From: dumas.wa...@CAPCITY2.remove-kd-this (Dumas Walker)
Subject: NNTP question
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:21:00 -0400
 by: Dumas Walker - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 15:21 UTC

A sysop on another network was asking if my system supports NNTP for the
purpose of BBS network connections. I do have the NNTP server running and
answering inbounds for users. Is there a way to use it for BBS networking
and to be able to restrict which echos that the NNTP node can pick up that
way?

Seems like a long time ago I did it by user access level, but that only
works if you have one system, or systems that are all accessing the same
network(s).

Thanks!

* SLMR 2.1a * I am NOT a Complete Idiot! Several parts are missing!!

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

NNTP question

<6251D490.46722.sync@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15949&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15949

From: digital....@vert.synchro.net.remove-60y-this (Digital Man)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:46:40 -0700
 by: Digital Man - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 18:46 UTC

To: Dumas Walker
Re: NNTP question
By: Dumas Walker to ALL on Sat Apr 09 2022 11:21 am

> A sysop on another network was asking if my system supports NNTP for the
> purpose of BBS network connections. I do have the NNTP server running and
> answering inbounds for users. Is there a way to use it for BBS networking
> and to be able to restrict which echos that the NNTP node can pick up that
> way?

Sure. The NNTP node needs a user account on your BBS. Normally, you'd give that account the 'Q' restriction and nntpservice.js has special handline for such Q-restricted users (network nodes).
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #11:
Struck between the eyes by the big time world, walking uneasy streets
Norco, CA WX: 83.3°F, 18.0% humidity, 4 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

NNTP question

<6252D386.6626.sync@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15954&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15954

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-kkq-this (MRO)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 07:54:30 -0500
 by: MRO - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:54 UTC

To: Dumas Walker
Re: NNTP question
By: Dumas Walker to ALL on Sat Apr 09 2022 11:21 am

> A sysop on another network was asking if my system supports NNTP for the
> purpose of BBS network connections. I do have the NNTP server running and
> answering inbounds for users. Is there a way to use it for BBS networking
> and to be able to restrict which echos that the NNTP node can pick up that
> way?
>
> Seems like a long time ago I did it by user access level, but that only
> works if you have one system, or systems that are all accessing the same
> network(s).
>
> Thanks!

you mean for msg networks?
yes, it's easy for synchronet bbses to link up that way.
it's the easiest way.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

NNTP question

<6252F7BE.65953.sync@capitolcityonline.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15957&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15957

From: dumas.wa...@CAPCITY2.remove-hae-this (Dumas Walker)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 11:16:00 -0400
 by: Dumas Walker - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:16 UTC

To: DIGITAL MAN
> > A sysop on another network was asking if my system supports NNTP for the
> > purpose of BBS network connections. I do have the NNTP server running and
> > answering inbounds for users. Is there a way to use it for BBS networking
> > and to be able to restrict which echos that the NNTP node can pick up that
> > way?

> Sure. The NNTP node needs a user account on your BBS. Normally, you'd give tha
> account the 'Q' restriction and nntpservice.js has special handline for such Q
> estricted users (network nodes).

OK, I think that is what I am looking for. That would give them access to
any network that is QWK networkable, which would prevent them from
bothering any NIMBYs in FIDO echos that might take offense. :)

Thanks!

* SLMR 2.1a * I didn't do it nobody saw me you can't prove anything!

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Re: NNTP question

<62543437.63692.dove.sync@realitycheckbbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15961&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15961

From: poindext...@REALITY.remove-8q4-this (poindexter FORTRAN)
Subject: Re: NNTP question
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 06:45:00 -0700
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 13:45 UTC

To: Dumas Walker
-=> Dumas Walker wrote to DIGITAL MAN <=-

DW> OK, I think that is what I am looking for. That would give them access
DW> to any network that is QWK networkable, which would prevent them from
DW> bothering any NIMBYs in FIDO echos that might take offense. :)

A couple of years back, a sysop declined my application to their network,
but they had open NNTP. I initially kept up with the network via a news
client, but ended up polling his news server with Synchronet and tossing
messages into one of my user bases.

I kept the ACL at LEVEL 90 so I'd be the only one to read them, but it's
good to know there's a more comprehensive method.

.... Wait, this is a *scene*?
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Re: NNTP question

<6254F562.6631.sync@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15964&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15964

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-gc3-this (MRO)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:43:30 -0500
 by: MRO - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 03:43 UTC

To: poindexter FORTRAN
Re: Re: NNTP question
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Dumas Walker on Mon Apr 11 2022 06:45 am

> -=> Dumas Walker wrote to DIGITAL MAN <=-
>
> DW> OK, I think that is what I am looking for. That would give them access
> DW> to any network that is QWK networkable, which would prevent them from
> DW> bothering any NIMBYs in FIDO echos that might take offense. :)
>
> A couple of years back, a sysop declined my application to their network,
> but they had open NNTP. I initially kept up with the network via a news
> client, but ended up polling his news server with Synchronet and tossing
> messages into one of my user bases.
>
> I kept the ACL at LEVEL 90 so I'd be the only one to read them, but it's
> good to know there's a more comprehensive method.

you mean you imported his msgs via nntp to your MSG BASES?

if you changed the access and if anybody posted they'd be using your name so you didnt accomplish much. he didnt lock you out of his msg bases, either.
---