Linus? Whose that? -- clueless newbie on #Linux

devel / comp.sys.acorn.apps / Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs

SubjectAuthor
* Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsAlexander Ausserstorfer
+* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsAlexander Ausserstorfer
|+* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsMartin
||`- Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsMartin
|`* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsSteve Fryatt
| +- Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsHarriet Bazley
| `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsAlexander Ausserstorfer
|  +* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsMartin
|  |`- Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsAlexander Ausserstorfer
|  `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsAlexander Ausserstorfer
|   `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsChris Hughes
|    +* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsSteve Fryatt
|    |`* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsAlexander Ausserstorfer
|    | +* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsChris Hughes
|    | |`- Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsStuart
|    | +- Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsSteve Fryatt
|    | `* Iris (was: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs)Bryan Hogan
|    |  `* Re: Iris (was: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs)Alexander Ausserstorfer
|    |   +- Re: Iris (was: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs)Steve Fryatt
|    |   `- Re: Iris (was: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs)Stuart
|    `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsAlexander Ausserstorfer
|     +* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsAlexander Ausserstorfer
|     |`* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsChris Hughes
|     | `- Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsAlexander Ausserstorfer
|     `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsChris Hughes
|      `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsAlexander Ausserstorfer
|       `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsHarriet Bazley
|        `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsStuart
|         `- Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsDave
`* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsRichard Torrens (News)
 `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsSteve Fryatt
  `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsFrank
   `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsSteve Fryatt
    `* Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsFrank
     `- Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signsSteve Fryatt

Pages:12
Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs

<5a42bec738zuiderduin@hotmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1584&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1584

From: zuiderd...@hotmail.com (Frank)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 21:22:37 +0100
 by: Frank - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 20:22 UTC

Actually, the site is still there / back up: http://www.johnallen.com/

> I'd actually got the two run files confused, and thought it was the version
> from John's site which had the CallASWI references.

I just checked: the June 2009 version, without the CallASWI lines, did
indeed make it to John's site.

Regards,
Frank

Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs

<mpro.rkwbyw06p4cuu03tw.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1585&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1585

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 22:33:02 +0000
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 22:33 UTC

On 5 Nov, Frank wrote in message
<5a42bec738zuiderduin@hotmail.com>:

> In article <mpro.rkw0cw0516tvy03tw.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > It seems to have done, as that's the version which I was comparing to --
> > fetched sometime in the past couple of years (the site vinished about 12
> > months ago, I think).
>
> Actually, the site is still there / back up: http://www.johnallen.com/

Definitely back up, as it's been unavailable (here, at least) for several
months.

It's good news that it's back, though!

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs

<5a42fb0a4dbavariasound@chiemgau-net.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1586&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1586

From: bavarias...@chiemgau-net.de (Alexander Ausserstorfer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 09:20:50 +0200 (Custom)
 by: Alexander Ausserstor - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 07:20 UTC

In article <1990f23b5a.chris@mytardis>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <5a3beec712bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de>
> Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:

[Iris webbrowser]

> Did you notice the very thin blue bar underneath the URL box on the main
> Iris window moving across as it loads all the data, etc.

No, I didn't recognized it because something like that is new to me. Why
the hell the author didn't use the hourglass of RISC OS when the mouse
pointer is over the window of !Iris? I think !Iris is very often
stucked. Often I can wait four hours. Also with simple webpages like
Google. I don't know why. !NetSurf works very well here.

A.

--
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/

Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs

<5a42fb8055bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1587&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1587

From: bavarias...@chiemgau-net.de (Alexander Ausserstorfer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 09:25:52 +0200 (Custom)
 by: Alexander Ausserstor - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 07:25 UTC

In article <f821f33b5a.chris@mytardis>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <5a3bf03984bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de>
> Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:

>> By the way. The first time I used Google from !Iris I got a page like
>> that:

>> http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/Temp/2022-10-22/Google.jpg (54
>> kB)

>> I get this page again after I deleted the content of the file in

>> ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Choices.WWW.Iris.cookies/txt

>> I never had seen this page in NetSurf. For what is it good?

> As it says its to approve or reject Google's website cookies etc.

> And will keep reappaering if you keep deleting the cookies/txt file.

> So respond to it per the buttons on the bottom of the window.

> You will have had in NetSurf at some point in the past and responded one
> way or other.

It isn't happen when I delete the contents of the file

ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Choices.WWW.NetSurf.Cookies

like in !Iris. It just shows the Google search page and doesn't ask you
for anything.

A.

--
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/

Re: Iris (was: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs)

<5a43008562bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1588&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1588

From: bavarias...@chiemgau-net.de (Alexander Ausserstorfer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 10:20:42 +0200 (Custom)
 by: Alexander Ausserstor - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 08:20 UTC

In article <fa3d313c5a.bryan@helpful-demon.co.uk>,
Bryan Hogan <spam@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> In message <5a3bef6c8ebavariasound@chiemgau-net.de>
> Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:

>> I don't know. The machine looks like it was. The version window says
>> 5.24 (16-Apr-18). Is my machine too old? I don't like to buy a new
>> one.

> You need to update your OS version. The documentation for Iris says you
> need to be running at least 5.28.

It's a shame that it doesn't work properly with older versions of RISC
OS like !NetSurf does.

> In fact, checking back through my emails, it looks like it was me that
> told ROD that it didn't work reliably on 5.24!

So it is useless for me. I will not update my machine because I fear to
damage it.

The only source I found is in rComp's !Store but there are no
requirements for the browser printed or listed:

http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/Temp/2022-11-06/IrisPlingStore.jpeg
(131 kB)

You will find the requirements AFTER paying and downloading it. This is
a bit of sending somebody up.

It was always a problem for RISC OS users to get the information they
need in a usefull and understandable way.

A.

--
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/

Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs

<17f805435a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1589&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1589

From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 09:20:13 GMT
 by: Harriet Bazley - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 09:20 UTC

On 6 Nov 2022 as I do recall,
Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote:

> In article <1990f23b5a.chris@mytardis>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> > In message <5a3beec712bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de>
> > Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:
>
> [Iris webbrowser]
>
> > Did you notice the very thin blue bar underneath the URL box on the main
> > Iris window moving across as it loads all the data, etc.
>
> No, I didn't recognized it because something like that is new to me. Why
> the hell the author didn't use the hourglass of RISC OS when the mouse
> pointer is over the window of !Iris?

Because the program - as I understand it - is a port of a foreign
browser from a completely different operating system that doesn't
understand RISC OS conventions. Iris doesn't have proper scrollbars
either; presumably the odd pop-up things that appear on the right-hand
side of the window when you put your mouse there are the scrollbar
equivalent on whatever version of Linux it was written for....

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

The attacker must vanquish; the defender need only survive.

Re: Iris (was: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs)

<mpro.rkx9au00y190u02fn.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1590&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1590

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 10:32:59 +0000
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 10:32 UTC

On 6 Nov, Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote in message
<5a43008562bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de>:

> In article <fa3d313c5a.bryan@helpful-demon.co.uk>,
> Bryan Hogan <spam@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In fact, checking back through my emails, it looks like it was me that
> > told ROD that it didn't work reliably on 5.24!
>
> So it is useless for me. I will not update my machine because I fear to
> damage it.

Re-flashing a Titanium isn't /that/ bad an operation, but as I wrote in an
earlier post, if you don't want to do it, you can always soft-load the newer
ROM images over the one in Flash ROM as the machine boots -- or even just on
demand.

The nightly builds of RISC OS 5 for the Ti come with a soft-loader in the
archive. That works just fine with a stable ROM image as well.

I'm afraid the reality is that to keep up with new software for the
platform, you often will need the latest RISC OS 5. I stumbled across
another example the other day, because in a lot of cases, software and OS
are being improved together in parallel.

> The only source I found is in rComp's !Store but there are no requirements
> for the browser printed or listed:

http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/Temp/2022-11-06/IrisPlingStore.jpeg
> (131 kB)

PlingStore is very bad at providing requirements and dates for releases,
unfortunately.

> You will find the requirements AFTER paying and downloading it. This is a
> bit of sending somebody up.

If it's really a problem to update your machine, then the fact that it isn't
made clear that Iris doesn't work on 5.24 should be enough to get your money
back from ROD under consumer law (if asking Andrew nicely doesn't work, of
course).

> It was always a problem for RISC OS users to get the information they need
> in a usefull and understandable way.

Sometimes I wonder how much of this the software distributors (not
developers) themselves understand.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Iris (was: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs)

<5a4313b300Spambin@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1591&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1591

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 11:50:11 +0000 (GMT)
References: <5a343872f8bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <5a383302bebavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <mpro.rjuatn00vw71u039x.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <5a3845d5babavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <5a3bc3e923bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <d31fd73b5a.chris@mytardis> <mpro.rk7ex2028iwh8046a.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <5a3bef6c8ebavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <fa3d313c5a.bryan@helpful-demon.co.uk> <5a43008562bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de>
 by: Stuart - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:50 UTC

In article <5a43008562bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de>,
Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:
> So it is useless for me. I will not update my machine because I fear to
> damage it.

Risc OS is subject to ongoing updates and if you do not update you will
loose out in a lot of ways. The new TCPI stack for example.

https://www.riscosdev.com/projects/

Also, a newer still version is due shortly.

https://www.riscosopen.org/news/articles/2022/09/29/clock-ticks-towards-5-30-finishing-time

I seem to recall you have a Titanium and if you have doubts I am sure help
and advice will be available if you contact Elesar

http://support.elesar.co.uk/

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs

<5a43123f23Spambin@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1592&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1592

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 11:34:19 +0000 (GMT)
References: <5a343872f8bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <5a383302bebavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <mpro.rjuatn00vw71u039x.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <5a3845d5babavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <5a3bc3e923bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <d31fd73b5a.chris@mytardis> <5a3beec712bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <1990f23b5a.chris@mytardis> <5a42fb0a4dbavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <17f805435a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>
 by: Stuart - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:34 UTC

In article <17f805435a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> Because the program - as I understand it - is a port of a foreign
> browser from a completely different operating system that doesn't
> understand RISC OS conventions. Iris doesn't have proper scrollbars
> either; presumably the odd pop-up things that appear on the right-hand
> side of the window when you put your mouse there are the scrollbar
> equivalent on whatever version of Linux it was written for....

It must also be remembered that it is still a "work in progress".

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Strange behavior of !Pluto with attachments and GnuPG signs

<5a431df3d4dave@triffid.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1593&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1593

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 13:42:10 +0000 (GMT)
References: <5a343872f8bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <5a383302bebavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <mpro.rjuatn00vw71u039x.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <5a3845d5babavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <5a3bc3e923bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <d31fd73b5a.chris@mytardis> <5a3beec712bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <1990f23b5a.chris@mytardis> <5a42fb0a4dbavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> <17f805435a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> <5a43123f23Spambin@argonet.co.uk>
 by: Dave - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 13:42 UTC

In article <5a43123f23Spambin@argonet.co.uk>,
Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <17f805435a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
> Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> > Because the program - as I understand it - is a port of a foreign
> > browser from a completely different operating system that doesn't
> > understand RISC OS conventions. Iris doesn't have proper scrollbars
> > either; presumably the odd pop-up things that appear on the right-hand
> > side of the window when you put your mouse there are the scrollbar
> > equivalent on whatever version of Linux it was written for....

> It must also be remembered that it is still a "work in progress".

Back in the days... Wasn't that the bog reply to !Oregano questions?

Dave

--

Dave Triffid