Subject: Change Login Request For Password??
From: NotReal
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:53 UTC
From: NotR...@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:53:30 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
On my server with SSH, when a user logs in and enters a user name, the
response is

user_name@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’s password:

Is it possible to customize the response after “@”?     At the very
least, can it be configured to show

user_name@server_name

I would prefer that the IP address is not in the response.

I have looked at the man pages, but if I missed that section, my
apologies.  I did find how to add a banner, but not how to change the
actual query for the password.

Subject: Re: Change Login Request For Password??
From: William Unruh
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:19 UTC
From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:19:00 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
I don't think that has anything to do with ssh, but is the system's
password prompt.
for me when logging in with ssh, I just get Password:

From: NotReal
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:24 UTC
From: NotR...@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:24:22 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers

user_name@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxBs password:

Is it possible to customize the response after B@B?     At the
very least, can it be configured to show

user_name@server_name

I would prefer that the IP address is not in the response.

I have looked at the man pages, but if I missed that section, my
apologies.  I did find how to add a banner, but not how to change
the actual query for the password.

Interesting.  I had never considered that.  You have given me another
possibility to consider and look into.  Thanks.

From: NotReal
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:51 UTC
From: NotR...@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:51:52 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers

On 2022-01-22, NotReal <NotReal@NoSpam.com> wrote:
On my server with SSH, when a user logs in and enters a user name,
the response is

user_name@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxBs password:

Is it possible to customize the response after B@B?     At the
very least, can it be configured to show

user_name@server_name

I would prefer that the IP address is not in the response.

I have looked at the man pages, but if I missed that section, my
apologies.  I did find how to add a banner, but not how to change
the actual query for the password.

After doing some research with your comment in mind because it was a
good thought, I made some interesting discoveries.   It turns out that
that ssh is only echoing back what I put in.  If I use "ssh -l username
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to login on anther server, I received
"username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx's password:".  On the other hand, if I used
"ssh -l username  hostname",  I received "username@hostame's password:"
It also appears to be true if I use Putty from a Windows PC

That is fine with me, so I guess I am all set.  I was only concerned
that my server was revealing information to the outside world about my
internal network.   Thanks for your help.

From: William Unruh
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:57 UTC
From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:57:36 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
As I said, I get
Password:
nomatter what I enter on the ssh line

You do not say what operating system you are using. Windows, Mac,
Linux,.... on the two machines.

From: NotReal
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 03:47 UTC
From: NotR...@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 03:47:23 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
William Unruh wrote:

As I said, I get
Password:
nomatter what I enter on the ssh line

You do not say what operating system you are using. Windows, Mac,
Linux,.... on the two machines.

My main servers are Slackware but I also have a Pi with Raspbian for a
honeypot along with various window versions as desktops.  I tried
different combinations and the results were all the same as I described
in my last post.