People are going to scream bloody murder about that. -- Seen on linux-kernel

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / RPi crash

SubjectAuthor
* RPi crashBrian Jordan
+* Re: RPi crashDoug Webb
|`* Re: RPi crashBrian Jordan
| `* Re: RPi crashChris Newman
|  `* Re: RPi crashFrederick Bambrough
|   `* Re: RPi crashRichard Ashbery
|    `- Re: RPi crashChris Newman
`* Re: RPi crashBrian Jordan
 `* Re: RPi crashChris Hughes
  `- Re: RPi crashBrian Jordan

1
RPi crash

<f526982c-72c1-4c47-a473-8761d4035468n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1593&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1593

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 13:10:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RPi crash
From: briandr...@gmail.com (Brian Jordan)
 by: Brian Jordan - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 21:10 UTC

First, apologies for posting via the web and the unusual email. I would appreciate any replies being addressed to brian.jordan9@btinternet.com.
This afternoon I tried to download a large data file from Sine Nomine (the latest OSM data) using the Iris browser. The download hung with a 'no more disk space' error and Iris absented itself from the icon bar. Attempts to use other software gave disc space warnings so I shut the computer down.
Now the computer hangs in the early stages of booting with the message 'SDFS::RISCOSpi.$.!Boot.Resources.!Scrap not found (Error number &D6), I am somewhat at a loss as to what to do.
I don't have access to !Pluto and my windows Thunderbird only looks at my BT Internet address so I ask again that if you have any thoughts please post them there.

Many thanks

Re: RPi crash

<950695a859.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1594&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1594

From: doug.j.w...@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Re: RPi crash
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:51:21 GMT
 by: Doug Webb - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:51 UTC

In message <f526982c-72c1-4c47-a473-8761d4035468n@googlegroups.com>
Brian Jordan <briandrood@gmail.com> wrote:

> The download hung with a 'no more disk space' error and Iris absented
> itself from the icon bar. Attempts to use other software gave disc space
> warnings so I shut the computer down.
> Now the computer hangs in the early stages of booting with the message
> 'SDFS::RISCOSpi.$.!Boot.Resources.!Scrap not found (Error number &D6), I
> am somewhat at a loss as to what to do.
> I don't have access to !Pluto and my windows Thunderbird only looks at my
> BT Internet address so I ask again that if you have any thoughts please
> post them there.

Sounds like the download exhausted your available disc space.

Try either repeatably hitting the escape key or holding the shift key on
booting to bypass the boot sequence and then see if you get a minimal
desktop or at a * prompt type desktop.

Once in to the desktop check the disc space available and look in
particular in !Scrap and delete the IRIS folder in
!Boot.Resources.!Scrap.Scrapdirs.ScrapDir.WWW

Hope this helps.

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS

Re: RPi crash

<ac9ed6cd-f5a0-4ee6-8c4f-10b343030901n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1595&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1595

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:28:04 -0800 (PST)
From: briandr...@gmail.com (Brian Jordan)
 by: Brian Jordan - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 19:28 UTC

On Monday, 10 January 2022 at 11:51:24 UTC, Doug Webb wrote:
> In message <f526982c-72c1-4c47...@googlegroups.com>
> Brian Jordan <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The download hung with a 'no more disk space' error and Iris absented
> > itself from the icon bar. Attempts to use other software gave disc space
> > warnings so I shut the computer down.
> > Now the computer hangs in the early stages of booting with the message
> > 'SDFS::RISCOSpi.$.!Boot.Resources.!Scrap not found (Error number &D6), I
> > am somewhat at a loss as to what to do.
> > I don't have access to !Pluto and my windows Thunderbird only looks at my
> > BT Internet address so I ask again that if you have any thoughts please
> > post them there.
> Sounds like the download exhausted your available disc space.
>
> Try either repeatably hitting the escape key or holding the shift key on
> booting to bypass the boot sequence and then see if you get a minimal
> desktop or at a * prompt type desktop.
>
> Once in to the desktop check the disc space available and look in
> particular in !Scrap and delete the IRIS folder in
> !Boot.Resources.!Scrap.Scrapdirs.ScrapDir.WWW
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> --
> Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
> PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS
> 5.28.

Thanks, this was indeed the problem. I have now got into the machine as you suggest and
can confirm that !Scrap was the problem area. It seems that in the process of Iris writing a
large file there some other files were affected, in particular !Boot, !Help, !Run, !Runimage and
Messages.
The blame is mine really for having kept the scrap system on the Micro SD card and not
puting it on the large internal SSD. I still have some work to sort it all out but at least I'll be
able to get the local quiz league results posted this evening! Better still I have got Pluto back
so I can ditch this web based nonsense.
Thanks again B

Re: RPi crash

<59a933726fbrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1596&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1596

From: brian.jo...@btinternet.com (Brian Jordan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:41:44 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Brian Jordan - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:41 UTC

In article <f526982c-72c1-4c47-a473-8761d4035468n@googlegroups.com>,
Brian Jordan <briandrood@gmail.com> wrote:
> First, apologies for posting via the web and the unusual email. I would
> appreciate any replies being addressed to brian.jordan9@btinternet.com.
> This afternoon I tried to download a large data file from Sine Nomine
> (the latest OSM data) using the Iris browser. The download hung with a
> 'no more disk space' error and Iris absented itself from the icon bar.
> Attempts to use other software gave disc space warnings so I shut the
> computer down. Now the computer hangs in the early stages of booting
> with the message 'SDFS::RISCOSpi.$.!Boot.Resources.!Scrap not found
> (Error number &D6), I am somewhat at a loss as to what to do. I don't
> have access to !Pluto and my windows Thunderbird only looks at my BT
> Internet address so I ask again that if you have any thoughts please
> post them there.

Thanks to all who replied, the problem, as several of you suggested, was
an issue with !Scrap in that its !Boot, !Run and !Runimage files had
disappeared. I'm still not sure how this happened and it may well be
operator error. It has made me cautious about using the Iris browser with
alignment exceptions OFF.
I have replaced the missing files and all is now well.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.28 (19-Oct-20) on Raspberry Pi

Re: RPi crash

<138637a959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1597&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1597

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:26:16 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:26 UTC

In message <59a933726fbrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>
Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In article <f526982c-72c1-4c47-a473-8761d4035468n@googlegroups.com>,
> Brian Jordan <briandrood@gmail.com> wrote:
>> First, apologies for posting via the web and the unusual email. I would
>> appreciate any replies being addressed to brian.jordan9@btinternet.com.
>> This afternoon I tried to download a large data file from Sine Nomine
>> (the latest OSM data) using the Iris browser. The download hung with a
>> 'no more disk space' error and Iris absented itself from the icon bar.
>> Attempts to use other software gave disc space warnings so I shut the
>> computer down. Now the computer hangs in the early stages of booting
>> with the message 'SDFS::RISCOSpi.$.!Boot.Resources.!Scrap not found
>> (Error number &D6), I am somewhat at a loss as to what to do. I don't
>> have access to !Pluto and my windows Thunderbird only looks at my BT
>> Internet address so I ask again that if you have any thoughts please
>> post them there.

> Thanks to all who replied, the problem, as several of you suggested, was
> an issue with !Scrap in that its !Boot, !Run and !Runimage files had
> disappeared. I'm still not sure how this happened and it may well be
> operator error. It has made me cautious about using the Iris browser with
> alignment exceptions OFF.

Its nothing to do with alignment exceptions OFF.

The issue was because you simply ran out of disc space and this caused
some corruption as a side effect.

Run it all off your hopefully large SSD drive rather then your small
SDCard will help reduce/prevent the issue in future.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: RPi crash

<59a939b8f6brian.jordan9@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1598&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1598

From: brian.jo...@btinternet.com (Brian Jordan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:50:17 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Brian Jordan - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:50 UTC

In article <138637a959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> Its nothing to do with alignment exceptions OFF.

> The issue was because you simply ran out of disc space and this caused
> some corruption as a side effect.

> Run it all off your hopefully large SSD drive rather then your small
> SDCard will help reduce/prevent the issue in future.

Thank you, I have now set everything up to do just that. Lesson learned.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.28 (19-Oct-20) on Raspberry Pi

Re: RPi crash

<59a93ef339cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1599&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1599

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 18:47:25 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 18:47 UTC

In article <ac9ed6cd-f5a0-4ee6-8c4f-10b343030901n@googlegroups.com>,
Brian Jordan <briandrood@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 10 January 2022 at 11:51:24 UTC, Doug Webb wrote:
> > In message <f526982c-72c1-4c47...@googlegroups.com> Brian Jordan
> > <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The download hung with a 'no more disk space' error and Iris
> > > absented itself from the icon bar. Attempts to use other software
> > > gave disc space warnings so I shut the computer down. Now the
> > > computer hangs in the early stages of booting with the message
> > > 'SDFS::RISCOSpi.$.!Boot.Resources.!Scrap not found (Error number
> > > &D6), I am somewhat at a loss as to what to do. I don't have
> > > access to !Pluto and my windows Thunderbird only looks at my BT
> > > Internet address so I ask again that if you have any thoughts
> > > please post them there.
> > Sounds like the download exhausted your available disc space.
> >
> > Try either repeatably hitting the escape key or holding the shift key
> > on booting to bypass the boot sequence and then see if you get a
> > minimal desktop or at a * prompt type desktop.
> >
> > Once in to the desktop check the disc space available and look in
> > particular in !Scrap and delete the IRIS folder in
> > !Boot.Resources.!Scrap.Scrapdirs.ScrapDir.WWW

Somwhere on m RiscPC (not fired up at the moment) ISTR an app called
!ScrapClean or something similar which does the job for you. It's a bit
fierce so you have to be careful. Not sure if it's 32 bit compatible.

--
Chris Newman

Re: RPi crash

<mpro.r5kkft004oms700wr@ypical.nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1600&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1600

From: fred...@[127.0.0.1] (Frederick Bambrough)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 23:40:41 +0000
 by: Frederick Bambrough - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 23:40 UTC

In message <59a93ef339cvjazz@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <ac9ed6cd-f5a0-4ee6-8c4f-10b343030901n@googlegroups.com>,
> Brian Jordan <briandrood@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, 10 January 2022 at 11:51:24 UTC, Doug Webb wrote:

> > > Sounds like the download exhausted your available disc space.
> > >
> > > Try either repeatably hitting the escape key or holding the shift
> > > key on booting to bypass the boot sequence and then see if you get a
> > > minimal desktop or at a * prompt type desktop.
> > >
> > > Once in to the desktop check the disc space available and look in
> > > particular in !Scrap and delete the IRIS folder in
> > > !Boot.Resources.!Scrap.Scrapdirs.ScrapDir.WWW
>
> Somwhere on m RiscPC (not fired up at the moment) ISTR an app called
> !ScrapClean or something similar which does the job for you. It's a bit
> fierce so you have to be careful. Not sure if it's 32 bit compatible.

By Chris Bell, running on my RPi.

Re: RPi crash

<59a9a1f520basura@invalid.addr.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1601&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1601

From: bas...@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 12:48:48 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Richard Ashbery - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 12:48 UTC

In article <mpro.r5kkft004oms700wr@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Frederick
Bambrough <freddie@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

> > Somwhere on m RiscPC (not fired up at the moment) ISTR an app
> > called !ScrapClean or something similar which does the job for
> > you. It's a bit fierce so you have to be careful. Not sure if
> > it's 32 bit compatible.

> By Chris Bell, running on my RPi.

Download: http://www.cornant.uk/riscos

Re: RPi crash

<59a9a34311cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1602&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1602

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:03:03 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:03 UTC

In article <59a9a1f520basura@invalid.addr.uk>,
Richard Ashbery <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:
> In article <mpro.r5kkft004oms700wr@ypical.nospam.invalid>, Frederick
> Bambrough <freddie@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

> > > Somwhere on m RiscPC (not fired up at the moment) ISTR an app
> > > called !ScrapClean or something similar which does the job for
> > > you. It's a bit fierce so you have to be careful. Not sure if
> > > it's 32 bit compatible.

> > By Chris Bell, running on my RPi.

> Download: http://www.cornant.uk/riscos

I knew someone would remember. Ta.