From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: trn: How to search only new messages (i.e., using the THRU line)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:32:54 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:32 UTC

(Yes, this has to do with dealing with the Thai spam mess)

In trn, when it is processing the "kill file", it uses the THRU line to
tell it to ignore old articles (provided you have +k in TRNINIT). This,
obviously, saves a lot of time (as well as other benefits [see below]).

I need it to do the same thing when doing an "ad hoc" search, but can't
figure out how. I want to do:

/message-id.*googlegroups/h:=j

manually (i.e., "ad hoc" while running trn) and have it only find and kill
the new stuff (i.e., not touch old articles, presumably posted by
legitimate Google users). (Yes, implicit in this is "I'm not going to
worry about accidentally killing new legit Google posts - that's a risk I'm
willing to take")

Is this possible?

--
The only thing Trump's made great again is Saturday Night Live.

Re: trn: How to search only new messages (i.e., using the THRU line)

<uhgsk3$2c6tq$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1603&group=news.software.readers#1603

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:39:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:39 UTC

Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:

>(Yes, this has to do with dealing with the Thai spam mess)

Ray Banana and others are supplying NoCeMs. Can you get your News
administrator to process them? The problem should be taken care of at
the server level, not in a kill file.

>In trn, when it is processing the "kill file", it uses the THRU line to
>tell it to ignore old articles (provided you have +k in TRNINIT). This,
>obviously, saves a lot of time (as well as other benefits [see below]).

>I need it to do the same thing when doing an "ad hoc" search, but can't
>figure out how. I want to do:

> /message-id.*googlegroups/h:=j

Kill file based on the G2 client on the X-Newsreader header if you
really want to get rid of all articles posted through Google Groups.

And use h+ as you are probably threading.

>manually (i.e., "ad hoc" while running trn) and have it only find and kill
>the new stuff (i.e., not touch old articles, presumably posted by
>legitimate Google users). (Yes, implicit in this is "I'm not going to
>worry about accidentally killing new legit Google posts - that's a risk I'm
>willing to take")

>Is this possible?

I don't know the recipe to use to operate on new articles only. I will
have to look it up.

Response to Adam Kerman (Was: trn: How to search only new messages (i.e., using the THRU line))

<uhh269$2np3j$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1604&group=news.software.readers#1604

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:14:17 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:14 UTC

In article <uhgsk3$2c6tq$6@dont-email.me>,
Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>
>>(Yes, this has to do with dealing with the Thai spam mess)
>
>Ray Banana and others are supplying NoCeMs. Can you get your News
>administrator to process them? The problem should be taken care of at
>the server level, not in a kill file.

Oh, I agree 1000%. Unfortunately, I don't think any kind of "local"
server-side solution is going to work in my situation. Hence, I'm stuck
with working it via kill files.

I think the only long-term solution is for Usenet to declare the Google
experiment a failure and disconnect from them completely. Call this a UDP
- or something similar.

BTW, not that this next means all that much, but I was discussing this
recently in one of the affected groups (not sure which one). I stated that
a server-side solution was needed, and was told sternly that there was no
server-side solution (*) and that kill files were the only way. I think
the person who said that was FOS, but he sure sounded sure of himself (heh
heh).

(*) His argument was that server administrator simply won't do it, because
they don't see it as their job. It was an odd combination of "can't"
and/or "won't" (heh heh). I am glad to hear that he is/was wrong.

>>I need it to do the same thing when doing an "ad hoc" search, but can't
>>figure out how. I want to do:
>
>> /message-id.*googlegroups/h:=j
>
>>manually (i.e., "ad hoc" while running trn) and have it only find and kill
>>the new stuff (i.e., not touch old articles, presumably posted by
>>legitimate Google users). (Yes, implicit in this is "I'm not going to
>>worry about accidentally killing new legit Google posts - that's a risk I'm
>>willing to take")
>
>>Is this possible?
>
>I don't know the recipe to use to operate on new articles only. I will
>have to look it up.

I hope you are able to do that. Just out of curiosity, what documentation
is there for trn other than the (ancient, cryptic and hard-to-understand)
man page?

Note that what I am seeking may simply not exist, for the simple reason
that:

A) there's no direct connection between what you do manually inside of
trn and the contents of the kill file (which has already been
processed and is essentially out of scope at that point).
and
B) The THRU line will already have been updated (as part of the kill
file processing), so you'd need a way to keep/save/remember the
original value (the one at entry to the group).

--
After 4 years of disastrous screwups, Trump now favors 3 policies that I support:
1) $2K/pp stimulus money. Who doesn't want more money?

Re: Response to Adam Kerman (Was: trn: How to search only new messages (i.e., using the THRU line))

<uhhqg2$2m6te$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1608&group=news.software.readers#1608

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 02:09:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 02:09 UTC

Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>>. . .

>>I don't know the recipe to use to operate on new articles only. I will
>>have to look it up.

>I hope you are able to do that.

It's a matter of playing with regular expressions.

>Just out of curiosity, what documentation
>is there for trn other than the (ancient, cryptic and hard-to-understand)
>man page?

The man page, which was never updated for trn 4 is why trn is always in
"test" configuration,

>Note that what I am seeking may simply not exist, for the simple reason
>that:
>
> A) there's no direct connection between what you do manually inside of
> trn and the contents of the kill file (which has already been
> processed and is essentially out of scope at that point).
>and
> B) The THRU line will already have been updated (as part of the kill
> file processing), so you'd need a way to keep/save/remember the
> original value (the one at entry to the group).

You're right on both points. I'll have to put a lot of thought into it.

Re: Response to Adam Kerman (Was: trn: How to search only new messages (i.e., using the THRU line))

<1svj4chonl183$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1613&group=news.software.readers#1613

From: sqwert...@gmail.compost (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 19:12:55 -0500
 by: Sqwertz - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 00:12 UTC

Then email him ferschristakes.