> > > Batteries age and gradually lose capacity. That's just a fact.
> > >
> > > Apple chose to roll out a software update to attempt to minimize the
> > > impact of that fact on their customers.
> > Which explains why Apple agreed to pay out $500,000,000 in claims rather than go to trial. I had an iPhone 6. The problem was real. Mine was about a year old when it overheated and battery capacity dropped.
> >
> > I know, you are going to claim Apple settled to avoid litigation expense and as a goodwill gesture.
> I don't need to say it, do I?
>
> The fact is that batteries age and all Apple did that was "wrong" was take automatic steps to ensure that phones would continue to operate with aged batteries.

They were wrong to not tell their customers.

Re: Extending battery life

<TdDcN.16$PuZ9.13@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15723&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#15723

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: rab...@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 06:37:23 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 11:37 UTC

On 2023-12-07 5:47 p.m., Alan Baker wrote:
> On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 7:49:27 PM UTC-8, Thomas E. wrote:

>>> There was no "fiasco".
>>>
>>> Batteries age and gradually lose capacity. That's just a fact.
>>>
>>> Apple chose to roll out a software update to attempt to minimize the
>>> impact of that fact on their customers.
>> Which explains why Apple agreed to pay out $500,000,000 in claims rather than go to trial. I had an iPhone 6. The problem was real. Mine was about a year old when it overheated and battery capacity dropped.
>>
>> I know, you are going to claim Apple settled to avoid litigation expense and as a goodwill gesture.
>
> I don't need to say it, do I?
>
> The fact is that batteries age and all Apple did that was "wrong" was take automatic steps to ensure that phones would continue to operate with aged batteries.

He is correct. What Apple did was and wasn't unethical. On the one hand,
it allowed people to continue using their iPhones with a respectable
battery life; on the other, they did so at great compromise. However,
people nowadays buy new machines where the battery is already unable to
hold a charge. Sometimes it's because they've spent too much time in the
warehouse before being sold and sometimes it's because they were kept in
places where the temperature was either too high or too low. Lithium
doesn't last forever... something the fans of electric cars are going to
find out very soon.
--
@RabidPedagog