6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac

SubjectAuthor
* Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to MacWade Garrett
+* Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to MacJolly Roger
|`* Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to MacWade Garrett
| `* Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to MacJolly Roger
|  `* Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to MacWade Garrett
|   `- Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to MacJolly Roger
`* Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to MacJoerg Lorenz
 `- Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to MacWade Garrett

1
Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac

<u4nno8$3gbs6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15986&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15986

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 09:27:34 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Thu, 25 May 2023 13:27 UTC

Got an iPod Shuffle 2nd generation that used to sync with ny Mac via
Finder just fine. I did a restore on it to change ownership from my wife
to me after which it would no longer sync with the Mac. It only shows as
an external drive.

I connected it to a Windows computer running iTunes and was able to set
it up and it syncs fine there. But on the Mac-- which of course no
longer can run iTunes-- it still only shows as an external drive using
Finder or Disk Utility. Mac Music doesn't see the iPod.

Ideas to fix?

--
I know things and I fix stuff

Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac

<kd9blqFagssU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15987&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15987

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac
Date: 25 May 2023 15:03:22 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 25 May 2023 15:03 UTC

On 2023-05-25, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
> Got an iPod Shuffle 2nd generation that used to sync with ny Mac via
> Finder just fine. I did a restore on it to change ownership from my wife
> to me after which it would no longer sync with the Mac. It only shows as
> an external drive.
>
> I connected it to a Windows computer running iTunes and was able to set
> it up and it syncs fine there. But on the Mac-- which of course no
> longer can run iTunes-- it still only shows as an external drive using
> Finder or Disk Utility. Mac Music doesn't see the iPod.
>
> Ideas to fix?

I would try resetting it to factory defaults.

JR

Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac

<u4o6gc$f60f$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15988&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15988

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 19:39:24 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 25 May 2023 17:39 UTC

Am 25.05.23 um 15:27 schrieb Wade Garrett:
> Got an iPod Shuffle 2nd generation that used to sync with ny Mac via
> Finder just fine. I did a restore on it to change ownership from my wife
> to me after which it would no longer sync with the Mac. It only shows as
> an external drive.
>
> I connected it to a Windows computer running iTunes and was able to set
> it up and it syncs fine there. But on the Mac-- which of course no
> longer can run iTunes-- it still only shows as an external drive using
> Finder or Disk Utility. Mac Music doesn't see the iPod.

It is a long long time since I used this neat devices. Are they also
included in the registered devices in iCloud? If yes then delete it in
your wife's iCloud-account. Then do a factory reset and register it in
your account. Then it should sync with your Mac.

Everything with a full disclaimer!

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac

<u4q51s$3v933$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15998&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15998

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 07:26:52 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Fri, 26 May 2023 11:26 UTC

On 5/25/23 11:03 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-05-25, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
>> Got an iPod Shuffle 2nd generation that used to sync with ny Mac via
>> Finder just fine. I did a restore on it to change ownership from my wife
>> to me after which it would no longer sync with the Mac. It only shows as
>> an external drive.
>>
>> I connected it to a Windows computer running iTunes and was able to set
>> it up and it syncs fine there. But on the Mac-- which of course no
>> longer can run iTunes-- it still only shows as an external drive using
>> Finder or Disk Utility. Mac Music doesn't see the iPod.
>>
>> Ideas to fix?
>
> I would try resetting it to factory defaults.

Yup, that was what I initially tried to do and what led to the problem.
Tried again, still no joy...

--
The more you know, the more you suffer.

Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac

<u4q6h0$3vgf8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15999&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15999

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 07:51:58 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Fri, 26 May 2023 11:51 UTC

On 5/25/23 1:39 PM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 25.05.23 um 15:27 schrieb Wade Garrett:
>> Got an iPod Shuffle 2nd generation that used to sync with ny Mac via
>> Finder just fine. I did a restore on it to change ownership from my wife
>> to me after which it would no longer sync with the Mac. It only shows as
>> an external drive.
>>
>> I connected it to a Windows computer running iTunes and was able to set
>> it up and it syncs fine there. But on the Mac-- which of course no
>> longer can run iTunes-- it still only shows as an external drive using
>> Finder or Disk Utility. Mac Music doesn't see the iPod.
>
> It is a long long time since I used this neat devices. Are they also
> included in the registered devices in iCloud? If yes then delete it in
> your wife's iCloud-account. Then do a factory reset and register it in
> your account. Then it should sync with your Mac.
>
> Everything with a full disclaimer!

Good suggestion...but unfortunately, not registered :-(

--
Beware of counterfeits and patent infringements.
- Sam'l Colt

Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac

<kdbv2rFmohlU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16001&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16001

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 26 May 2023 14:46:51 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 26 May 2023 14:46 UTC

On 2023-05-26, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
> On 5/25/23 11:03 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-05-25, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Got an iPod Shuffle 2nd generation that used to sync with ny Mac via
>>> Finder just fine. I did a restore on it to change ownership from my
>>> wife to me after which it would no longer sync with the Mac. It only
>>> shows as an external drive.
>>>
>>> I connected it to a Windows computer running iTunes and was able to
>>> set it up and it syncs fine there. But on the Mac-- which of course
>>> no longer can run iTunes-- it still only shows as an external drive
>>> using Finder or Disk Utility. Mac Music doesn't see the iPod.
>>>
>>> Ideas to fix?
>>
>> I would try resetting it to factory defaults.
>>
> Yup, that was what I initially tried to do and what led to the
> problem. Tried again, still no joy...

I assume you have also tried rebooting the affected Mac, starting the
Music app fresh each time?

I've had similar issues with an old iPod Classic, and restarting
magically fixed the issue. After that it's been smooth sailing.

JR

Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac

<u4t4b6$epd4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16009&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16009

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 10:33:10 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Sat, 27 May 2023 14:33 UTC

On 5/26/23 10:46 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-05-26, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:

>>> I would try resetting it to factory defaults.
>>>
>> Yup, that was what I initially tried to do and what led to the
>> problem. Tried again, still no joy...
>
> I assume you have also tried rebooting the affected Mac, starting the
> Music app fresh each time?
>
> I've had similar issues with an old iPod Classic, and restarting
> magically fixed the issue. After that it's been smooth sailing.

Restarts didn't solve it-- but I extended your suggestion and connected
it to a different Mac which got me to the sync page in Finder.

Thanks!

--
I know things and I fix stuff

Re: Can't Sync iPod Shuffle to Mac

<kdeo0aF54t3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16010&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16010

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 27 May 2023 16:04:26 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 27 May 2023 16:04 UTC

On 2023-05-27, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
> On 5/26/23 10:46 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Yup, that was what I initially tried to do and what led to the
>>> problem. Tried again, still no joy...
>>
>> I assume you have also tried rebooting the affected Mac, starting the
>> Music app fresh each time?
>>
>> I've had similar issues with an old iPod Classic, and restarting
>> magically fixed the issue. After that it's been smooth sailing.
>>
> Restarts didn't solve it-- but I extended your suggestion and
> connected it to a different Mac which got me to the sync page in
> Finder.

Oh, shit - you just reminded me: Another thing I did was plug it into a
different USB port on the same computer (and definitely not into my USB
hub). That has fixed many connection problems for me over the years, to
the extent that it's one of the first things I try any time I have a
problem getting a computer to see a device. I think I forgot to mention
it because it's become second nature to me at this point. Anyway, worth
a shot.

JR