Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:57:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Modern laptop batteries are crippled by default...for your own good
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:57 UTC

An interesting 'feature' (or bug) in that your laptop battery is set to about 60% through the BIOS in order to conserve "battery lifespan" (the actual lifespan of the battery) as opposed to 'battery life per charge' (how many hours of charge the battery will have).

Annoying 'feature', more like a 'bug'. I wonder how much longer will a laptop battery last with this software feature? If it's only a year more battery lifespan, frankly it's not worth it, since it's annoying to run out of battery every two hours unless the laptop is connected to mains.

See "ANSWER from a commentator" below to get the gist of the problem.

RL

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-the-charging-level-to-100-and-back-to-60/62fe1f46-8fd1-4493-ae66-44bfa8232677

Changing the Charging Level to 100% and back to 60% on Window 11

I used to set up a saving power plan that charges up to 60% on Windows 10. It was easy to find since it locates directly in the power icon on the bottom right and I was able to change back and forth to the original plan quickly.

I upgraded to Windows 11 and could not find the options to reverse back to 100% as I am back to school and need the laptop to be at 100%.

And after I reverse it back to 100%, how can I set it back to 60% again while playing games at home to maximize my battery life during the breaks?

ANSWER from a commentator:

FYI - I have a Dell G5 running Windows 11.

The only way I could correct the battery charge level was by going into the BIOS (pressing F2 on startup) and then go to:

- Power Menu Item

- Set Max Charge Level

And sent that 'Max Charge Level' to 100%.

Nothing in windows 11 to correct it.

Cheers