The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

computers / alt.bbs.synchronet / How to customize the Logon EVENT?

SubjectAuthor
* How to customize the Logon EVENT?AngieAndretti
+* How to customize the Logon EVENT?Digital Man
|`- How to customize the Logon EVENT?AngieAndretti
`* How to customize the Logon EVENT?MRO
 `* How to customize the Logon EVENT?AngieAndretti
  +- How to customize the Logon EVENT?Andre
  +- Re: How to customize the Logon EVENT?Gamgee
  `- How to customize the Logon EVENT?MRO

1
How to customize the Logon EVENT?

<62523D7C.46723.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15950&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15950

From: angieand...@vert.synchro.net.remove-c6o-this (AngieAndretti)
Subject: How to customize the Logon EVENT?
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 19:14:20 -0700
 by: AngieAndretti - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 02:14 UTC

Sorry for being a noob with what may be a stupid question but I've dug through
so much code and I'm lost for what to do:

I want to customize the behavior of what appears to be user_event(EVENT_LOGON)
and I found notes that appear to imply it's possible, as they refer to this as
"running configured external logon events." But how to configure??

Specifically, I want to globally eradicate the "Read your mail now?" prompt at
user logon - but I'd still really like it to display the notification that new
mail is waiting IF any has been received... in that case the user should have
to enter the email menu manually if they want to read it.
Second (and less important,) I'd like to suppress displaying the notice "Your
time has been reduced due to an upcoming event." Time is infinite for all
users in my scenario and it's a useless and confusing message.

Could someone give me a hand with this please?
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

How to customize the Logon EVENT?

<62525F6D.46725.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15952&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15952

From: digital....@vert.synchro.net.remove-og0-this (Digital Man)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 21:39:09 -0700
 by: Digital Man - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 04:39 UTC

To: AngieAndretti
Re: How to customize the Logon EVENT?
By: AngieAndretti to ALL on Sat Apr 09 2022 07:14 pm

> Sorry for being a noob with what may be a stupid question but I've dug
> through so much code and I'm lost for what to do:
>
> I want to customize the behavior of what appears to be
> user_event(EVENT_LOGON) and I found notes that appear to imply it's
> possible, as they refer to this as "running configured external logon
> events." But how to configure??

External logon events are configured in SCFG->External Programs->Online Programs. Add/change a program with a "Execut on Event" set to "Logon" and voila: it executes during logon.

> Specifically, I want to globally eradicate the "Read your mail now?" prompt
> at user logon -

Find the ReadYourMailNowQ string in your ctrl/text.dat file and set it to an emtpy string ("") and voila: the prompt is eradicated.

> but I'd still really like it to display the notification
> that new mail is waiting IF any has been received... in that case the user
> should have to enter the email menu manually if they want to read it.

You can write your logon module (e.g. JS) to do that and have it execute as a logon event as previously described.

> Second (and less important,) I'd like to suppress displaying the notice
> "Your time has been reduced due to an upcoming event." Time is infinite for
> all users in my scenario and it's a useless and confusing message.
>
> Could someone give me a hand with this please?

The ReducedTime string in your text.dat file.
--
digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #3:
Karl (re: killing Doyle): That second one just plum near cut his head in two.
Norco, CA WX: 61.3°F, 83.0% humidity, 0 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

How to customize the Logon EVENT?

<6252D3DF.6627.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15955&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15955

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-kkq-this (MRO)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 07:55:59 -0500
 by: MRO - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:55 UTC

To: AngieAndretti
Re: How to customize the Logon EVENT?
By: AngieAndretti to ALL on Sat Apr 09 2022 07:14 pm

> Sorry for being a noob with what may be a stupid question but I've dug
> through so much code and I'm lost for what to do:
>
> I want to customize the behavior of what appears to be
> user_event(EVENT_LOGON) and I found notes that appear to imply it's
> possible, as they refer to this as "running configured external logon
> events." But how to configure??

you dug into the code. now dig into the docs.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

How to customize the Logon EVENT?

<6256E059.46741.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15966&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15966

From: angieand...@vert.synchro.net.remove-2hc-this (AngieAndretti)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 07:38:17 -0700
 by: AngieAndretti - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:38 UTC

To: Digital Man

Thank you so much, Digital Dude!!
I'd found those strings previously but I did not expect the behavior in that
blanking out the string causes the question not to be asked at all. You've
been a huge help!
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

How to customize the Logon EVENT?

<6256E22A.46742.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15967&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15967

From: angieand...@vert.synchro.net.remove-y06-this (AngieAndretti)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 07:46:02 -0700
 by: AngieAndretti - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:46 UTC

To: MRO
> you dug into the code. now dig into the docs.

Could you provide a link? I did Google search for help on the issue - and I
found SOME documentation (http://synchro.net/docs/index.htm), which I read
through, but I honestly couldn't find anything that answered my specific
question (i.e. "If you blank out a string in text.dat, that's the way to stop
the question from being asked." Either it's not documented there or I may have
just missed it; Sorry.
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

How to customize the Logon EVENT?

<6256F035.5700.dove-syncdisc@bbs.radiomentor.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15968&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15968

From: and...@RDOMENTR.remove-1cg-this (Andre)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:45:57 -0500
 by: Andre - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:45 UTC

To: AngieAndretti
Re: How to customize the Logon EVENT?
By: AngieAndretti to MRO on Wed Apr 13 2022 07:46 am

An> Could you provide a link? I did Google search for help on the issue - and
An> I found SOME documentation (http://synchro.net/docs/index.htm), which I

An> read through, but I honestly couldn't find anything that answered my
An> specific question (i.e. "If you blank out a string in text.dat, that's the
An> way to stop the question from being asked." Either it's not documented

Don't mind MRO. He's a well established jerkoff with no social skills... Not any positive ones at least.

The wiki has the most up-to-date documentation, but there's legacy stuff still in the page you saw.
http://wiki.synchro.net/custom:text.dat

Look at the very end of the Escape Sequences section.

- Andre

---
■ Synchronet ■ Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Re: How to customize the Logon EVENT?

<6256F9E3.44652.dove-syncdisc@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15970&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15970

From: gam...@PALANT.remove-lw5-this (Gamgee)
Subject: Re: How to customize the Logon EVENT?
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:53:00 -0500
 by: Gamgee - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:53 UTC

To: AngieAndretti
-=> AngieAndretti wrote to MRO <=-

> you dug into the code. now dig into the docs.

An> Could you provide a link? I did Google search for help on the
An> issue - and I found SOME documentation
An> (http://synchro.net/docs/index.htm), which I read through, but I
An> honestly couldn't find anything that answered my specific
An> question (i.e. "If you blank out a string in text.dat, that's the
An> way to stop the question from being asked." Either it's not
An> documented there or I may have just missed it; Sorry.

It's documented here:

http://wiki.synchro.net/custom:text.dat

Your specific example is explained there at the bottom of the "Escape
Sequences" section.

.... All the easy problems have been solved.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

How to customize the Logon EVENT?

<62575523.6637.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15972&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#15972

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-q6z-this (MRO)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:56:35 -0500
 by: MRO - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:56 UTC

To: AngieAndretti
Re: How to customize the Logon EVENT?
By: AngieAndretti to MRO on Wed Apr 13 2022 07:46 am

> > you dug into the code. now dig into the docs.
>
> Could you provide a link? I did Google search for help on the issue - and I
> found SOME documentation (http://synchro.net/docs/index.htm), which I read
> through, but I honestly couldn't find anything that answered my specific
> question (i.e. "If you blank out a string in text.dat, that's the way to
> stop the question from being asked." Either it's not documented there or I
> may have just missed it; Sorry.

well, when you have so many things, you can't be specific with every single thing. if you look into the customization docs you will see what files do what and where they are located. usually all you need to do is take a look with the search feature.

in scfg there's sometimes a help command for each selection as well.

i prefer the older text docs and then i read the whatsnew stuff. it IS hard to keep up with all the changes over the years. I understand writing documentation is not fun, and there's some people that contribute that don't write down information. overall synchronet is probably still has the best documentation of all the bbs softwares.
---